which newsreader

Edna Hosner

Aug 10, 2022, 11:14:29 PM8/10/22
i'll be getting a new iMac in the next few months

i've been using thoth for years

? what newreader do you recommend and why

thanks

ed

gtr

Aug 11, 2022, 1:51:35 AM8/11/22
I moved from Thoth to Usenapp. Reason, it was a reasonable replacement.

Joerg Lorenz

Aug 11, 2022, 2:10:42 AM8/11/22
Am 11.08.22 um 05:14 schrieb Edna Hosner:
> i'll be getting a new iMac in the next few months

:-)

> i've been using thoth for years
>
> ? what newreader do you recommend and why

Mozilla Thunderbird. Usenet and mail. Very well maintained. Open Source
and sticks to all standards and RFCs.

https://www.thunderbird.net/en-US/download/

--
Gutta cavat lapidem (Ovid)

nospam

Aug 11, 2022, 2:48:07 AM8/11/22
In article <td26gu$kakk$1...@solani.org>, Joerg Lorenz <hugy...@gmx.ch>
wrote:

> Mozilla Thunderbird. Usenet and mail. Very well maintained. Open Source
> and sticks to all standards and RFCs.

hah no. it does not stick to standards and rfcs nor do the authors
bother fixing bugs.

Joerg Lorenz

Aug 11, 2022, 3:58:00 AM8/11/22
Am 11.08.22 um 08:48 schrieb nospam:
*ROTFLSTC*

Joerg Lorenz

Aug 11, 2022, 4:11:46 AM8/11/22
Am 11.08.22 um 08:48 schrieb nospam:
This is by far the most powerful E-Mail- and Usenet-Client on this
planet. It works on Windows, macOS and Linux. Profiles are fully
compatible.

Apple Mail is crap: Thunderbird is the solution. Apple calendar is OK
but most is done on TB. Thanks to CardDAV and CalDAV-capabilities it is
easy to connect it with the iCloud.

TB is the only client of multi profile-capabilities for all platforms.

Thunderbird and Firefox together can replace the partially really second
rate Apple software.

For most users TB and FF cover the majority of their needs.

Joerg Lorenz

Aug 14, 2022, 10:22:50 AM8/14/22
Am 14.08.22 um 13:23 schrieb Bud Frede:
> Thunderbird is, unfortunately, not really very good as a Usenet
> client. It's kind of the bare minimum for that task, but there are other
> newsreaders that are much better.

Will you have the grace to tell us which one in your opinion?
There is a reasons why TB has a market share of more than 50% as Usenet
client.

Joerg Lorenz

Aug 14, 2022, 10:33:42 AM8/14/22
Am 14.08.22 um 13:23 schrieb Bud Frede:
> Thunderbird is, unfortunately, not really very good as a Usenet
> client. It's kind of the bare minimum for that task, but there are other
> newsreaders that are much better.

The user badgolferman produces the statitics for misc.phone.mobile.iphone

Here the distribution of the news readers. Certainly that is not
representative for the Usenet as whole but it won't differ much:

Top Newsreaders

Ranking Articles Newsreader Users
------- -------- -------------------------------------------- -----
1 238 Mozilla 22
2 85 Thoth 1
3 50 slrn 3
4 17 NewsTap 4
5 12 Usenapp 1
6 12 <unknown> 5
7 9 Hogwasher 2
8 7 Opera Mail 2
9 7 Forte Agent 1
10 5 Xnews 3
11 4 Unison 2
12 3 XanaNews 1
13 3 Usenapp for MacOS 1
14 2 Microsoft Outlook Express 1
15 2 Turnpike 1
16 1 WinVN 1
17 1 None 1
18 1 tin 1

There are good reasons for this picture.

nospam

Aug 14, 2022, 12:05:39 PM8/14/22
In article <tdb0fm$po2f$1...@solani.org>, Joerg Lorenz <hugy...@gmx.ch>
wrote:

> There is a reasons why TB has a market share of more than 50% as Usenet
> client.

that doesn't mean it's any good.

Joerg Lorenz

Aug 14, 2022, 1:35:12 PM8/14/22
Am 14.08.22 um 18:05 schrieb nospam:
it is; "believe me"

Otto Pylot

Aug 14, 2022, 2:32:59 PM8/14/22
On Aug 10, 2022 at 8:14:24 PM PDT, "Edna Hosner" <ed...@invalid.invalid> wrote:

FWIW, I still have Thoth on an older MacBook running Catalina but switched to
Usenapp once I migrated my primary MaBook Pro to Monterey, and then to a new
MacBook M1 Pro.
--
Deja Moo: I've seen this bullshit before.

