Do you use a password manager?

Unbreakable Disease

Jul 12, 2021, 5:53:33 AM7/12/21
My 50-year old brain isn't capable of memorizing that many passwords
anymore, so I use KeePassXC. I keep basically everything here including
my financial passwords and credit card data, with the exception of
passwords that I would have to remember anyway (full-disk encryption,
login, primary e-mail passwords, etc.)

Overall, it's much easier to remember and much harder to forget 10
complicated passwords that you use everyday than 100+ simple passwords
you use every month or even less.

I can't speak about Windows version of KeePass, because with the
exception of playing games not available on Macintosh, I haven't used
one since Windows 95 days.
--
Tip me: bc1qtwmjzywve5v7z6jzk4dkg7v6masw2erpahsn9f

bitcoin:bc1qtwmjzywve5v7z6jzk4dkg7v6masw2erpahsn9f

Wade Garrett

Jul 12, 2021, 7:37:41 AM7/12/21
On 7/12/21 5:53 AM, Unbreakable Disease wrote:
> My 50-year old brain isn't capable of memorizing that many passwords
> anymore, so I use KeePassXC. I keep basically everything here including
> my financial passwords and credit card data, with the exception of
> passwords that I would have to remember anyway (full-disk encryption,
> login, primary e-mail passwords, etc.)
>
> Overall, it's much easier to remember and much harder to forget 10
> complicated passwords that you use everyday than 100+ simple passwords
> you use every month or even less.
>
> I can't speak about Windows version of KeePass, because with the
> exception of playing games not available on Macintosh, I haven't used
> one since Windows 95 days.

I'd like to use a password manager but I'm not comfortable with that
data being on some server somewhere- allegedly encrypted or not.

If there's one that keeps the data just on the local machine, I'd be
interested.

I keep a spreadsheet with my PWs on my FileVault-encrypted iMac hard
drive and copy/paste to logins that need to stay secure- financial,
vendors, healthcare, etc.

I always log out before leaving the house.

nospam

Jul 12, 2021, 7:41:22 AM7/12/21
In article <sch9i1$k05$1...@dont-email.me>, Wade Garrett <wa...@cooler.net>
wrote:

> I'd like to use a password manager but I'm not comfortable with that
> data being on some server somewhere- allegedly encrypted or not.
>
> If there's one that keeps the data just on the local machine, I'd be
> interested.

most do, but that means syncing between devices will be limited or
non-existent.

Andy K.

Jul 12, 2021, 9:14:57 AM7/12/21
I'm using KeepassX which is purely local, and am very happy with it.

AndyK

Scott Alfter

Jul 12, 2021, 11:17:47 AM7/12/21
In article <sch9i1$k05$1...@dont-email.me>, Wade Garrett <wa...@cooler.net> wrote:
>On 7/12/21 5:53 AM, Unbreakable Disease wrote:
>> My 50-year old brain isn't capable of memorizing that many passwords
>> anymore, so I use KeePassXC. I keep basically everything here including
>> my financial passwords and credit card data, with the exception of
>> passwords that I would have to remember anyway (full-disk encryption,
>> login, primary e-mail passwords, etc.)
>>
>> Overall, it's much easier to remember and much harder to forget 10
>> complicated passwords that you use everyday than 100+ simple passwords
>> you use every month or even less.
>>
>> I can't speak about Windows version of KeePass, because with the
>> exception of playing games not available on Macintosh, I haven't used
>> one since Windows 95 days.
>
>I'd like to use a password manager but I'm not comfortable with that
>data being on some server somewhere- allegedly encrypted or not.
>
>If there's one that keeps the data just on the local machine, I'd be
>interested.

KeePass stores its file wherever you tell it. It could be local storage,
storage on a server you control (as on a VPS or a dedicated server), or
whatever cloud storage is supported on the OS you're using. I use a WebDAV
share on a VPS. It's accessible to my phone and my computers, but not to
others. (I suppose Linode could grab the file, but without the password to
unlock it, it's useless to anybody else.)

_/_
(IIGS( https://alfter.us/ Top-posting!
\_^_/ >What's the most annoying thing on Usenet?

Rich

Jul 12, 2021, 11:40:41 AM7/12/21
In comp.misc Wade Garrett <wa...@cooler.net> wrote:
> On 7/12/21 5:53 AM, Unbreakable Disease wrote:
>> My 50-year old brain isn't capable of memorizing that many passwords
>> anymore, so I use KeePassXC. I keep basically everything here including
>> my financial passwords and credit card data, with the exception of
>> passwords that I would have to remember anyway (full-disk encryption,
>> login, primary e-mail passwords, etc.)
>>
>> Overall, it's much easier to remember and much harder to forget 10
>> complicated passwords that you use everyday than 100+ simple passwords
>> you use every month or even less.
>>
>> I can't speak about Windows version of KeePass, because with the
>> exception of playing games not available on Macintosh, I haven't used
>> one since Windows 95 days.
>
> I'd like to use a password manager but I'm not comfortable with that
> data being on some server somewhere- allegedly encrypted or not.
>
> If there's one that keeps the data just on the local machine, I'd be
> interested.

This one stores everything locally:
https://github.com/zdia/gorilla

There are probably others that do so as well.

Keith Thompson

Jul 12, 2021, 2:52:42 PM7/12/21
[I don't know why the OP cross-posted to alt.atheism. I've dropped it]
I use PasswordSafe https://pwsafe.org/ .

It's a Windows application with clones available for Android, iOS, and Mac.

There's a Linux version, available as "passwordsafe" in the Ubuntu repos
(and presumably others), but I haven't gotten it to work.

password-gorilla is a Linux application that uses the same file format
and should be available in the package repos for most distributions.

Keeping the database synchronized across devices is left as an exercise.

--
Keith Thompson (The_Other_Keith) Keith.S.T...@gmail.com
Working, but not speaking, for Philips

Lewis

Jul 12, 2021, 3:58:47 PM7/12/21
In message <874kcz5...@nosuchdomain.example.com> Keith Thompson <Keith.S.T...@gmail.com> wrote:
> [I don't know why the OP cross-posted to alt.atheism. I've dropped it]

> Wade Garrett <wa...@cooler.net> writes:
>> On 7/12/21 5:53 AM, Unbreakable Disease wrote:
>>> My 50-year old brain isn't capable of memorizing that many passwords
>>> anymore, so I use KeePassXC. I keep basically everything here
>>> including my financial passwords and credit card data, with the
>>> exception of passwords that I would have to remember anyway
>>> (full-disk encryption, login, primary e-mail passwords, etc.)
>>> Overall, it's much easier to remember and much harder to forget 10
>>> complicated passwords that you use everyday than 100+ simple
>>> passwords you use every month or even less.
>>> I can't speak about Windows version of KeePass, because with the
>>> exception of playing games not available on Macintosh, I haven't
>>> used one since Windows 95 days.
>>
>> I'd like to use a password manager but I'm not comfortable with that
>> data being on some server somewhere- allegedly encrypted or not.

There is no "allegedly" about the encryption with LastPass, 1password,
or BitWarden. I know all three of these have been certified and tested
by third parties.

Having them on a server makes it simple to sync them to multiple
devices. At least 1Password can be synced manaully, and I would not be
surprised if the others allowed this in some way as well.

>> I keep a spreadsheet with my PWs on my FileVault-encrypted iMac hard
>> drive and copy/paste to logins that need to stay secure- financial,
>> vendors, healthcare, etc.

That is a very inefficient system, but it is a lot better than what
some people do. It also encourages patterns of passwords. One of the
main advantages of a manager is truly random passwords.

> I use PasswordSafe https://pwsafe.org/ .

> It's a Windows application with clones available for Android, iOS, and Mac.

> There's a Linux version, available as "passwordsafe" in the Ubuntu repos
> (and presumably others), but I haven't gotten it to work.

> password-gorilla is a Linux application that uses the same file format
> and should be available in the package repos for most distributions.

> Keeping the database synchronized across devices is left as an exercise.

And that means you end up with not having the password you need unless
you limit your use of the Internet to a single machine.

--
Everything you say is so boring, I replace it with dubstep.

Keith Thompson

Jul 12, 2021, 4:15:39 PM7/12/21
Lewis <g.k...@kreme.dont-email.me> writes:
> In message <874kcz5...@nosuchdomain.example.com> Keith Thompson <Keith.S.T...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]
>> I use PasswordSafe https://pwsafe.org/ .
>
>> It's a Windows application with clones available for Android, iOS, and Mac.
>
>> There's a Linux version, available as "passwordsafe" in the Ubuntu repos
>> (and presumably others), but I haven't gotten it to work.
>
>> password-gorilla is a Linux application that uses the same file format
>> and should be available in the package repos for most distributions.
>
>> Keeping the database synchronized across devices is left as an exercise.
>
> And that means you end up with not having the password you need unless
> you limit your use of the Internet to a single machine.

Not if I replicate the encrypted database across the machines I use.
I understand that that could open a potential security hole if
I'm not sufficiently careful. But if I *am* sufficiently careful,
my database doesn't exist on anyone else's server.

nospam

Jul 12, 2021, 4:27:08 PM7/12/21
In article <87zgur4...@nosuchdomain.example.com>, Keith Thompson
<Keith.S.T...@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> Keeping the database synchronized across devices is left as an exercise.
> >
> > And that means you end up with not having the password you need unless
> > you limit your use of the Internet to a single machine.
>
> Not if I replicate the encrypted database across the machines I use.
> I understand that that could open a potential security hole if
> I'm not sufficiently careful. But if I *am* sufficiently careful,
> my database doesn't exist on anyone else's server.

and if you forget to sync it, murphy's law states that you won't have
the password you need.

computers are there to do work *for* you.

Keith Thompson

Jul 12, 2021, 4:48:21 PM7/12/21
Of course. That happens now and then. The solution is to go back and
sync it.

