How often do you rebuild your macOS Big Sur v11's Spotlight indexes?

Ant

Jul 1, 2021, 9:08:35 PMJul 1
It seems I have to do it monthly
(https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201716) since it is not finding all
matched Office documents in Documents folder. This never happened in
older versions like Mojave v10.14. :(

Thank you for reading and hopefully answering soon. :)
--
Aw! Poor tired LA Clippers got (burn/roast)ed by the hot Suns. Maybe next season! July already? It had been over a month with W10 (it still sucks) PC. :P
| |o o| |

Ant

Jul 1, 2021, 9:09:50 PMJul 1
Oh and I forgot "How often do you rebuild your macOS Big Sur v11's Spotlight indexes?" in the body. :)

Bob Campbell

Jul 1, 2021, 11:31:55 PMJul 1
On 7/1/21 9:08 PM, Ant wrote:
> It seems I have to do it monthly
> (https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201716) since it is not finding all
> matched Office documents in Documents folder. This never happened in
> older versions like Mojave v10.14. :(

Never. I have never used search ever, on Mac or on Windows. In over
30 years of using computers - at home and at work - I have never needed
to search for anything.

nospam

Jul 1, 2021, 11:46:36 PMJul 1
In article <G9OdnRZ_ovU-FUP9...@supernews.com>, Bob
you must not have very many files, or you don't do very much with your
computer.

Alan Baker

Jul 2, 2021, 12:34:30 AMJul 2
Then you're an idiot or your use of computers is trivial.

Lewis

Jul 2, 2021, 2:44:08 AMJul 2
In message <XeGdnWshZZWW-kP9...@earthlink.com> Ant <a...@zimage.comANT> wrote:
> It seems I have to do it monthly
> (https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201716) since it is not finding all
> matched Office documents in Documents folder. This never happened in
> older versions like Mojave v10.14. :(

I think in 15 years of macOS/OS X I've rebuilt spotlight indexes maybe
4 or 5 times total. I am pretty sure I have not done it under Big Sur or
Monterey.

--
I feel like we fell out of the Lucky Tree and hit every branch
on the way down, then landed in a pool full of cash and

Dr Eberhard W Lisse

Jul 2, 2021, 3:11:56 AMJul 2
Where does the need to insult people come from?

Insecurity?

el

Alan Baker

Jul 2, 2021, 3:25:16 AMJul 2
I don't suffer idiots gladly.

I'm not sorry about that.

The simple fact is that his post was completely unhelpful.

Dr Eberhard Lisse

Jul 2, 2021, 5:54:45 AMJul 2
Ah, insecurity it is.

el
--
To email me replace 'nospam' with 'el'

nospam

Jul 2, 2021, 7:37:23 AMJul 2
In article <ik7shn...@mid.individual.net>, Dr Eberhard W Lisse
<nos...@lisse.NA> wrote:

> Where does the need to insult people come from?

he didn't insult anyone. what he said is an accurate description,
assuming the post is not trollbait.

> Insecurity?

no.

and don't top post.

Wolffan

Jul 2, 2021, 8:40:03 AMJul 2
On 2021 Jul 01, Ant wrote
(in article<XeGdnWshZZWW-kP9...@earthlink.com>):

> It seems I have to do it monthly
> (https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201716) since it is not finding all
> matched Office documents in Documents folder. This never happened in
> older versions like Mojave v10.14. :(
>
> Thank you for reading and hopefully answering soon. :)

I’ve never manually rebuilt the Spotlight index in Big Sur. I last rebuilt
the Spotlight index manually five or six years ago. Doing an update install
usually rebuilds the Spotlight index automatically on reboot. There is
usually no reason to rebuild the index after that.

Why do you think that you need to rebuild the index? Are you having problems
with a search?

