iCloud almost full?

Connor Shannon

Aug 3, 2022, 6:11:27 PM8/3/22
Hi. This isn't just about my Mac its also about my iPhone. I got an email from Apple that said I only had 500MB left in my free iCloud account. (So they wanted me to buy more iCloud space.) But when I look at iCloud on my Mac or my iPhone, it says I have over 2GB left. So why did Apple send me an email and do i have to do anything about it?

David Brooks

Aug 3, 2022, 6:42:21 PM8/3/22
On 03/08/2022 23:11, Connor Shannon wrote:
> Hi. This isn't just about my Mac its also about my iPhone. I got an email from Apple that said I only had 500MB left in my free iCloud account. (So they wanted me to buy more iCloud space.) But when I look at iCloud on my Mac or my iPhone, it says I have over 2GB left. So why did Apple send me an email and do i have to do anything about it?

Did you do this?

"On your Mac, choose Apple menu > System Preferences, click Apple ID,
then click iCloud. The bar graph shows your overall storage usage. Click
Manage for more details. On the left, you see a list of apps and
features and how much iCloud storage they use."

--
Kind regards,
David B.

Alan

Aug 3, 2022, 7:39:14 PM8/3/22
On 2022-08-03 15:11, Connor Shannon wrote:
> Hi. This isn't just about my Mac its also about my iPhone. I got an email from Apple that said I only had 500MB left in my free iCloud account. (So they wanted me to buy more iCloud space.) But when I look at iCloud on my Mac or my iPhone, it says I have over 2GB left. So why did Apple send me an email and do i have to do anything about it?

Make sure you're talking about the same AppleID on both devices.

Jolly Roger

Aug 3, 2022, 9:31:54 PM8/3/22
How sure are you that this email message is a legitimate message from
Apple and not a phishing email from a scammer?

Are you sure that the Apple ID mentioned in the message is the same
Apple ID you are signed into on both the Mac and the iPhone?

JR

Connor Shannon

Aug 4, 2022, 1:56:21 AM8/4/22
Oh yes the msg was from Apple:

And the link that said "Upgrade to iCloud+ with 50 GB for $0.99 per month" went right to my system preferences to choose more storage, just like if I'd clicked Add Storage in system preferences.

And yes same Apple ID on my Mac and my iPhone.

DavidB like I said I checked on my Mac AND my iPhone. They both said I have over 2GB left.

David Brooks

Aug 4, 2022, 3:32:00 AM8/4/22
It doesn't seem outrageous. I note that I can have 5GB free of charge,
then £0.79 per month for 50 GB. I actually pay £2.49 per month for 200
GB and I consider that good value for money.

In the whole scheme of things, your 'warning' message, albeit
inaccurate, is probably designed to be helpful so that you don't get
caught out and be unable to save something 'vital'!

You will, of course, make your own decision on how to proceed! :-D

Jolly Roger

Aug 4, 2022, 12:38:48 PM8/4/22
On 2022-08-04, Connor Shannon <cshann...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wednesday, August 3, 2022 at 6:31:54 PM UTC-7, Jolly Roger wrote:
>> On 2022-08-03, Connor Shannon <cshann...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Hi. This isn't just about my Mac its also about my iPhone. I got an
>> > email from Apple that said I only had 500MB left in my free iCloud
>> > account. (So they wanted me to buy more iCloud space.) But when I
>> > look at iCloud on my Mac or my iPhone, it says I have over 2GB
>> > left. So why did Apple send me an email and do i have to do
>> > anything about it?
>> How sure are you that this email message is a legitimate message from
>> Apple and not a phishing email from a scammer?
>>
>> Are you sure that the Apple ID mentioned in the message is the same
>> Apple ID you are signed into on both the Mac and the iPhone?
>
> Oh yes the msg was from Apple: Received: from
> rn2-txn-msbadger06107.apple.com (rn2-txn-msbadger06107.apple.com
> [17.111.110.102])
>
> And the link that said "Upgrade to iCloud+ with 50 GB for $0.99 per
> month" went right to my system preferences to choose more storage,
> just like if I'd clicked Add Storage in system preferences.
>
> And yes same Apple ID on my Mac and my iPhone.
>
> DavidB like I said I checked on my Mac AND my iPhone. They both said I
> have over 2GB left.

Probably just a glitch then. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

If you don't need more storage space, just ignore it.

David Brooks

Aug 4, 2022, 12:49:46 PM8/4/22
I agree.

Connor Shannon

Aug 4, 2022, 2:01:38 PM8/4/22
Okay thanks. Guess I'll get an alarm if things stop uploading.