> computers are there to do work *for* you.

I'm not going to go into too much detail about *how* I synchronize my
password database. I'm not confident that my method is sufficiently
secure. (Yes, I'm doing "security through obscurity", but only as a
layer on top of other methods.)

I'm comfortable with the amount of manual work my method requires.
Others won't be.

But what do you suggest?

nospam

Jul 12, 2021, 5:14:34 PM7/12/21
In article <87v95f4...@nosuchdomain.example.com>, Keith Thompson
<Keith.S.T...@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> Not if I replicate the encrypted database across the machines I use.
> >> I understand that that could open a potential security hole if
> >> I'm not sufficiently careful. But if I *am* sufficiently careful,
> >> my database doesn't exist on anyone else's server.
> >
> > and if you forget to sync it, murphy's law states that you won't have
> > the password you need.
>
> Of course. That happens now and then. The solution is to go back and
> sync it.

no, the solution is to have it automatically sync.

> > computers are there to do work *for* you.

^^this^^

> I'm not going to go into too much detail about *how* I synchronize my
> password database

you already said how: you manually sync it.

automatically syncing means a new or changed entry is available on
other devices within seconds, no additional effort required.

Keith Thompson

Jul 12, 2021, 5:43:32 PM7/12/21
nospam <nos...@nospam.invalid> writes:

>> > and if you forget to sync it, murphy's law states that you won't have
>> > the password you need.
>>
>> Of course. That happens now and then. The solution is to go back and
>> sync it.
>
> no, the solution is to have it automatically sync.

The solution *I use* is to go back and sync it. It works.

>> > computers are there to do work *for* you.
>
> ^^this^^
>
>> I'm not going to go into too much detail about *how* I synchronize my
>> password database
>
> you already said how: you manually sync it.

There's more to it than that.

> automatically syncing means a new or changed entry is available on
> other devices within seconds, no additional effort required.

I know what "automatically syncing" means. You haven't said anything
about how to do that. (I use Ubuntu, Windows, and Android.)

For my situation, I've decided (so far) that automation would be more
effort than it's worth *for me*. I'm willing to change my mind if
presented with new information. If you have none to offer, that's fine.

Unbreakable Disease

Jul 12, 2021, 5:45:16 PM7/12/21
I use KeePassXC which is a modernized version of KeepassX. Can be also
cloudified if you put the database on Dropbox (which I don't recommend)
or somewhere else.

Unbreakable Disease

Jul 12, 2021, 5:46:30 PM7/12/21
On 12.07.2021 15:36, Lamey wrote:
> If it's out there than people can access it if they want.
> Hackers are looking out for easy targets, almost nobody is going to
chase Scott Alfter. Too much risk and unknown benefits.

Unbreakable Disease

Jul 12, 2021, 5:51:06 PM7/12/21
On 12.07.2021 15:28, Jolly Roger wrote:
> On 2021-07-12, Unbreakable Disease <unbre...@secmail.pro> wrote:
>> My 50-year old brain isn't capable of memorizing that many passwords
>> anymore, so I use KeePassXC. I keep basically everything here
>> including my financial passwords and credit card data, with the
>> exception of passwords that I would have to remember anyway (full-disk
>> encryption, login, primary e-mail passwords, etc.)
>>
>> Overall, it's much easier to remember and much harder to forget 10
>> complicated passwords that you use everyday than 100+ simple passwords
>> you use every month or even less.
>>
>> I can't speak about Windows version of KeePass, because with the
>> exception of playing games not available on Macintosh, I haven't used
>> one since Windows 95 days.
>
> I don't see anything wrong with using Apple's built-in Keychain password
> manager. The only drawback it has is that it's Apple-only, and that has
> never been a reason not to use it for me. Most of my family uses it and
> is happy with it.
>
> The iCloud Keychain service is optional and seamlessly synchronizes your
> password database between all of your Apple devices. It is also highly
> encrypted using end-to-end encryption so that it cannot be accessed by
> anyone but you.
>
> Others here will recommend cross-platform solutions, but if you have no
> need for synchronizing your password database to other platforms,
> Apple's built-in Keychain is quite a secure and capable solution, and
> it's integrated with all of Apple's operating systems by default.

I need to use my database on both Mac OS and Linux, so I use KeePassXC.
And what if you are left with the Keychain file and Apple goes south?
How you will migrate to KeePassXC? Your file is going to be nothing more
than useless junk, so at least call Apple or e-mail Tim Cook directly at
tim...@apple.com to allow to export Keychain data to other password
managers. I doubt that Apple will listen to us, but trying is better
than simply giving up.

nospam

Jul 12, 2021, 6:11:26 PM7/12/21
In article <87r1g34...@nosuchdomain.example.com>, Keith Thompson
<Keith.S.T...@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> Of course. That happens now and then. The solution is to go back and
> >> sync it.
> >
> > no, the solution is to have it automatically sync.
>
> The solution *I use* is to go back and sync it. It works.

except when it doesn't, which you admit happens 'now and then'.

> > ^^this^^
> >
> >> I'm not going to go into too much detail about *how* I synchronize my
> >> password database
> >
> > you already said how: you manually sync it.
>
> There's more to it than that.

those details are irrelevant. the fact is that it's manual which means
it's a lot of extra work with the opportunity to screw it up.

i suspect whatever system you're using does not properly handle merges.

> > automatically syncing means a new or changed entry is available on
> > other devices within seconds, no additional effort required.
>
> I know what "automatically syncing" means.

then why not use it?

> You haven't said anything
> about how to do that. (I use Ubuntu, Windows, and Android.)

what's to know? choose a password manager that offers automatic sync.
done.

> For my situation, I've decided (so far) that automation would be more
> effort than it's worth *for me*. I'm willing to change my mind if
> presented with new information. If you have none to offer, that's fine.

what effort? download a new password manager app that offers syncing,
then export passwords from your existing password manager and import
them to the new one. it should take a minute or two.

Keith Thompson

Jul 12, 2021, 6:52:26 PM7/12/21
It does not, and I did run into a problem with that not too long ago.
It took some manual work to resolve it.

>> > automatically syncing means a new or changed entry is available on
>> > other devices within seconds, no additional effort required.
>>
>> I know what "automatically syncing" means.
>
> then why not use it?
>
>> You haven't said anything
>> about how to do that. (I use Ubuntu, Windows, and Android.)
>
> what's to know? choose a password manager that offers automatic sync.
> done.

I've spent *some* time looking into alternatives, but perhaps not
enough. The password manager I use uses a local file. Others I've
looked at store data "in the cloud", i.e., on someone else's computer.
I've decided *for myself* that I don't want to store my passwords in the
cloud, and that I'm willing to pay the price of more difficult local
updates.

>> For my situation, I've decided (so far) that automation would be more
>> effort than it's worth *for me*. I'm willing to change my mind if
>> presented with new information. If you have none to offer, that's fine.
>
> what effort? download a new password manager app that offers syncing,
> then export passwords from your existing password manager and import
> them to the new one. it should take a minute or two.

And install it on all my devices, and learn how to use it -- plus
convincing myself that it's sufficiently secure. Much more than
"a minute or two".

Is there a password manager that supports automatic sync among Linux,
Android, and Windows *without* storing any of my information in the
cloud (i.e., on someone else's computer)? (It's possible that I hadn't
made it clear enough that I don't want to use cloud storage.)

nospam

Jul 12, 2021, 7:18:09 PM7/12/21
In article <87mtqr4...@nosuchdomain.example.com>, Keith Thompson
some store it in the cloud, some store it on a local server. some do
either.

another option is set up a personal cloud hosted on your own hardware,
over which you have full control, which has many other benefits than
just password syncing.

in every case, it's encrypted, so even if someone did gain access to
the database, they won't get the actual passwords, at least not without
a shitload of effort trying to crack it (assuming you used a good
master passphrase).

keep in mind that any of your hardware is lost or stolen, someone will
have easy access to that database, no hacking of cloud servers
required.

nothing is 100% safe.

> >> For my situation, I've decided (so far) that automation would be more
> >> effort than it's worth *for me*. I'm willing to change my mind if
> >> presented with new information. If you have none to offer, that's fine.
> >
> > what effort? download a new password manager app that offers syncing,
> > then export passwords from your existing password manager and import
> > them to the new one. it should take a minute or two.
>
> And install it on all my devices, and learn how to use it -- plus
> convincing myself that it's sufficiently secure. Much more than
> "a minute or two".

true, but that's the easy part. download a bunch, try them out, put in
some random passwords and see which ones fit your workflow.

> Is there a password manager that supports automatic sync among Linux,
> Android, and Windows *without* storing any of my information in the
> cloud (i.e., on someone else's computer)? (It's possible that I hadn't
> made it clear enough that I don't want to use cloud storage.)

there are several, each with different mixes of features, some with
better integration than others, and only you can decide which one fits
your needs.

Keith Thompson

Jul 12, 2021, 7:57:57 PM7/12/21
nospam <nos...@nospam.invalid> writes:
> In article <87mtqr4...@nosuchdomain.example.com>, Keith Thompson
> <Keith.S.T...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]
>> Is there a password manager that supports automatic sync among Linux,
>> Android, and Windows *without* storing any of my information in the
>> cloud (i.e., on someone else's computer)? (It's possible that I hadn't
>> made it clear enough that I don't want to use cloud storage.)
>
> there are several, each with different mixes of features, some with
> better integration than others, and only you can decide which one fits
> your needs.

Are you unwilling to give examples? Is there one that you use (or do
you use a cloud solution)?

I tried KeePass a while ago, and it doesn't do what I want. (One
feature of the Android version of PasswordSave that I like is that it
implements a virtual keyboard, so passwords don't have to go through the
system clipboard.) Someone here mentioned KeePassXC, which I might try,
but I don't see an Android version.

