Greg's Copland special-effects thingie is here

Michael Sattler, San Francisco

Jun 22, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/22/95
...and is wonderful. It's shareware (US$10) named "Aaron" - look for it
at Info-Mac mirrors everywhere. It's just magnificent. The only thing I
can't seem to get to work is the menu-bar clock in the Date & Time: when I
select Espy Sans 10 I get some other font. Sigh.

Michael Sattler <msat...@jungle.com> http://www.jungle.com/msattler/ |
Digital Jungle Consulting Services San Francisco, California |

Coordinator, Haight-Ashbury Neighborhood Emergency Response Team |
Bay to Breakers Red Cross Emergency Medical Technican/Communications |
PADI Divemaster/Rescue Diver * KE6DZF * Bay Area Mountain Rescue Unit |
Macintosh bigot * mostly vegetarian * polyglot * ASL * owned by cat |

Gary L. Gray

Jun 22, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/22/95
In article <msattler-220...@slip1008.sirius.com>,

msat...@jungle.com (Michael Sattler, San Francisco) wrote:

> ...and is wonderful. It's shareware (US$10) named "Aaron" - look for it
> at Info-Mac mirrors everywhere. It's just magnificent. The only thing I
> can't seem to get to work is the menu-bar clock in the Date & Time: when I
> select Espy Sans 10 I get some other font. Sigh.

I agree. It's amazing!!! I went into Greg's Buttons and changed the System
font to Espy Sans Bold 10 and it seems to do the trick for the clock.

Greg comes through again!

Best regards,

/-------------------------------------------------------------\
| Gary L. Gray (814) 863-1778 |
| Assistant Professor fax: (814) 863-7967 |
| Engineering Science & Mechanics glg...@engr.psu.edu |
| Penn State University gl...@psu.edu |
| ftp://coriolis.esm.psu.edu//pub/gray AOL: GLGray |
|-------------------------------------------------------------|
| mechanical systems, nonlinear dynamics and chaos, stability |
\=============================================================/

Kir...@psu.edu

Jun 22, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/22/95
In article <glgesm-2206...@horseshoe.esm.psu.edu>,

glg...@engr.psu.edu (Gary L. Gray) wrote:

> I agree. It's amazing!!! I went into Greg's Buttons and changed the System
> font to Espy Sans Bold 10 and it seems to do the trick for the clock.
>
> Greg comes through again!

Very sharp. No complaints here, although the trash icon did seem to
benefit from a two pixel shift to the right. Any coments on what it might
take to implement the "drawer" feature for shrunken windows?

-K6

Jase Pittman-Wells

Jun 22, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/22/95
Kir...@psu.edu writes:

>Very sharp. No complaints here, although the trash icon did seem to
>benefit from a two pixel shift to the right. Any coments on what it might
>take to implement the "drawer" feature for shrunken windows?

I keep looking at the Trash, and the text below the icon looks
off-center, due to that shadow on the right.

I'm not sure if that's what you were driving at when you say the Trash
icon *did* benefit from a 2-pixel shift. Do you mean there's an update
that fixes this icon??

Jase
--
*** http://www.crl.com/~jase/html/homepage.html *** I
Jase Pittman-Wells * Home of the Army of Lovers Page and the V Page! * M

Marc

Jun 22, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/22/95
In article <msattler-220...@slip1008.sirius.com>,
msat...@jungle.com (Michael Sattler, San Francisco) wrote:

> ...and is wonderful. It's shareware (US$10) named "Aaron" - look for it
> at Info-Mac mirrors everywhere. It's just magnificent. The only thing I
> can't seem to get to work is the menu-bar clock in the Date & Time: when I
> select Espy Sans 10 I get some other font. Sigh.

I got it from:
ftp://ftp-2.amug.org/info-mac/_User_Interface/aaron-10b2.hqx

-----------
Marc R
http://www.iii.net/users/mer/Welcome.html

Robert Cassidy

Jun 23, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/23/95

> In article <msattler-220...@slip1008.sirius.com>,
> msat...@jungle.com (Michael Sattler, San Francisco) wrote:
>
> > ...and is wonderful. It's shareware (US$10) named "Aaron" - look for it
> > at Info-Mac mirrors everywhere. It's just magnificent. The only thing I
> > can't seem to get to work is the menu-bar clock in the Date & Time: when I
> > select Espy Sans 10 I get some other font. Sigh.
> >

> I agree. It's amazing!!! I went into Greg's Buttons and changed the System
> font to Espy Sans Bold 10 and it seems to do the trick for the clock.
>
> Greg comes through again!
>

> Best regards,

A comment...

The small icons used for the folders didn't strike me. The little tab on
the top looks square, not rounded. Sombody released a set of folder icons
on the net that have a very nicely rounded tab. I've replaced mine but I
wonder what everyone elses opinions are.

--
Bob Cassidy
UC Irvine

BLAM DSGN

Jun 23, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/23/95
Great work on the Copland extension. I did however find one somewhat major
conflict, the radio buttons & check boxes conflict with Quark XPress 3.31
for 68k macs but not for Powermacs. Instead of drawing buttons, it draws
only a black diamond. Aside from this, the extension is wonderful.

Kir...@psu.edu

Jun 23, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/23/95
In article <rmcassid-230...@dante.eng.uci.edu>, rmca...@uci.edu
(Robert Cassidy) wrote:

> A comment...
>
> The small icons used for the folders didn't strike me. The little tab on
> the top looks square, not rounded. Sombody released a set of folder icons
> on the net that have a very nicely rounded tab. I've replaced mine but I
> wonder what everyone elses opinions are.

Are we talking about the ics8's here? If so, I'd like to compare. Any
chance that the set you substituted has a name?

-K6

Allen G. Newman

Jun 23, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/23/95
In article <3sdbmb$o...@rjo02.embratel.net.br>, Christiano Vilhena
<cvil...@embratel.net.br> wrote:

>Does anybody here knows how to activate the "window drawer" function
>on Aaron?

Use ResEdit to replace the WDEF resource of Aaron with the WDEF resource
of Copland WDEF 1.0b13. It works perfectly as far I can tell.
_
----------------------- | | | | _ | | ---------------------
Allen G. Newman |_| | | |_ |\| PGP Public Key
ane...@charlie.usd.edu | | |_ |_ |_ | | available on request.

Kir...@psu.edu

Jun 23, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/23/95
In article <3sd2vf$l...@crl10.crl.com>, ja...@crl.com (Jase Pittman-Wells) wrote:

> Kir...@psu.edu writes:
>
> >Very sharp. No complaints here, although the trash icon did seem to

> >benefit from a two pixel shift to the right. Any comments on what it might

> >take to implement the "drawer" feature for shrunken windows?
>
> I keep looking at the Trash, and the text below the icon looks
> off-center, due to that shadow on the right.
>
> I'm not sure if that's what you were driving at when you say the Trash
> icon *did* benefit from a 2-pixel shift. Do you mean there's an update
> that fixes this icon??

This may not be a problem for most people. But with the low shadow
contrast of the grey "slate" desktop I use, the can appeared off-center
and was constantly catching my eye.

I meant that I changed the icon myself and felt that it looked better
*after* I had done so. Thus the *did*.

If you find the current icon distracting, you can easily change its
positioning with ResEdit.

Mail if you need more details.

Regards,
-K6

Christiano Vilhena

Jun 23, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/23/95
Does anybody here knows how to activate the "window drawer" function
on Aaron?

[ ]s

Christiano

cvil...@embatel.net.br

Robert Cassidy

Jun 23, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/23/95

Yeah, I'll try and look it up and post on Monday. There are about 8 sets
and I think only one had the nice ics8's. I'll get back to ya on that one.

Allen G. Newman

Jun 23, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/23/95
In article <3sd2vf$l...@crl10.crl.com>, ja...@crl.com (Jase Pittman-Wells) wrote:

>Kir...@psu.edu writes:
>
>>Very sharp. No complaints here, although the trash icon did seem to

>>benefit from a two pixel shift to the right. Any coments on what it might

>>take to implement the "drawer" feature for shrunken windows?

Use ResEdit to replace Aaron's WDEF resource with the WDEF resource from
Copland WDEF 1.0d13.

>I keep looking at the Trash, and the text below the icon looks
>off-center, due to that shadow on the right.
>
>I'm not sure if that's what you were driving at when you say the Trash
>icon *did* benefit from a 2-pixel shift. Do you mean there's an update
>that fixes this icon??

You can edit or replace the icons with whatever you want in ResEdit.

Aaron 1.0b2's Trash icon is not "authentic" -- look at the "full trash"
icon and note that the handle on the lid does not match the published
Copland screen shots, and that the shading gradation in both is a bit more
choppy.

I sent Greg my Trash icons that I made from the Macworld
captured-from-screen-shot Trash icons on AOL. He thanked me for them so
maybe they'll show up in the next version when he fixes the bug that
causes pushbuttons to turn into horizontal sliders(!) in Open/preview
dialogs.

Wyo Bopper

Jun 24, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/24/95
I'm very impressed with Aaron. Good job Greg!

I have two suggestions that I would like to see included in future
versions if possible.

First, I think that the close and zoom box buttons should be 3D when you
push them. They should "push in" like the other buttons.

Second, I would like to see the 3D progress bars previewed in the Mac
magazines added.

