Copland instead of sleep

Pi

Jul 31, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/31/95
How's this for stupidity?

Everyone keeps going on about the Copland interface/Aaron. So I decided to
rewrite my System File. I held a Copland screen grab from a Mac Mag in
front of me and put in Copland style scroll bars, buttons, radio buttons,
menus, title icons, dialogue submenus, title bar embossing, icons and the
drawer feature. I ripped out the Apple code and put my own in. this has the
advantage of not trapping code and so my Mac runs a whole lot faster than
with inits to do the job. The only things I didn't do were change the
system font (because I like Chicago, not Epsi) and I didn't put in the
fancy progress bars like Aaron (because I don't know how - yet).

*However* although my drawer feature works fine I forgot that I run a
Control Strip which covers up the drawer tabs (I wrote it all starting up
on shift to aid quicker restarting and checking each completed bit).

*So* I had to write a patch to turn the Control Strip on and off. I
basically wrote it as an FKey, but the Finder doesn't know how to launch
FKeys so I had to insert a patch to cover that (Why didn't I just put it in
the System File too? I think I must have been too tired by then - had been
up all night already). Then I remembered that you can put your FKey code in
an FFIL and bung it in the Fonts file.

So at the end of it I wasn't sure whether this had been a successful spot
of hacking or not. I've got a lovely fast Copland style screen, but I sure
as hell took the long way around!

I think the phrase is *Duh!*

p...@macabre.demon.co.uk | Presently in Cyprus
| http://cent1.lancs.ac.uk/~phb007
______________________________|______________________________________

Spectre 03

Jul 31, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/31/95
A much easier solution would have been to hold down the option key and
drag the control strip to a new anchor position.

Gregory D. Landweber

Jul 31, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/31/95
In article <AC41E3F3...@macabre.demon.co.uk>, p...@macabre.demon.co.uk
(Pi) wrote:

> Everyone keeps going on about the Copland interface/Aaron. So I decided to
> rewrite my System File. I held a Copland screen grab from a Mac Mag in
> front of me and put in Copland style scroll bars, buttons, radio buttons,
> menus, title icons, dialogue submenus, title bar embossing, icons and the
> drawer feature. I ripped out the Apple code and put my own in. this has the
> advantage of not trapping code and so my Mac runs a whole lot faster than
> with inits to do the job. The only things I didn't do were change the
> system font (because I like Chicago, not Epsi) and I didn't put in the
> fancy progress bars like Aaron (because I don't know how - yet).

I see no reason why installing this interface stuff in the system instead
of using INITs would speed up your Mac. All of the patches in Aaron are
fat patches containing both 680x0 and PowerPC code, so you won't get any
time-consuming mode switches. Also, the time spent in the patch is
insignificant compared to the time spent drawing the user interface
elements.

Also, a lot of what Aaron does cannot be accomplished by just replacing
system code resources. For instance, the Progress Bars cannot be done by
replacing some plug-in resources. When Pi says that he is rewriting the
system file, I believe he means that he is substituting new WDEFs and CDEFs
(Window Definitions and Control Definitions) for the standard ones, as opposed
to actually rewriting the system's code.

Finally, why write your own system resources when you can just dump Aaron's
into your system file (I don't recommend this since Aaron's resources are
meant to be installed from its INIT, but it will still work to a limited
extent)? When I read this post, it sounded like you were just using
Aaron's
resources, except perhaps for the drawer feature. Is this what you were
doing? I am particularly suspicious these days since two people have taken
copies of Aaron, stripped my shareware info and copyright notice, and
substituted their own info. I don't mind if you fiddle on your machine,
but
distributing modified versions of Aaron, even if they have been stripped out
with ResEdit and reintegrated into a new package, is a copyright violation.

-- Greg Landweber
gr...@math.harvard.edu
(author of Greg's Buttons, Greg's Browser, and Aaron)

Pi

Aug 1, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/1/95
In article <3vhlpp$i...@newsbf02.news.aol.com>,
spec...@aol.com (Spectre 03) wrote:

> A much easier solution would have been to hold down the option key and
> drag the control strip to a new anchor position.

