Re: Where do I get advice about iPads versus Mac's?

Your Name

Feb 25, 2014, 7:21:39 PM2/25/14
In article <2014022514383837123-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom>,
> On 2014-02-25 19:49:22 +0000, Your Name <Your...@YourISP.com> said:
> > In article <2014022423504145549-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom>,
> > Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

> >> Sensible? With Harry Potter in your life, now that is funny.
> >
> > The least sensible people on the planet are those who haven't seen /
> > read Harry Potter because they insanely believe the magic in it is
> > "real" and "bad".
>
> Strangely enough there are those who haven't read or seen anything
> *Harry Potter*, mostly because they haven't bought into the "magic",
> "sorcerer", "wizard", "witchery" BS targeted at prepubescent
> adolescents, and the somewhat silly adults who are along for the ride.
> Personally I am somewhat indifferent to the character, the concept, and
> the series, my preferred reading is mostly non-fiction and non-fantasy.

I never said everyone who has seen / read it was stupid, simply those
who believe it to be "real".

I haven't read the books either and I've only seen bits and pieces of
some of the movies and played some of the games.

> The only believable magic involved is the way J. K. Rowling has managed
> to generate millions of $$ & #, and for that she is to be applauded.

And it's still on-going. There's a Pottermania website and a theme
park. The Narnia and Golden Compass movies tried to cash-in, but didn't
fare so well - I think the Narnia ones have been cancelled (not helped
by having so long between each movie that the main child actors are
simply now too old).

The Angry Birds franchise is also achieving similar results of
"greatness", with games, spin-off merchandise and toys, TV shows, and a
planned movie and theme park.

Erilar

Feb 26, 2014, 1:10:42 PM2/26/14
>".
>
> Strangely enough there are those who haven't read or seen anything *Harry
> Potter*, mostly because they haven't bought into the "magic", "sorcerer",
> "wizard", "witchery" BS targeted at prepubescent adolescents, and the
> somewhat silly adults who are along for the ride.

It's a lot more imaginative than the sparkly vampires and such aimed at
teenagers, which even descriptions of make me gag. There is actually some
excellent fantasy fiction hiding on the "young"adult" shelves here and
there.

> Personally I am somewhat indifferent to the character, the concept, and
> the series, my preferred reading is mostly non-fiction and non-fantasy.

Ah, but some of us enjoy fantasy as well. In fact, there are fantasy
authors who have a better grasp of medieval life and mind set than some of
the horrible but popular "historical" novelists out there.

> The only believable magic involved is the way J. K. Rowling has managed
> to generate millions of $$ & ££, and for that she is to be applauded.

No question there!

--
Erilar, biblioholic medievalist with iPad

Your Name

Feb 26, 2014, 3:11:36 PM2/26/14
In article <2014022612014928934-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom>,

<snip>

> When it comes to fiction, contemporary, or era based, my preference is
> for authors with their work rooted in some sort of reality. or some who
> add an element of humor to their writing.

Even from what little I've seen of the movies, there's quite a bit of
humour in Harry Potter.
Message has been deleted

Savageduck

Feb 27, 2014, 9:36:17 PM2/27/14
On 2014-02-28 01:47:12 +0000, Erilar <dra...@chibardun.netinvalid> said:

> Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
>> I haven't seen, or had any desire to see any of the movies.
>
> Unlike the vast majority of movies "based on" books, these are remarkably
> close to the books,

I wouldn't know not having read the books or seen the movies.

> unlike the Lord of the Rings movies.

As far as Lord of the Rings goes, I haven't seen any of the Peter
Jackson NZ productions, but back in the 70's when I was an obvious
refugee from the 60's I quite enjoyed the Ralph Bakshi animated
version. Bakshi always had a slightly twisted view of the World
expressed in his animated work starting with his somewhat twisted
X-rated "Fritz The Cat" & "Heavy Traffic". Those laid the foundation
for "Wizards" his testbed for his rendition of Tolkien's work.

Now that was entertaining and humorous fantasy stuff, but I was 40
years younger back then.

--
Regards,

Savageduck

Savageduck

Feb 26, 2014, 8:18:22 PM2/26/14
On 2014-02-26 23:52:42 +0000, Your Name <Your...@YourISP.com> said:

> In article <2014022612380332774-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom>,
> Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
>
>> On 2014-02-26 20:11:36 +0000, Your Name <Your...@YourISP.com> said:
>>
>> I haven't seen, or had any desire to see any of the movies.
>
> Me neither, but you said you liked books with an element of humour, and
> Harry Potter does seem to have that (but I haven't read them).

Hell! I like Wile E. Coyote and the RoadRunner. I can find humor &
silliness in all sorts of places without delving into adolescent
fantasy, I have my own.
<
http://hdfons.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/wile_e_coyote_vector_by_thoomas-wallpaper.jpg

--
Regards,

Savageduck

tlvp

Feb 26, 2014, 9:35:02 PM2/26/14
On Thu, 27 Feb 2014 09:11:36 +1300, Your Name wrote:

> Even from what little I've seen of the movies, there's quite a bit of
> humour in Harry Potter.

Indeed, it's all rather a big joke, whose author is laughing all the way to
the bank and home again :-) . Cheers, -- tlvp

Your Name

Feb 27, 2014, 12:12:05 AM2/27/14
In article <114qluz7neq8t$.k5m363c...@40tude.net>, tlvp
<mPiOsUcB...@att.net> wrote:
> On Thu, 27 Feb 2014 09:11:36 +1300, Your Name wrote:
> >
> > Even from what little I've seen of the movies, there's quite a bit of
> > humour in Harry Potter.
>
> Indeed, it's all rather a big joke, whose author is laughing all the way to
> the bank and home again :-) . Cheers, -- tlvp

The only one I can think of at the moment is the giant three-headed
guard dog which is named Fluffy.
Message has been deleted

Savageduck

Your Name

Feb 26, 2014, 6:52:42 PM2/26/14
In article <2014022612380332774-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom>,

> On 2014-02-26 20:11:36 +0000, Your Name <Your...@YourISP.com> said:
>
> > In article <2014022612014928934-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom>,
> > Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
> >>
> > <snip>
> >>
> >> When it comes to fiction, contemporary, or era based, my preference is
> >> for authors with their work rooted in some sort of reality. or some who
> >> add an element of humor to their writing.
> >
> > Even from what little I've seen of the movies, there's quite a bit of
> > humour in Harry Potter.
>
> I haven't seen, or had any desire to see any of the movies.

Your Name

Feb 25, 2014, 2:49:22 PM2/25/14