Startup Password - FMFD?

gtr

Nov 10, 2016, 12:31:56 PM11/10/16
In rebooting my computer today I got a request for system password from
fmfd. I granted it, but would kinda like to know what it is and what
it does. Apparently relate to "Find My Mac", I don't know why it
suddenly wants my system password on startup.

Jolly Roger

Nov 10, 2016, 12:48:55 PM11/10/16
On 2016-11-10, gtr <x...@yyy.zzz> wrote:
> In rebooting my computer today I got a request for system password from
> fmfd. I granted it, but would kinda like to know what it is and what
> it does. Apparently relate to "Find My Mac"

I believe this is the Find My Friends Daemon (FMFD).

> I don't know why it suddenly wants my system password on startup.

I've never seen it ask for credentials, even though I've enabled System
Preferences > iCloud > Find My Mac on numerous Macs.

JR

gtr

Nov 10, 2016, 1:22:02 PM11/10/16
On 2016-11-10 17:48:53 +0000, Jolly Roger said:

> On 2016-11-10, gtr <x...@yyy.zzz> wrote:
>> In rebooting my computer today I got a request for system password from
>> fmfd. I granted it, but would kinda like to know what it is and what
>> it does. Apparently relate to "Find My Mac"
>
> I believe this is the Find My Friends Daemon (FMFD).
>
>> I don't know why it suddenly wants my system password on startup.
>
> I've never seen it ask for credentials, even though I've enabled System
> Preferences > iCloud > Find My Mac on numerous Macs.

I installed Folx for hot-diggity downloading. I didn't care for it and
uninstalled it according to their website: Drag it to the trash, empty
trash. Someone had sent me a link to a file for download through an
email. A simple download. I clicked on it. It went to Safari and did
nothing.

I had clicked the same download 15 minutes earlier and it went through
Folx, and I though, "what's the point of this thing, I was doing fine
without it". Now, the link simply flashed in Safari and does nothing.
Again I'm confounded.

I rebooted the machine and that's when this credentials thing happened
with FMFD. Still Safari did nothing with the link. I tried fiddling
with some preferences to see if I could make it work, among them
turning off JavaScript. Then I did some regular stuff, among which was
going to Apple's icloud site. I find it want's JavaScript is
*required*. After all this chatter about potential issues with Java, I
was kind of surprised.

Something new every week...

nospam

Nov 10, 2016, 1:27:17 PM11/10/16
In article <2016111010215673213-xxx@yyyzzz>, gtr <x...@yyy.zzz> wrote:

> >> In rebooting my computer today I got a request for system password from
> >> fmfd. I granted it, but would kinda like to know what it is and what
> >> it does. Apparently relate to "Find My Mac"
> >
> > I believe this is the Find My Friends Daemon (FMFD).
> >
> >> I don't know why it suddenly wants my system password on startup.
> >
> > I've never seen it ask for credentials, even though I've enabled System
> > Preferences > iCloud > Find My Mac on numerous Macs.
>
> I installed Folx for hot-diggity downloading. I didn't care for it and
> uninstalled it according to their website: Drag it to the trash, empty
> trash. Someone had sent me a link to a file for download through an
> email. A simple download. I clicked on it. It went to Safari and did
> nothing.

it probably did, that being installing malware. you've been pwned.

gtr

Nov 10, 2016, 1:40:08 PM11/10/16
Folx is malware?

nospam

Nov 10, 2016, 2:13:57 PM11/10/16
In article <2016111010400132423-xxx@yyyzzz>, gtr <x...@yyy.zzz> wrote:

> >> I installed Folx for hot-diggity downloading. I didn't care for it and
> >> uninstalled it according to their website: Drag it to the trash, empty
> >> trash. Someone had sent me a link to a file for download through an
> >> email. A simple download. I clicked on it. It went to Safari and did
> >> nothing.
> >
> > it probably did, that being installing malware. you've been pwned.
>
> Folx is malware?

clicking a link in email (that alone is a bad idea), safari launching
which seemingly 'did nothing' followed by unusual things happening,
such as being asked for your admin password, screams malware.

