Looking for vintage Macintosh parts

Jesse

Jan 17, 2013, 5:19:31 PM1/17/13
I'm currently looking for the following items to help in restoration of
several Macintosh II models:

PRAM Batteries
IIcx/IIci Power Supplies
3.5" Floppy Drives - both manual and auto-inject
SCSI Hard Drives (any size)

Also in need of a IIgs power supply to finish off a ROM03 system.

I'm also looking for someone who has the skills to replace capacitors
on about 20 vintage Macintosh computers.

I'm located in St. Louis MO and am willing to have items shipped to me,
or pick up if within a decent range.

Cheers,
Jesse

Jolly Roger

Jan 17, 2013, 5:28:50 PM1/17/13
In article <kd9tdj$oqu$1...@usenet.blueworldhosting.com>,
Jesse <jesse....@blueworldhosting.com> wrote:

> I'm currently looking for the following items to help in restoration of
> several Macintosh II models:
>
> PRAM Batteries
> IIcx/IIci Power Supplies
> 3.5" Floppy Drives - both manual and auto-inject
> SCSI Hard Drives (any size)
>
> Also in need of a IIgs power supply to finish off a ROM03 system.

I think most of the older Macintosh equipment I've purchased over the
years probably came from eBay.

On the several occasions where I couldn't find what I wanted on eBay, I
have a few different web sites bookmarked that sell or refurbish old Mac
stuff. In no particular order:

<http://apple-parts.com>
<http://applecomponents.com>
<http://www.applemacdeals.com>
<http://www.applepalace.com>
<http://www.dvwarehouse.com>
<http://www.sunsetmac.com>
<http://www.welovemacs.com>

Note: I haven't visited some of these in quite a long time.

> I'm also looking for someone who has the skills to replace capacitors
> on about 20 vintage Macintosh computers.
>
> I'm located in St. Louis MO and am willing to have items shipped to me,
> or pick up if within a decent range.

I've used this guy a few times to replace bad caps on several iMac
motherboards at around $80 a pop. He may still be doing that.

<http://badcaps.net>

JR

Jesse Rehmer

Jan 17, 2013, 9:17:24 PM1/17/13
Thanks for the links. I'm familiar with the few that still carry
pre-PowerPC parts. I can find all of it on eBay but am not willing to
pay inflated prices for parts. It is one thing to pay for someone's
work in restoring a system-cleaning, repairing, and making it ready for
a new home, but when some people want as much for a power supply as I
can sell the entire IIci for it isn't worth it. I'm not looking to
keep the 20ish machines I need to fix up either and I'd like to be able
to sell them for reasonable prices.

A few of them have A/UX on them and those are the ones I'm most
interested in restoring and getting to new homes. I've stumbled upon
badcaps.net a few times, but again those prices are a little too steep
for me. I'm not a total cheapwad, I just do not want to pay $60 for a
IIci power supply when I can probably only get $50 for the whole
working machine.

Cheers,
Jesse

Jolly Roger

Jan 18, 2013, 9:34:02 AM1/18/13
In article <kdabbk$saj$1...@usenet.blueworldhosting.com>,
You can do it yourself for a LOT cheaper. Head over to
http://www.mouser.com and order the caps you need for cheap, and then
solder them on yourself. I've done it a few times. It's a bit of a pain,
but not impossible.

Jesse Rehmer

Jan 18, 2013, 9:24:40 PM1/18/13
Jolly Roger wrote:
> In article<kdabbk$saj$1...@usenet.blueworldhosting.com>,
> Jesse Rehmer<jesse....@blueworldhosting.com> wrote:
>
> You can do it yourself for a LOT cheaper. Head over to
> http://www.mouser.com and order the caps you need for cheap, and then
> solder them on yourself. I've done it a few times. It's a bit of a pain,
> but not impossible.

I know it is inexpensive, but I have zero soldering experience and do
not want to ruin any of the boards as they are all working right now
(though some are missing sound due to caps, etc.).