I don't know how hard adding these will be or if it is technically
possible, but I think it would complete the "Copland 7.5" effect nicely.
Roland E. Miller, III
Mechanical Engineer

Jase Pittman-Wells

Jun 24, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/24/95

I'm trying Aaron out, and when using ZTerm 1.0b3, clicking on
the scroller acts like I'm really clicking in the gray scrollbar
areas.. Anybody else have this problem?

Michael Russell Dong

Jun 24, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/24/95
In article <3sipql$d...@crl3.crl.com>, Jase Pittman-Wells <ja...@crl.com> wrote:

>I'm trying Aaron out, and when using ZTerm 1.0b3, clicking on
>the scroller acts like I'm really clicking in the gray scrollbar
>areas.. Anybody else have this problem?

I have this problem too. I also ran into an incompatibility with the
Scrolling Control Panel from Apple (Aaron doesn't work when it's loaded).

The scrolling control panel, btw, lets you control the throttle and
live scroll features of a scrollable window.

--
| Michael R. Dong / md...@galaxy.csc.calpoly.edu
| California Polytechnic \ md...@trumpet.aix.calpoly.edu
| San Luis Obispo, CA / http://www.csc.calpoly.edu/~mdong

Iain Anderson

Jun 25, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/25/95
rmca...@uci.edu (Robert Cassidy) writes:

<cuts>

] A comment...
]
] The small icons used for the folders didn't strike me. The little tab on

] the top looks square, not rounded. Sombody released a set of folder icons
] on the net that have a very nicely rounded tab. I've replaced mine but I
] wonder what everyone elses opinions are.

]

I don't like the new Copland icons much (large or small), they're a bit
"chunky" if you know what I mean. The Appearance Manager, when it arrives,
should be flexible, so we won't have to put up with anything we don't like
in the (superficial) interface. Hopefully, it'll have the power of Aurora/
MacMakeover, Greg's Buttons, Church Windows, and some "Church Controls"
equivalent.

BTW, you might like (ahem) /gui/grf/manilla-folder-icons.hqx on Info-Mac. :)

Best of luck,
Iain.

--
..............C..s..O..u..N..b..F..v..O..e..R..r..M..t..............
What does your nose smell like? Hold at arm's length and test again.

John Hirsch

Jun 25, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/25/95
I seem to have some unusual problems with Aaron, at least nobody has
mentioned them yet...

When used in conjunction with Greg's Buttons (3.7.1), I'm getting random
2-D buttons in dialogs that used to have 3-D buttons. But it comes and
goes - one time I'll bring up the dialog and they're 2-D, the next time
they're 3-D. Or some are 2-D and some are 3-D. Very weird. In all cases,
the 3-D buttons do look like the Greg's Buttons 3-D, not the Aaron 3-D.

So, I tried taking Greg's Buttons out, but then my System font won't
change to Espi Sans Bold 10. It stays as Chicago. I even removed all my
extensions and the result was the same. It wouldn't substitute my font.
Also, it looks like Aaron is supposed to update the icon for the System
File suitcase, but mine looks like the same old suitcase. The other icons
work great, though.

Just thought I'd mention it, in case someone else is also experiencing
this behavior. I think the extension's great!! Love those scroll bars, and
the WDEF is much more stable on my machine than the Copland WDEF beta. :-)

--
John....@mixcom.com

Hi there.

Allen G. Newman

Jun 25, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/25/95
(Robert Cassidy) wrote:

>In article <Kirby6-2306...@tsppp44.cac.psu.edu>, Kir...@psu.edu wrote:
>
>> In article <rmcassid-230...@dante.eng.uci.edu>, rmca...@uci.edu
>> (Robert Cassidy) wrote:
>

>> > The small icons used for the folders didn't strike me. The little tab on
>> > the top looks square, not rounded. Sombody released a set of folder icons
>> > on the net that have a very nicely rounded tab. I've replaced mine but I
>> > wonder what everyone elses opinions are.

To me, it looks like Aaron's folder icons are a perfect match to what's
shown in the Copland screen shots (I have gifs from MacUser to compare
with), so I'm not sure what your preference is.

Jason C. Charnick

Jun 25, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/25/95
In article <3sir4s$2...@phoenix.csc.calpoly.edu>,

md...@phoenix.csc.calpoly.edu (Michael Russell Dong) wrote:

> In article <3sipql$d...@crl3.crl.com>, Jase Pittman-Wells <ja...@crl.com> wrote:
> >
> >I'm trying Aaron out, and when using ZTerm 1.0b3, clicking on
> >the scroller acts like I'm really clicking in the gray scrollbar
> >areas.. Anybody else have this problem?
> >

> I have this problem too. I also ran into an incompatibility with the
> Scrolling Control Panel from Apple (Aaron doesn't work when it's loaded).
>
> The scrolling control panel, btw, lets you control the throttle and
> live scroll features of a scrollable window.

Where can you get a hold of this scrolling control panel? I'd love to have
live scrolling features, a la ZTerm 1.0b3, and X-Windows.

Jason

--
Jason Charnick
c/o Boston University

Any opinions contained here within are subject to the ownership of Major League Baseball. Any rebroadcast, reproduction, or retransmission of the these opinions without the express written consent of Major League Baseball or its subsidiaries is strictly prohibited. Or something like that.

Jonathan D. Gift

Jun 25, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/25/95
In article <3sir4s$2...@phoenix.csc.calpoly.edu>,
md...@phoenix.csc.calpoly.edu (Michael Russell Dong) wrote:

> I have this problem too. I also ran into an incompatibility with the
> Scrolling Control Panel from Apple (Aaron doesn't work when it's loaded).

Can I ftp this from Apple? If so, do you have a dir/file name?
Thanks.

jg...@primenet.com

"Hey, I think I've finally got the hang of i-"

Matthew Kapus

Jun 25, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/25/95
jg...@primenet.com (Jonathan D. Gift) wrote

>In article <3sir4s$2...@phoenix.csc.calpoly.edu>,
>md...@phoenix.csc.calpoly.edu (Michael Russell Dong) wrote:
>
>> I have this problem too. I also ran into an incompatibility with the
>> Scrolling Control Panel from Apple (Aaron doesn't work when it's loaded).
>
>Can I ftp this from Apple? If so, do you have a dir/file name?
>Thanks.
>
> jg...@primenet.com

It's written by Ken McLeod of the Support Tools Development Group at
Apple, but is unsupported by Apple.
You can get it at:
http://hyperarchive.lcs.mit.edu/HyperArchive/Archive/gui/scrolling.hqx

mka...@u.washington.edu
http://alfred1.u.washington.edu:8080/~mkapus

David Lewis

Jun 25, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/25/95
Regarding the folder icons... these look much better than the blue ones...

<ftp://ftp.ucs.ubc.ca//pub/mac/info-mac/gui/grf/
silver-copland-icons.hqx>

Mike Schwartz

Jun 25, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/25/95
In article <charnick-250...@ppp-83-15.bu.edu>,
char...@acs.bu.edu (Jason C. Charnick) wrote:

->Where can you get a hold of this scrolling control panel? I'd love to have
->live scrolling features, a la ZTerm 1.0b3, and X-Windows.

You can probably find it on Info-Mac or Umich. Easier way to find it is
just to use HyperArchive to search it.

--
Michael Schwartz
ru...@wimsey.com

"In cyberspace, nobody knows you're canadian, eh?"
---------
Microsoft Network is prohibited from redistributing this work in any form, in whole or in part. Copyright (c), Michael Schwartz, 1995.
License to distribute this post is available to Microsoft for $1000. Posting without permission constitutes an agreement to these terms. Please send notices of violation to Postm...@microsoft.com and ru...@wimsey.com.
Portions of this .sig licencsed from Joe Ragosta (doc...@interramp.com)

Peter Moller

Jun 26, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/26/95
One question: Isn't the window border just toooo wide? I find that a major
problem. Anyone else?

(Apart from that: great work!)

Peter....@dna.lth.se, System Wet-Nurse @ DNA & LUDAT
Department of Computer Science, Lund Institute of Technology
Box 118, S-221 00 LUND, Sweden, tfn +46 -46 10 41 56, fax +46 -46 13 10 21

Gregory D. Landweber

Jun 26, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/26/95
In article <msattler-220...@slip1008.sirius.com>,
msat...@jungle.com (Michael Sattler, San Francisco) wrote:

> ...and is wonderful. It's shareware (US$10) named "Aaron" - look for it
> at Info-Mac mirrors everywhere. It's just magnificent. The only thing I
> can't seem to get to work is the menu-bar clock in the Date & Time: when I
> select Espy Sans 10 I get some other font. Sigh.

The system font I use is Espy Sans BOLD 10. Just set the menu-bar clock
font to Chicago 12 and Aaron will do the rest.

-- Greg Landweber
gr...@math.harvard.edu
(author of "Greg's Buttons" and "Greg's Browser")

Gregory D. Landweber

Jun 26, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/26/95

> In article <glgesm-2206...@horseshoe.esm.psu.edu>,
> glg...@engr.psu.edu (Gary L. Gray) wrote:
>

> Very sharp. No complaints here, although the trash icon did seem to
> benefit from a two pixel shift to the right. Any coments on what it might
> take to implement the "drawer" feature for shrunken windows?

We're redoing the trash icon slightly, although I still find it unsatisfying.