Wolffan

Jul 2, 2021, 8:46:56 AMJul 2
On 2021 Jul 01, Bob Campbell wrote
(in article<G9OdnRZ_ovU-FUP9...@supernews.com>):
Interesting. I have a 2 TB HDD and a 1 TB SSD internally on this machine, and
have access to over 40 TB of storage, by USB, in a NAS, and in network
connections to other computers, Mac, Windows, and Linux. Finding files in all
that would be non-trivial without using search. So... how _do_ you find
files? How much storage is on your machine(s)? How much time do you spend
moving around files and folders? What is your objection to using search?

Dr Eberhard Lisse

Jul 2, 2021, 10:22:12 AMJul 2
In most cultures the word idiot is frowned upon in conversation.

el

nospam

Jul 2, 2021, 11:12:42 AMJul 2
In article <ik8lof...@mid.individual.net>, Dr Eberhard Lisse
<nos...@lisse.NA> wrote:

> In most cultures the word idiot is frowned upon in conversation.

not when the word is appropriate and accurately describes someone, such
as when a person intentionally, deliberately and blatantly violates
usenet posting etiquette by top posting, especially after repeatedly
being told to not do that in numerous threads.

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.
Q: What is the most annoying thing in e-mail and USENET?

Lewis

Jul 2, 2021, 12:41:42 PMJul 2
Agreed. Spotlight is a great tool.

$ DF
Drobo
CPCTY: 14.3619 TB
AVAIL: 2.75545 TB
Local
CPCTY: 39.9932 TB
AVAIL: 20.1888 TB

In addition to that, I have another 30TB of network storage mounted, and
that is also spotlight indexed. I'd never find anything without it, or
at least it would take me a lot longer (hours).

--
I WILL NOT FAKE RABIES Bart chalkboard Ep. 8F07

Lewis

Jul 2, 2021, 12:48:05 PMJul 2
In message <ik8lof...@mid.individual.net> Dr Eberhard Lisse <nos...@lisse.NA> wrote:
> In most cultures the word idiot is frowned upon in conversation.

And yet, it is also an accurate description of someone who claims to
have "never used search ever" or the other option, your use of a
computer is trivial.

I know someone who has never used search on her computer either. She is
an accountant. She runs two programs on her computer, and only two.
Google Chrome and her accounting software (whatever Peachtree became
when it was Borged). She has no need of search because the only data on
her computer is the accounting files. (Literally the only data, no
music, photos, videos, documents, nothing).

Your insistence on top-posting lends credence to the 'idiot'
possibility.

--
Vote for Nobody because nobody can get us out of the mess we're in.

Lewis

Jul 2, 2021, 12:49:22 PMJul 2
In message <ik8631...@mid.individual.net> Dr Eberhard Lisse <nos...@lisse.NA> wrote:
> Ah, insecurity it is.

You are a troll shit and I claim my £5.

--
"I can't marry her; she's my friend!"

nospam

Jul 2, 2021, 1:14:43 PMJul 2
In article <slrnsdugq1....@m1mini.local>, Lewis
<g.k...@kreme.dont-email.me> wrote:

> In message <ik8lof...@mid.individual.net> Dr Eberhard Lisse
> <nos...@lisse.NA> wrote:
> > In most cultures the word idiot is frowned upon in conversation.
>
> And yet, it is also an accurate description of someone who claims to
> have "never used search ever" or the other option, your use of a
> computer is trivial.

yep

> I know someone who has never used search on her computer either. She is
> an accountant. She runs two programs on her computer, and only two.
> Google Chrome and her accounting software (whatever Peachtree became
> when it was Borged). She has no need of search because the only data on
> her computer is the accounting files. (Literally the only data, no
> music, photos, videos, documents, nothing).

she might not need to search for photos or whatever on her computer,
but certainly she must have searched for stuff online using a search
engine in chrome and likely searched for specific transactions or
client data in the accounting software.

> Your insistence on top-posting lends credence to the 'idiot'
> possibility.

it guarantees it.

Wolffan

Jul 2, 2021, 2:18:21 PMJul 2
On 2021 Jul 02, Lewis wrote
(in article <slrnsdugsf....@m1mini.local>):

> In message<ik8631...@mid.individual.net> Dr Eberhard Lisse
> <nos...@lisse.NA> wrote:
> > Ah, insecurity it is.
>
> You are a troll shit and I claim my £5.

oh, there’s no doubt but that Ebie is a troll.