Jolly Roger

Nov 10, 2016, 2:46:07 PM11/10/16
On 2016-11-10, gtr <x...@yyy.zzz> wrote:
> On 2016-11-10 17:48:53 +0000, Jolly Roger said:
>
>> On 2016-11-10, gtr <x...@yyy.zzz> wrote:
>>> In rebooting my computer today I got a request for system password from
>>> fmfd. I granted it, but would kinda like to know what it is and what
>>> it does. Apparently relate to "Find My Mac"
>>
>> I believe this is the Find My Friends Daemon (FMFD).
>>
>>> I don't know why it suddenly wants my system password on startup.
>>
>> I've never seen it ask for credentials, even though I've enabled System
>> Preferences > iCloud > Find My Mac on numerous Macs.
>
> I installed Folx for hot-diggity downloading. I didn't care for it
> and uninstalled it according to their website: Drag it to the trash,
> empty trash. Someone had sent me a link to a file for download
> through an email. A simple download. I clicked on it. It went to
> Safari and did nothing.

Did Safari attempt to download the file? What showed up in the location
bar (URL)?

> I had clicked the same download 15 minutes earlier and it went through
> Folx, and I though, "what's the point of this thing, I was doing fine
> without it". Now, the link simply flashed in Safari and does nothing.
> Again I'm confounded.

I've never felt I needed an app just to manage my downloads. It would
only complicate what is already brain-dead simple.

> I rebooted the machine and that's when this credentials thing happened
> with FMFD.

Probably just a coincidence.

> Still Safari did nothing with the link.

What was the link? Did Safari even attempt to connect?

> I tried fiddling with some preferences to see if I could make it work,
> among them turning off JavaScript. Then I did some regular stuff,
> among which was going to Apple's icloud site. I find it want's
> JavaScript is *required*. After all this chatter about potential
> issues with Java, I was kind of surprised.

Java isn't the same thing as Javascript.

Jolly Roger

Nov 10, 2016, 2:47:52 PM11/10/16
On 2016-11-10, nospam <nos...@nospam.invalid> wrote:

>>> it probably did, that being installing malware. you've been pwned.
>>
>> Folx is malware?

Download managers are certainly *not* what I would consider to be
desirable or noteworthy software.

> clicking a link in email (that alone is a bad idea), safari launching
> which seemingly 'did nothing' followed by unusual things happening,
> such as being asked for your admin password, screams malware.

True.

So what were these links to?

gtr

Nov 10, 2016, 3:57:09 PM11/10/16
On 2016-11-10 19:47:50 +0000, Jolly Roger said:

>>> Folx is malware?
>
> Download managers are certainly *not* what I would consider to be
> desirable or noteworthy software.

Yeah. They use to have an uninstaller, but with the recent versions I
note their instructions are (currently) simply to delete the program
and empty the trash as indicated above. Later I find there is a Folx
Agent program and other attendant files in the Library/Application
Support so deleted those as well.

>> clicking a link in email (that alone is a bad idea), safari launching
>> which seemingly 'did nothing' followed by unusual things happening,
>> such as being asked for your admin password, screams malware.
>
> True.
>
> So what were these links to?

A link to beta software of a program named VideoDrive by Aroona
software. Of which I am a big fan by the way. Totally legit, I've
encountered a bug and we're working to address it. I asked them if
they ditched the file after my download or something and they say they
have no idea what the issue is, and the file is still there.

gtr

Nov 10, 2016, 4:00:00 PM11/10/16
On 2016-11-10 19:46:05 +0000, Jolly Roger said:

> On 2016-11-10, gtr <x...@yyy.zzz> wrote:

>>> I believe this is the Find My Friends Daemon (FMFD).

>>> I've never seen it ask for credentials, even though I've enabled System
>>> Preferences > iCloud > Find My Mac on numerous Macs.
>>
>> I installed Folx for hot-diggity downloading. I didn't care for it
>> and uninstalled it according to their website: Drag it to the trash,
>> empty trash. Someone had sent me a link to a file for download
>> through an email. A simple download. I clicked on it. It went to
>> Safari and did nothing.
>
> Did Safari attempt to download the file? What showed up in the location
> bar (URL)?

It flashes the link very briefly and is gone--quicker than my ability
to see it. I've been trying to figure out how to "see" what it
processed, but don't know how to analyze it.