I just found a reference to something called Syncthing, which I'll also
look into; it's a continuous file synchronization program, not
specifically related to passwords.

nospam

Jul 12, 2021, 8:25:46 PM7/12/21
In article <87im1f3...@nosuchdomain.example.com>, Keith Thompson
<Keith.S.T...@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> Is there a password manager that supports automatic sync among Linux,
> >> Android, and Windows *without* storing any of my information in the
> >> cloud (i.e., on someone else's computer)? (It's possible that I hadn't
> >> made it clear enough that I don't want to use cloud storage.)
> >
> > there are several, each with different mixes of features, some with
> > better integration than others, and only you can decide which one fits
> > your needs.
>
> Are you unwilling to give examples? Is there one that you use (or do
> you use a cloud solution)?

i use 1password and keep everything on my devices, however, it does
sync via the cloud. there is (was) a way to sync locally but that had
some limitations and i'm not sure if that's even still an option.

they also offer a cloud version (their servers) but that's not required.

it does look like they now have linux support but i don't know how good
that is. that's relatively recent.

> I tried KeePass a while ago, and it doesn't do what I want. (One
> feature of the Android version of PasswordSave that I like is that it
> implements a virtual keyboard, so passwords don't have to go through the
> system clipboard.) Someone here mentioned KeePassXC, which I might try,
> but I don't see an Android version.

1password has a background process which directly communicates with
browser extension, skipping the clipboard entirely.

some use the system clipboard which is then auto-erased moments later.

> I just found a reference to something called Syncthing, which I'll also
> look into; it's a continuous file synchronization program, not
> specifically related to passwords.

syncthing is good. also check out nextcloud, which can be installed on
a variety of hardware as well as in a docker container or even a
raspberry pi (although that's not exactly fast).

Rich

Jul 12, 2021, 9:08:29 PM7/12/21
In comp.misc Keith Thompson <Keith.S.T...@gmail.com> wrote:
> nospam <nos...@nospam.invalid> writes:
>> In article <87mtqr4...@nosuchdomain.example.com>, Keith Thompson
>> <Keith.S.T...@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
>>> Is there a password manager that supports automatic sync among Linux,
>>> Android, and Windows *without* storing any of my information in the
>>> cloud (i.e., on someone else's computer)? (It's possible that I hadn't
>>> made it clear enough that I don't want to use cloud storage.)
>>
>> there are several, each with different mixes of features, some with
>> better integration than others, and only you can decide which one fits
>> your needs.
>
> Are you unwilling to give examples? Is there one that you use (or do
> you use a cloud solution)?
>
> I tried KeePass a while ago, and it doesn't do what I want. (One
> feature of the Android version of PasswordSave that I like is that it
> implements a virtual keyboard, so passwords don't have to go through the
> system clipboard.) Someone here mentioned KeePassXC, which I might try,
> but I don't see an Android version.
>
> I just found a reference to something called Syncthing, which I'll also
> look into; it's a continuous file synchronization program, not
> specifically related to passwords.

You mentioned password-gorilla in an earlier message. It contains a
"merge" feature that somewhat reduces the burden in manually
maintaining sync across devices.

Keith Thompson

Jul 13, 2021, 12:42:09 AM7/13/21
When I tried KeePass on Android, I didn't find a way to copy a password
or other text from KeePass to another arbitrary application. Possibly I
didn't spend enough time exploring it. Something that *only* uses a
browser extension would not be useful to me.

> some use the system clipboard which is then auto-erased moments later.
>
>> I just found a reference to something called Syncthing, which I'll also
>> look into; it's a continuous file synchronization program, not
>> specifically related to passwords.
>
> syncthing is good. also check out nextcloud, which can be installed on
> a variety of hardware as well as in a docker container or even a
> raspberry pi (although that's not exactly fast).

Yes, I have a NextCloud instance, but I'm not sure I want to store (even
encrypted) passwords on it.

Scott Alfter

Jul 13, 2021, 10:43:41 AM7/13/21
In article <87im1f3...@nosuchdomain.example.com>,
Keith Thompson <Keith.S.T...@gmail.com> wrote:
>I tried KeePass a while ago, and it doesn't do what I want. (One
>feature of the Android version of PasswordSave that I like is that it
>implements a virtual keyboard, so passwords don't have to go through the
>system clipboard.)

Keepass2Android does that. It interoperates just fine with KeePass, which I
run on Windows and Linux (it's a .NET binary, so it runs fine on both).

Lewis

Jul 13, 2021, 11:48:16 AM7/13/21
In message <87zgur4...@nosuchdomain.example.com> Keith Thompson <Keith.S.T...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Lewis <g.k...@kreme.dont-email.me> writes:
>> In message <874kcz5...@nosuchdomain.example.com> Keith Thompson <Keith.S.T...@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
>>> I use PasswordSafe https://pwsafe.org/ .
>>
>>> It's a Windows application with clones available for Android, iOS, and Mac.
>>
>>> There's a Linux version, available as "passwordsafe" in the Ubuntu repos
>>> (and presumably others), but I haven't gotten it to work.
>>
>>> password-gorilla is a Linux application that uses the same file format
>>> and should be available in the package repos for most distributions.
>>
>>> Keeping the database synchronized across devices is left as an exercise.
>>
>> And that means you end up with not having the password you need unless
>> you limit your use of the Internet to a single machine.

> Not if I replicate the encrypted database across the machines I use.

Yes, because you are perfect and will ALWAYS sync on EVERY change.

Not going to happen. You will forget and you will will be caught out
without some recent change or update because you are NOT perfect. Sorry,
but those are just facts.

> I understand that that could open a potential security hole if
> I'm not sufficiently careful. But if I *am* sufficiently careful,
> my database doesn't exist on anyone else's server.

Whopdie doo. That doesn’t make it more secure, you know, just more
obscure, more fragile, more prone to failure, and more likely that you
do not have the information you need when you need it.

--
'Now what?' it said. IT'S UP TO YOU. IT'S ALWAYS UP TO YOU.
--Maskerade

Lewis

Jul 13, 2021, 11:59:03 AM7/13/21
In message <87im1f3...@nosuchdomain.example.com> Keith Thompson <Keith.S.T...@gmail.com> wrote:
> nospam <nos...@nospam.invalid> writes:
>> In article <87mtqr4...@nosuchdomain.example.com>, Keith Thompson
>> <Keith.S.T...@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
>>> Is there a password manager that supports automatic sync among Linux,
>>> Android, and Windows *without* storing any of my information in the
>>> cloud (i.e., on someone else's computer)? (It's possible that I hadn't
>>> made it clear enough that I don't want to use cloud storage.)
>>
>> there are several, each with different mixes of features, some with
>> better integration than others, and only you can decide which one fits
>> your needs.

> Are you unwilling to give examples? Is there one that you use (or do
> you use a cloud solution)?

Examples have been given. You see to think that using a system that you
yourself admit is inferior and prone to failure is somehow a virtue, so
you are unlikely to care about other solutions and that holds up since
you have ignored the other solutions offered.

> I tried KeePass a while ago, and it doesn't do what I want.

Has anyone mentioned KeePass? I know I haven;ts since I have never used
it, and I don't recall anyone else mentioning it in this thread. I do
not recall that Keepass does syncing, you hae to sync the database
yourself.

> but I don't see an Android version.

If you are trusting Android to store your password files you should have
no issue with FAR more secure and tested cloud storage.

> I just found a reference to something called Syncthing, which I'll also
> look into; it's a continuous file synchronization program, not
> specifically related to passwords.

If it cannot manage merges, it is useless for password management.

--
Hello Diane, I'm Bucky Goldstein

Lewis

Jul 13, 2021, 3:07:56 PM7/13/21
> And I don't need to use my password database on Linux, so I use
> Keychain. With Keychain. I have all of my passwords with me on my iPhone
> at all times anyway. WHen I need a password on my Linux, Windows, etc
> systems, I can just pick up my phone and there it is. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

> We can go back and forth like this all day if it suits you, but I don't
> really see the point.

>> And what if you are left with the Keychain file and Apple goes south?

> Apple isn't going South anytime soon. That's a pipe dream.

And the keychain is stored on your computers.

>> How you will migrate to KeePassXC?

> In your hypothetical scenario, I'd have moved my passwords out of
> Keychain and into something better long before Apple goes South.

>> Your file is going to be nothing more than useless junk

> I mean, as long as we are daydreaming, the same could be said if
> KeePassXC mysteriously went South overnight.

the keychain file is not going to be useless junk, because you can
unlock it.

> Back here in the real world, though, things don't just vanish overnight,
> and we have plenty of notice before such things happen, giving us ample
> time to move to something better. Such is the way with natural
> obsolescence - it tends to happen rather slowly.

Apple has hundreds of millions of dollars *in cash*. they are not going
anywhere in the next 100 years.

>> so at least call Apple or e-mail Tim Cook directly at
>> tim...@apple.com to allow to export Keychain data to other password

You are an idiot and/or troll.

% security dump-keychain -d login.keychain > keychain.txt

as well as File => Export in Keychan Access.

--
Small business owner likes showers.
(Psycho)

Keith Thompson

Jul 13, 2021, 4:55:25 PM7/13/21
Lewis <g.k...@kreme.dont-email.me> writes:
> In message <87im1f3...@nosuchdomain.example.com> Keith Thompson <Keith.S.T...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> nospam <nos...@nospam.invalid> writes:
>>> In article <87mtqr4...@nosuchdomain.example.com>, Keith Thompson
>>> <Keith.S.T...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> [...]
>>>
>>> there are several, each with different mixes of features, some with
>>> better integration than others, and only you can decide which one fits
>>> your needs.
>
>> Are you unwilling to give examples? Is there one that you use (or do
>> you use a cloud solution)?
>
> Examples have been given. You see to think that using a system that you
> yourself admit is inferior and prone to failure is somehow a virtue, so
> you are unlikely to care about other solutions and that holds up since
> you have ignored the other solutions offered.