-Jesse

Jolly Roger

Jan 19, 2013, 11:13:46 AM1/19/13
In article <kdd059$kkl$1...@usenet.blueworldhosting.com>,
Then unfortunately, you are going to have to pay someone to do it. : )
I can do it, but have no time for it (which is partly why I started
using badcaps.net to begin with). Sorry I couldn't be of more help!
Message has been deleted

pring...@gmail.com

Jan 20, 2013, 10:55:57 PM1/20/13
Hi Jesse,

I should have a few auto-inject Superdrives available. How much were you willing to pick them up for? I could also do trades for other vintage Mac stuff. Thanks!

Also, if you check on 68kmla.net, there are a few people there that are willing to do cap repairs for around $30-35. This guy in particular does good work:

http://68kmla.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=20193

-Jeff

Hauke Fath

Jan 21, 2013, 9:42:24 AM1/21/13
Jesse Rehmer <jesse....@blueworldhosting.com> wrote:

> [...] I have zero soldering experience and do
> not want to ruin any of the boards as they are all working right now
> (though some are missing sound due to caps, etc.).

Then get a few peecee motherboards from the dump, and practise. Where do
you think the rest of the world got their (de)soldering skills? ;)

hauke

--
Now without signature.

Jolly Roger

Jan 21, 2013, 11:30:47 AM1/21/13
In article <1kx20ws.56m2uu1yva8liN%dont.spa...@googlemail.com>,
Yep. It takes practice, for sure - especially for very thick multi-layer
PCBs.

pring...@gmail.com

Jan 21, 2013, 5:27:57 PM1/21/13
to Hauke Fath
Yeah, quite honestly it won't be cost-effective for others to do the work for you for 20 Macs if you aren't keeping any of them. The majority of classic Mac collectors aren't really willing to pay a notable premium for recaps to make the $30-$35 cost worth it.

What I did to learn was grab a few junk VCRs from a local university's dumpster and practice removing the caps from them. It admittedly is intimidating at 1st sight but the IIci/IIcx motherboards are one of the easier Mac boards to recap.

This page is a good resource for the step-by-step recapping process with lots of clear pics:

http://www.classicmac.net/reference/caps/

This is probably your cheapest source for PRAM batteries:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/21-XENO-1-2-AA-3-6v-LITHIUM-BATTERY-XL-050F-Dog-Tracking-Collar-/200881805172?pt=US_Single_Use_Batteries&hash=item2ec57d1774

This 68kmla.net forum post lists all the caps you will need for the IIci/IIcx:

http://68kmla.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=19763

And I just checked my stock - I should have two of each type of internal floppy drive (manual/auto-inject). Let me know how much you were willing to pick them up/trade for them. Thanks!

-Jeff

tony.t...@btinternet.com

Jan 28, 2013, 8:36:59 AM1/28/13
I can supply some refurbished iicx power supplies but as i am in the uk it may not be economic as the PSU is 50 GBP before postage.

regards Tony

bi...@mix.com

Mar 7, 2013, 1:51:12 AM3/7/13
Hauke Fath <dont.spa...@googlemail.com> writes:

> Then get a few peecee motherboards from the dump, and practise. Where do
> you think the rest of the world got their (de)soldering skills? ;)

When it comes to desoldering, nothing beats this -

http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/80-2-5/80-2-5-ND/306981

And when I say nothing, that especially includes the
many clones of this one.

Billy Y..
--
sub #'9+1 ,r0 ; convert ascii byte
add #9.+1 ,r0 ; to an integer

Jeffrey Luan

May 6, 2013, 12:18:39 AM5/6/13
OK, I know I said I couldn't do the job earlier, but I now have the resources to do recaps.

I would want $20 + shipping both ways (which would come to around $15 total) Let me know, thanks.

-Jeff

Jolly Roger

May 7, 2013, 12:05:52 PM5/7/13
In article <fe086eb3-c646-4a62...@googlegroups.com>,
Jeffrey Luan <pring...@gmail.com> wrote:

> OK, I know I said I couldn't do the job earlier, but I now have the resources
> to do recaps.
>
> I would want $20 + shipping both ways (which would come to around $15 total)
> Let me know, thanks.
>
> -Jeff

That's a LOT cheaper than http://badcaps.net. Maybe you should
advertise... : )

artic...@gmail.com

Sep 15, 2013, 10:37:14 PM9/15/13
On Thursday, January 17, 2013 2:19:31 PM UTC-8, Jesse wrote:
did u ever find what you were looking for,ive got most of it.