If you mean the Drawer feature from the Copland WDEF, that wouldn't be too
hard to implement. However, that isn't what Copland really does. First of
all, the widget in the menu bar is really a WindowShade toggle that rolls up
the window to its title bar. We'll be implementing that in the next version.

As for the real drawers, they appear whenever you drag the window to the
bottom of the screen. The window lives just below the screen, and when
you click the tab, the window slides up to become visible. Clicking the
tab again drops the window back down. This is much harder to implement,
but we're working on it. I know at least one other person who is working
on such a hack, too.

-- Greg Landweber
gr...@math.harvard.edu
(author of Greg's Buttons, Greg's Browser, and Aaron)

Gregory D. Landweber

Jun 26, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/26/95
<cvil...@embratel.net.br> wrote:

> Does anybody here knows how to activate the "window drawer" function
> on Aaron?

Aaron doesn't have that feature...yet.

BTW, please note that Aaron is $10 shareware. Read the docs for more info.

Gregory D. Landweber

Jun 26, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/26/95
(Robert Cassidy) wrote:

> The small icons used for the folders didn't strike me. The little tab on
> the top looks square, not rounded. Sombody released a set of folder icons
> on the net that have a very nicely rounded tab. I've replaced mine but I
> wonder what everyone elses opinions are.

The small icons in Aaron exactly match those in the Copland screen shots
on the MacUser web page.

Gregory D. Landweber

Jun 26, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/26/95
In article <3seq8d$1...@newsbf02.news.aol.com>, blam...@aol.com (BLAM
DSGN) wrote:

That will be fixed in the next version.

Gregory D. Landweber

Jun 26, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/26/95
In article <3shndn$n...@newsbf02.news.aol.com>, wyob...@aol.com (Wyo
Bopper) wrote:

> First, I think that the close and zoom box buttons should be 3D when you
> push them. They should "push in" like the other buttons.

We tried that, but we didn't think it looked good. The problem is that the
icons are very small and have a lot of detail. A full pixel shift is too
much in this case.

On the other hand, the title bar widgets are just resources, so you can try
editing them with ResEdit. If you come up with something that you think looks
good, send me a copy!

> Second, I would like to see the 3D progress bars previewed in the Mac
> magazines added.

There aren't any system progress bar routines to patch; each application does
its progress bars separately. Still, I am thinking of patching at least the
Finder to do Copland-style progress bars.

Gregory D. Landweber

Jun 26, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/26/95
In article <john.hirsch-25...@wwvvww.mixcom.com>,
john....@mixcom.com (John Hirsch) wrote:

> When used in conjunction with Greg's Buttons (3.7.1), I'm getting random
> 2-D buttons in dialogs that used to have 3-D buttons. But it comes and
> goes - one time I'll bring up the dialog and they're 2-D, the next time
> they're 3-D. Or some are 2-D and some are 3-D. Very weird. In all cases,
> the 3-D buttons do look like the Greg's Buttons 3-D, not the Aaron 3-D.
>
> So, I tried taking Greg's Buttons out, but then my System font won't
> change to Espi Sans Bold 10. It stays as Chicago. I even removed all my
> extensions and the result was the same. It wouldn't substitute my font.
> Also, it looks like Aaron is supposed to update the icon for the System
> File suitcase, but mine looks like the same old suitcase. The other icons
> work great, though.

Both of these bugs should be fixed in the next version. Please let me know
if they persist.

UASTUREP

Jun 26, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/26/95
The Drawer function's true usefulness is that fact that the drawers
can be opened from within applications without returning to the Finder
(i.e. the menus stay the same,etc.) That would approximate it to be
closer to a clipping file where you can grab the file and drag and drop as
opposed to the simple "minimizing" function of Windowshade. With the
return to the Finder, the drawers would lose their real usefulness. For
more info see the October 3rd,1994 issue of MacWeek. That REAL drawer
function will be in Copland.

Gregory D. Landweber

Jun 26, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/26/95
In article <peterm.804154997@adils>, pet...@dna.lth.se (Peter Moller) wrote:

> One question: Isn't the window border just toooo wide? I find that a major
> problem. Anyone else?

It is the same size as in all the Copland screen shots.

Tim Streater

Jun 26, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/26/95
In article <greg-26069...@glandweb.student.harvard.edu>,

gr...@math.harvard.edu (Gregory D. Landweber) wrote:

>In article <peterm.804154997@adils>, pet...@dna.lth.se (Peter Moller) wrote:
>
>> One question: Isn't the window border just toooo wide? I find that a major
>> problem. Anyone else?
>
>It is the same size as in all the Copland screen shots.

Hmmm. I tried Aaron today (1.0b2). I am not that convinced.

1) The borders *are* too wide. It would be nice to be able to adjust them
(this was one of my beefs with Motif. Others are too numerous to mention,
but the fact that the only way in Motif to adjust stuff like that was by
editing some crappy and obscure file called .Xsettings or whatever was a
major one). Adjustments should be done via a CP. How about building it
into Buttons?

2) The 3-D effect fails under the menubar clock. I use Times/18pt here and
don't intend to change (I have a feeling this was addressed in earlier
posts but missed them, sorry).

3) The 3D effect in windows. The problem here is not only the extra
real-estate taken up by the border, but the fact that, overall, it looks
funny because you have this 3D window with 2D contents. The 7.0 windows
are 3D-ish anyway, but without the fat border.

4) The Epsi bold font is nice, I use it with GB at the moment.

5) The icons are a bit naff. They look too Windows/Openlook-ish for my
taste. And if you have a folder icon which is special (e.g. those from 4D)
they look like the old ones.

6) I did have a crash/hang, although that may have been the Launcher. I
tried to move the Launcher on my 2nd screen (Q610 with Radius card) and
someone must have rung ALL STOP down to the engine room.

I should point out that, although I will exercise my free will and not use
Aaron, I do appreciate Greg's having created it, if it allows us to see
what the future looks like. So far I don't like it particularly.

--
Tim.

MegaWatt

Jun 26, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/26/95
In article <t.c.streater-2...@mac-tim.dante.org.uk>,
t.c.st...@dante.org.uk (Tim Streater) wrote:

>Hmmm. I tried Aaron today (1.0b2). I am not that convinced.
>
>1) The borders *are* too wide. It would be nice to be able to adjust them
>(this was one of my beefs with Motif. Others are too numerous to mention,
>but the fact that the only way in Motif to adjust stuff like that was by
>editing some crappy and obscure file called .Xsettings or whatever was a
>major one). Adjustments should be done via a CP. How about building it
>into Buttons?

You have to understand that the window can be dragged by the frame. To
make the frame smaller would defeat this purpose.

I haven't seen the rest, so I cannot comment.

MegaWatt |
| _____ _____ _____ _ _
- AKA - | |__ / | ___ || ___ \ | | | |
| / / | |_| || |_/ / | | | |
Aaron L. Bratcher | / /__ | ___ || __/ |_| |_|
University of Chicago | |_____||_| |_||_| (_) (_)
mega...@noproblem.uchicago.edu |

Gary L. Gray

Jun 26, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/26/95

> I seem to have some unusual problems with Aaron, at least nobody has
> mentioned them yet...
>

> When used in conjunction with Greg's Buttons (3.7.1), I'm getting random
> 2-D buttons in dialogs that used to have 3-D buttons. But it comes and
> goes - one time I'll bring up the dialog and they're 2-D, the next time
> they're 3-D. Or some are 2-D and some are 3-D. Very weird. In all cases,
> the 3-D buttons do look like the Greg's Buttons 3-D, not the Aaron 3-D.
>
> So, I tried taking Greg's Buttons out, but then my System font won't
> change to Espi Sans Bold 10. It stays as Chicago. I even removed all my
> extensions and the result was the same. It wouldn't substitute my font.
> Also, it looks like Aaron is supposed to update the icon for the System
> File suitcase, but mine looks like the same old suitcase. The other icons
> work great, though.
>

> Just thought I'd mention it, in case someone else is also experiencing
> this behavior. I think the extension's great!! Love those scroll bars, and
> the WDEF is much more stable on my machine than the Copland WDEF beta. :-)

Exactly the same things have been happening to me. I have also noticed the
intermittent 2D buttons. In addition, I found the only way to get Espy as
my System font was to use Greg's Buttons to do it.

Best regards,

/-------------------------------------------------------------\
| Gary L. Gray (814) 863-1778 |
| Assistant Professor fax: (814) 863-7967 |
| Engineering Science & Mechanics glg...@engr.psu.edu |
| Penn State University gl...@psu.edu |
| ftp://coriolis.esm.psu.edu//pub/gray AOL: GLGray |
|-------------------------------------------------------------|
| mechanical systems, nonlinear dynamics and chaos, stability |
\=============================================================/

Sam Huffman

Jun 26, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/26/95
In article <ZBIR.95Ju...@nickel.ucs.indiana.edu>,
zb...@nickel.ucs.indiana.edu (zachery joseph bir) wrote:

> Gregory> In article <3sdbmb$o...@rjo02.embratel.net.br>, Christiano

> Gregory> Vilhena <cvil...@embratel.net.br> wrote:
>
> >> Does anybody here knows how to activate the "window drawer"
> >> function on Aaron?
>

> Gregory> Aaron doesn't have that feature...yet.
>
> Greg,
>
> Please don't hate me for this, and I _will_ register, but I found an
> easy way to "hack" aaron to give the drawer effect. Open up a copy of
> the Copland WDEF floating around amug (the latest version is
> preferable) with ResEdit, and copy out the entire 'wdef' resource, and
> paste it into aaron. It maintains everything else, and gives the click
> on the button to "drawerize" the open window.
>
> So far (three days now of intensive use), it's stable, so you may want
> to try it out yourself...
>
> Expect that check, Greg, you've done some really cool things...
>
> Zac
>
> Gregory> BTW, please note that Aaron is $10 shareware. Read the
> Gregory> docs for more info.
>
> Gregory> -- Greg Landweber gr...@math.harvard.edu (author of Greg's
> Gregory> Buttons, Greg's Browser, and Aaron)
> --
> Zachery J. Bir - zb...@indiana.edu
> Mac Specialist - ACCESS MicroCenter / Consultant - UCSPCC GraphixZone
> work: (812) 855-0910 / (812) 855-1854 - home: (812) 336-3066
> http://nickel.ucs.indiana.edu/~zbir/

My understanding is that the Copland WDEF does some really skanky things
to get the drawer effect, and therefore it causes some significant
problems with a few very common applications. I believe the author of the
WDEF himself suggested that people stay away from the drawer "feature". He
left it in the current release after an earlier beta with the feature was
leaked out...