I don't believe anything I've written here could reasonably be read to
imply that I think the system I use is "somehow a virtue". It works for
me. I'm more than willing to consider better ideas.

I've had occasional problems with the setup I use. Those problems have
not included a loss of information and are not likely to.

>> I tried KeePass a while ago, and it doesn't do what I want.
>
> Has anyone mentioned KeePass? I know I haven;ts since I have never used
> it, and I don't recall anyone else mentioning it in this thread. I do
> not recall that Keepass does syncing, you hae to sync the database
> yourself.

Yes, I mentioned KeePass. Am I not allowed to mention something that
wasn't mentioned before?

>> but I don't see an Android version.
>
> If you are trusting Android to store your password files you should have
> no issue with FAR more secure and tested cloud storage.

Opinion noted.

"Cloud storage" is not a single thing that is "secure and tested". It's
likely that some of the cloud storage solutions are sufficiently secure,
but I haven't been using cloud storage and am hesitant to start, since,
as I've said several times, my current system works for me.

>> I just found a reference to something called Syncthing, which I'll also
>> look into; it's a continuous file synchronization program, not
>> specifically related to passwords.
>
> If it cannot manage merges, it is useless for password management.

I have not found that to be the case.

Perhaps you could offer advice rather than just shooting down ideas you
don't like.

Oregonian Haruspex

Jul 13, 2021, 9:29:34 PM7/13/21
I use an old electronic organizer to store my passwords, and I keep a
printed hard copy locked in my safe. I don’t trust anything more
technological than that combination.

%

Jul 13, 2021, 9:43:50 PM7/13/21
i don't use anything i have no passwords

Unbreakable Disease

Jul 14, 2021, 3:00:25 AM7/14/21
Because you instead use your DNA to log in to your accounts.

Unbreakable Disease

Jul 14, 2021, 3:04:51 AM7/14/21
Well, the biggest security hole is most of the time an user itself.
You'd be better off syncing your password manager file through the cloud.

Unbreakable Disease

Jul 14, 2021, 3:10:59 AM7/14/21
You can use Syncthing if you are paranoid. That would probably be the
best compromise between usability and security.

If you are even more paranoid, you can keep manually syncing, but keep
in mind that once you get malware or somebody takes a physical control
over your device, you are pwned anyway no matter how much security
measures you take.

Otto J. Makela

Jul 16, 2021, 9:34:14 AM7/16/21
Wade Garrett <wa...@cooler.net> wrote:

> I'd like to use a password manager but I'm not comfortable with that
> data being on some server somewhere- allegedly encrypted or not.
>
> If there's one that keeps the data just on the local machine, I'd be
> interested.

I believe the classic "pass" (based on pgp) is available on various Unix
implementations, including MacOS.

https://www.passwordstore.org/
--
/* * * Otto J. Makela <o...@iki.fi> * * * * * * * * * */
/* Phone: +358 40 765 5772, ICBM: N 60 10' E 24 55' */

Bob Eager

Jul 16, 2021, 11:06:21 AM7/16/21
On Fri, 16 Jul 2021 16:34:09 +0300, Otto J. Makela wrote:

> Wade Garrett <wa...@cooler.net> wrote:
>
>> I'd like to use a password manager but I'm not comfortable with that
>> data being on some server somewhere- allegedly encrypted or not.
>>
>> If there's one that keeps the data just on the local machine, I'd be
>> interested.
>
> I believe the classic "pass" (based on pgp) is available on various Unix
> implementations, including MacOS.
>
> https://www.passwordstore.org/

Indeed. I use it all the time. And it would be easy to do automatic
replication to anything that supported a shell.

--
Using UNIX since v6 (1975)...

Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Wade Garrett

Jul 16, 2021, 11:19:25 AM7/16/21
On 7/16/21 9:34 AM, Otto J. Makela wrote:
> Wade Garrett <wa...@cooler.net> wrote:
>
>> I'd like to use a password manager but I'm not comfortable with that
>> data being on some server somewhere- allegedly encrypted or not.
>>
>> If there's one that keeps the data just on the local machine, I'd be
>> interested.
>
> I believe the classic "pass" (based on pgp) is available on various Unix
> implementations, including MacOS.
>
> https://www.passwordstore.org/

Thanks- but use/setup looks a bit above my pay grade :-)

Lewis

Jul 16, 2021, 4:10:41 PM7/16/21
In message <ildlj9...@mid.individual.net> Bob Eager <news...@eager.cx> wrote:
> On Fri, 16 Jul 2021 16:34:09 +0300, Otto J. Makela wrote:

>> Wade Garrett <wa...@cooler.net> wrote:
>>
>>> I'd like to use a password manager but I'm not comfortable with that
>>> data being on some server somewhere- allegedly encrypted or not.
>>>
>>> If there's one that keeps the data just on the local machine, I'd be
>>> interested.
>>
>> I believe the classic "pass" (based on pgp) is available on various Unix
>> implementations, including MacOS.
>>
>> https://www.passwordstore.org/

> Indeed. I use it all the time. And it would be easy to do automatic
> replication to anything that supported a shell.

I find this works well if I don't happen to have 1Password available
(like on a remote machine, for example)

uuidgen| sha256sum| cut -c -24

(or any number from 16 on up to 64, though i do not need a 64 hex digit
password, ever.)

But I add those passwords to my password manager immediately, of course.

--
Hey kids, shake it loose together the spotlight's hitting something
That's been known to change the weather we'll kill the fatted

Bob Eager

Jul 16, 2021, 5:51:57 PM7/16/21
On Fri, 16 Jul 2021 20:10:38 +0000, Lewis wrote:

> In message <ildlj9...@mid.individual.net> Bob Eager
> <news...@eager.cx> wrote:

>>> I believe the classic "pass" (based on pgp) is available on various
>>> Unix implementations, including MacOS.
>>>
>>> https://www.passwordstore.org/
>
>> Indeed. I use it all the time. And it would be easy to do automatic
>> replication to anything that supported a shell.
>
> I find this works well if I don't happen to have 1Password available
> (like on a remote machine, for example)
>
> uuidgen| sha256sum| cut -c -24
>
> (or any number from 16 on up to 64, though i do not need a 64 hex digit
> password, ever.)
>
> But I add those passwords to my password manager immediately, of course.

Mine, in that situation, is:

dd if=/dev/random count=1 bs=16 2>/dev/null | b64encode - | \
sed -e 's/=*$//' -e '/^begin/d' -e '/^$/d'

Lewis

Jul 16, 2021, 6:05:48 PM7/16/21
There's no "b64encode" on my macOS.

--
'They say that whoever pays the piper calls the tune.' 'But,
gentlemen,' said Mr Saveloy, 'whoever holds a knife to the

Bob Eager

Jul 16, 2021, 6:19:17 PM7/16/21
Sorry - it's a FreeBSD command, equivalent to uuencode -m (which you may
or may not have). I like the general idea of using /dev/random, though.

Alan Browne

Jul 19, 2021, 10:40:13 AM7/19/21
On 2021-07-12 05:53, Unbreakable Disease wrote:
> My 50-year old brain isn't capable of memorizing that many passwords
> anymore, so I use KeePassXC. I keep basically everything here including
> my financial passwords and credit card data, with the exception of
> passwords that I would have to remember anyway (full-disk encryption,
> login, primary e-mail passwords, etc.)
>
> Overall, it's much easier to remember and much harder to forget 10
> complicated passwords that you use everyday than 100+ simple passwords
> you use every month or even less.
>
> I can't speak about Windows version of KeePass, because with the
> exception of playing games not available on Macintosh, I haven't used
> one since Windows 95 days.

I use 1Password. Be careful of the option you select. They are leaning
towards "rent" model which I despise.

You can keep the encrypted master file on iCloud or Dropbox so it's
available to all of your devices. Avoid the 'rent' model if possible.

--
"...there are many humorous things in this world; among them the white
man's notion that he is less savage than the other savages."

Alan Browne

Jul 19, 2021, 10:42:47 AM7/19/21
On 2021-07-12 07:37, Wade Garrett wrote:
> On 7/12/21 5:53 AM, Unbreakable Disease wrote:
>> My 50-year old brain isn't capable of memorizing that many passwords
>> anymore, so I use KeePassXC. I keep basically everything here
>> including my financial passwords and credit card data, with the
>> exception of passwords that I would have to remember anyway (full-disk
>> encryption, login, primary e-mail passwords, etc.)
>>
>> Overall, it's much easier to remember and much harder to forget 10
>> complicated passwords that you use everyday than 100+ simple passwords
>> you use every month or even less.
>>
>> I can't speak about Windows version of KeePass, because with the
>> exception of playing games not available on Macintosh, I haven't used
>> one since Windows 95 days.
>
> I'd like to use a password manager but I'm not comfortable with that
> data being on some server somewhere- allegedly encrypted or not.

256 bit AES encryption not good enough for you?

> If there's one that keeps the data just on the local machine, I'd be
> interested.

1Password has that option as well as using a local server.

> I keep a spreadsheet with my PWs on my FileVault-encrypted iMac hard
> drive and copy/paste to logins that need to stay secure- financial,
> vendors, healthcare, etc.

Not very secure. Of course it's your house and that has some security.

But far better to use a manager - even if only on your machine.

> I always log out before leaving the house.

My computer does that for me ... well, might be a few minutes after I
leave...

Alan Browne

Jul 19, 2021, 10:43:44 AM7/19/21
On 2021-07-12 11:36, Lamey wrote:
> On Mon, 12 Jul 2021 15:17:43 GMT, Scott Alfter
> <sc...@alfter.diespammersdie.us> wrote:

>>> I'd like to use a password manager but I'm not comfortable with that
>>> data being on some server somewhere- allegedly encrypted or not.
>>>
>>> If there's one that keeps the data just on the local machine, I'd be
>>> interested.
>>
>> KeePass stores its file wherever you tell it. It could be local storage,
>> storage on a server you control (as on a VPS or a dedicated server), or
>> whatever cloud storage is supported on the OS you're using. I use a WebDAV
>> share on a VPS. It's accessible to my phone and my computers, but not to
>> others. (I suppose Linode could grab the file, but without the password to
>> unlock it, it's useless to anybody else.)
>>
> If it's out there than people can access it if they want.