Ant

Jul 2, 2021, 6:29:44 PMJul 2
In comp.sys.mac.apps Wolffan <akwo...@zoho.com> wrote:
> On 2021 Jul 01, Ant wrote
> (in article<XeGdnWshZZWW-kP9...@earthlink.com>):

> > It seems I have to do it monthly
> > (https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201716) since it is not finding all
> > matched Office documents in Documents folder. This never happened in
> > older versions like Mojave v10.14. :(
> >
> > Thank you for reading and hopefully answering soon. :)

> I???ve never manually rebuilt the Spotlight index in Big Sur. I last rebuilt
> the Spotlight index manually five or six years ago. Doing an update install
> usually rebuilds the Spotlight index automatically on reboot. There is
> usually no reason to rebuild the index after that.

> Why do you think that you need to rebuild the index? Are you having problems
> with a search?

Yes, it doesn't see all the thousands of Office files in ~/Documents.
Rebuilding Spotlight fixes it temporarily. :(
--
Will 2021 repeat 2020? :(

Lewis

Jul 2, 2021, 9:43:14 PMJul 2
I was thinking of the ;search; comparable to spotlight.

>> Your insistence on top-posting lends credence to the 'idiot'
>> possibility.

> it guarantees it.

Yeah, I binned the idiot.

--
Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them
are stupider than that.

Dr Eberhard W Lisse

Jul 3, 2021, 3:27:45 AMJul 3

I was expecting you to come in with your usual unhelpful comments in
fecal language.

Dr Eberhard W Lisse

Jul 3, 2021, 3:28:15 AMJul 3
Who's Ebie?

el

Dr Eberhard W Lisse

Jul 3, 2021, 3:28:37 AMJul 3
And don't insult.

el

Dr Eberhard W Lisse

Jul 3, 2021, 3:33:22 AMJul 3
One idiots's free speech is another's crimen injuria.

el

On 2021-07-02 17:12 , nospam wrote:
> In article <ik8lof...@mid.individual.net>, Dr Eberhard Lisse
> <nos...@lisse.NA> wrote:
>
>> In most cultures the word idiot is frowned upon in conversation.
>
> not when the word is appropriate and accurately describes someone, such
> as when a person intentionally, deliberately and blatantly violates
> usenet posting etiquette by top posting, especially after repeatedly
> being told to not do that in numerous threads.

[...] Q/A intentionally deleted.

Dr Eberhard W Lisse

Jul 3, 2021, 3:39:57 AMJul 3

And yet you still are unable to follow through on your announce having
plunked me and yet you can't resist being trolled. Other than that,
what overweight script kiddies living in their parents' basements do
don't concern me much.

The only thing I search in is my mail archive (in a MySQL Data base)
going back 1o 1999 (I lost the 20 years before that).

For Spotlight I turned off everything by Applications in the
Preferences because the SOftware Update depends on it, but I haven't
had the need for Spotlight search of files ever.

I use find on the command line with its options which existed before
MacOS and will probably survive it.

el

Dr Eberhard W Lisse

Jul 3, 2021, 3:40:46 AMJul 3
Yes you binned and plunked me and yet you can't resist.

el

Dr Eberhard W Lisse

Jul 3, 2021, 3:50:25 AMJul 3

I find files like so:

find ~/Library/Application\ Support/TextMate/Managed/Bundles \
-depth 1 -name '*.tmbundle' \
-exec bash -c '
tput bold;
echo -n "$(defaults read "{}/info.plist" name): ";
tput sgr0;
echo $(if cd "{}/Syntaxes" 2>/dev/null;
then
for syntax in *.plist *.tmLanguage;
do
if [ -f "${syntax}" ];
then
/usr/libexec/PlistBuddy -c \
"Print :scopeName" "${syntax}" \
2>/dev/null \
| grep -v "[\{\}]";
fi;
done;
fi)' \; \
| sort -f