Sam Huffman

Randy Stokes

Jun 26, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/26/95
I may have found another bug/conflict: When Aaron is loaded on my Centris
610 running System 7.5, it seems the Open File dialog box in JPEGView 3.2
is screwed up; the normal buttons for Open, Cancel, etc. on the right side
of the box aren't obscured by what appear to be slider type controls.
Clicking in that area, or trying to manipulate the sliders, produces no
results. Double clicking on the name of a file in the window seems to
work fine, however.

Randy Stokes
rst...@indirect.com

In article <greg-26069...@glandweb.student.harvard.edu>,
gr...@math.harvard.edu (Gregory D. Landweber) wrote:

> -- Greg Landweber
> gr...@math.harvard.edu
> (author of Greg's Buttons, Greg's Browser, and Aaron)

Randy Stokes
rst...@indirect.com

zachery joseph bir

Jun 26, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/26/95

ar...@tiac.net

Jun 26, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/26/95
In article <megawatt-260...@fpm-mac-17.uchicago.edu>,
mega...@noproblem.uchicago.edu (MegaWatt) wrote:

: In article <t.c.streater-2...@mac-tim.dante.org.uk>,

: t.c.st...@dante.org.uk (Tim Streater) wrote:
:
: >Hmmm. I tried Aaron today (1.0b2). I am not that convinced.
: >
: >1) The borders *are* too wide. It would be nice to be able to adjust them
: >(this was one of my beefs with Motif. Others are too numerous to mention,
: >but the fact that the only way in Motif to adjust stuff like that was by
: >editing some crappy and obscure file called .Xsettings or whatever was a
: >major one). Adjustments should be done via a CP. How about building it
: >into Buttons?
:
: You have to understand that the window can be dragged by the frame. To
: make the frame smaller would defeat this purpose.
:

I would rather have the option to *resize* the window by dragging the
frame (a la Windoze). Any chance of seeing this option in future releases?

--Art

--
Boston Ska home page
http://www.tiac.net/users/artc

Jase Pittman-Wells

Jun 26, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/26/95
rst...@indirect.com (Randy Stokes) writes:
>I may have found another bug/conflict: When Aaron is loaded on my Centris
>610 running System 7.5, it seems the Open File dialog box in JPEGView 3.2
>is screwed up; the normal buttons for Open, Cancel, etc. on the right side
>of the box aren't obscured by what appear to be slider type controls.
>Clicking in that area, or trying to manipulate the sliders, produces no
>results. Double clicking on the name of a file in the window seems to
>work fine, however.

That happens on my System 7.5 IIsi, also. Sometimes those slider
controls appear, then sometimes the normal 2-D buttons appear.

Jase
--
*** http://www.crl.com/~jase/html/homepage.html *** I
Jase Pittman-Wells * Home of the Army of Lovers Page and the V Page! * M
ja...@crl.com * * 1
*** Visit the expanded and updated V Home Page! *** 2

Gregory D. Landweber

Jun 26, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/26/95
In article <glgesm-2606...@horseshoe.esm.psu.edu>,

glg...@engr.psu.edu (Gary L. Gray) wrote:

> In article <john.hirsch-25...@wwvvww.mixcom.com>,
> john....@mixcom.com (John Hirsch) wrote:
>
> > When used in conjunction with Greg's Buttons (3.7.1), I'm getting random
> > 2-D buttons in dialogs that used to have 3-D buttons. But it comes and
> > goes - one time I'll bring up the dialog and they're 2-D, the next time
> > they're 3-D. Or some are 2-D and some are 3-D. Very weird. In all cases,
> > the 3-D buttons do look like the Greg's Buttons 3-D, not the Aaron 3-D.
> >
> > So, I tried taking Greg's Buttons out, but then my System font won't
> > change to Espi Sans Bold 10. It stays as Chicago. I even removed all my
> > extensions and the result was the same. It wouldn't substitute my font.
> > Also, it looks like Aaron is supposed to update the icon for the System
> > File suitcase, but mine looks like the same old suitcase. The other icons
> > work great, though.
> >
> > Just thought I'd mention it, in case someone else is also experiencing
> > this behavior. I think the extension's great!! Love those scroll bars, and
> > the WDEF is much more stable on my machine than the Copland WDEF beta. :-)
> >

> Exactly the same things have been happening to me. I have also noticed the
> intermittent 2D buttons. In addition, I found the only way to get Espy as
> my System font was to use Greg's Buttons to do it.

Both of these bugs will be fixed in 1.0b4 (due out tomorrow).

-- Greg Landweber
gr...@math.harvard.edu
(author of Greg's Buttons, Greg's Browser, and Aaron)

Gregory D. Landweber

Jun 26, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/26/95
In article <rstokes-2606...@s54.phxslip4.indirect.com>,
rst...@indirect.com (Randy Stokes) wrote:

> I may have found another bug/conflict: When Aaron is loaded on my Centris
> 610 running System 7.5, it seems the Open File dialog box in JPEGView 3.2
> is screwed up; the normal buttons for Open, Cancel, etc. on the right side
> of the box aren't obscured by what appear to be slider type controls.
> Clicking in that area, or trying to manipulate the sliders, produces no
> results. Double clicking on the name of a file in the window seems to
> work fine, however.

This will be fixed in 1.0b4.

Steve Muncy

Jun 26, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/26/95
In article <3sngin$4...@crl10.crl.com>, ja...@crl.com (Jase Pittman-Wells) wrote:

>rst...@indirect.com (Randy Stokes) writes:
>>I may have found another bug/conflict: When Aaron is loaded on my Centris
>>610 running System 7.5, it seems the Open File dialog box in JPEGView 3.2
>>is screwed up; the normal buttons for Open, Cancel, etc. on the right side
>>of the box aren't obscured by what appear to be slider type controls.
>>Clicking in that area, or trying to manipulate the sliders, produces no
>>results. Double clicking on the name of a file in the window seems to
>>work fine, however.
>

>That happens on my System 7.5 IIsi, also. Sometimes those slider
>controls appear, then sometimes the normal 2-D buttons appear.

I have also noticed the same thing on my IIvx with both SimpleText and
ClarisWorks 4.0 (using sys 7.5.1).

------------------------------------
Steve A. Muncy
Dallas, Texas
smu...@onramp.net
http://rampages.onramp.net/~smuncy/sam.html

Steven M. Blacher

Jun 26, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/26/95

> I may have found another bug/conflict: When Aaron is loaded on my Centris
> 610 running System 7.5, it seems the Open File dialog box in JPEGView 3.2
> is screwed up; the normal buttons for Open, Cancel, etc. on the right side
> of the box aren't obscured by what appear to be slider type controls.
> Clicking in that area, or trying to manipulate the sliders, produces no
> results. Double clicking on the name of a file in the window seems to
> work fine, however.

Yes, I've had the same conflict with JPEGView (and the same problem with
the Open Directory Dialog Box has also shown up in Clarisworks). However,
I wrote to Greg about it, who wrote back that he knows of this bug, and
is working on a fix for the next release of Aaron.

Steven

Steven M. Blacher / Wellfleet Productions
13910 Old Harbor Lane, Suite 209
Marina Del Rey, California 90292
Tel: 310.821.8867 Fax: 310.827.7878
Email: sb...@primenet.com

onseteng

Jun 26, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/26/95
I realize that it is only trying to duplicate the screenshots, but
I for one would be willing to give up exact duplication for
non-confliction (if that's a word).

-onseteng.

Gregory D. Landweber

Jun 27, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/27/95
In article <sbwp-26069...@ip210.lax.primenet.com>,

sb...@primenet.com (Steven M. Blacher) wrote:

> Yes, I've had the same conflict with JPEGView (and the same problem with
> the Open Directory Dialog Box has also shown up in Clarisworks). However,
> I wrote to Greg about it, who wrote back that he knows of this bug, and
> is working on a fix for the next release of Aaron.

I just send Aaron 1.0b4 to macgifts last night, so it should appear on the
internet archives any day now.

Daniel Ebneter

Jun 27, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/27/95

> I may have found another bug/conflict: When Aaron is loaded on my Centris
> 610 running System 7.5, it seems the Open File dialog box in JPEGView 3.2
> is screwed up; the normal buttons for Open, Cancel, etc. on the right side
> of the box aren't obscured by what appear to be slider type controls.
> Clicking in that area, or trying to manipulate the sliders, produces no
> results. Double clicking on the name of a file in the window seems to
> work fine, however.