Access ≠ decryption.

Keith Thompson

Jul 19, 2021, 2:08:18 PM7/19/21
Alan Browne <bitb...@blackhole.com> writes:
> On 2021-07-12 07:37, Wade Garrett wrote:
[...]
>> I'd like to use a password manager but I'm not comfortable with that
>> data being on some server somewhere- allegedly encrypted or not.
>
> 256 bit AES encryption not good enough for you?

The weak link is not the encryption algorithm, but the key used to
decrypt the data.

[...]

nospam

Jul 19, 2021, 2:12:50 PM7/19/21
In article <87r1fu1...@nosuchdomain.example.com>, Keith Thompson
<Keith.S.T...@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> I'd like to use a password manager but I'm not comfortable with that
> >> data being on some server somewhere- allegedly encrypted or not.
> >
> > 256 bit AES encryption not good enough for you?
>
> The weak link is not the encryption algorithm, but the key used to
> decrypt the data.

that's up to you to choose something complex.

hint: don't use 'password123'

Lewis

Jul 19, 2021, 4:07:50 PM7/19/21
In message <87r1fu1...@nosuchdomain.example.com> Keith Thompson <Keith.S.T...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Alan Browne <bitb...@blackhole.com> writes:
>> On 2021-07-12 07:37, Wade Garrett wrote:
> [...]
>>> I'd like to use a password manager but I'm not comfortable with that
>>> data being on some server somewhere- allegedly encrypted or not.
>>
>> 256 bit AES encryption not good enough for you?

> The weak link is not the encryption algorithm, but the key used to
> decrypt the data.

Which the user chooses.

Have you done any actual research into this or have you just read
know-nothing clickbait shit?

--
And the three men I admire most, the father son and the holly ghost
they caught the last train for the coast...

Keith Thompson

Jul 19, 2021, 5:15:39 PM7/19/21
Lewis <g.k...@kreme.dont-email.me> writes:
> In message <87r1fu1...@nosuchdomain.example.com> Keith Thompson <Keith.S.T...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Alan Browne <bitb...@blackhole.com> writes:
>>> On 2021-07-12 07:37, Wade Garrett wrote:
>> [...]
>>>
>>> 256 bit AES encryption not good enough for you?
>
>> The weak link is not the encryption algorithm, but the key used to
>> decrypt the data.
>
> Which the user chooses.

Yes, of course.

> Have you done any actual research into this or have you just read
> know-nothing clickbait shit?

Be less rude. If I'm wrong, say so and tell us what's right.

Richard Kettlewell

Jul 20, 2021, 4:15:48 AM7/20/21
Keith Thompson <Keith.S.T...@gmail.com> writes:
> Alan Browne <bitb...@blackhole.com> writes:
>> On 2021-07-12 07:37, Wade Garrett wrote:
> [...]
>>> I'd like to use a password manager but I'm not comfortable with that
>>> data being on some server somewhere- allegedly encrypted or not.
>>
>> 256 bit AES encryption not good enough for you?
>
> The weak link is not the encryption algorithm, but the key used to
> decrypt the data.

There’s lots of possible weak links.

- The key may be stored insecurely.
- If the key is derived from a password then the user may choose a weak
password.
- It’s easy to make a bad choice of KDF.
- The choice of cipher mode matters.
- For some cipher modes, how you choose the parameters matters.
- Some ciphers (including AES) are prone to side channels.

How much each of these matters is situational, but “256 bit AES
encryption” is not a complete description and may indeed not be good
enough, depending on the missing details.

--
https://www.greenend.org.uk/rjk/

Lewis

Jul 20, 2021, 4:13:13 PM7/20/21
In message <8735s99...@LkoBDZeT.terraraq.uk> Richard Kettlewell <inv...@invalid.invalid> wrote:
> Keith Thompson <Keith.S.T...@gmail.com> writes:
>> Alan Browne <bitb...@blackhole.com> writes:
>>> On 2021-07-12 07:37, Wade Garrett wrote:
>> [...]
>>>
>>> 256 bit AES encryption not good enough for you?
>>
>> The weak link is not the encryption algorithm, but the key used to
>> decrypt the data.

> There’s lots of possible weak links.

> - The key may be stored insecurely.

The key is not stored at all. The key is the password that that the user
selects.

> - If the key is derived from a password then the user may choose a weak
> password.

Nothing anyone can do about that.

> - It’s easy to make a bad choice of KDF.
> - The choice of cipher mode matters.

Which is why these tools are audited by third parties and you should
only use tools that have been audited.

> - For some cipher modes, how you choose the parameters matters.

Ibid.

> - Some ciphers (including AES) are prone to side channels.

Ibid.

> How much each of these matters is situational, but “256 bit AES
> encryption” is not a complete description and may indeed not be good
> enough, depending on the missing details.

Ibid.

--
you cannot code around infinite implementations of OCD -John C Welch

Alan Browne

Jul 20, 2021, 4:39:42 PM7/20/21
On 2021-07-19 14:08, Keith Thompson wrote:
> Alan Browne <bitb...@blackhole.com> writes:
>> On 2021-07-12 07:37, Wade Garrett wrote:
> [...]
>>> I'd like to use a password manager but I'm not comfortable with that
>>> data being on some server somewhere- allegedly encrypted or not.
>>
>> 256 bit AES encryption not good enough for you?
>
> The weak link is not the encryption algorithm, but the key used to
> decrypt the data.

First off there is a difference between a "key" and a "password".

If the password is "a", the key will still be extremely strong at 256
bits and would look completely different to the key for password "b".
Of course that is not a recommendation.

As to passwords, it's trivial to make strong and easy to remember
passwords with a few misspelled words, mixed case, some symbols and digits.

Keith Thompson

Jul 20, 2021, 6:52:49 PM7/20/21
Alan Browne <bitb...@blackhole.com> writes:
> On 2021-07-19 14:08, Keith Thompson wrote:
>> Alan Browne <bitb...@blackhole.com> writes:
>>> On 2021-07-12 07:37, Wade Garrett wrote:
>> [...]
>>>
>>> 256 bit AES encryption not good enough for you?
>> The weak link is not the encryption algorithm, but the key used to
>> decrypt the data.
>
> First off there is a difference between a "key" and a "password".

Sure (but sometimes they can be the same, right?).

> If the password is "a", the key will still be extremely strong at 256
> bits and would look completely different to the key for password "b".
> Of course that is not a recommendation.

Are you talking about a key being algorithmically derived from the
password? If the string "a" is all the information you need to unlock
an encrypted file, then an attacker is going to be able to unlock it,
whether it first has to be translated to a 256-bit key or not. (Or I'm
missing something.)

> As to passwords, it's trivial to make strong and easy to remember
> passwords with a few misspelled words, mixed case, some symbols and
> digits.

Sure. It's also easy for a password to leak in any of a number of ways.

Dreamer In Colore

Jul 21, 2021, 1:29:08 PM7/21/21
On Mon, 12 Jul 2021 09:53:00 +0000, Unbreakable Disease
<unbre...@secmail.pro> wrote:

>My 50-year old brain isn't capable of memorizing that many passwords
>anymore, so I use KeePassXC. I keep basically everything here including
>my financial passwords and credit card data, with the exception of
>passwords that I would have to remember anyway (full-disk encryption,
>login, primary e-mail passwords, etc.)
>
>Overall, it's much easier to remember and much harder to forget 10
>complicated passwords that you use everyday than 100+ simple passwords
>you use every month or even less.
>
>I can't speak about Windows version of KeePass, because with the
>exception of playing games not available on Macintosh, I haven't used
>one since Windows 95 days.

For what it's worth, I like LastPass. I'm not crazy about the fact
that I can't use it on multiple devices without having to pay for it,
but I can't begrudge the software developers over there the right to
earn a living.

The best strengths in current password technology are in passphrases:

https://useapassphrase.com

There's some great stats in there, such as the amount of time it takes
to crack common spatial word passwords such as "qwerty" or "aaaaaa"...
10 milliseconds.

Or how long it takes to crack a password that's a date like
"03261981"... 2.213 seconds.

However, if you use a sequence of four randomly chosen words like
"mergers decade labeled manager", it'll take 6 million centuries to
crack.

So.

I've converted all my passwords to sequences of four to six words; and
I have an email account at a provider that I've never used to send
email to anyone, or to use as the id for any website. There, I have a
draft of an email saved that holds the information.

I now only need to remember one password, and I can get to everything.
As for the remote chance that the email provider will cease to exist,
I made backup accounts with other major providers, because paranoia.

I don't use email apps to access my password storage account; and I
use Tor to get to it for the sake of anonymity. I'd be fairly
impressed if someone got through that level of security, and it's
probably overkill, but why take the risk?

While I'm at it... does everyone know about

https://haveibeenpwned.com

You can put your email address in there, and see if it's been involved
in any large-scale thefts. It's got records going back years, and I
was fairly shocked to see that my wife's account had been hacked years
ago.

--
Cheers,
Dreamer

"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no
more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is
happier than a sober one. The happiness of credulity is a
cheap and dangerous quality of happiness, and by no means
a necessity of life."

George Bernard Shaw
Androcles and the Lion

Keith Thompson

Jul 21, 2021, 3:31:21 PM7/21/21
I use a couple of programs I wrote to generate random passwords and
passphrases:

https://github.com/Keith-S-Thompson/random-passwords

It's two Perl scripts. gen-password generates random passwords with
specified criteria, and gen-passphrase generates xkcd-style random word
sequences using the system dictionary or a specified one.