What? EVERY time I collapse a window and later want to open it??? I think
not!

p...@macabre.demon.co.uk | Presently in India
| http://cent1.lancs.ac.uk/~phb007
______________________________|______________________________________

Pi

Aug 1, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/1/95
In article <greg-31079...@glandweb.student.harvard.edu>,

gr...@math.harvard.edu (Gregory D. Landweber) wrote:

> I see no reason why installing this interface stuff in the system instead
> of using INITs would speed up your Mac.

Well, I think 'speed it up' is a bit of a misnomer. It allows the Mac to
run at normal speed, as opposed to the sys issuing a GUI command and a
patch trapping that command and changing it on the fly, thus slowing the
machine. In my way only one code is issued.

> Also, a lot of what Aaron does cannot be accomplished by just replacing
> system code resources. For instance, the Progress Bars cannot be done by
> replacing some plug-in resources.

Ah ha! I said I didn't know how to do it. Now I know why! And I had my own
progress bars designed to plug in. Thanks. Saved me a lot of work there!
(And also Damn! I had designed a bar that would change colour according to
how much percent was complete).

> When Pi says that he is rewriting the
> system file, I believe he means that he is substituting new WDEFs and CDEFs
> (Window Definitions and Control Definitions) for the standard ones, as opposed
> to actually rewriting the system's code.

Yes, but I meant I was stripping the Apple stuff out and inserting these
resources. So it is in the System file, but as you say...

hey! It was when I had finished coding that I posted. (I don't remember why
I posted it now) So that is not the best time to be lucid about technical
details. When I finished my word processor and assembler I also went on to
write the blurb for it. Luckily at the time I was working for a company
(that was, let me see, about 1986) and the PR guys grabbed it and rewrote
it. Lucky for me really. I was annoyed about them, but when I came back in
next day and reread what I had written I was glad they got it off me. Would
you buy a Word Processor that had in its advertising: 'The result of many
sweaty nights' ?

> Finally, why write your own system resources when you can just dump Aaron's
> into your system file

> When I read this post, it sounded like you were just using Aaron's

Because that would mean

a) paying you

(as I pointed out a couple of months back I write freeware (I've seen our
stuff side by side in some of the same directories on ftp), so I don't like
paying for shareware - there is a good reason/story/experience behind this
that I won't bore you with now) and

b) what would the interface be like that was different from Aaron? In other
words, why not just use Aaron?

Because I have arranged my window widgets where I want them (Zoom to the
right, like the Mac has always been, drawer to the left, beside the close
box). Other features are not so close to Copland, eg, shading to get the
inverse colours distinguishable, buttons not so heavy, not so much
embossing, sides of windows more like Motif. I twiddled for my eye, and my
eye only. So it wasn't really 'let's copy Copland', it was more of 'that's
a good idea, and that's nice, and, oh, I can do that'. Pick'n'Mix really.
Anyway, _I_ like the effect.

> distributing modified versions of Aaron,

like I say, I programmed my own. My System file is 3Mb big. I don't want to
circulate that (think of the phone bill!) , besides what happens when the
new system comes out? or people complain that a System File for a PB won't
work on their PPC?

Anyway, I think you are getting a little paranoid, Greg. Aaron may be
copyright to you, but you have just as much right to emulate Copland
screen grabs as I have. Only thing is you make money out of Aaron (and a
couple of days ago you said that judging by the thousands of registrations
you've had you think Aaron is successful, so that must be several thousand
'bucks' you've made out of Aaron - so the next drinks are on you), the guy
who wrote that Copland WDEF presumably makes money out of it (it would be
very interesting to have him join us on this group) and I did mine for my
own pleasure.

Don't get me wrong. I think Aaron is fine, and I used it for nearly two
days. But as you should appreciate, if you think you can do something, you
think you can do it better/faster/cheaper/hairier and with more whistles
than anyone else. Or is that just me?