or

find $HOME -not \( -path $HOME/Library -prune \) \
-not \( -path $HOME/Downloads -prune \) \
-not \( -path $HOME/.cpan -prune \) \
-name '*.pl' \
-type f \
-exec grep ^use {} ';' \
|awk '{print $2}' \
|sed 's/;//g' \
|sort -u \
|grep -v \
-e '#' -e '5.' -e 'v5.10' \
-e ^and \
-e ^Apache \
-e ^base \
-e ^bytes \
-e ^constant \
-e ^experimental \
-e ^feature \
-e ^fields \
-e ^hasn \
-e ^lib \
-e ^open \
-e ^routines. \
-e ^strict \
-e ^subs \
-e ^sysread \
-e ^use \
-e ^vars \
-e ^version \
-e ^warnings \
-e ^when

for example.

I find that having a very hierarchical $HOME directory and forcing
oneself to be consistent in where one puts what, obliviates the need
for large scale file shifting.

I have no objections to Spotlight per se, but I haven't needed it
either.

el

Wolffan

Jul 3, 2021, 8:48:32 AMJul 3
On 2021 Jul 03, Dr Eberhard W Lisse wrote
(in article <ikahsb...@mid.individual.net>):

> Who's Ebie?

that’d be you, Ebie.

Your continual top-posting is one of the marks of the more idiotic trolls.
Your inability to make interesting posts is another. Keep it up and you’ll
be killfiled.

Wolffan

Jul 3, 2021, 8:49:09 AMJul 3
On 2021 Jul 03, Dr Eberhard W Lisse wrote
(in article <ikahrc...@mid.individual.net>):

> I was expecting you to come in with your usual unhelpful comments in
> fecal language.

yep, you’re a troll.

Wolffan

Jul 3, 2021, 8:51:32 AMJul 3
On 2021 Jul 03, Dr Eberhard W Lisse wrote
(in article <ikaj5s...@mid.individual.net>):
going to a lot of trouble writing scripts vs just using the built in search
feature... decisions, decisions.

giving a damn about a troll’s opinions... hmm, nope.

Say bye, Ebie. You’re about to be plonked.

Wolffan

Jul 3, 2021, 9:01:38 AMJul 3
On 2021 Jul 02, Ant wrote
(in article<bZGdnUE8CMjNDkL9...@earthlink.com>):

> In comp.sys.mac.apps Wolffan<akwo...@zoho.com> wrote:
> > On 2021 Jul 01, Ant wrote
> > (in article<XeGdnWshZZWW-kP9...@earthlink.com>):
>
> > > It seems I have to do it monthly
> > > (https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201716) since it is not finding all
> > > matched Office documents in Documents folder. This never happened in
> > > older versions like Mojave v10.14. :(
> > >
> > > Thank you for reading and hopefully answering soon. :)
>
> > I???ve never manually rebuilt the Spotlight index in Big Sur. I last rebuilt
> > the Spotlight index manually five or six years ago. Doing an update install
> > usually rebuilds the Spotlight index automatically on reboot. There is
> > usually no reason to rebuild the index after that.
>
> > Why do you think that you need to rebuild the index? Are you having problems
> > with a search?
>
> Yes, it doesn't see all the thousands of Office files in ~/Documents.
> Rebuilding Spotlight fixes it temporarily. :(

Ah...

1 stick files in subdirectories, not all in one directory.

2 check your system; Spotlight isn’t supposed to lose files unless
there’s a directory problem. Run Disk Utility.

3 create a _full_ backup, using Time Machine or a utility like Carbon Copy
Cloner, or, preferably, _two_ backups, one with Time Machine and one with CCC
or whatever. Compare the backups. If there are differences, you have
significant directory damage. Nuke the volume, do a full restore, using both
backups. You almost certainly have low-level problems on that volume, doing a
full backup (two backups, and check to see if there are differences) a
reformat and restore should fix it. Unless there’s a hardware problem, and
you need a new drive.

Having to rebuild the Spotlight index all the time is not normal. It’s a
sign that your volume has a problem. Fix the problem, not the symptom.