Bob Eager

Jul 21, 2021, 5:00:35 PM7/21/21
On Wed, 21 Jul 2021 12:31:11 -0700, Keith Thompson wrote:

> I use a couple of programs I wrote to generate random passwords and
> passphrases:
>
> https://github.com/Keith-S-Thompson/random-passwords
>
> It's two Perl scripts. gen-password generates random passwords with
> specified criteria, and gen-passphrase generates xkcd-style random word
> sequences using the system dictionary or a specified one.

I use dicewords and a set of casino dice.

Ben Bacarisse

Jul 21, 2021, 8:23:58 PM7/21/21
Bob Eager <news...@eager.cx> writes:

> On Wed, 21 Jul 2021 12:31:11 -0700, Keith Thompson wrote:
>
>> I use a couple of programs I wrote to generate random passwords and
>> passphrases:
>>
>> https://github.com/Keith-S-Thompson/random-passwords
>>
>> It's two Perl scripts. gen-password generates random passwords with
>> specified criteria, and gen-passphrase generates xkcd-style random word
>> sequences using the system dictionary or a specified one.
>
> I use dicewords and a set of casino dice.

What do you do when the password is restricted as is so often the case?

--
Ben.

Bob Eager

Jul 22, 2021, 4:46:23 AM7/22/21
It provides a basis to which I add stuff.

Jitsi does similar when choosing a random 'room' name, although I haven't
looked at the code.

Unbreakable Disease

Jul 22, 2021, 4:52:30 AM7/22/21
On 19.07.2021 14:40, Alan Browne wrote:
> On 2021-07-12 05:53, Unbreakable Disease wrote:
>> My 50-year old brain isn't capable of memorizing that many passwords
>> anymore, so I use KeePassXC. I keep basically everything here
>> including my financial passwords and credit card data, with the
>> exception of passwords that I would have to remember anyway (full-disk
>> encryption, login, primary e-mail passwords, etc.)
>>
>> Overall, it's much easier to remember and much harder to forget 10
>> complicated passwords that you use everyday than 100+ simple passwords
>> you use every month or even less.
>>
>> I can't speak about Windows version of KeePass, because with the
>> exception of playing games not available on Macintosh, I haven't used
>> one since Windows 95 days.
>
> I use 1Password.  Be careful of the option you select.  They are leaning
> towards "rent" model which I despise.
>
> You can keep the encrypted master file on iCloud or Dropbox so it's
> available to all of your devices.  Avoid the 'rent' model if possible.

You can use any FOSS password manager. For me, anything that is not FOSS
is automatically suspicious (including 1Password). I don't trust
proprietary software and try to reduce its usage to minimum.

Alan Browne

Jul 22, 2021, 9:52:55 AM7/22/21
1Password has proven itself over time. I like companies that pay
employees to do things right when it's a critical component.

Free? You get what you pay for. So unless it's a wildly widespread and
popular package with many people maintaining it, it tends to crud.

The Gimp refers.

Unbreakable Disease

Jul 27, 2021, 7:27:35 AM7/27/21
On 22.07.2021 13:52, Alan Browne wrote:
> On 2021-07-22 04:52, Unbreakable Disease wrote:
>> On 19.07.2021 14:40, Alan Browne wrote:
>
>>> You can keep the encrypted master file on iCloud or Dropbox so it's
>>> available to all of your devices.  Avoid the 'rent' model if possible.
>>>
>> You can use any FOSS password manager. For me, anything that is not
>> FOSS is automatically suspicious (including 1Password). I don't trust
>> proprietary software and try to reduce its usage to minimum.
>
> 1Password has proven itself over time.  I like companies that pay
> employees to do things right when it's a critical component.
>
> Free?  You get what you pay for.  So unless it's a wildly widespread and
> popular package with many people maintaining it, it tends to crud.
>
> The Gimp refers.

Well, I like free software. It's not always of the same quality as
commercial software, but at least its security can be tested by many
experts in the industry easily as anyone has access to the source code.
Anyone can read and edit it... understanding and making it work not so much.

--
Tip me: bc1qtwmjzywve5v7z6jzk4dkg7v6masw2erpahsn9f
bitcoin:bc1qtwmjzywve5v7z6jzk4dkg7v6masw2erpahsn9f

Secmail.pro is down, please mail me at current address instead

Your Name

Jul 27, 2021, 4:30:20 PM7/27/21
On 2021-07-27 11:27:00 +0000, Unbreakable Disease said:
> On 22.07.2021 13:52, Alan Browne wrote:

>>> You can use any FOSS password manager. For me, anything that is not
>>> FOSS is automatically suspicious (including 1Password). I don't trust
>>> proprietary software and try to reduce its usage to minimum.
>>
>> 1Password has proven itself over time.  I like companies that pay
>> employees to do things right when it's a critical component.
>>
>> Free?  "You get what you pay for."  So unless it's a wildly widespread
>> and popular package with many people maintaining it, it tends to crud.
>>
>> The Gimp refers.
>
> Well, I like free software. It's not always of the same quality as
> commercial software, but at least its security can be tested by many
> experts in the industry easily as anyone has access to the source code.
> Anyone can read and edit it... understanding and making it work not so
> much.

With the source code available for free, it also means the hackers can
more easily work out how to steal your information. Using open source
or hacked pirated versions for anything even remotely to do with
security is simply incredibly silly.

nospam

Jul 27, 2021, 5:30:54 PM7/27/21
In article <sdpqco$1erg$1...@gioia.aioe.org>, Your Name
<Your...@YourISP.com> wrote:

> With the source code available for free, it also means the hackers can
> more easily work out how to steal your information. Using open source

nonsense.

open source means it's easy to audit so that nothing undesirable is
hidden.

> or hacked pirated versions for anything even remotely to do with
> security is simply incredibly silly.

that part is true. using pirated versions is dumb.

Bob Eager

Jul 27, 2021, 6:47:06 PM7/27/21
On Wed, 28 Jul 2021 08:30:16 +1200, Your Name wrote:

> With the source code available for free, it also means the hackers can
> more easily work out how to steal your information. Using open source or
> hacked pirated versions for anything even remotely to do with security
> is simply incredibly silly.

Ah, a proponent of security through obscurity.

I think not.

Your Name

Jul 27, 2021, 11:40:27 PM7/27/21
On 2021-07-27 22:47:01 +0000, Bob Eager said:
> On Wed, 28 Jul 2021 08:30:16 +1200, Your Name wrote:
>>
>> With the source code available for free, it also means the hackers can
>> more easily work out how to steal your information. Using open source or
>> hacked pirated versions for anything even remotely to do with security
>> is simply incredibly silly.
>
> Ah, a proponent of security through obscurity.
>
> I think not.

I guess that's why the banks leave their vault doors open all night. :-\

Otto J. Makela

Jul 28, 2021, 3:52:11 AM7/28/21
Your Name <Your...@YourISP.com> wrote:

> With the source code available for free, it also means the hackers can
> more easily work out how to steal your information. Using open source
> or hacked pirated versions for anything even remotely to do with
> security is simply incredibly silly.

"Hacked pirated" versions aside, security by obscurity never works in
the long run.

The security of cryptosystems should depend on things like your key
management, not that nobody has got their hands on the source code.
Widely used systems like openssl are open source and better for it,
as they have open audits of how they are builts.

--
/* * * Otto J. Makela <o...@iki.fi> * * * * * * * * * */
/* Phone: +358 40 765 5772, ICBM: N 60 10' E 24 55' */
/* Mail: Mechelininkatu 26 B 27, FI-00100 Helsinki */
/* * * Computers Rule 01001111 01001011 * * * * * * */

Bob Eager

Jul 28, 2021, 4:41:52 AM7/28/21
Non sequitur.

Lewis

Jul 28, 2021, 8:35:37 AM7/28/21
You obviously have no idea what "security by obscurity" means. A vault
is not obscure. If you hide you money in a hollow book, that would be
security by obscurity.

--
Demons have existed on the Discworld for at least as long as the
gods, who in many ways they closely resemble. The difference is

Scott Alfter

Jul 28, 2021, 1:45:28 PM7/28/21
In article <sdpqco$1erg$1...@gioia.aioe.org>,
Your Name <Your...@YourISP.com> wrote:
>With the source code available for free, it also means the hackers can
>more easily work out how to steal your information. Using open source
>or hacked pirated versions for anything even remotely to do with
>security is simply incredibly silly.

Security by obscurity? Please tell us you're joking...this has to be one of
the most ignorant comments I've seen on Usenet in a good long while.

If you have access to the source code, you can verify that (1) secure
algorithms are in use and (2) those algorithms have been properly translated
into secure code that works. Without source code, you're potentially buying
a pig in a poke.

_/_
(IIGS( https://alfter.us/ Top-posting!
\_^_/ >What's the most annoying thing on Usenet?

Lewis

Jul 28, 2021, 6:30:16 PM7/28/21
Once again you demonstrate a complete lack of knowledge on a topic. The
VAST majority of encryption is done with open source tools, you nimrod.
Not on;y that, but when companies try to write their own (like Telegram)
it turns out they write shitty software with massive security holes.

Please stop trying to weigh in on things you know absolutely nothing
about, it's embarrassing.

--
"Are you pondering what I'm pondering?"
"Sure, Brain, but how are we going to find chaps our size?"

nospam

Jul 28, 2021, 6:56:06 PM7/28/21
In article <slrnsg3mjk....@m1mini.local>, Lewis
that would mean an end to his posts...