I experienced the same while experimenting with Quicktime, MIDI Manager
and the QT Musical Instruments (just Symbionts loaded, no Aaron).
So maybe QT is to blame ... JPEGView can make use of it,I think.
Does the problem disappear without Aaron?

Daniel

--
Daniel Ebneter University of Bern,Switzerland
ebn...@iap.unibe.ch Institute of Applied Physics

K.G. Spence

Jun 27, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/27/95
Both the new WDEF extensions are extremely well done, and obviously involved a lot of hard work.
Copland WDEF 13 *seems* to redraw quicker than Aaron, and is now absoloutely stable (at least
on my 68K) Does anyone know if there will be a release implementing the "hi-tech" option also
featured in MacWorld, or a ChurchWindows plug-in to accomplish the same task? The screen
shots looked really interesting.

Christopher J Stone

Jun 27, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/27/95
Excerpts from netnews.comp.sys.mac.system: 26-Jun-95 Re: Greg's Copland
special-.. by zachery joseph bir@nicke

> Gregory> In article <3sdbmb$o...@rjo02.embratel.net.br>, Christiano
> Gregory> Vilhena <cvil...@embratel.net.br> wrote:
>
> >> Does anybody here knows how to activate the "window drawer"
> >> function on Aaron?
>
> Gregory> Aaron doesn't have that feature...yet.
>
> Greg,
>
> Please don't hate me for this, and I _will_ register, but I found an
> easy way to "hack" aaron to give the drawer effect. Open up a copy of
> the Copland WDEF floating around amug (the latest version is
> preferable) with ResEdit, and copy out the entire 'wdef' resource, and
> paste it into aaron. It maintains everything else, and gives the click
> on the button to "drawerize" the open window.

You don't understand that the drawerize feature found in Copland WDEF
doesn't work exactly the way it will in copland. And it also has a few
bugs in it. Greg will probably try to implement it properly if he puts
that feature in a new version.

-----------
Chris Stone
cjs...@CMU.EDU
Please try these sites and give me feedback.
http://cayman.hss.cmu.edu/BH239/staff/Stone/HTML/Stonepage.html

Ken Hince

Jun 27, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/27/95
I've just tried out Aaron...has anyone noticed this?

The very first scan line on the screen seems to be done under the old
system...not under Aaron. This is the line at the top of the menu
bar. I've noticed it because I have my all my applications with
different colored menu bars, which works fine without Aaron, but
with it the very first scan line reverts back to grey (or is it
white...I can't quite tell.

Ken

John Fannin

Jun 27, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/27/95
In article <greg-26069...@glandweb.student.harvard.edu>,
gr...@math.harvard.edu (Gregory D. Landweber) wrote:

> In article <rstokes-2606...@s54.phxslip4.indirect.com>,
> rst...@indirect.com (Randy Stokes) wrote:
>
> > I may have found another bug/conflict: When Aaron is loaded on my Centris
> > 610 running System 7.5, it seems the Open File dialog box in JPEGView 3.2
> > is screwed up; the normal buttons for Open, Cancel, etc. on the right side
> > of the box aren't obscured by what appear to be slider type controls.
> > Clicking in that area, or trying to manipulate the sliders, produces no
> > results. Double clicking on the name of a file in the window seems to
> > work fine, however.
>

> This will be fixed in 1.0b4.
>

> -- Greg Landweber
> gr...@math.harvard.edu
> (author of Greg's Buttons, Greg's Browser, and Aaron)

I think it has something to do with Quicktime 2.0
I isolated tons of extensions and it seemed Quicktime was making the Open
File box goofy. I think this is a fine extension. Looking forward to
your upload tomorrow!

Allen G. Newman

Jun 27, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/27/95

There was a bug where a white line would remain while viewing full-screen
pics in JPEGview, but it was fixed in later versions of Aaron.
_
----------------------- | | | | _ | | ---------------------
Allen G. Newman |_| | | |_ |\| PGP Public Key
ane...@charlie.usd.edu | | |_ |_ |_ | | available on request.

Allen G. Newman

Jun 27, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/27/95
>In article <greg-26069...@glandweb.student.harvard.edu>,
>gr...@math.harvard.edu (Gregory D. Landweber) wrote:
>>In article <peterm.804154997@adils>, pet...@dna.lth.se (Peter Moller) wrote:
>>> One question: Isn't the window border just toooo wide? I find that a major
>>> problem. Anyone else?
>>It is the same size as in all the Copland screen shots.
>Hmmm. I tried Aaron today (1.0b2). I am not that convinced.
>
>1) The borders *are* too wide. It would be nice to be able to adjust them

I saved all the gifs of the "real" Copland from MacUser's Web site and
Copland's WDEF is virtually perfect visual match. The border width is the
same. (I viewed my gif of a Copland window *in* an Aaron-ized window --
there's an image to make you nuts!)

I wrote to Greg about this. See, I'm not the only one! :)

>3) The 3D effect in windows. The problem here is not only the extra
>real-estate taken up by the border, but the fact that, overall, it looks
>funny because you have this 3D window with 2D contents. The 7.0 windows
>are 3D-ish anyway, but without the fat border.

That's why they also redid the icons as perspective drawings.

>4) The Epsi bold font is nice, I use it with GB at the moment.

Yep! The light Epsy is nice too, Aaron or not. I'm thinking about trying
to fix all my apps that use Geneva to use Epsy instead.

>5) The icons are a bit naff. They look too Windows/Openlook-ish for my
>taste. And if you have a folder icon which is special (e.g. those from 4D)
>they look like the old ones.

To each his own!

It's a major pain to redo custom folders, since Folder Icon Maker can't
change the shape of an icon's mask, but I took a couple hours and tried
anyway, cleaning up in ResEdit. I have a LOT of custom folders. Getting
into a work rhythm got me through that drudgery and now everything looks
cool. Guess that means I have to keep Aaron now, 'cause even if I dump it
I'll still have Copland-style custom folders! Where's my checkbook? :)

srjg...@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu

Jun 28, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/28/95
pet...@dna.lth.se (Peter Moller) wrote:

>My only whish (besides thinner window borders) is *proportional scroll bars*.
>Please, please, please, please??? I know it requires a lot of changes, but it's
>*really* useful and well worth the effort, IMHO.

Sorry, but what are proportional scrollbars? I hope you don't mean
scrollbars where the slide gets shorter the further into a long document
you get. I HATE that, I'm looking for real-time scrolling instead.

S. Johnson

Martin Jourdan

Jun 28, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/28/95
In article <peterm.804320512@adils>, pet...@dna.lth.se (Peter Moller) wrote:

> Well, that's nice, but they are still too wide. I mean: if System 8 will have
> that fat borders, I will be very dissapointed at Apple. They take up a *lot*
> of space and doesn't give anything back - no functionality or anything.

Yes they give you a new functionality back: you can move a window by
dragging any border, not only the title bar. Now try to grab a
one-pixel-wide border! ;-)

BTW, for those who are not in Copland, you can get this with "Stretch", a
shareware control panel by Ross Tyler. In fact, you can move or resize
(depending on modifier keys) by dragging any border. And Stretch installs
fatter borders (4 pixels) to help you do that.

Martin Jourdan

Action Charme, INRIA, Rocquencourt, France
Phone +33-1-39-63-54-35, fax +33-1-39-63-56-98, Martin....@inria.fr
#include <std_disclaimer.h>

Doan Stafford

Jun 28, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/28/95
1. I certainly applaud Greg's shareware, but

2. PLEASE send comments about it directly to Greg--the address is
gr...@math.harvard.edu--, and Greg, PLEASE respond in private e-mail, rather
than here...

3. Thanks.

4. >>"please note that Aaron is $10 shareware. Read the docs for more
info." Please pay your shareware fees.

Doan Thiel Stafford
Member, QMUG/LA.

Peter Moller

Jun 28, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/28/95
>>1) The borders *are* too wide. It would be nice to be able to adjust them

>I saved all the gifs of the "real" Copland from MacUser's Web site and
>Copland's WDEF is virtually perfect visual match. The border width is the
>same. (I viewed my gif of a Copland window *in* an Aaron-ized window --
>there's an image to make you nuts!)

Well, that's nice, but they are still too wide. I mean: if System 8 will have

that fat borders, I will be very dissapointed at Apple. They take up a *lot*
of space and doesn't give anything back - no functionality or anything.

BTW: I don't think the interface to System 8 is frozen yet (I mean the Apple
default theme), things may change.

My only whish (besides thinner window borders) is *proportional scroll bars*.
Please, please, please, please??? I know it requires a lot of changes, but it's
*really* useful and well worth the effort, IMHO.

Peter....@dna.lth.se, System Wet-Nurse @ DNA & LUDAT
Department of Computer Science, Lund Institute of Technology
Box 118, S-221 00 LUND, Sweden, tfn +46 -46 10 41 56, fax +46 -46 13 10 21

H. Chou

Jun 28, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/28/95

>>5) The icons are a bit naff. They look too Windows/Openlook-ish for my
>>taste.

actually, whoever posted this is right about certain things about copland
looking Windows-ish. i have windows 95 at work. mostly what i notice are
the windows themselves. both os have fat borders (almost stone-looking,
as if someone chiseled these windows) and that little grab thing in the
lower right corner. i know its purpose on a mac--to resize a window. but
in windows, you can resize a window from any window border, so i don't
know the purpose except maybe for looks.

but i think both aaron and the wdef are nice previews of what to expect
next year from apple.