Fishrrman

Jul 3, 2021, 12:14:26 PMJul 3
On 7/1/21 9:08 PM, Ant wrote:
> It seems I have to do it monthly

Answer here: NEVER.
One of the first things I do with all my Macs is to DISABLE
Spotlight and never use it, ever.

I use "EasyFind" and "Find Any File" when I need to "search"
for something...

nospam

Jul 3, 2021, 12:59:24 PMJul 3
In article <ikaht1...@mid.individual.net>, Dr Eberhard W Lisse
<nos...@lisse.NA> wrote:

> And don't insult.

if you're going to ask others to not insult, it's a good idea to not do
so yourself.

In article <ikaii8...@mid.individual.net>, Dr Eberhard W Lisse

nospam

Jul 3, 2021, 12:59:26 PMJul 3
In article <ikaj5s...@mid.individual.net>, Dr Eberhard W Lisse
looks like 'idiot' was actually a compliment.

even an idiot is not stupid enough to think the above is a good idea.

you're also a hypocrite for calling others 'overweight script kiddies'
when you have your own fucked up script, one which a true script kiddie
would laugh at.

> I find that having a very hierarchical $HOME directory and forcing
> oneself to be consistent in where one puts what, obliviates the need
> for large scale file shifting.

what you're doing is not only very slow, highly inefficient and
*extremely* limited, but it's also *lot* of effort to maintain and
fundamentally broken.

the computer is there to do the work for you, not the other way around.

> I have no objections to Spotlight per se, but I haven't needed it
> either.

you obviously do have objections to it along with greatly limiting your
ability to effectively search.

nospam

Jul 3, 2021, 12:59:27 PMJul 3
In article <sbq2cu$ofu$1...@dont-email.me>, Fishrrman
<Fishrr...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> One of the first things I do with all my Macs is to DISABLE
> Spotlight and never use it, ever.

that will break a lot of things.

Dr Eberhard W Lisse

Jul 3, 2021, 3:29:55 PMJul 3
Wolfgang,

my name name is not Ebie.

el

Dr Eberhard W Lisse

Jul 3, 2021, 3:30:36 PMJul 3
Agreed. This is why I don't do it.

el

Dr Eberhard W Lisse

Jul 3, 2021, 3:31:16 PMJul 3
I am so impressed by the wannabe plonkers.

el

Dr Eberhard W Lisse

Jul 3, 2021, 3:41:13 PMJul 3

Aha.

Besides that I did not say either was a good idea, or easy to maintain,
both do the job. The former isn't even my own idea, comes from the
TextMate Support Group, but you of course can easily find the scopenames
of all installed TextMate2 bundles with Spotlight.

And you can easily find in Spotlight the CPAM modules used in all Perl
scripts other then the ones in Library Downloads and the CPAN modules
itself, of course.

It takes no effort whatsoever to maintain, in particular since there is
no need to maintain.

But then why am I explaining myself to children when I could rather
troll them?

el

Dr Eberhard W Lisse

Jul 3, 2021, 3:44:01 PMJul 3
Leave the Applications enabled or you loose the Software Update, unless
this is not a required feature.

el

nospam

Jul 3, 2021, 5:20:04 PMJul 3
In article <ikbsqm...@mid.individual.net>, Dr Eberhard W Lisse
<nos...@lisse.NA> wrote:

> Aha.
>
> Besides that I did not say either was a good idea, or easy to maintain,
> both do the job. The former isn't even my own idea, comes from the
> TextMate Support Group, but you of course can easily find the scopenames
> of all installed TextMate2 bundles with Spotlight.

it doesn't do the job, nor can it. it's fundamentally broken, along
with being slow and inefficient at what little it does do.

the real problem is you have *no* clue as to why that is.

> And you can easily find in Spotlight the CPAM modules used in all Perl
> scripts other then the ones in Library Downloads and the CPAN modules
> itself, of course.
>
> It takes no effort whatsoever to maintain, in particular since there is
> no need to maintain.

it takes quite a bit of effort, by your own admission:
> >> I find that having a very hierarchical $HOME directory and forcing
> >> oneself to be consistent in where one puts what, obliviates the need
> >> for large scale file shifting.