Lewis

Jul 29, 2021, 3:38:25 AM7/29/21
<fingers crossed>

--
'The trouble with my friend here is that he doesn't know the
difference between a postulate and a metaphor of human existence.

rtr

Nov 27, 2021, 5:51:51 PM11/27/21
On Mon, 12 Jul 2021 09:53:00 +0000
Unbreakable Disease <unbre...@secmail.pro> wrote:

> My 50-year old brain isn't capable of memorizing that many passwords
> anymore, so I use KeePassXC. I keep basically everything here
> including my financial passwords and credit card data, with the
> exception of passwords that I would have to remember anyway
> (full-disk encryption, login, primary e-mail passwords, etc.)
>
> Overall, it's much easier to remember and much harder to forget 10
> complicated passwords that you use everyday than 100+ simple
> passwords you use every month or even less.
>
> I can't speak about Windows version of KeePass, because with the
> exception of playing games not available on Macintosh, I haven't used
> one since Windows 95 days.

I use Pass, which is a command-line only password manager using git and
gpg. It's good and lightweight.

Bob Eager

Nov 27, 2021, 6:40:33 PM11/27/21
Yes, me too. It works well.

Your Name

Nov 27, 2021, 8:26:41 PM11/27/21
MacOS has the Keychain app built-in.

1Password used to be a good third-party option, but recently it has
been tending more towards silly subscription-based pricing and storing
everything in the silly cloud. Probably best avoided in case some
future version decides that's the only way to use it.

There are numerous other third-party options.

Otto J. Makela

Nov 28, 2021, 7:17:00 AM11/28/21
rtr <r...@nospam.invalid> wrote:

> I use Pass, which is a command-line only password manager using git
> and gpg. It's good and lightweight.

I also use it, though gpg is a bit clunky it helps me trust the cryptosystem.

rtr

Nov 28, 2021, 8:06:56 AM11/28/21
On Sun, 28 Nov 2021 14:16:49 +0200
o...@iki.fi (Otto J. Makela) wrote:

> rtr <r...@nospam.invalid> wrote:
>
> > I use Pass, which is a command-line only password manager using git
> > and gpg. It's good and lightweight.
>
> I also use it, though gpg is a bit clunky it helps me trust the
> cryptosystem.

GPG is indeed a bit clunky and non-user friendly. It's really secure
but the complexity required to set it up makes it unapproachable.

It's only recently that I've gotten around maintaining a proper gpg key
setup when I was sorting out my password situation and looking at what
you can do with it it's certainly a waste that not all people are aware
or can even use this with ease.

--
Give them an inch and they will take a mile.

Anssi Saari

Nov 29, 2021, 6:01:14 AM11/29/21
rtr <r...@nospam.invalid> writes:

> I use Pass, which is a command-line only password manager using git and
> gpg. It's good and lightweight.

I haven't used pass but now that I looked into it, it seems it could
work for me too. I currently used Keepass with sftp access to the
password database and it works, for my current platforms which are
Linux, Android and Windows. Looks like pass could also work for my use
case.

Lewis

Nov 29, 2021, 10:52:17 AM11/29/21
In message <sm0zgpn...@lakka.kapsi.fi> Anssi Saari <a...@sci.fi> wrote:
> my current platforms which are Linux, Android and Windows.

So why are you posting to comp.sys.mac.system and comp.sys.mac.misc and
alt.atheism?

--
Laugh it up, fuzzball!

The Real Bev

Nov 29, 2021, 1:31:08 PM11/29/21
On 11/28/2021 04:16 AM, Otto J. Makela wrote:
> rtr <r...@nospam.invalid> wrote:
>
>> I use Pass, which is a command-line only password manager using git
>> and gpg. It's good and lightweight.
>
> I also use it, though gpg is a bit clunky it helps me trust the cryptosystem.

No. I have a text file for when browsers and email forget.

I'm increasingly annoyed by the 'security' features required by various
financial businesses. I don't want texts sent to my phone EVER -- email
is just fine. I don't want to have to respond to a text message on my
phone BEFORE I can accomplish a transaction on my computer. This shit
takes time. MY time.

--
Cheers, Bev
Warning -- Driver carries less than $20 worth of ammunition

Alan Browne

Dec 1, 2021, 6:51:49 PM12/1/21
On 2021-11-27 20:26, Your Name wrote:

> 1Password used to be a good third-party option, but recently it has been
> tending more towards silly subscription-based pricing and storing
> everything in the silly cloud. Probably best avoided in case some future
> version decides that's the only way to use it.

You can still buy the standalone version. (I have it).

And of course you store the encrypted database in a cloud location so
your many devices in many places can access the most recent data in it
(whether the subscription or "all paid" version).

I find Dropbox to be less problematic than Apple iCloud. The latter has
required that after changes made (ie) at home to appear on my work Mac
that I quit 1P and run it again. No such issues with Dropbox as the
cloud location.

nospam

Dec 1, 2021, 7:00:07 PM12/1/21
In article <lUTpJ.176380$I%1.14...@fx36.iad>, Alan Browne
<bitb...@blackhole.com> wrote:

> > 1Password used to be a good third-party option, but recently it has been
> > tending more towards silly subscription-based pricing and storing
> > everything in the silly cloud. Probably best avoided in case some future
> > version decides that's the only way to use it.
>
> You can still buy the standalone version. (I have it).

nope. they've stopped selling the standalone licenses after the
announcement of version 8.

<https://1password.community/discussion/122755/looking-to-buy-a-1passwor
d-7-standalone-non-subscription-licence-ugprade>
Standalone licenses are no longer for sale I am afraid, sorry. To
upgrade your 1Password app to version 7 or 8, you will need a
Membership. Please see this post from our founder Dave with all
the details

> And of course you store the encrypted database in a cloud location so
> your many devices in many places can access the most recent data in it
> (whether the subscription or "all paid" version).

yep.

> I find Dropbox to be less problematic than Apple iCloud. The latter has
> required that after changes made (ie) at home to appear on my work Mac
> that I quit 1P and run it again. No such issues with Dropbox as the
> cloud location.

no such problem here.

dropbox has become incredibly bloated and bad that it's no longer
usable. it also hooks into the os in evil ways.

Alan Browne

Dec 1, 2021, 7:47:00 PM12/1/21
On 2021-12-01 19:00, nospam wrote:
> In article <lUTpJ.176380$I%1.14...@fx36.iad>, Alan Browne
> <bitb...@blackhole.com> wrote:
>
>>> 1Password used to be a good third-party option, but recently it has been
>>> tending more towards silly subscription-based pricing and storing
>>> everything in the silly cloud. Probably best avoided in case some future
>>> version decides that's the only way to use it.
>>
>> You can still buy the standalone version. (I have it).
>
> nope. they've stopped selling the standalone licenses after the
> announcement of version 8.
>
> <https://1password.community/discussion/122755/looking-to-buy-a-1passwor
> d-7-standalone-non-subscription-licence-ugprade>
> Standalone licenses are no longer for sale I am afraid, sorry. To
> upgrade your 1Password app to version 7 or 8, you will need a
> Membership. Please see this post from our founder Dave with all
> the details

Then when 1P standalone breaks "usability" I will part company with them.

>> And of course you store the encrypted database in a cloud location so
>> your many devices in many places can access the most recent data in it
>> (whether the subscription or "all paid" version).
>
> yep.
>
>> I find Dropbox to be less problematic than Apple iCloud. The latter has
>> required that after changes made (ie) at home to appear on my work Mac
>> that I quit 1P and run it again. No such issues with Dropbox as the
>> cloud location.
>
> no such problem here.
>
> dropbox has become incredibly bloated and bad that it's no longer
> usable. it also hooks into the os in evil ways.

It's very usable. I have tons of files on it for various uses and
access files from many devices on a daily basis for both personal and
work. There is no "bloat" affecting that.

I also use iCloud for some things. There is often a "wait" while it
downloads files. Seems to wait until one wants a file rather than being
in sycn asap as Dropbox does.

Regardless, over the years I've had various issues using iCloud for 1P
sync. It will be fine for a few months and then go bonkers. Could be
because my home and work Macs are at different OS versions coupled to
1Password also being at different versions (home v. work Macs).

I don't care about that while Dropbox has been more reliable in this
regard - consistently.

nospam

Dec 1, 2021, 8:43:00 PM12/1/21
In article <5IUpJ.70459$qz4....@fx97.iad>, Alan Browne
<bitb...@blackhole.com> wrote:

> > dropbox has become incredibly bloated and bad that it's no longer
> > usable. it also hooks into the os in evil ways.
>
> It's very usable. I have tons of files on it for various uses and
> access files from many devices on a daily basis for both personal and
> work. There is no "bloat" affecting that.

the dropbox client is electron app (bloat) which contains a chrome
browser (more bloat). it's also a major resource hog. it's garbage.

<https://www.macrumors.com/guide/five-alternative-dropbox-clients/>
The Dropbox app has a troubled reputation among Mac users. The
client is often called out for using significant system resources,
even when it's not doing anything in the background. And when it
does lurch into action, syncing with Dropbox's servers can sometimes
be painfully slow, for no obvious reason.

Added to this is the fact that almost a year after the first Macs
with the M1 chip became available, Dropbox still doesn't natively
support Apple silicon, and won't until sometime in 2022. That means
M1 Mac owners must use Dropbox with Rosetta, and reports suggest the
client hemorrhages MacBook battery life and uses a disproportionate
amount of memory on Apple silicon Macs.

the above link lists alternative dropbox clients.

> I also use iCloud for some things. There is often a "wait" while it
> downloads files. Seems to wait until one wants a file rather than being
> in sycn asap as Dropbox does.
>
> Regardless, over the years I've had various issues using iCloud for 1P
> sync. It will be fine for a few months and then go bonkers. Could be
> because my home and work Macs are at different OS versions coupled to
> 1Password also being at different versions (home v. work Macs).

i've never seen any such issue across a wide array of macs, iphones and
ipads.

> I don't care about that while Dropbox has been more reliable in this
> regard - consistently.

opposite for me.

