Which Processor Generation in My iMac?

Wade Garrett

Jun 29, 2021, 11:25:31 AM6/29/21
What generation Core i5 processor is in this 21.5" 1 TB Fusion Drive
iMac-- and what is the model date?

"About This Mac--Hardware Overview"
Model Name: iMac
Model Identifier: iMac19,2
Processor Name: 6-Core Intel Core i5
Processor Speed: 3 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 6
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 9 MB
Memory: 8 GB

nospam

Jun 29, 2021, 11:39:46 AM6/29/21
In article <sbfe18$hu4$1...@dont-email.me>, Wade Garrett <wa...@cooler.net>
wrote:

> What generation Core i5 processor is in this 21.5" 1 TB Fusion Drive
> iMac-- and what is the model date?
>
> "About This Mac--Hardware Overview"
> Model Name: iMac
> Model Identifier: iMac19,2

<https://everymac.com/systems/apple/imac/specs/imac-core-i5-3.0-21-inch-
aluminum-retina-4k-early-2019-specs.html>
Apple iMac 21.5-Inch "Core i5" 3.0 (4K, 2019) Specs
Identifiers: Retina 4K, 21.5-Inch, 2019 - MRT42LL/A* -
iMac19,2 - A2116 - 3195
Introduction Date: March 19, 2019
Discontinued Date: April 20, 2021
This model is powered by a 14 nm, 64-bit "8th Generation" Intel
Mobile Core i5 "Coffee Lake" (I5-8500) processor which includes six
independent processor "cores" on a single silicon chip. Each core has
a dedicated 256k level 2 cache, shares 9 MB of level 3 cache, and has
an integrated memory controller (dual channel). It supports Turbo
Boost up to 4.1 GHz.

if what you're really asking is 'can i run windows 11 on it?', the
answer is not officially, but it may still be possible.

<https://appleinsider.com/articles/21/06/25/intel-macs-cant-run-windows-
11-without-this-workaround>
When it's finally released, Windows 11 will require a processor with
TPM 2.0 support and a compatible motherboard to install, but this
isn't fully available in Macs at present. But ã there are workarounds.
Ä iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, 2017)
Any Mac in the lineup released before the models mentioned will
never officially support Windows 11. Any Mac released after these
models still running Intel-based processors will have the necessary
requirements to run the operating system, but official support hasn't
been provided, and we're not expecting it.

But, using a workaround, users can bypass the TPM 2.0 requirement.
This means that, with the workaround, Windows 11 will work on any Mac
capable of running Windows 10 that meets the other minimum specs.

Wade Garrett

Jun 29, 2021, 12:43:24 PM6/29/21
> isn't fully available in Macs at present. But ‹ there are workarounds.
> € iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, 2017)
> Any Mac in the lineup released before the models mentioned will
> never officially support Windows 11. Any Mac released after these
> models still running Intel-based processors will have the necessary
> requirements to run the operating system, but official support hasn't
> been provided, and we're not expecting it.
>
> But, using a workaround, users can bypass the TPM 2.0 requirement.
> This means that, with the workaround, Windows 11 will work on any Mac
> capable of running Windows 10 that meets the other minimum specs.

Thanks for that info. Only reason I posted was curiosity about what
generation the processor is.

JF Mezei

Jun 29, 2021, 12:49:42 PM6/29/21
On 2021-06-29 11:25, Wade Garrett wrote:
> What generation Core i5 processor is in this 21.5" 1 TB Fusion Drive
> iMac-- and what is the model date?

All you've wanted to know about the actual CPU in your box:

from command line:

sudo sysctl -a machdep.cpu

In particular:

machdep.cpu.brand_string: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2690 v2 @ 3.00GHz
machdep.cpu.cores_per_package: 16
machdep.cpu.address_bits.physical: 46
machdep.cpu.address_bits.virtual: 48
machdep.cpu.core_count: 10
machdep.cpu.thread_count: 20

In my case, it means the chip was fabbed with 16 cores but only 10 are
activated.
It also says that for physical RAM it only looks at first 46 bits in the
hardware memory controller (so max RAM of 70 TB if I am not mistaken),
but for a program, it looks at first 48 bits when doing the virtual to
physical memory mapping.

nospam

Jun 29, 2021, 1:08:15 PM6/29/21
In article <DaICI.1820$P64...@fx47.iad>, JF Mezei
<jfmezei...@vaxination.ca> wrote:

> > What generation Core i5 processor is in this 21.5" 1 TB Fusion Drive
> > iMac-- and what is the model date?
>

> All you've wanted to know about the actual CPU in your box:
>

> from command line:
>
> sudo sysctl -a machdep.cpu

except for the two specific things he asked for.

johnson

Jun 29, 2021, 2:27:58 PM6/29/21
On 2021-06-29, JF Mezei <jfmezei...@vaxination.ca> wrote:
> On 2021-06-29 11:25, Wade Garrett wrote:
>> What generation Core i5 processor is in this 21.5" 1 TB Fusion Drive
>> iMac-- and what is the model date?
>

> All you've wanted to know about the actual CPU in your box:
>

> from command line:
>
> sudo sysctl -a machdep.cpu

don't need sudo here

JF Mezei

Jun 29, 2021, 4:06:47 PM6/29/21
On 2021-06-29 13:08, nospam wrote:

>> sudo sysctl -a machdep.cpu
>
> except for the two specific things he asked for.

machdep.cpu.brand_string: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2690 v2 @ 3.00GHz

If you enter the full "brand string" in Google, it shoudl being you to a
page on ark.intel.com that has the specs for that specific CPU.

In my case:
Product Collection Intel® Xeon® Processor E5 v2 Family
Code Name Products formerly Ivy Bridge EP

So Ivy Bridge generation.

nospam

Jun 29, 2021, 4:11:30 PM6/29/21
In article <n3LCI.3123$P64...@fx47.iad>, JF Mezei
<jfmezei...@vaxination.ca> wrote:

> >> sudo sysctl -a machdep.cpu
> >
> > except for the two specific things he asked for.
> >

> machdep.cpu.brand_string: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2690 v2 @ 3.00GHz
>

> If you enter the full "brand string" in Google, it shoudl being you to a
> page on ark.intel.com that has the specs for that specific CPU.

like i said, it doesn't answer the two things he asked for.

he could also enter the mac model number into a search engine and get
the everymac spec page which goes into great detail about the specs.

Lewis

Jun 29, 2021, 4:40:35 PM6/29/21
In message <sbfe18$hu4$1...@dont-email.me> Wade Garrett <wa...@cooler.net> wrote:
> What generation Core i5 processor is in this 21.5" 1 TB Fusion Drive
> iMac-- and what is the model date?

There is a free app, MacTracker, for iOS and macOS that has information
on every Apple product.

> Processor Name: 6-Core Intel Core i5

That is the Intel 8500

--