Your Name

Aug 15, 2022, 2:41:04 AM8/15/22
On 2022-08-14 22:43:22 +0000, Bud Frede said:
> Because most people don't know any better? :-)

As proven by the fact that Windoze became and is still so widely used. :-)

> Thunderbird was a barely adequate newsreader when it was part of
> Netscape Communicator. It hasn't really improved much for news since
> then.

Thunderbird was a barely adequate at anything last time I bothered to
look at it. It was absolutely *awful* - that was quite a few years ago,
and it could (hopefully) only really get better.

Joerg Lorenz

Aug 15, 2022, 3:07:50 AM8/15/22
Am 15.08.22 um 08:41 schrieb Your Name:
> On 2022-08-14 22:43:22 +0000, Bud Frede said:
>> Because most people don't know any better? :-)
>
> As proven by the fact that Windoze became and is still so widely used. :-)

Wrong: Mozilla Thunderbird is available for Windows, Mac and Linux and
this is one of the major reasons why I use Thunderbird. I use it on Mac
and Linux. I'll touch Windows only when I get paid for it very well.

>> Thunderbird was a barely adequate newsreader when it was part of
>> Netscape Communicator. It hasn't really improved much for news since
>> then.
>
> Thunderbird was a barely adequate at anything last time I bothered to
> look at it. It was absolutely *awful* - that was quite a few years ago,
> and it could (hopefully) only really get better.

How so often you miss the point completely. Apple Mail is such a
kindergarten-crap everything else is better and more useful.

nospam

Aug 15, 2022, 6:27:22 AM8/15/22
In article <tdcpps$1fv2$1...@gioia.aioe.org>, Your Name
<Your...@YourISP.com> wrote:

> Thunderbird was a barely adequate at anything last time I bothered to
> look at it. It was absolutely *awful* - that was quite a few years ago,
> and it could (hopefully) only really get better.

it didn't.

gtr

Aug 18, 2022, 1:48:27 AM8/18/22
Interesting. One should note that these represent people who posts messages,
not those who simply read them.

John

Oct 3, 2022, 12:45:43 AM10/3/22
The current version of Thunderbird has a major bug. You cannot load a
list of newsgroups from the server on either Mac or PC versions of it.
Must go back to version 91 in order to do it.

John

Oct 3, 2022, 12:47:55 AM10/3/22
So in effect news is totally non op on it. A pretty major and
embarrassing bug. And yes I checked there is a bug report on it.

Joerg Lorenz

Oct 3, 2022, 1:44:19 AM10/3/22
Am 03.10.22 um 06:45 schrieb John:
Works perfectly on 102.3.1 (64-Bit). It would have never been released
if that would not work.

John

Oct 3, 2022, 2:16:13 PM10/3/22
Then why is there a bug report. 102.3 will work if the newsgroups were
downloaded previously on version 91 before the 102 upgrade. Do A clean
install of either the Mac or PC version and then download a list of
newsgroups does not work. It just stalls. It is a known issue.

Joerg Lorenz

Oct 3, 2022, 4:41:34 PM10/3/22
Am 03.10.22 um 20:16 schrieb John:
> On 10/2/2022 10:44 PM, Joerg Lorenz wrote:
>> Am 03.10.22 um 06:45 schrieb John:
>>> The current version of Thunderbird has a major bug. You cannot load a
>>> list of newsgroups from the server on either Mac or PC versions of it.
>>> Must go back to version 91 in order to do it.
>>
>> Works perfectly on 102.3.1 (64-Bit). It would have never been released
>> if that would not work.
>>

> Then why is there a bug report. 102.3 will work if the newsgroups were
> downloaded previously on version 91 before the 102 upgrade.

Wrong. I updated the list this morning and added two new groups on 102.
I do not know what is behind the bug reports. I never saw complaints or
anything in this direction in German or English speaking Mozilla or TB
groups.

Joerg Lorenz

Oct 3, 2022, 4:45:26 PM10/3/22
Am 03.10.22 um 20:16 schrieb John:
> Then why is there a bug report. 102.3 will work if the newsgroups were
> downloaded previously on version 91 before the 102 upgrade. Do A clean
> install of either the Mac or PC version and then download a list of
> newsgroups does not work. It just stalls. It is a known issue.

You are an anonymous Troll lacking any credibility:

John

Oct 3, 2022, 5:20:05 PM10/3/22
No trolling at all. 102 would not work on this PC. So I installed 91
because it is needed to download newsgroups. I investigated the problem
throughly and found a bug reports and discussion on it confirming it.
Try a clean install of 102 on either a Mac or PC that did not have
Thunderbird previously and you will be easily able to duplicate it.

John

Oct 3, 2022, 5:21:38 PM10/3/22
You updated a list that was previously downloaded on 91. Just as I told
you it worked. Now try downloading a new list on a clean install. It
does not work. All you get is a stall.