>> I had clicked the same download 15 minutes earlier and it went through
>> Folx, and I though, "what's the point of this thing, I was doing fine
>> without it". Now, the link simply flashed in Safari and does nothing.
>> Again I'm confounded.
>>
> I've never felt I needed an app just to manage my downloads. It would
> only complicate what is already brain-dead simple.'

I got it free with a MacUpDate package so gave it a try.

>> I rebooted the machine and that's when this credentials thing happened
>> with FMFD.
>
> Probably just a coincidence.

Next reboot did not require it.

>> Still Safari did nothing with the link.
>
> What was the link? Did Safari even attempt to connect?

I can say for sure, it just flashes really quickly in the URL field.

>> I tried fiddling with some preferences to see if I could make it work,
>> among them turning off JavaScript. Then I did some regular stuff,
>> among which was going to Apple's icloud site. I find it want's
>> JavaScript is *required*. After all this chatter about potential
>> issues with Java, I was kind of surprised.
>
> Java isn't the same thing as Javascript.

So iCloud using Javascript is legit?

gtr

Nov 10, 2016, 4:06:25 PM11/10/16
On 2016-11-10 20:59:53 +0000, gtr said:

>>> I installed Folx for hot-diggity downloading. I didn't care for it
>>> and uninstalled it according to their website: Drag it to the trash,
>>> empty trash. Someone had sent me a link to a file for download
>>> through an email. A simple download. I clicked on it. It went to
>>> Safari and did nothing.
>>
>> Did Safari attempt to download the file? What showed up in the location
>> bar (URL)?
>
> It flashes the link very briefly and is gone--quicker than my ability
> to see it. I've been trying to figure out how to "see" what it
> processed, but don't know how to analyze it.

I should add that if I simply copy and paste this link into the Safari
URL field it downloads it like regular. Folx apparently does some kind
of intercept (I'm guessing, as it did this initially with this link),
and is may well be continuing to intercept but doing nothing with it
since it's no longer there or operational.

>> What was the link? Did Safari even attempt to connect?

I'm reluctant to give the real link publicly, since it's this guys beta
software but it is simply:

http://downloads.[company].com//[foldername]/ProgramBeta.zip

I'll be glad to send it to your email, if it will help.

Jolly Roger

Nov 10, 2016, 4:13:51 PM11/10/16
Yes. *Most* web sites make use of JavaScript for normal functionality;
but not many use the Java plug-in module.

gtr

Nov 10, 2016, 4:15:34 PM11/10/16
Hmm. I thought I copied and pasted this fine as is; I know note that
double-slash might be the problem.

Jolly Roger

Nov 10, 2016, 4:28:23 PM11/10/16
On 2016-11-10, gtr <x...@yyy.zzz> wrote:

>>> Did Safari attempt to download the file? What showed up in the location
>>> bar (URL)?
>>
>> It flashes the link very briefly and is gone--quicker than my ability
>> to see it. I've been trying to figure out how to "see" what it
>> processed, but don't know how to analyze it.
>
> I should add that if I simply copy and paste this link into the Safari
> URL field it downloads it like regular. Folx apparently does some kind
> of intercept (I'm guessing, as it did this initially with this link),
> and is may well be continuing to intercept but doing nothing with it
> since it's no longer there or operational.

I seems like Folx is still active and not completely removed from your
computer. Apparently they told you only to remove the application by
dragging it to the trash, but not how to remove the supporting software
package(s). But there apparently is a built-in "Uninstall" function in
the app. So if I were you I would try installing it again, and this time
go into the Help menu and choose Uninstall to let the app remove itself
(and hopefully all of it).

>>> What was the link? Did Safari even attempt to connect?
>
> I'm reluctant to give the real link publicly, since it's this guys beta
> software but it is simply:
>
> http://downloads.[company].com//[foldername]/ProgramBeta.zip
>
> I'll be glad to send it to your email, if it will help.

No need.

gtr

Nov 10, 2016, 4:35:34 PM11/10/16
On 2016-11-10 21:13:48 +0000, Jolly Roger said:

> On 2016-11-10, gtr <x...@yyy.zzz> wrote:

>>> Java isn't the same thing as Javascript.
>>
>> So iCloud using Javascript is legit?
>
> Yes. *Most* web sites make use of JavaScript for normal functionality;
> but not many use the Java plug-in module.