Jase Pittman-Wells

Jun 28, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/28/95
pet...@dna.lth.se (Peter Moller) writes:
>[..]

>My only whish (besides thinner window borders) is *proportional scroll bars*.
>Please, please, please, please??? I know it requires a lot of changes, but it's
>*really* useful and well worth the effort, IMHO.

I agree with you completely on that one, but I fear that Apple has this
high-minded notion that they won't do it because Windows 95 and Unix GUI's
already do it; if the MacOS did it too then it wouldn't be unique.

Yes, a stupid rationalization, but that's what people have said to me
in the past when I ask about this.. (but not Apple people, so there's
still hope..!)

Jase Pittman-Wells

Jun 28, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/28/95
Doan_S...@pop.com (Doan Stafford) writes:
>1. I certainly applaud Greg's shareware, but
>2. PLEASE send comments about it directly to Greg--the address is
>gr...@math.harvard.edu--, and Greg, PLEASE respond in private e-mail, rather
>than here...

I rather enjoy seeing the replies here. It's nice to follow the
progress of things.

You could use a killfile if you don't like seeing these posts...

Jase Pittman-Wells

Jun 28, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/28/95
srjg...@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu writes:
>>My only whish (besides thinner window borders) is *proportional scroll bars*.
>>Please, please, please, please??? I know it requires a lot of changes, but it's
>>*really* useful and well worth the effort, IMHO.

>Sorry, but what are proportional scrollbars? I hope you don't mean

>scrollbars where the slide gets shorter the further into a long document
>you get. I HATE that, I'm looking for real-time scrolling instead.

It would be nice if the appearance manager will give you the option
of having either of these -- proportional scrollbars and real-time
scrolling.

Ken Hince

Jun 28, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/28/95
I disagree.

I think it is very enlivening to see the interplay between Greg
and those who are trying out his handiwork.

I think that this newsgroup is the appropriate place for such
interplay to occur.

Keep it up.

Ken

zachery joseph bir

Jun 28, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/28/95

Gregory> In article <gjw35aa00...@andrew.cmu.edu>, Christopher

Gregory> J Stone <cjst...@CMU.EDU> wrote:

>> You don't understand that the drawerize feature found in Copland
>> WDEF doesn't work exactly the way it will in copland. And it
>> also has a few bugs in it. Greg will probably try to implement
>> it properly if he puts that feature in a new version.

Gregory> Actually, it is Ed Voas who does all the window (and scroll
Gregory> bar) stuff in Aaron. He is working on a REAL drawer
Gregory> feature. Aaron 1.0b4 supports the WindowShade widget in
Gregory> the menu bar, BTW.

Nothing personal, but I kinda like the way it's set up now. I can just
barely stand using windowshade, and I think it would be cool, rather
than just limiting the button to 'shading the window, allow the user to,
upon a single click in that button to windowshade it, and on a double
click (or definable click) to "drawerize" it. much easier than
dragging. But for me, the point is moot, as Copland probably will never
be written for the 680x0 machines, so it doesn't matter to me if these
extensions "truly" mimick Coplands behavior. As long as they make what I
do more productive (Even though I'd be more productive with a
PowerMac...)

Ciao,

Ron Alcasid

Jun 28, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/28/95
I noticed a few things with verison 1.0b4. When you "roll" up a window
and roll it back down two horizontal lines appear where the title bar and
window frame meet. Also, within the Finder, the titles in windows that
don't have icons in the title bar are not centered properly. And when
using Apple new Desktop PrintMonitor, the "header" bar appears in the
window, probably cause the desktop printers are actually folders. This is
the coolest thing I've ever seen!

Ron

--
Ron Alcasid
pal...@indyunix.iupui.edu

John Conner

Jun 28, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/28/95
In article <greg-28069...@glandweb.student.harvard.edu>,

gr...@math.harvard.edu (Gregory D. Landweber) wrote:

> In article <ebneter-2706...@laser31.unibe.ch>,

> ebn...@iap.unibe.ch (Daniel Ebneter) wrote:
>
> > > I may have found another bug/conflict: When Aaron is loaded on my Centris
> > > 610 running System 7.5, it seems the Open File dialog box in JPEGView 3.2
> > > is screwed up; the normal buttons for Open, Cancel, etc. on the right side
> > > of the box aren't obscured by what appear to be slider type controls.
>

> > I experienced the same while experimenting with Quicktime, MIDI Manager
> > and the QT Musical Instruments (just Symbionts loaded, no Aaron).
> > So maybe QT is to blame ... JPEGView can make use of it,I think.
> > Does the problem disappear without Aaron?
>

> That's a bug in Aaron. It is fixed in 1.0b4, which I released on Monday.
>
> -- Greg Landweber
> gr...@math.harvard.edu
> (author of Greg's Buttons, Greg's Browser, and Aaron)

Where can I get it?

|John Conner tr...@ssnet.com john_...@cgsi.com |
|"I am Kow of Borg. Resistance is Futile. Moo." |
|"Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want."|
| -Both Unknown |

Mike Schwartz

Jun 28, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/28/95
In article <peterm.804320512@adils>, pet...@dna.lth.se (Peter Moller) wrote:

->Well, that's nice, but they are still too wide. I mean: if System 8 will have
->that fat borders, I will be very dissapointed at Apple. They take up a *lot*
->of space and doesn't give anything back - no functionality or anything.
->
->BTW: I don't think the interface to System 8 is frozen yet (I mean the Apple
->default theme), things may change.
->
->My only whish (besides thinner window borders) is *proportional scroll bars*.
->Please, please, please, please??? I know it requires a lot of changes,
but ->it's
->*really* useful and well worth the effort, IMHO.

Not to worry, all this *should* be optional with the Appearance Manager.

--
Michael Schwartz
ru...@wimsey.com

"In cyberspace, nobody knows you're canadian, eh?"
-Kent Barrett-
---------
Microsoft Network is prohibited from redistributing this work in any form, in whole or in part. Copyright (c), Michael Schwartz, 1995.
License to distribute this post is available to Microsoft for $1000. Posting without permission constitutes an agreement to these terms. Please send notices of violation to Postm...@microsoft.com and ru...@wimsey.com.
Portions of this .sig licencsed from Joe Ragosta (doc...@interramp.com)

Mike Schwartz

Jun 28, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/28/95
In article <3sruoa$7...@crl7.crl.com>, ja...@crl.com (Jase Pittman-Wells) wrote:

->It would be nice if the appearance manager will give you the option
->of having either of these -- proportional scrollbars and real-time
->scrolling.

The control panel "Scrolling" gives you real-time scrolling, as well as a
few other scrolling enhancements, like throttle control. Should be on the
Info-Mac/Umich archives.

Scrolling does conflict with Greg's "Aaron" extension though.

Gregory D. Landweber

Jun 28, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/28/95
In article <palcasi-2806...@ul1125-n.ulib.iupui.edu>,
pal...@indyunix.iupui.edu (Ron Alcasid) wrote:

> I noticed a few things with verison 1.0b4. When you "roll" up a window
> and roll it back down two horizontal lines appear where the title bar and
> window frame meet.

I'll pass that on to Ed.

> Also, within the Finder, the titles in windows that
> don't have icons in the title bar are not centered properly.

In a future version, all Finder windows (not just folders) will show a
small icon in the title bar. We're just making room for it now.

> And when
> using Apple new Desktop PrintMonitor, the "header" bar appears in the
> window, probably cause the desktop printers are actually folders.

This should be fixed in the next version (after 1.0b4).

> This is the coolest thing I've ever seen!

And don't forget that Aaron is $10 shareware.

Len Goff

Jun 28, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/28/95
In article <greg-28069...@glandweb.student.harvard.edu>,
gr...@math.harvard.edu (Gregory D. Landweber) wrote:

> That's a bug in Aaron. It is fixed in 1.0b4, which I released on Monday.
>

> -- Greg Landweber
> gr...@math.harvard.edu
> (author of Greg's Buttons, Greg's Browser, and Aaron)

Greg

Where can I get the latest version?

--
Len Goff
len...@mcs.net

Jay Bourland

Jun 28, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/28/95
In article <peterm.804320512@adils>, pet...@dna.lth.se (Peter Moller) wrote:

>ane...@charlie.usd.edu (Allen G. Newman) writes:
>>In article <t.c.streater-2...@mac-tim.dante.org.uk>,
>>t.c.st...@dante.org.uk (Tim Streater) wrote:
>>>In article <greg-26069...@glandweb.student.harvard.edu>,
>>>
>>>1) The borders *are* too wide. It would be nice to be able to adjust them
>
>>I saved all the gifs of the "real" Copland from MacUser's Web site and
>>Copland's WDEF is virtually perfect visual match. The border width is the
>>same. (I viewed my gif of a Copland window *in* an Aaron-ized window --
>>there's an image to make you nuts!)
>

>Well, that's nice, but they are still too wide. I mean: if System 8 will have

>that fat borders, I will be very dissapointed at Apple. They take up a *lot*

>of space and doesn't give anything back - no functionality or anything.

