Can't connect to MacBook

Connor Shannon

Jan 14, 2024, 3:02:43 PMJan 14
Not too often I want to copy a file from my iMac to my MacBook. I just tried but I couldn't connect to the MacBook from my iMac it said server not available or something like that. So I went to the MacBook and I can connect to the iMac and move files.

They're both on the same wifi network and they're both running Sonoma. I got a new iMac a few months ago and I think I had this problem after that. I looked at the settings on my Macbook and yes file sharing is turned on. How come it works one direction but not the other??

Colour Sergeant Bourne

Jan 14, 2024, 4:05:26 PMJan 14
On 1/14/24 3:02 PM, Connor Shannon wrote:
> Not too often I want to copy a file from my iMac to my MacBook. I just tried but I couldn't connect to the MacBook from my iMac it said server not available or something like that. So I went to the MacBook and I can connect to the iMac and move files.
>
> They're both on the same wifi network and they're both running Sonoma. I got a new iMac a few months ago and I think I had this problem after that. I looked at the settings on my Macbook and yes file sharing is turned on. How come it works one direction but not the other??

In the iMac Finder, select/right-click on the file you want to copy to
the MacBook, hit share, hit AirDrop, select/click on the MacBook.

You should hear a beep when it copies to the MacBook Downloads folder.

--
Because we're here lad. Nobody else. Just us.

Connor Shannon

Jan 14, 2024, 5:26:52 PMJan 14
I don't know if that will work b'cuz the iMac can't find the MacBook but anyway I want the whole MacBook to show up on the iMac so I can copy more than one file and put them right where I want. It works the other direction.

Percival John Hackworth

Jan 14, 2024, 5:48:41 PMJan 14
On Jan 14, 2024 at 2:26:49 PM PST, "Connor Shannon" <cshann...@gmail.com>
wrote:
Have you turned on File Sharing in System Settings > General > Sharing?

Connor Shannon

Jan 14, 2024, 9:11:53 PMJan 14
from before: "I looked at the settings on my Macbook and yes file sharing is turned on."

John

Jan 15, 2024, 6:11:10 AMJan 15
On Sun, 14 Jan 2024 18:11:51 -0800 (PST), Connor Shannon
<cshann...@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Sunday, January 14, 2024 at 2:48:41?PM UTC-8, Percival John Hackworth wrote:
>> On Jan 14, 2024 at 2:26:49?PM PST, "Connor Shannon" <cshann...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>> > I don't know if that will work b'cuz the iMac can't find the MacBook but
>> > anyway I want the whole MacBook to show up on the iMac so I can copy more than
>> > one file and put them right where I want. It works the other direction.
>> Have you turned on File Sharing in System Settings > General > Sharing?
>> --
>> DeeDee, don't press that button! DeeDee! NO! Dee...
>
>from before: "I looked at the settings on my Macbook and yes file sharing is turned on."

A very stupid question if I may?

Is "File Sharing" turned on on the iMac, too?

Are the folders and files you want to copy marked as sharable?

J.

Jolly Roger

Jan 15, 2024, 7:48:41 PMJan 15
How are each of these computers connected to the local network? Are they
using DHCP or static IP addresses? It's possible the MacBook's IP
address changed, but the iMac's Finder still has its old address cached.

Next time this happens try running this command in a terminal window
from an administrator account on the affected computer (it will ask for
your macOS user password):

sudo killall mDNSResponder

Alternatively, just try rebooting the affected computer.

JR

Connor Shannon

Jan 20, 2024, 8:14:05 PMJan 20
Well yes or I couldn't connect to it.

> Are the folders and files you want to copy marked as sharable?

They all are I'm the admin.

Connor Shannon

Jan 20, 2024, 8:15:47 PMJan 20
On Monday, January 15, 2024 at 4:48:41 PM UTC-8, Jolly Roger wrote:
> On 2024-01-14, Connor Shannon <cshann...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Not too often I want to copy a file from my iMac to my MacBook. I just
> > tried but I couldn't connect to the MacBook from my iMac it said
> > server not available or something like that. So I went to the MacBook
> > and I can connect to the iMac and move files.
> >
> > They're both on the same wifi network and they're both running Sonoma.
> > I got a new iMac a few months ago and I think I had this problem after
> > that. I looked at the settings on my Macbook and yes file sharing is
> > turned on. How come it works one direction but not the other??
> How are each of these computers connected to the local network? Are they
> using DHCP or static IP addresses? It's possible the MacBook's IP
> address changed, but the iMac's Finder still has its old address cached.

That was a good question but I checked and yes they're both DHCP and both on the same router.

> Next time this happens try running this command in a terminal window
> from an administrator account on the affected computer (it will ask for
> your macOS user password):
>
> sudo killall mDNSResponder
>
> Alternatively, just try rebooting the affected computer.

Hmmm okay I'll try that.

Jolly Roger

Jan 21, 2024, 2:03:55 AMJan 21
On 2024-01-21, Connor Shannon <cshann...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Monday, January 15, 2024 at 4:48:41 PM UTC-8, Jolly Roger wrote:
>> On 2024-01-14, Connor Shannon <cshann...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Not too often I want to copy a file from my iMac to my MacBook. I
>> > just tried but I couldn't connect to the MacBook from my iMac it
>> > said server not available or something like that. So I went to the
>> > MacBook and I can connect to the iMac and move files.
>> >
>> > They're both on the same wifi network and they're both running
>> > Sonoma. I got a new iMac a few months ago and I think I had this
>> > problem after that. I looked at the settings on my Macbook and yes
>> > file sharing is turned on. How come it works one direction but not
>> > the other??
>>
>> How are each of these computers connected to the local network? Are
>> they using DHCP or static IP addresses? It's possible the MacBook's
>> IP address changed, but the iMac's Finder still has its old address
>> cached.
>
> That was a good question but I checked and yes they're both DHCP and
> both on the same router.

DHCP servers can dole out new IP addresses whenever they like. If the
Finder had an old address cached, then that could explain the behavior
you described.

Connor Shannon

Jan 22, 2024, 12:23:47 AMJan 22
Hmmm I dunno but I restarted the MacBook and now it's on the iMac desktop! Just "one of those things" i guess...thanks for the idea to restart.

Your Name

Jan 22, 2024, 4:17:41 PMJan 22
A simple reboot can and does often fix weird problems, despite what
some people like to claim.