> But then why am I explaining myself to children when I could rather
> troll them?

what were you saying about not insulting?

In article <ikbs6o...@mid.individual.net>, Dr Eberhard W Lisse
<nos...@lisse.NA> wrote:
> On 2021-07-03 18:59 , nospam wrote:
> > In article <ikaht1...@mid.individual.net>, Dr Eberhard W Lisse
> > <nos...@lisse.NA> wrote:
> >> And don't insult.
> >
> > if you're going to ask others to not insult, it's a good idea to not do
> > so yourself.
> >
> Agreed. This is why I don't do it.

top posting fixed.

not only do you continue to insult, but your trolling skills suck and
you are a liar.

nospam

Jul 3, 2021, 5:20:05 PMJul 3
In article <ikbtsm...@mid.individual.net>, TimS
<timst...@greenbee.net> wrote:

> On 03 Jul 2021 at 20:43:57 BST, Dr Eberhard W Lisse <nos...@lisse.NA> wrote:
> > Leave the Applications enabled or you loose the Software Update, unless
> > this is not a required feature.
>
> On whom would he be loosing it?

updates should not be loose. the bits fall out and go everywhere.

Lewis

Jul 3, 2021, 8:40:56 PMJul 3
In message <sbq2cu$ofu$1...@dont-email.me> Fishrrman <Fishrr...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On 7/1/21 9:08 PM, Ant wrote:
>> It seems I have to do it monthly

> Answer here: NEVER.
> One of the first things I do with all my Macs is to DISABLE
> Spotlight and never use it, ever.

Well, that is simply dumb.

> I use "EasyFind" and "Find Any File" when I need to "search"
> for something...

Much much slower and less effective. Orders of magnitude slower.

--
"Master, what is the difference between a humanistic, monastic system
of belief in which wisdom is sought by means of an apparently

Ant

Jul 4, 2021, 4:17:10 AMJul 4
In comp.sys.mac.apps Jolly Roger <jolly...@pobox.com> wrote:
> On 2021-07-03, Wolffan <akwo...@zoho.com> wrote:
> > On 2021 Jul 02, Ant wrote
> > (in article<bZGdnUE8CMjNDkL9...@earthlink.com>):

> >> Yes, it doesn't see all the thousands of Office files in ~/Documents.
> >> Rebuilding Spotlight fixes it temporarily. :(
> >
> > Ah...
> >
> > 1 stick files in subdirectories, not all in one directory.
> >
> > 2 check your system; Spotlight isn???t supposed to lose files unless
> > there???s a directory problem. Run Disk Utility.
> >
> > 3 create a _full_ backup, using Time Machine or a utility like Carbon Copy
> > Cloner, or, preferably, _two_ backups, one with Time Machine and one with CCC
> > or whatever. Compare the backups. If there are differences, you have
> > significant directory damage. Nuke the volume, do a full restore, using both
> > backups. You almost certainly have low-level problems on that volume, doing a
> > full backup (two backups, and check to see if there are differences) a
> > reformat and restore should fix it. Unless there???s a hardware problem, and
> > you need a new drive.
> >
> > Having to rebuild the Spotlight index all the time is not normal. It???s a
> > sign that your volume has a problem. Fix the problem, not the symptom.

> Yep. Something is definitely wrong.

Yeah, I need to figure out what is wrong since it happened again late
last night after reindexing a few days ago. It was not finding all
matched Office documents in Documents folder (almost 1,700 files and 16
GB). 2020 Intel MacBook Pro's Disk Utility app found nothing wrong.
Reboot didn't help. :(

Ant

Jul 4, 2021, 4:18:49 AMJul 4
In comp.sys.mac.apps Jolly Roger <jolly...@pobox.com> wrote:
> On 2021-07-03, Wolffan <akwo...@zoho.com> wrote:
> > On 2021 Jul 02, Ant wrote
> > (in article<bZGdnUE8CMjNDkL9...@earthlink.com>):