But they DO add functionality - you can drag a window by its edges.

Jay

--
Jay Bourland
Math Department

Tom McDougal

Jun 28, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/28/95
In article <peterm.804320512@adils> Peter Moller, pet...@dna.lth.se writes:
>My only whish (besides thinner window borders) is *proportional scroll bars*.
>Please, please, please, please??? I know it requires a lot of changes, but it's

>*really* useful and well worth the effort, IMHO.

Isn't "thumb" the correct term? (Assuming we are thinking of the same
thing.) That is, the little box that moves up and down? Anyway, I
agree whole-heartedly that sizing the box proportionate to the visible
region of the document would be very useful.

--
Tom McDougal University of Chicago Artificial Intelligence
<mailto:mcdo...@cs.uchicago.edu>

Mark Beale

Jun 28, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/28/95
In article <greg-27069...@glandweb.student.harvard.edu>, Gregory D.
Landweber writes:

>> Yes, I've had the same conflict with JPEGView (and the same problem
with
>> the Open Directory Dialog Box has also shown up in Clarisworks).
However,
>> I wrote to Greg about it, who wrote back that he knows of this bug, and

>> is working on a fix for the next release of Aaron.
>
>I just send Aaron 1.0b4 to macgifts last night, so it should appear on the

>internet archives any day now.

>-- Greg Landweber
> gr...@math.harvard.edu
>(author of Greg's Buttons, Greg's Browser, and Aaron)

Where is MacGifts ???

Mark Beale
email: m...@pipeline.com
phone: 208-884-2694, fax: 208-884-4469
--------------------------------------

Gregory D. Landweber

Jun 29, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/29/95
In article <msattler-290...@slip1008.sirius.com>,
msat...@jungle.com (Michael Sattler, San Francisco) wrote:

> The last few versions of Aaron have this annoying side-effect when pasting
> text into (or around) BBEdit 3.1.2: the text at the insertion point, and
> all the way down to the bottom of the current window pane, becomes grey.

This should be fixed in Aaron 1.0b5, due out early next week.

Morten Sidelmann

Jun 29, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/29/95
When using Aaron 1.0b4 the folder icon on 'New folder' button in save
dialogs should be lowered by 1 pixel. It sits too high at the moment.

Otherwise a great product :-)
--
Morten Sidelmann - The Royal Danish School of Pharmacy
Department of Analytical & Pharmaceutical Chemistry

Denmark: Home of the Tuborg and Carlsberg Beers ;-)

Morten Sidelmann

Jun 29, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/29/95
When using Aaron 1.0b4 the small folder icon on the 'New folder' button in

Morten Sidelmann

Jun 29, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/29/95
When using Aaron 1.0b4 the small folder icon on the 'New folder' button in
save as dialogs should be lowered 1 pixel. It sits too high at the moment.

Morten Sidelmann

Jun 29, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/29/95
When using Aaron 1.0b4 the small folder button on the 'New folder' button
in save as dialogs should be lowered by 1 pixel. It sits too high at the

Morten Sidelmann

Jun 29, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/29/95

Martin Jourdan

Jun 29, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/29/95
In article <DAwxE...@rockyd.rockefeller.edu>,
ki...@rockyj.rockefeller.edu (Simon Kidd) wrote:

> You can get real time scrolling with the control panel Scrolling, unfortunatly
> it has problems with Aaron.

... and with DoubleScroll by Ed Voas (yes, the same who contributes to
Aaron). DoubleScroll adds double arrows at each end of a scrollbar and a
couple of other goodies. It's a must. I've not tried Aaron yet, but I hope
that most of DS will make into Aaron...

Just a Satisfied User (tm).

Kevin Lim

Jun 29, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/29/95
You know what guys, I just got the Desktop Customizing Software
"Zonkers" on CD-ROM and I managed to use its control panel to import the
copland WDEF thingie as one of its window styles!

Kevin Lim
Singapore

Alan D. Earhart

Jun 29, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/29/95
In article <3ssb9h$8...@pipe3.nyc.pipeline.com>, m...@nyc.pipeline.com (Mark
Beale) wrote:

> Where is MacGifts ???

I believe this is a FAQL alert.

--
alan
aear...@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu

Gordon Watts

Jun 29, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/29/95
In article <trek-28069...@ss56.ssnet.com>, tr...@ssnet.com (John
Conner) wrote:

> Where can I get it?

info-mac/gui/aaron-10b4.hqx

Cheers,
Gordon (info-mac moderator)

gwa...@fnal.fnal.gov

Gregory D. Landweber

Jun 29, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/29/95
In article <3stkrs$a...@news.uni-c.dk>, side...@charon.dfh.dk (Morten
Sidelmann) wrote:

> When using Aaron 1.0b4 the folder icon on 'New folder' button in save

> dialogs should be lowered by 1 pixel. It sits too high at the moment.

It looks just fine to me (and I tried several different positions).

Gregory D. Landweber

Jun 29, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/29/95
In article <lengoff-2806...@lengoff.pr.mcs.net>, len...@mcs.net
(Len Goff) wrote:

> Where can I get the latest version?

I release Aaron to all the usual internet Mac software FTP sites. However,
it takes a day or two before it actually appears. Be patient.

Paolo G. Cordone

Jun 29, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/29/95
In article <greg-28069...@glandweb.student.harvard.edu>,
gr...@math.harvard.edu (Gregory D. Landweber) wrote:

> Actually, it is Ed Voas who does all the window (and scroll bar) stuff
> in Aaron. He is working on a REAL drawer feature. Aaron 1.0b4 supports
> the WindowShade widget in the menu bar, BTW.
^^^^^^^^^^^^

Greg I have noticed that you have said this a couple of times. Sure you
mean window title bar...;-)

Paolo

Paolo G. Cordone | Ailesbury Rd. Dublin 4, Ireland
Macintosh | Internet: pam...@internet-eireann.ie
software engineer | pcor...@homer.itp.ie
& localization | OneNet: ClubMac_Ireland, +353-1-4564450
specialist | http://intac.com/~gilesrd/paologc.html

Jason Chuen

Jun 29, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/29/95
In article <3sruj6$7...@crl7.crl.com>, ja...@crl.com (Jase Pittman-Wells) wrote:

> pet...@dna.lth.se (Peter Moller) writes:
> >[..]

> >My only whish (besides thinner window borders) is *proportional scroll bars*.
> >Please, please, please, please??? I know it requires a lot of changes, but
> >it's *really* useful and well worth the effort, IMHO.
>

> I agree with you completely on that one, but I fear that Apple has this
> high-minded notion that they won't do it because Windows 95 and Unix GUI's
> already do it; if the MacOS did it too then it wouldn't be unique.

But this is silly! System 5 for the Apple IIGS (yeah, you remember that
one?) had proportional scroll bars! Does anyone remember what year that
was?

Jason Chuen

| AUSOM Network Administration |
| j...@ausom.oz.au / j...@suburbia.apana.org.au |
| When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail. |

Paolo G. Cordone

Jun 29, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/29/95
In article <3sruj6$7...@crl7.crl.com>,
ja...@crl.com (Jase Pittman-Wells) wrote:

> Yes, a stupid rationalization, but that's what people have said to me
> in the past when I ask about this.. (but not Apple people, so there's
> still hope..!)
>
> Jase

Well, it's not only Apple. Many many users also don't like this feature
(included me).

Paolo G. Cordone

Jun 29, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/29/95
In article <DAw80...@midway.uchicago.edu>,
Tom McDougal <mcdo...@cs.uchicago.edu> wrote:

> Isn't "thumb" the correct term? (Assuming we are thinking of the same
> thing.) That is, the little box that moves up and down? Anyway, I
> agree whole-heartedly that sizing the box proportionate to the visible
> region of the document would be very useful.

My main complaint about proportional thumbs (or throttles) is when the text
is slighlty longer than the window. Then the thumb occupies nearly all the
scroll bar. Probably one of the ugliest things you could ever see on a
computer!

Van C. Bagnol

Jun 29, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/29/95
Jase Pittman-Wells (Jase Pittman-Wells (ja...@crl.com)) wrote:
: pet...@dna.lth.se (Peter Moller) writes:
: >My only whish (besides thinner window borders) is *proportional scroll bars*.

: >Please, please, please, please??? I know it requires a lot of changes, but it's
: >*really* useful and well worth the effort, IMHO.

: I agree with you completely on that one, but I fear that Apple has this
: high-minded notion that they won't do it because Windows 95 and Unix GUI's
: already do it; if the MacOS did it too then it wouldn't be unique.

The eminent Bruce Tognazzini in his book "Tog on Interface" wrote about
Apple's discussions on the issue of proportional scrollbars (yes, they
-did- contemplate it). It was determined that although useful to the power
user they were confusing to the novice user. So they left it out.

I don't mind that; what I -do- mind is that Apple in its Infinite Loop
wisdom left out the -ability- to have proportional scroll bars in its
standard scroll CDEF. (Sure, you can write your own, but currently there
is no standard way for existing apps to inform the scroller the extra
information needed for the proportion.)

You -can- write a scroller that heuristically -guess- at the proportion
of the document viewed (by examining CtlMin/Max/Values after PageUp and
PageDn partcode events) but they won't take effect until page parts are
clicked so it's kludgy.