Great. Thanks.

gtr

Nov 10, 2016, 4:37:27 PM11/10/16
I'll try that but I think you may be referring to a previous version of
the program that had an "uninstall" option in it. On their website
they say that refers only to earlier version of the app.

>> I'm reluctant to give the real link publicly, since it's this guys beta
>> software but it is simply:
>>
>> http://downloads.[company].com//[foldername]/ProgramBeta.zip
>>
>> I'll be glad to send it to your email, if it will help.
>
> No need.

Too late! Please disregard the email, except the praise for your
regular life-lines.

gtr

Nov 10, 2016, 4:54:40 PM11/10/16
On 2016-11-10 21:37:19 +0000, gtr said:

>> I seems like Folx is still active and not completely removed from your
>> computer. Apparently they told you only to remove the application by
>> dragging it to the trash, but not how to remove the supporting software
>> package(s). But there apparently is a built-in "Uninstall" function in
>> the app. So if I were you I would try installing it again, and this time
>> go into the Help menu and choose Uninstall to let the app remove itself
>> (and hopefully all of it).
>
> I'll try that but I think you may be referring to a previous version of
> the program that had an "uninstall" option in it. On their website
> they say that refers only to earlier version of the app.

Downloaded the installer again, and there is no "uninstall" in the
folder, as was once the case. Before I manually deleted it, the
application had no help>uninstall option, that too was a previous
version of the software.

At your behest I went ahead and installed the thing yet again; my
memory is correct the help feature now takes you to a menu of options,
one of which is "Uninstallation". That link now takes you here:

http://wiki.eltima.com/user-guides/uninstall-mac.html

Sheesh--what a day!

Guts now tells me I happened to have three things all happen at the
same time and associated them: An uninstall, a link that suddenly
doesn't work that happened to be a download, and FMFD suddenly asking
me for my password. Can coincidences that evil really happen?

nospam

Nov 10, 2016, 6:34:48 PM11/10/16
In article <2016111012595346486-xxx@yyyzzz>, gtr <x...@yyy.zzz> wrote:

> >> I installed Folx for hot-diggity downloading. I didn't care for it
> >> and uninstalled it according to their website: Drag it to the trash,
> >> empty trash. Someone had sent me a link to a file for download
> >> through an email. A simple download. I clicked on it. It went to
> >> Safari and did nothing.
> >
> > Did Safari attempt to download the file? What showed up in the location
> > bar (URL)?
>
> It flashes the link very briefly and is gone--quicker than my ability
> to see it. I've been trying to figure out how to "see" what it
> processed, but don't know how to analyze it.

red flag

> >> I had clicked the same download 15 minutes earlier and it went through
> >> Folx, and I though, "what's the point of this thing, I was doing fine
> >> without it". Now, the link simply flashed in Safari and does nothing.
> >> Again I'm confounded.
> >>
> > I've never felt I needed an app just to manage my downloads. It would
> > only complicate what is already brain-dead simple.'
>
> I got it free with a MacUpDate package so gave it a try.

red flag #2

Jolly Roger

Nov 10, 2016, 6:36:57 PM11/10/16
On 2016-11-10, gtr <x...@yyy.zzz> wrote:
It's really lame for a software company not to provide a simple and easy
way to quickly and *completely* remove the software from your computer.
That alone would result in me not using it, but I already have no need
for a download manager.

Have you tried booting in Safe Mode to see if clicking links works
correctly without third-party software running?

I would look in /Library/LaunchDaemons/, /Library/StartupItems/, and
/Library/Internet Plug-Ins to see if there is anything in there related
to Folx. I'd also do a Spotlight search for "Folx" and see what appears
in the result list. I'd move anything that might cause the incorrect
behavior (internet plugins, etc) to the trash and reboot to see if that
restores the proper behavior.

gtr

Nov 10, 2016, 7:00:40 PM11/10/16
I don't need it either but it actually seems to be a pretty hip
solution for people who download mega-gigs of data. It breaks up the
download into up to 20 torrents. But I can't imagine it saves me more
than 20 seconds, and even if it was three hours--who cares? I once
lived with a 1200-baud modem, I've got the time for a 4G file any day
of the week.