Alan Browne

Dec 2, 2021, 8:25:39 AM12/2/21
On 2021-12-01 20:42, nospam wrote:
> In article <5IUpJ.70459$qz4....@fx97.iad>, Alan Browne
> <bitb...@blackhole.com> wrote:
>
>>> dropbox has become incredibly bloated and bad that it's no longer
>>> usable. it also hooks into the os in evil ways.
>>
>> It's very usable. I have tons of files on it for various uses and
>> access files from many devices on a daily basis for both personal and
>> work. There is no "bloat" affecting that.
>
> the dropbox client is electron app (bloat) which contains a chrome
> browser (more bloat). it's also a major resource hog. it's garbage.
>
> <https://www.macrumors.com/guide/five-alternative-dropbox-clients/>
> The Dropbox app has a troubled reputation among Mac users. The
> client is often called out for using significant system resources,
> even when it's not doing anything in the background. And when it
> does lurch into action, syncing with Dropbox's servers can sometimes
> be painfully slow, for no obvious reason.
>
> Added to this is the fact that almost a year after the first Macs
> with the M1 chip became available, Dropbox still doesn't natively
> support Apple silicon, and won't until sometime in 2022. That means
> M1 Mac owners must use Dropbox with Rosetta, and reports suggest the
> client hemorrhages MacBook battery life and uses a disproportionate
> amount of memory on Apple silicon Macs.
>
> the above link lists alternative dropbox clients.

I don't care. It is more useful for me for many things than iCloud.
And for 1P sync there is only iCloud or Dropbox.

>> I also use iCloud for some things. There is often a "wait" while it
>> downloads files. Seems to wait until one wants a file rather than being
>> in sycn asap as Dropbox does.
>>
>> Regardless, over the years I've had various issues using iCloud for 1P
>> sync. It will be fine for a few months and then go bonkers. Could be
>> because my home and work Macs are at different OS versions coupled to
>> 1Password also being at different versions (home v. work Macs).
>
> i've never seen any such issue across a wide array of macs, iphones and
> ipads.

Of course.

>> I don't care about that while Dropbox has been more reliable in this
>> regard - consistently.
>
> opposite for me.

Of course.

The Real Bev

Feb 5, 2022, 12:41:46 PM2/5/22
On 02/05/2022 04:43 AM, Matti Haveri wrote:
> In article <sch3ep$87h$1...@dont-email.me>,
> Unbreakable Disease <unbre...@secmail.pro> wrote:
>
>> KeePassXC
>
> I used KeePassX 0.4.4 works up to OS X 10.11 and then, after some
> testing, settled to KeePassXC.
>
> I use the same .kdbx file at work with a KeePass Windows standalone
> version and it works great.

Does it put a text file containing the passwords on your computer or are
you completely reliant on the thing ALWAYS working forever?

--
Cheers, Bev
"Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity

Dan Purgert

Feb 5, 2022, 2:03:12 PM2/5/22

--
|_|O|_| Github: https://github.com/dpurgert
|_|_|O| PGP: DDAB 23FB 19FA 7D85 1CC1 E067 6D65 70E5 4CE7 2860

gtr

Feb 6, 2022, 2:27:57 PM2/6/22
On Jul 12, 2021 at 1:53:00 AM PDT, "Unbreakable Disease"
<unbre...@secmail.pro> wrote:

> My 50-year old brain isn't capable of memorizing that many passwords
> anymore, so I use KeePassXC. I keep basically everything here including
> my financial passwords and credit card data, with the exception of
> passwords that I would have to remember anyway (full-disk encryption,
> login, primary e-mail passwords, etc.)
>
> Overall, it's much easier to remember and much harder to forget 10
> complicated passwords that you use everyday than 100+ simple passwords
> you use every month or even less.
>
> I can't speak about Windows version of KeePass, because with the
> exception of playing games not available on Macintosh, I haven't used
> one since Windows 95 days.

I have the older version (non-subscription) of 1Password, but also make use of
the keychain password manager and the manager built-in to Safari (I use Safari
on both the mac and the ipad/iphone).

Only lately, when I'm offered a complex "strong password" of jibberish, I take
it. That's working well too.

But I also use a variation on the same password: I selected two capitalized
words (for instance ArchBasket with a few numbers, 245, then the first two
letters of the intended website, for instance AMazon. Then I use this same
password everywhere, with the exception of those last two letters.
ArchBasket245am, for Powell's books: ArchBasket245po.

It's easy to remember.

Siri Cruise

Feb 6, 2022, 9:21:12 PM2/6/22
In article <stp7fn$tn4$1...@dont-email.me>, gtr <x...@yyy.zzz>
wrote:

> But I also use a variation on the same password: I selected two capitalized

merde d'oie.

'I desire mercy, not sacrifice.' /|\

El Kabong

Feb 7, 2022, 1:16:41 AM2/7/22
With the latter system, if someone ever found out your
Powell's password (say, a rogue Powell admin), they might
easily guess your amazon & other passwords from that.

Also, if you should occasionally change a password, what
are you going to change it to? Your system doesn't allow
a lot of variation.

(i keep passwords in an encrypted excel file. Excel
always works, and it's safe for cloud storage.)

The Real Bev

Feb 7, 2022, 5:57:40 PM2/7/22
On 02/06/2022 06:21 PM, Siri Cruise wrote:
> In article <stp7fn$tn4$1...@dont-email.me>, gtr <x...@yyy.zzz>
> wrote:
>
>> But I also use a variation on the same password: I selected two capitalized
>
> merde d'oie.

The American version would be merde de cheval or possibly merde de
poulet, depending on the nature of the merde.

--
Cheers, Bev
"I'm sorry I ever invented the Electoral College."

Siri Cruise

Feb 7, 2022, 10:22:02 PM2/7/22
In article <sts850$dbi$2...@dont-email.me>,
The Real Bev <bashl...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 02/06/2022 06:21 PM, Siri Cruise wrote:
> > In article <stp7fn$tn4$1...@dont-email.me>, gtr <x...@yyy.zzz>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> But I also use a variation on the same password: I selected two capitalized
> >
> > merde d'oie.
>
> The American version would be merde de cheval or possibly merde de
> poulet, depending on the nature of the merde.

Or the Fountainhead. One of Toohey's disciples uses it in faux
brave nonconformist fashion pretending he is so brave saying
birdshit evem though nobody undrstsnds him to be outrwaged. this
contrasts to Roark who would just say burdsghit without nrrding
to outrage or shock.

Captain Troy Tempest

Feb 8, 2022, 9:02:31 PM2/8/22
On 06 Feb 2022, El Kabong said the following...

EK> XPost: alt.atheism, comp.misc, comp.sys.mac.misc
EK> XPost: comp.unix.misc
EK>
EK> gtr <x...@yyy.zzz> wrote:
EK>
EK> > On Jul 12, 2021 at 1:53:00 AM PDT, "Unbreakable Disease"
EK> > <unbre...@secmail.pro> wrote:
EK> >
EK> > > My 50-year old brain isn't capable of memorizing that many
EK> passwords
EK> > > anymore, so I use KeePassXC. I keep basically everything here
EK> includin
EK> > > my financial passwords and credit card data, with the
EK> exception of
EK> > > passwords that I would have to remember anyway (full-disk
EK> encryption,
EK> > > login, primary e-mail passwords, etc.)
EK> > >
EK> > > Overall, it's much easier to remember and much harder to
EK> forget 10
EK> > > complicated passwords that you use everyday than 100+ simple
EK> passwords
EK> > > you use every month or even less.
EK> > >
EK> > > I can't speak about Windows version of KeePass, because with
EK> the
EK> > > exception of playing games not available on Macintosh, I
EK> haven't used
EK> > > one since Windows 95 days.
EK> >
EK> > I have the older version (non-subscription) of 1Password, but
EK> also make
EK> > of
EK> > the keychain password manager and the manager built-in to Safari
EK> (I use
EK> > Safari
EK> > on both the mac and the ipad/iphone).

I use Roboform the best of all !!

... When all else fails, read the instructions

gtr

Feb 12, 2022, 2:55:41 PM2/12/22
I don't think it's a significant risk. But there is no system that is free of
risk. I usually ask myself, who can I imagine would crack the code? A rogue
Powell's employee? Okay. What would their nefarious plan be? Ordering
something from Amazon and diverting it to their home? Okay.

Most of the time I go through any of these .001% possibiities, I'm rarely
intimidated by it. I just can't imagine someone would pick me to highjack for
idle felony purchases via Amazon.

> Also, if you should occasionally change a password, what
> are you going to change it to? Your system doesn't allow
> a lot of variation.

My system allows for more than the two words I've indicated. ArchBasket245, if
a system demands a change becomes BasketClub356, then ClubDragon467. See the
nature of the changes?

Over the years its changed in other ways too. So various passwords adhere to
different rules as they morph through life. Still--I've got a 75% chance of
guessing right the first time, and 100% chance by the third try. It's good
enough for me.

> (i keep passwords in an encrypted excel file. Excel
> always works, and it's safe for cloud storage.)

But of course this system has the potential for problems, though they may
become more and more rare.

gtr

Feb 12, 2022, 4:35:18 PM2/12/22
<unbre...@secmail.pro> wrote:

> My 50-year old brain isn't capable of memorizing that many passwords
> anymore, so I use KeePassXC. I keep basically everything here including
> my financial passwords and credit card data, with the exception of
> passwords that I would have to remember anyway (full-disk encryption,
> login, primary e-mail passwords, etc.)
>
> Overall, it's much easier to remember and much harder to forget 10
> complicated passwords that you use everyday than 100+ simple passwords
> you use every month or even less.
>
> I can't speak about Windows version of KeePass, because with the
> exception of playing games not available on Macintosh, I haven't used
> one since Windows 95 days.

I'm really glad this topic came up. I'm sorting through the drek of old
users/passwords in Safari's stash, and Firefox's and 1Password v6 which I now
realize hasn't been working in Safari, but has in Firefox. It's a total mess.
I think I'll spend a few days trying to sort it out...