Next thing I want to do is get rid of the menu bar and write my own, all
available via a configurable menu that can pop up on any of my mouse's
three buttons. In other words I MISS UNIX!!!

Gregory D. Landweber

Aug 1, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/1/95
In article <AC445B21...@macabre.demon.co.uk>, p...@macabre.demon.co.uk
(Pi) wrote:

> In article <greg-31079...@glandweb.student.harvard.edu>,
> gr...@math.harvard.edu (Gregory D. Landweber) wrote:
>
> > I see no reason why installing this interface stuff in the system instead
> > of using INITs would speed up your Mac.
>
> Well, I think 'speed it up' is a bit of a misnomer. It allows the Mac to
> run at normal speed, as opposed to the sys issuing a GUI command and a
> patch trapping that command and changing it on the fly, thus slowing the
> machine. In my way only one code is issued.

The time your Mac would spend in a trap patch is negligible compared to
the time it spends drawing the buttons, windows, scroll bars, etc.
In fact, considering that Copland-style interface elements are significantly
more complex than their System 7 counterparts, the time implementing this
additional complexity far outweighs the delay from a trap patch. In addition,
since Aaron's trap patches are fat (i.e., no unnecessary mode switches),
and the code is PowerPC native, Aaron's interface elements draw faster than
the System 7 ones.

On the other hand, installing the resources directly into the system file
reduces the overall complexity, which isn't a bad thing.

> > Also, a lot of what Aaron does cannot be accomplished by just replacing
> > system code resources. For instance, the Progress Bars cannot be done by
> > replacing some plug-in resources.
>
> Ah ha! I said I didn't know how to do it. Now I know why! And I had my own
> progress bars designed to plug in. Thanks. Saved me a lot of work there!
> (And also Damn! I had designed a bar that would change colour according to
> how much percent was complete).

I believe that many programs use a Progress Bar CDEF, so if you are using
any such programs, you could substitute your own Progress Bar CDEF.

> > When Pi says that he is rewriting the
> > system file, I believe he means that he is substituting new WDEFs and CDEFs
> > (Window Definitions and Control Definitions) for the standard ones,
as opposed
> > to actually rewriting the system's code.

> > Finally, why write your own system resources when you can just dump Aaron's
> > into your system file. When I read this post, it sounded like you were

> > just using Aaron's
>
> Because that would mean
> a) paying you

Well I still think it was a lot of work just to avoid a $10 payment, and I
don't think most people would be willing to take that step. However, I
understand (but don't share) your aversion to shareware, and I commend your
effort. It sounds like me when I wrote Greg's Buttons four years ago.

> > distributing modified versions of Aaron,
>

> like I say, I programmed my own...

> Anyway, I think you are getting a little paranoid, Greg. Aaron may be
> copyright to you, but you have just as much right to emulate Copland
> screen grabs as I have.

As long as you are programming it yourself, I don't care what you do
(although I would like to see it for myself to see if you are doing something
clever that I hadn't thought of...).

However, I don't think I'm being paranoid. So far, two unscrupulous people
have taken copies of Aaron, removed my shareware and copyright info and
substituted their own. In addition, I know of two cases where
well-meaning
people modified Aaron to add their own enhancements and then distributed it.
They kept my info, but still it was very confusing to try to support versions
that I had never seen.

Some people aren't aware that modifying a program with ResEdit doesn't count
as programming, and I was afraid that your post might inspire them to make a
mess with Aaron.

There is a big difference between copying Copland screen shots in magazines,
and using my code without my permission (and in case anyone is following
the "Is Aaron Legal" thread, Apple approves of Aaron and has offered to give
me the REAL Copland user experience specs under NDA).