[I'm of the mind that my "problem" is "solved", nevertheless for any
passersby scratching their head over the same issue(s):]

A lack of a complete uninstall option I think *inexcusable*. From
snooping during the last installation I see that the drag-and-drop
installation is simple enough. So the first time you run it there is
some "accept/reject" dialogue, but not the explicit "can I install some
stuff" dialogue that seems ubiquitous these days. Still, it installs a
"Folx3" folder with a Folx Agent application within the Eltima folder
of the Application Support folder, or perhaps in its own stand-alone
folder. Having done it more than once, I'm unsure. This, despite the
fact the program is currently at v3.

I assume from their perspective that since it doesn't work without the
primary program calling it they don't care. God knows I've probably
got 20 gig of shit in my Library folder from programs I tried 5 years
ago. I've tried being a good detective and deleting what I can, but
know I can run into problems mis-identifying things.

> Have you tried booting in Safe Mode to see if clicking links works
> correctly without third-party software running?

I have not: Though I haven't yet had it verified from the software guys
that sent me the inital link, I believe their errant double-slash "//"
in the link is what has Safari rejecting it. The first time I used the
link I actually let Folx do the work and I believe it corrected the
link. Once uninstalled, the link simply failed for its own reasons. But
when I copy and paste in the link replacing the double-slash with a
single, it works fine.

FYI, I also sent a request for aid to the Eltima cserve crew and they
have not responded. I know these shops are in a garage, and the
ceo/programmer probably hasn't gotten home from his "real job", so I
have no enmity about that.

> I would look in /Library/LaunchDaemons/, /Library/StartupItems/, and
> /Library/Internet Plug-Ins to see if there is anything in there related
> to Folx. I'd also do a Spotlight search for "Folx" and see what appears
> in the result list. I'd move anything that might cause the incorrect
> behavior (internet plugins, etc) to the trash and reboot to see if that
> restores the proper behavior.

I've rooted out every "folx"-tagged item and have my fingers crossed.
Thanks for the input.

Alan Browne

Nov 12, 2016, 2:26:37 PM11/12/16
There's an uninstall app called AppCleaner that I use. It purports to
located all files associated with an app and delete them. I've been
using it for many years w/o issues. I don't know that it actually
-does- get everything that the app being deleted wrote.
--
She hummed to herself because she was an unrivaled botcher of lyrics.
-Nick (Gone Girl), Gillian Flynn.

Jolly Roger

Nov 12, 2016, 3:22:17 PM11/12/16
Typically they just find all files related to the app's bundle ID
assigned by the developer, and move them to the trash. Hazel also
provides that sort of automatic uninstall functionality, along with its
other really useful features:

<https://www.noodlesoft.com>

gtr

Nov 12, 2016, 8:31:16 PM11/12/16
On 2016-11-12 19:26:30 +0000, Alan Browne said:

>> Guts now tells me I happened to have three things all happen at the same
>> time and associated them: An uninstall, a link that suddenly doesn't
>> work that happened to be a download, and FMFD suddenly asking me for my
>> password. Can coincidences that evil really happen?
>
> There's an uninstall app called AppCleaner that I use. It purports to
> located all files associated with an app and delete them. I've been
> using it for many years w/o issues. I don't know that it actually
> -does- get everything that the app being deleted wrote.

I picked that up somewhere along the way but had forgotten the name of
it. I think it was even referenced by a developer when I was trying to
rid myself of their software.

On 2016-11-12 20:22:14 +0000, Jolly Roger said:

> Typically they just find all files related to the app's bundle ID
> assigned by the developer, and move them to the trash. Hazel also
> provides that sort of automatic uninstall functionality, along with its
> other really useful features:
>
> <https://www.noodlesoft.com>

Also looks interesting.

John McWilliams

Nov 13, 2016, 7:36:14 PM11/13/16
On 11/12/16 PDT 12:22 PM, Jolly Roger wrote:
> On 2016-11-12, Alan Browne <alan....@freelunchvideotron.ca> wrote:
>> On 2016-11-10 16:54, gtr wrote:
>>
>> There's an uninstall app called AppCleaner that I use. It purports to
>> located all files associated with an app and delete them. I've been
>> using it for many years w/o issues. I don't know that it actually
>> -does- get everything that the app being deleted wrote.
>
> Typically they just find all files related to the app's bundle ID
> assigned by the developer, and move them to the trash. Hazel also
> provides that sort of automatic uninstall functionality, along with its
> other really useful features:
>
> <https://www.noodlesoft.com>

There was an app quite a few years ago that you had to run on installing
something, and it would track where everything went, and was therefor
able to remove them when run as an uninstaller. I no longer need or want
such, but am curious if anyone recalls the name!

