SCSI hard drive question

pedro

Apr 5, 2005, 9:35:23 AM4/5/05

Hi all! :)

I bought a 9.1 gig SCSI hard drive for my PowerMac 7300/180, but when I
ran Drive Setup, and cliked on the drive, I got the message -

'Cannot modify a disk with non 512 byte sectors'

and the initialize button is greyed out so I cannot initialize it. Does
this mean that I cannot use this drive? Or is there some way around this?

TIA,

--

rgds,

Pete
-----
http://pedro.spyw.com
The time here is- http://tinyurl.com/6sfgd
'Why don't we ever see the headline "Psychic Wins Lottery"?'

Brian Paul Ehni

Apr 5, 2005, 7:19:36 PM4/5/05
On 4/5/05 8:35 AM, in article vuw4e.1138$5F3...@news-server.bigpond.net.au,
"pedro" <pe...@nowhere.com> wrote:

> Hi all! :)
>
> I bought a 9.1 gig SCSI hard drive for my PowerMac 7300/180, but when I
> ran Drive Setup, and cliked on the drive, I got the message -
>
> 'Cannot modify a disk with non 512 byte sectors'
>
> and the initialize button is greyed out so I cannot initialize it. Does
> this mean that I cannot use this drive? Or is there some way around this?
>
> TIA,

Sounds like you've got a drive formatted in a way Mac's don't understand.
Also, it is likely that your drive is not supported by Apple's Drive Setup,
which means you need a third-party solution.

Try looking for LaCie "Silverlining" or FWB's HD Toolkit.
--
Brian Ehni

David C.

Apr 7, 2005, 5:43:35 PM4/7/05
pedro <pe...@nowhere.com> writes:

> I bought a 9.1 gig SCSI hard drive for my PowerMac 7300/180, but when
> I ran Drive Setup, and cliked on the drive, I got the message -
>
> 'Cannot modify a disk with non 512 byte sectors'
>
> and the initialize button is greyed out so I cannot initialize
> it. Does this mean that I cannot use this drive? Or is there some way
> around this?

Apple's Drive Setup utility, when used on SCSI drives, doesn't
generally like to work with third-party drives. Which is annoying,
since it works just fine with third-party IDE drives.

As someone else wrote, a third-party formatting tool should work.

I know of three, all of which are commercial products.

CharisMac's Anubis ($89):
http://www.charismac.com/Products/Anubis

LaCie's SilverLining. Unfortunately, I think this utility can no longer
be purchased as a standalone product. It is bundled with many LaCie
products.

FWB's Hard Disk Toolkit ($89):
http://www.fwb.com/html/hard_disk_toolkit.html

-- David

pedro

Apr 8, 2005, 11:11:27 PM4/8/05
David C. wrote:

I did manage to get some TP programs, but I still cannot get it to
install. Are there some limitations with regards my Mac PM7300 and/or OS
version 8.1 and/or the design or size of some drives perhaps?

--

rgds,

'My Karma just ran over your Dogma'

pedro

Apr 8, 2005, 11:11:27 PM4/8/05
Brian Paul Ehni wrote:

I did manage to get some TP programs, but I still cannot get it to
install. Are there some limitations with regards my Mac PM7300 and/or OS
version 8.1 and/or the design or size of some drives perhaps?

--

rgds,

'Champagne for our real friends and real pain for our sham friends!'

Brian Paul Ehni

Apr 9, 2005, 12:57:15 AM4/9/05
On 4/8/05 10:11 PM, in article
zJH5e.4595$5F3....@news-server.bigpond.net.au, "pedro" <pe...@nowhere.com>
wrote:

> I did manage to get some TP programs, but I still cannot get it to
> install. Are there some limitations with regards my Mac PM7300 and/or OS
> version 8.1 and/or the design or size of some drives perhaps?

None that I am aware of. SCSI can be very finicky; make sure the jumpers for
your model drive are set properly.