> Only thing is you make money out of Aaron (and a
> couple of days ago you said that judging by the thousands of registrations
> you've had you think Aaron is successful, so that must be several thousand
> 'bucks' you've made out of Aaron - so the next drinks are on you)

You misread my post. I said that judging by the number of registrations I
have received, I estimate that their are thousands, or tens of thousands of
users. I didn't say that I actually had received thousands of registrations.
I based my estimate on the fact that somewhere between 2% and 5% of people
using shareware actually register.

> the guy
> who wrote that Copland WDEF presumably makes money out of it (it would be
> very interesting to have him join us on this group) and I did mine for my
> own pleasure.

I believe that the Copland WDEF is freeware.

> Don't get me wrong. I think Aaron is fine, and I used it for nearly two
> days. But as you should appreciate, if you think you can do something, you
> think you can do it better/faster/cheaper/hairier and with more whistles
> than anyone else. Or is that just me?

As I said before, that is how Greg's Buttons got started...

Scott Fenton

Aug 2, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/2/95
The Copland WDEF is freeware. It was written for kicks and uploaded so
that any others who wanted to see a glimpse of the future Copland UI,
however twisted I may have made it, could. I have stopped development as
of version d16. Maintaining compatibility for the WDEF was consuming too
much of my time for a freeware product and I didn't have the time to
commit to supporting it as shareware.

-Scott

Pi

Aug 3, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/3/95
In article <greg-31079...@glandweb.student.harvard.edu>,
gr...@math.harvard.edu (Gregory D. Landweber) wrote:

>The time your Mac would spend in a trap patch is negligible compared to

well I haven't timed them both, but mine is appreciably faster to the feel.
For example my menus come down immediately I click. With Aaron and Buttons
there was a wait of just_long_enough_to_think_'did_I_miss_the_menu'? If you
know what I mean.

>and the code is PowerPC native, Aaron's interface elements draw faster than
>the System 7 ones.

I loath PPC's more than shareware fees! :-) I have my trusty reliable and
above all _Macintosh_, 540c/040/66.

>On the other hand, installing the resources directly into the system file
>reduces the overall complexity, which isn't a bad thing.

>I believe that many programs use a Progress Bar CDEF, so if you are using

>any such programs, you could substitute your own Progress Bar CDEF.

Thanks, now that it is done, I have lost interest (I've gone on to building
a synth compatible with the Mac)

>> Because that would mean
>> a) paying you
>
>Well I still think it was a lot of work just to avoid a $10 payment, and I
>don't think most people would be willing to take that step. However, I
>understand (but don't share) your aversion to shareware,

Oh all right. Here's the story. A couple of years back I found a piece of
shareware I really liked. It did really cool stuff, so I paid the $15 fee
according to the directions in the annoybox. A month later the annoybox
came back to tell me that my month code number had run out and I had to re
pay. So I had no choice but to over react and swear NEVER to pay shreware
fees again. Although I'm not averse to looking at it, assessing the ideas
and making my own version from scratch. The other effect is that I
immediately stopped asking for money for my work. On the basis 'I want it
free, I give it free' and there's far more stuff on the net that is useful
to me than I could spend the time making my versions of. So if everyone
adopted it, everyone wins.

>(although I would like to see it for myself to see if you are doing something
>clever that I hadn't thought of...).

hey! copyright, remember? ;-))

>However, I don't think I'm being paranoid.

It must be that centuries old problem of not getting the nuances over the
net. When I read your posts I get the impression that you are not only
protective of Aaron, but of the concept of what Aaron does.

I also get the impression from MY posts to you that I am short tempered
with your money grabbing antics. Perhaps emoticons should be compulsory?
:-O

>as programming, and I was afraid that your post might inspire them to make a
>mess with Aaron.

freedom of speech... no net censorship... etc etc...

>and using my code without my permission

your code is no good to me anyway. I don't know what language you wrote it
in and so can't decompile it.

>As I said before, that is how Greg's Buttons got started...

So who were you trying to beat with that?

Oh you're so competitive! ;-)

Pluralitas non ponenda est sine necessitate
p...@macabre.demon.co.uk
http://cent1.lancs.ac.uk/~phb007