> >> Yes, it doesn't see all the thousands of Office files in ~/Documents.
> >> Rebuilding Spotlight fixes it temporarily. :(
> >
> > Ah...
> >
> > 1 stick files in subdirectories, not all in one directory.
> >
> > 2 check your system; Spotlight isn???t supposed to lose files unless
> > there???s a directory problem. Run Disk Utility.
> >
> > 3 create a _full_ backup, using Time Machine or a utility like Carbon Copy
> > Cloner, or, preferably, _two_ backups, one with Time Machine and one with CCC
> > or whatever. Compare the backups. If there are differences, you have
> > significant directory damage. Nuke the volume, do a full restore, using both
> > backups. You almost certainly have low-level problems on that volume, doing a
> > full backup (two backups, and check to see if there are differences) a
> > reformat and restore should fix it. Unless there???s a hardware problem, and
> > you need a new drive.
> >
> > Having to rebuild the Spotlight index all the time is not normal. It???s a
> > sign that your volume has a problem. Fix the problem, not the symptom.

> Yep. Something is definitely wrong.

https://www.reddit.com/r/MacOS/comments/obzjzz/how_often_do_you_rebuild_your_macos_big_sur_v11s/h3r287c/ has the same issue. The user says reboot fixes it, but not for my client and me.

Dr Eberhard W Lisse

Jul 4, 2021, 6:13:55 PMJul 4
Aha.

Another wannabe.

el

Dr Eberhard W Lisse

Jul 4, 2021, 6:15:21 PMJul 4
My understanding is that Sftware Update doesn't work if you
remove Applications from SPolight.

el

On 2021-07-03 21:59 , TimS wrote:
> On 03 Jul 2021 at 20:43:57 BST, Dr Eberhard W Lisse <nos...@lisse.NA> wrote:
>
>> Leave the Applications enabled or you loose the Software Update, unless
>> this is not a required feature.

Alan Baker

Jul 4, 2021, 6:18:37 PMJul 4
On 2021-07-04 3:15 p.m., Dr Eberhard W Lisse wrote:
> My understanding is that Sftware Update doesn't work if you
> remove Applications from SPolight.

Your understanding based on...

...what?

Dr Eberhard Lisse

Jul 5, 2021, 5:00:02 AMJul 5
Having removed Applications from Spotlight.

el
--
To email me replace 'nospam' with 'el'

J Burns

Jul 5, 2021, 4:46:14 PMJul 5
On 7/1/21 9:08 PM, Ant wrote:
> It seems I have to do it monthly
> (https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201716) since it is not finding all
> matched Office documents in Documents folder. This never happened in
> older versions like Mojave v10.14. :(
>
> Thank you for reading and hopefully answering soon. :)

Now that I read your message again, it rings a bell. Years ago, I
started using OpenOffice. The default for text files is .ODT.

I discovered that Spotlight wouldn't always find ODT files whose content
contained the search term. For some reason, if I rebuilt Spotlight, it
would show some of the ODT files with the term.

I used to know how to view the components of an ODT file. I wish I knew
how to do it now. It saves the text as a ZIP file. DOCX also uses ZIP.
Evidently, Spotlight normally ignores ZIP files.

For years, I hoped this would be fixed in an OS update. If Apple hasn't
fixed it, I should.

Will EasyFind search contents of ZIP files? If there's no way to search
them, I need to convert ODT files to another format. What's a good
searchable format for word processor documents?

Alan Baker

Jul 5, 2021, 5:03:55 PMJul 5
'LibreOffice comes with a Spotlight importer in its bundle. You can
confirm this with the following terminal command:

/usr/bin/mdimport -L

, which lists available importers and included in this list should be:

"/Applications/LibreOffice.app/Contents/Library/Spotlight/OOoSpotlightImporter.
mdimporter"'

<https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7484775>

And running "mdimport -L" on my own system shows:

'"/Applications/OpenOffice.app/Contents/Library/Spotlight/OOoSpotlightImporter.mdimporter",

Alan Baker

Jul 5, 2021, 5:07:12 PMJul 5
On 2021-07-05 1:59 a.m., Dr Eberhard Lisse wrote:
> Having removed Applications from Spotlight.