Van
--
Van Bagnol / v...@crl.com / (707) 552-7228 vox / (707) 575-8334 fax
Hawksbill Capital Management - Santa Rosa, CA / (707) 575-7077

Van C. Bagnol

Jun 29, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/29/95
Peter Moller (Peter Moller (pet...@dna.lth.se)) wrote:

: srjg...@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu writes:
: >Sorry, but what are proportional scrollbars? I hope you don't mean
: >scrollbars where the slide gets shorter the further into a long document
: >you get. I HATE that, I'm looking for real-time scrolling instead.

: What? I have never seen that. What I'm talking about is a thumb that adjusts
: its size to show how much of the document you are viewing. If your page shows
: 80% of the document, the thumb fills 80% (and the right 80% too) of the scroll
: bar. [...]
: I have *never* seen a thumb that changes size the further down into a document
: you get.

He probably means the same thing. He might have meant to say the thumb
gets smaller as the -document- grows in size, which would be the case
when you have proportional scrollbars in, say, a log window of a terminal
session.

Jo Reich

Jun 29, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/29/95
It is fixed in 1.0b4, which I released on Monday.,

Has anyone got an exact address for this version so i can cut down on my Ftp
bills and so i don't have to go through all those Info mac Menu's

Please reply by email thanks

Jo

-- Jo
_/_/_/ _/_/_/_/ Jo Reich
_/ _/ _/ Deep Thought BBS, Auckland, New Zealand
_/ _/ _/ A FirstClass(tm) Macintosh GUI BBS
_/_/_/ _/ Internet: jo_n...@deepthnk.kiwi.gen.nz

Simon Kidd

Jun 29, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/29/95
In article <3sruoa$7...@crl7.crl.com>, Jase Pittman-Wells <ja...@crl.com> wrote:

>srjg...@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu writes:
>>>My only whish (besides thinner window borders) is *proportional scroll bars*.
>>>Please, please, please, please??? I know it requires a lot of changes, but it's
>>>*really* useful and well worth the effort, IMHO.
>
>>Sorry, but what are proportional scrollbars? I hope you don't mean
>>scrollbars where the slide gets shorter the further into a long document
>>you get. I HATE that, I'm looking for real-time scrolling instead.
>
>It would be nice if the appearance manager will give you the option
>of having either of these -- proportional scrollbars and real-time
>scrolling.

You can get real time scrolling with the control panel Scrolling, unfortunatly
it has problems with Aaron.

Simon

Allen John Hall

Jun 29, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/29/95
To the authors and creators of Aaron:

First, I must say that I have been enlightened with aaron, and feel that
it is about time that the Mac had some look and feel changes (user
configurable) just like the Amigas have/had. Please keep up the good work
and don't worry about everyone griping about the thing... you can't get
everything that everyone wants.

---- Warning: long rambling talk about Sun Mouse style window Selection here---

On that note, here's something that someone mentioned to me was probably
too deep in the os to play with... I'm talking about the Mouse
operations... If Apple follows the workstation big boys then they will
probably play with the mouse operations a bit also. Every workstation I
know of has the capability to be configured to allow for mouse
highlighting of the active window. I also know that this is a moot point
among many of the users of workstations, so if you are intrigued with this
as an idea or addition to Aaron please take note of the following: The
Amiga's SunMouse application (or whatever) has the ability to be
configured to activate the mouse selected window upon pressing a key on
the keyboard. This is nice because of the fact that when you go sliding
your mouse around on the screen it tends to activate tons of windows as it
goes... (BTW, it activates these windows but does not bring them to the
front -> very important point here)... So, one can highlight a background
window, then start typing and low and behold your typing ends up being
sent to the app whos window you selected. (The mean while you haven't
brought the app to the front at all).

I know this is a lengthy bit of mess and probably has nothing to do with
Aaron, but I feel it will probably be added to Sys.8. And I think it's
probably a whole lot easier to say "Try a Sun20 or something" than trying
to explain it here.

Please feel free to e-mail concerning this idea if you want to know what
the heck I was babbling about above.
-----------------

Another small question about Aaron... Will it retrieve icons from the
icon information within the folder instead of just slapping up a folder
icon in the menu bar? (I have a nice copland HD icon and others up, and I
miss them in the nice new menu-bar).

I appologize if any of this was mentioned in the thread before, and again,
I look forward to any and all e-mail messages with
comments/suggestions/questions that anyone may have for me.

CHEERS!

Allen Hall

---
Allen J. Hall
Senior in Materials Science and Engineering

n9...@uiuc.edu (prefered)
or ah...@uiuc.edu (goes to the same place)
or ah6...@coewl.cen.uiuc.edu (for large files only)

~~~~~ Jack Handey from Saturday Night Live always says: ~~~~~~
"Maybe in order to understand mankind, we have to look at the word
itself. Mankind. Basically, it's made up of two separate words - "mank"
and "ind." What do these words mean? It's a mystery, and that's why so
is mankind."

Peter Moller

Jun 29, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/29/95
srjg...@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

>pet...@dna.lth.se (Peter Moller) wrote:
>>My only whish (besides thinner window borders) is *proportional scroll bars*.
>>Please, please, please, please??? I know it requires a lot of changes, but it's
>>*really* useful and well worth the effort, IMHO.
>Sorry, but what are proportional scrollbars? I hope you don't mean
>scrollbars where the slide gets shorter the further into a long document
>you get. I HATE that, I'm looking for real-time scrolling instead.

What? I have never seen that. What I'm talking about is a thumb that adjusts

its size to show how much of the document you are viewing. If your page shows

80% of the document, the thumb fills 80% (and the right 80% too) of the scroll-
bar. This is, IMHO, very useful information. I have it in Netscape on my Sun,
and I constantly get irritated when I run Netscape on my Mac; how much is
this? How much more does this page contain?

I have *never* seen a thumb that changes size the further down into a document
you get.

Peter....@dna.lth.se, System Wet-Nurse @ DNA & LUDAT
Department of Computer Science, Lund Institute of Technology
Box 118, S-221 00 LUND, Sweden, tfn +46 -46 10 41 56, fax +46 -46 13 10 21

Gregory D. Landweber

Jun 29, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/29/95
In article <ahall-29069...@ruger-23.slip.uiuc.edu>, ah...@uiuc.edu
(Allen John Hall) wrote:

> Another small question about Aaron... Will it retrieve icons from the
> icon information within the folder instead of just slapping up a folder
> icon in the menu bar? (I have a nice copland HD icon and others up, and I
> miss them in the nice new menu-bar).

Yes. We're working on it.

Mick Mueck

Jun 29, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/29/95
>>My main complaint about proportional thumbs (or throttles) is when the text
>>is slighlty longer than the window. Then the thumb occupies nearly all the
>>scroll bar. Probably one of the ugliest things you could ever see on a
>>computer!
>>
>>Paolo
>
>That is the entire idea of proportional scroll bars!!!! Using this
>feature, one knows at a glance how far down they have to go before they
>hit the bottom.
>
>Currently, the text may be slightly longer than the window and I will have
>no idea.

I have proportional scroll bars (of sorts) on my Sun running
OpenWindows and they leave the thumb alone and indicate the ratio of
the displayed page size to the document size with a neat, faint
vertical line in the scroll area. A picture's worth a thousand words,
so here's my ASCII rendition of the scroll bar (rotated 90 degrees to
save space and adapted for the Mac style - the Sun puts the scroll
up/down arrows on the thumb itself):

.--------------------------------------------------------------------.
| /// ,,,,,,,,,,#####,,,,,,,,,, \\\ |
| \\\ ''''''''''#####'''''''''' /// |
`--------------------------------------------------------------------'

_ _
##|`##### /\ |\ | /\ | / \ / ` Mick Mueck _,~~_|\
##| `### /--\ | \| /--\ |__ \_/ \_] Computer Products Division / DOWN \
##| ># _ __ _ __ _ Phone: 617-937-1272 { UNDER }
##| ,### | \ |__ \ / | / ` |__ (_` Fax: 617-937-1014 \_,~~^._/
##|,##### |_/ |__ \/ | \_, |__ ._) Email: mick....@analog.com v

eduardo cao

Jun 29, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/29/95

Sam Huffman (sch...@umich.edu) wrote:
: In article <ZBIR.95Ju...@nickel.ucs.indiana.edu>,
: zb...@nickel.ucs.indiana.edu (zachery joseph bir) wrote:

: My understanding is that the Copland WDEF does some really skanky things
: to get the drawer effect, and therefore it causes some significant
: problems with a few very common applications. I believe the author of the
: WDEF himself suggested that people stay away from the drawer "feature". He
: left it in the current release after an earlier beta with the feature was
: leaked out...

What would seem to be the problem with it I am using version b13 and have
found not problem with the drawer effects. I do admit Draging and droping
is still not very good but when using pictures its the best anyone has
come up with.

eduardo cao

Jun 29, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/29/95
Peter Moller (pet...@dna.lth.se) wrote:
: What? I have never seen that. What I'm talking about is a thumb that adjusts

: its size to show how much of the document you are viewing. If your page shows
: 80% of the document, the thumb fills 80% (and the right 80% too) of the scroll-
: bar. This is, IMHO, very useful information. I have it in Netscape on my Sun,
: and I constantly get irritated when I run Netscape on my Mac; how much is
: this? How much more does this page contain?

: I have *never* seen a thumb that changes size the further down into a document
: you get.

I to would like someone to come up with a hack that would allow this on
the Mac.

It is loading more messages.