This usually means the drive is terminated and set to ID 0 (zero). There may
be other jumpers on your drive (delay motor start, write protect, etc.) that
need to be set as well.
--
Brian Ehni

Philip Meech

Apr 9, 2005, 2:08:06 PM4/9/05
pedro wrote:

There are some definite limits, but I can't remember whether it is 1 or
2 gigs. MacTracker should tell you. www.mactracker.com. If you
initialize and then partition with FWB
HD Toolkit, it should work.

Wally

Apr 9, 2005, 2:27:49 PM4/9/05

On 5/4/05 21:35, in article vuw4e.1138$5F3...@news-server.bigpond.net.au,
"pedro" <pe...@nowhere.com> wrote:

> Hi all! :)
>
> I bought a 9.1 gig SCSI hard drive for my PowerMac 7300/180, but when I
> ran Drive Setup, and cliked on the drive, I got the message -
>
> 'Cannot modify a disk with non 512 byte sectors'
>
> and the initialize button is greyed out so I cannot initialize it. Does
> this mean that I cannot use this drive? Or is there some way around this?
>
> TIA,

Have just put a hacked copy of HD_SC in alt.binaries.test2
(subject:..HD_SC) it might help initialize your drive...good luck!

Brian Paul Ehni

Apr 9, 2005, 4:16:54 PM4/9/05
On 4/9/05 1:27 PM, in article BE7E4016.821B%wa...@wally.world.net, "Wally"
<wa...@wally.world.net> wrote:

I can't find this group in giganews, only "alt.binaries.test"
--
Brian Ehni

Brian Paul Ehni

Apr 9, 2005, 4:23:01 PM4/9/05
<wa...@wally.world.net> wrote:

> Have just put a hacked copy of HD_SC in alt.binaries.test2
> (subject:..HD_SC) it might help initialize your drive...good luck!

Let me be a little more specific.

Entourage 2004 did not find "alt.binaries.test2" in my Comcast-provided
Giganews account, though it did show "alt.binaries.test".

MT-NewsWatcher, using the same account, showed it.
--
Brian Ehni

Brian Paul Ehni

Apr 9, 2005, 4:19:12 PM4/9/05
On 4/9/05 1:27 PM, in article BE7E4016.821B%wa...@wally.world.net, "Wally"
<wa...@wally.world.net> wrote:

Did find it in MT-NewsWatcher! Thanks!
--
Brian Ehni

lee doran

Apr 10, 2005, 5:50:09 PM4/10/05

>> I did manage to get some TP programs, but I still cannot get it to
>> install. Are there some limitations with regards my Mac PM7300 and/or
>> OS version 8.1 and/or the design or size of some drives perhaps?
>>

> There are some definite limits, but I can't remember whether it is 1 or
> 2 gigs. MacTracker should tell you. www.mactracker.com. If you
> initialize and then partition with FWB
> HD Toolkit, it should work.

The limit is 2 Terabytes for that system, larger than any drive yet made.

Wally

Apr 11, 2005, 2:37:13 AM4/11/05

On 10/4/05 4:23, in article BE7DA3D5.26584%be...@comcast.net, "Brian Paul
Ehni" <be...@comcast.net> wrote:

That's strange....anyway I just put it in alt.binaries.test as well.
No word from pedro yes So I wonder if it was any help, it did get me out of
trouble years ago on an 840av.

Brian Paul Ehni

Apr 11, 2005, 8:43:04 PM4/11/05
On 4/11/05 1:37 AM, in article BE803C8B.986D%wa...@wally.world.net, "Wally"
<wa...@wally.world.net> wrote:

I don't do much support for the classic Operating Systems anymore, but you
can bet I downloaded it in case!
--
Brian Ehni

David Morrison

Apr 13, 2005, 8:00:48 PM4/13/05
In article <BE7E4016.821B%wa...@wally.world.net>,
Wally <wa...@wally.world.net> wrote:

> Have just put a hacked copy of HD_SC in alt.binaries.test2
> (subject:..HD_SC) it might help initialize your drive...good luck!

I am having some similar SCSI problems, and thought this would be
useful. But I cannot see alt.binaries.test(2) anywhere. Any chance of
getting it somewhere else? Eg, e-mail to my junk mail address above and
I will look for it amongst the spam.

Thanks

David