How did you remove Applications from Spotlight...

...and for goodness sake... ...WHY?

Dr Eberhard W Lisse

Jul 5, 2021, 7:05:43 PMJul 5

Klicking it off in System Preferences -> Spotlight -> Search Results

Experimenting.

el

On 2021-07-05 23:07 , Alan Baker wrote:
> On 2021-07-05 1:59 a.m., Dr Eberhard Lisse wrote:
>> Having removed Applications from Spotlight.
>
> How did you remove Applications from Spotlight...
>
> ...and for goodness sake... ...WHY?
[...]

Alan Baker

Jul 5, 2021, 7:07:53 PMJul 5
And did you actually see that it wouldn't find updates...

...or did you just read it on the internet?

Dr Eberhard W Lisse

Jul 5, 2021, 7:26:01 PMJul 5
The words Klicking and Experimenting would imply I actually did that.

A few years (OS versions ago). SInce then I turn everything but Applications
off.

el

Alan Baker

Jul 5, 2021, 8:19:43 PMJul 5
On 2021-07-05 4:25 p.m., Dr Eberhard W Lisse wrote:
> The words Klicking and Experimenting would imply I actually did that.

And the fact that you didn't answer directly would suggest that you didn't.

b...@ripco.com

Jul 6, 2021, 6:01:56 AMJul 6
Alan Baker <notony...@no.no.no.no> wrote:

> And did you actually see that it wouldn't find updates...
>
> ...or did you just read it on the internet?

He's not correct anyways.

I've had everything (yes, everything) deselected in Spotlight for the past
few years and I still get periodic software update notifications.

Turning everything off only disables the command-spacebar search from doing
anything, which is fine because I never found a practical use for that and
really only need to find file names, which still works fine with the finder
search.

-bruce
b...@ripco.com

Dr Eberhard Lisse

Jul 6, 2021, 6:41:03 AMJul 6
OS or Apps?

el

nospam

Jul 6, 2021, 7:24:42 AMJul 6
In article <sc19mh$su7$1...@remote6hme0.ripco.com>, <b...@ripco.com> wrote:

> > And did you actually see that it wouldn't find updates...
> >
> > ...or did you just read it on the internet?
>

> He's not correct anyways.

no surprise there. he's quite clueless.

> I've had everything (yes, everything) deselected in Spotlight for the past
> few years and I still get periodic software update notifications.

that is normal.

disabling spotlight entirely will cause problems.

Dr Eberhard Lisse

Jul 6, 2021, 10:23:46 AMJul 6
Clue thy name is nospam...

el

Dr Eberhard Lisse

Jul 6, 2021, 10:36:28 AMJul 6
From

https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/change-spotlight-preferences-mchlp2811/mac

[...]
Important: If you exclude certain files and folders you may not be
notified when updates become available for some apps. If you
exclude your entire internal disk, you won’t be notified about any
updates.
[...]

b...@ripco.com

Jul 6, 2021, 11:44:16 AMJul 6
Dr Eberhard Lisse <nos...@lisse.na> wrote:

> [...]
> Important: If you exclude certain files and folders you may not be
> notified when updates become available for some apps. If you
> exclude your entire internal disk, you won?t be notified about any
> updates.
> [...]

That isn't the same thing you brought up before...

Klicking it off in System Preferences -> Spotlight -> Search Results

What they are talking about in the above is...

System Preferences -> Spotlight -> Privacy

In my Search Results panel I have everything clicked off. But I do not
exclude the boot drive from the Privacy panel.

Thus to answer the earlier question, I can only vouch for apps, when
there is a new version I get the dot in the App Store icon and a "stuck"
notification in the upper right hand side saying "new versions..blah..blah).

No clue about the OS updates, my daily driver is stuck at High Sierra and I
don't remember if they pushed a notification on something that can't be
updated. I don't think so.

-bruce
b...@ripco.com