--

En route, not en croûte!

Jolly Roger

Nov 13, 2016, 8:48:23 PM11/13/16
Yep, I remember that; but I don't recall the name. Sorry.

gtr

Nov 13, 2016, 9:36:54 PM11/13/16
That sounds very familiar. Wasn't that a Mac OS 9 program?

Andre G. Isaak

Nov 14, 2016, 12:31:29 AM11/14/16
In article <o0b0ss$peu$1...@dont-email.me>,
I'd be a bit wary of using software like that -- Many applications
install files which end up being used by multiple applications.

André

--
To email remove 'invalid' & replace 'gm' with well known Google mail service.

gtr

Nov 14, 2016, 1:01:41 AM11/14/16
You'd think the programmers of such programs would work assiduously to
avoid precisely those shared resources if that is the nature of the
program. That's really all you're paying for.

John McWilliams

Nov 14, 2016, 10:22:14 AM11/14/16
In my experience, applications which used others' files used only Apple
installed files, usually part of the OS or major apps such as iTunes.

In any event, I have no interest in using such a program now, and no,
gtr, what I was recalling was not part of any OS I recall, though I've
been through many dozens, perhaps hundreds counting updates. (Started
with MacPlus, whatever OS that had.)

Andre G. Isaak

Nov 14, 2016, 1:22:23 PM11/14/16
In article <o0ckq5$8oe$1...@dont-email.me>,
Applications by the same vendor often make use of shared components
(e.g. different adobe applications, different microsoft applications,
etc.).

Andre

John McWilliams

Nov 14, 2016, 1:32:50 PM11/14/16
I don't care a whit about MS apps, but Adobe I may- I use both LR and
PS, and am not about to delete either. Do they share libraries? Or with
Acrobat?

IRRC, the last time I deleted an app with shared libraries it gave a
warning. But that was years ago.

nospam

Nov 14, 2016, 4:17:32 PM11/14/16
In article <o0cvvg$kr4$1...@dont-email.me>, John McWilliams
very much so.

> IRRC, the last time I deleted an app with shared libraries it gave a
> warning. But that was years ago.

no it didn't.

there's no way finder or anything else knows a particular file or
folder is shared among multiple apps. it's just another file.

that's why the 'cleaner' apps are very dangerous. they have no way to
tell if something is needed by another app. there's also no point in
bothering, since leftover files are inert. they just take up a tiny
amount of space (a few kilobytes for a typical preference file).

apps with shared components come with an uninstaller to properly
uninstall what's not needed and leave what is. anything else is just
asking for trouble.

gtr

Nov 14, 2016, 9:12:26 PM11/14/16
I didn't mant part of the OS proper, but as program that only ran in
the Mac OS 9 architecture.

gtr

Nov 14, 2016, 9:16:34 PM11/14/16
On 2016-11-14 21:17:29 +0000, nospam said:

>>> Applications by the same vendor often make use of shared components
>>> (e.g. different adobe applications, different microsoft applications,
>>> etc.).
>>
>> I don't care a whit about MS apps, but Adobe I may- I use both LR and
>> PS, and am not about to delete either. Do they share libraries? Or with
>> Acrobat?
>
> very much so.
>
>> IRRC, the last time I deleted an app with shared libraries it gave a
>> warning. But that was years ago.
>
> no it didn't.
>
> there's no way finder or anything else knows a particular file or
> folder is shared among multiple apps. it's just another file.
>
> that's why the 'cleaner' apps are very dangerous. they have no way to
> tell if something is needed by another app.

They do have some limited ability if programmers for app-delete
programs make a point of addressing shared libraries under Corel, Adobe
and MicroSoft, among a few of the 500-lb gorillas. In any case if they
see the program is one of these daisy-chain-happy companies they
could--warn you.

> ...there's also no point in
> bothering, since leftover files are inert. they just take up a tiny
> amount of space (a few kilobytes for a typical preference file).
>
> apps with shared components come with an uninstaller to properly
> uninstall what's not needed and leave what is. anything else is just
> asking for trouble.

That's been my experience.