File Not Found mystery...

TDH1978

Apr 22, 2023, 7:59:00 PM4/22/23
I have scanned 50 documents, and saved the JPEG and PDF files in a
folder on my desktop. However, when I double-clicked on any file (JPEG
or PDF) in the folder, I would get a pop-up window saying "File Not
Found". If I then closed the pop-up window and double-clicked on the
file again, it would open the file properly in Preview.

However, if I picked a file and right-clicked on it and chose "Open
with Preview", this problem did not happen. It happened only when I
'double-clicked' on the file for the 'first' time.

This applied to all 50 files, without exception.

Does anyone know what was going on? I cannot reproduce this problem
since all 50 files now open properly in Preview. If it is a bug, is it
a bug in Finder or Preview?

Using macOS Ventura 13.2.1 on 2023 16" M2 MacBook Pro.

Alan

Apr 22, 2023, 8:23:44 PM4/22/23
Are you using iCloud Drive to backup/syncronize your Desktop folder by
any chance?

TDH1978

Apr 22, 2023, 8:58:31 PM4/22/23
On 2023-04-23 00:23:39 +0000, Alan said:

> Are you using iCloud Drive to backup/syncronize your Desktop folder by
> any chance?

No.

Alan Browne

Apr 23, 2023, 9:50:13 AM4/23/23
On 2023-04-22 19:58, TDH1978 wrote:
> I have scanned 50 documents, and saved the JPEG and PDF files in a
> folder on my desktop.  However, when I double-clicked on any file (JPEG
> or PDF) in the folder, I would get a pop-up window saying "File Not
> Found".  If I then closed the pop-up window and double-clicked on the
> file again, it would open the file properly in Preview.

What app did you use to scan the docs?

> However, if I picked a file and right-clicked on it and chose "Open with
> Preview", this problem did not happen.  It happened only when I
> 'double-clicked' on the file for the 'first' time.
>
> This applied to all 50 files, without exception.
>
> Does anyone know what was going on?  I cannot reproduce this problem
> since all 50 files now open properly in Preview.  If it is a bug, is it
> a bug in Finder or Preview?
>
> Using macOS Ventura 13.2.1 on 2023 16" M2 MacBook Pro.

I. Point at one of the files in Finder and right click and then "Get Info".

What is the "Open with" app?

II. If you install Acrobat Reader, do the PDF's open with Acrobat reader?

--
“Donald Trump and his allies and supporters are a clear and present
danger to American democracy.”

TDH1978

Apr 23, 2023, 1:48:53 PM4/23/23
On 2023-04-23 13:50:08 +0000, Alan Browne said:

> What app did you use to scan the docs?

The Canon scan utilities provided by Canon for their scanners.

> I. Point at one of the files in Finder and right click and then "Get Info".
>
> What is the "Open with" app?

Preview.

> II. If you install Acrobat Reader, do the PDF's open with Acrobat reader?

I don't have Acrobat Reader installed.