Re: macOS Sonoma 14.3 update went well, except...

Chris Schram

Jan 23, 2024, 5:00:25 AMJan 23
On 2024-01-23, Chris Schram <chri...@me.com> wrote:
> ...it deleted ALL 134 of the Aerial screensaver video files. Yes, it was
> set to Shuffle All, so it should have left them alone. Fortunately I
> have those files backed up in a few places.
>
> They're promising I'll get fiber "real soon now," but for now I'm
> limping by on DSL over early 1950s copper wire. It took all day to
> download the macOS update, and I'm really glad I did not have to go back
> and download the videos too.
>
> I think I like the freebie Aerial.saver better. I really like the clock
> and captions overlay feature. It has been going through a bunch of
> changes recently, and I'd prefer to wait until it settles.down.

Quick followup to myself: After I restored all the screensaver videos,
after a short time it went and deleted them again. I'm switching back to
Aerial.saver right now!

--
ATTN Google Groups users: I filter out your posts and will rarely see them.
chri...@me.com is an infrequently monitored address. Email may get lost.

Alan Browne

Jan 23, 2024, 8:45:53 AMJan 23
On 2024-01-23 04:53, Chris Schram wrote:
> ...it deleted ALL 134 of the Aerial screensaver video files. Yes, it was
> set to Shuffle All, so it should have left them alone. Fortunately I
> have those files backed up in a few places.

Are these Apple original files?

> They're promising I'll get fiber "real soon now," but for now I'm
> limping by on DSL over early 1950s copper wire. It took all day to
> download the macOS update, and I'm really glad I did not have to go back
> and download the videos too.

There's a certain nostalgia for things that take a long time to DL -
sort of like waiting for a reply to a letter sent by mail.

Per headers your UTC is 0, potentially putting you in the UK - is that so?

IAC where do you live?

> I think I like the freebie Aerial.saver better. I really like the clock
> and captions overlay feature. It has been going through a bunch of
> changes recently, and I'd prefer to wait until it settles.down.

I personally don't care much about the saver, it's on when I'm not here
and when I get back the screen is usually off.

--
“Markets can remain irrational longer than your can remain solvent.”
- John Maynard Keynes.

Alan Browne

Jan 26, 2024, 10:15:39 AMJan 26
On 2024-01-26 07:57, Bud Frede wrote:
> Alan Browne <bitb...@blackhole.com> writes:
>
>> On 2024-01-23 04:53, Chris Schram wrote:
>>> ...it deleted ALL 134 of the Aerial screensaver video files. Yes, it was
>>> set to Shuffle All, so it should have left them alone. Fortunately I
>>> have those files backed up in a few places.
>>
>> Are these Apple original files?
>>
>>> They're promising I'll get fiber "real soon now," but for now I'm
>>> limping by on DSL over early 1950s copper wire. It took all day to
>>> download the macOS update, and I'm really glad I did not have to go back
>>> and download the videos too.
>>
>> There's a certain nostalgia for things that take a long time to DL -
>> sort of like waiting for a reply to a letter sent by mail.

<snipped>

> I guess I'm ok with the flat look of macOS now after getting used to
> it, but I still think I'd like a more sculptured or maybe skeuomorphic
> design style again.

I'm not pleased with MacOS (Sonoma) flat look, nor its poorly thought
out Systems Settings layout; but skeumorphic was always bad.

> I really like the look of NeXTSTEP too, and wish I could use that
> again. Yes, I did use OPENSTEP for Intel for a while, so maybe it would
> be possible to get it running in a VM if I could find the install media.
> That's on my backburner list of things to do along with getting OS/2
> running in a VM, putting RiscOS on an RPi and learning more about BBC
> Basic, etc.

Personally, unless I need an older OS due to some application need
(accounting comes to mind), I don't care about older OS'. Good riddance.

I run a Pi4 with Ubuntu or without an OS at all (runtime library for my
code).

> Ok, time to stop wandering in the past and start work. :-) My employer
> is sending me a new MBP and a new iPhone today, so I get to play with
> new toys.

Nice - but that fun wears off quick now days.