What to do if you think your Mac has a virus!

David Brooks

Jul 26, 2022, 5:41:40 PM7/26/22
What to do if you think your Mac has a virus:-

Mac malware is rare, but it does exist. Here's how to get a free virus
scan to check for malware on your Mac, how to get rid of Mac viruses for
free, and how to avoid getting infected in the first place.

https://www.macworld.com/article/671430/how-remove-virus-mac.html

HTH

Alan

Jul 26, 2022, 7:14:18 PM7/26/22
On 2022-07-26 14:41, David Brooks wrote:
> What to do if you think your Mac has a virus:-

First of all, and most importantly:

Never pay attention to you at all.

nospam

Jul 26, 2022, 7:57:30 PM7/26/22
why wait for a virus to do that?

David Brooks

Jul 27, 2022, 2:48:21 AM7/27/22
Hear what someone else has said:-

In May 2021 Apple’s software chief Craig Federighi took the stand at the
Apple vs Epic trial and said that: “Today, we have a level of malware on
the Mac that we don’t find acceptable.”

https://www.macworld.com/article/670537/do-macs-need-antivirus.html

David Brooks

Jul 27, 2022, 4:32:15 AM7/27/22
Pay heed here then!

https://github.com/community/community/discussions/27266

Please discuss!

Joerg Lorenz

Jul 27, 2022, 4:19:48 PM7/27/22
Am 26.07.22 um 23:41 schrieb David Brooks:
I hardened my Mac in a way that I never have to care about malware or
paid content on macworld.

--
Gutta cavat lapidem (Ovid)

Joerg Lorenz

Jul 27, 2022, 4:21:08 PM7/27/22
Am 27.07.22 um 08:48 schrieb David Brooks:
> https://www.macworld.com/article/670537/do-macs-need-antivirus.html

No, they don't.

David Brooks

Jul 27, 2022, 4:25:07 PM7/27/22
Thank you for so advising, Joerg.

Please share with other readers what YOU have done.

(For MY part, on one of my Macs, I have installed Linux Mint! That has
'hardened it against Mac malware!)

nospam

Jul 27, 2022, 4:34:45 PM7/27/22
In article <yahEK.968862$i8Z9....@fx09.ams1>, David Brooks
<nom...@afraid.org> wrote:

> (For MY part, on one of my Macs, I have installed Linux Mint! That has
> 'hardened it against Mac malware!)

and opened it up to linux malware.

Joerg Lorenz

Jul 27, 2022, 4:40:35 PM7/27/22
Am 27.07.22 um 22:34 schrieb nospam:
The superstupid Trolls can even achieve this ...

Bob Campbell

Jul 27, 2022, 11:20:12 PM7/27/22
Super Stupid Troll describes David perfectly.

Your Name

Jul 28, 2022, 3:10:43 AM7/28/22
What to do if you think your Mac has a virus: Think again!
It's most likely not malware, but some other software or hardware issue
causing a problem.

All the malware reported on the Mac is done so by anti-malware makers
to sell their product, most of it nothing but theoretical. Almost
nothing is ever actually found in real life, and even the extremely
rare times when it is it's due to the user doing something incredibly
stupid (visiting porn websites, installing pirate software, etc.). For
any normal user, the chances of their Mac getting infected by malware
is virtually zero.

David Brooks

Jul 28, 2022, 4:32:59 AM7/28/22
On 28/07/2022 08:10, Your Name responded with his/her thoughts!

> On 2022-07-26 21:41:35 +0000, David Brooks showed folk a magazine article
>>
>> What to do if you think your Mac has a virus:- https://www.macworld.com/article/671430/how-remove-virus-mac.html

>> Mac malware is rare, but it does exist. Here's how to get a free virus
>> scan to check for malware on your Mac, how to get rid of Mac viruses
>> for free, and how to avoid getting infected in the first place.
>>
>> https://www.macworld.com/article/671430/how-remove-virus-mac.html
>>
>> HTH
>
> What to do if you think your Mac has a virus: Think again!
> It's most likely not malware, but some other software or hardware issue
> causing a problem.

With Apple computers, I completely agree. :-)

> All the malware reported on the Mac is done so by anti-malware makers to
> sell their product, most of it nothing but theoretical. Almost nothing
> is ever actually found in real life, and even the extremely rare times
> when it is it's due to the user doing something incredibly stupid
> (visiting porn websites, installing pirate software, etc.). For any
> normal user, the chances of their Mac getting infected by malware is
> virtually zero.

Virtually, yes, but one still needs to be careful.

The Internet is like the wild, wild, west - of 'Cowboys and Indians' times!

Joerg Lorenz

Jul 28, 2022, 4:38:12 AM7/28/22
Am 28.07.22 um 10:32 schrieb David Brooks:
> On 28/07/2022 08:10, Your Name responded with his/her thoughts!
>
>> On 2022-07-26 21:41:35 +0000, David Brooks showed folk a magazine article
>>>
>>> What to do if you think your Mac has a virus:- https://www.macworld.com/article/671430/how-remove-virus-mac.html
>
>>> Mac malware is rare, but it does exist. Here's how to get a free virus
>>> scan to check for malware on your Mac, how to get rid of Mac viruses
>>> for free, and how to avoid getting infected in the first place.
>>>
>>> https://www.macworld.com/article/671430/how-remove-virus-mac.html
>>>
>>> HTH
>>
>> What to do if you think your Mac has a virus: Think again!
>> It's most likely not malware, but some other software or hardware issue
>> causing a problem.
>
> With Apple computers, I completely agree. :-)

The same is true for Linux and in most of the cases for Windows.

Do you believe you are more secure because you installed Mint on one of
your Macs?

David Brooks

Jul 28, 2022, 4:54:16 AM7/28/22
On 28/07/2022 09:38, Joerg Lorenz wrote:
> Am 28.07.22 um 10:32 schrieb David Brooks:
>> On 28/07/2022 08:10, Your Name responded with his/her thoughts!
>>
>>> On 2022-07-26 21:41:35 +0000, David Brooks showed folk a magazine article

>>> What to do if you think your Mac has a virus: Think again!
>>> It's most likely not malware, but some other software or hardware issue
>>> causing a problem.
>>
>> With Apple computers, I completely agree. :-)
>
> The same is true for Linux and in most of the cases for Windows.

With Windows 10 and 11 I'll agree. I've used most versions since 3.1

> Do you believe you are more secure because you installed Mint on one of
> your Macs?

Security had nothing to do with my decision! Older machines are limited
to older macOS - I wish to remain at the forefront with my operating
system and that was impossible with the older hardware.

nospam

Jul 28, 2022, 5:00:56 AM7/28/22
In article <tbtcpe$4kk$2...@gioia.aioe.org>, Your Name
<Your...@YourISP.com> wrote:

> All the malware reported on the Mac is done so by anti-malware makers
> to sell their product, most of it nothing but theoretical. Almost
> nothing is ever actually found in real life, and even the extremely
> rare times when it is it's due to the user doing something incredibly
> stupid (visiting porn websites, installing pirate software, etc.). For
> any normal user, the chances of their Mac getting infected by malware
> is virtually zero.

very much false.

Joerg Lorenz

Jul 28, 2022, 5:27:09 AM7/28/22
Am 28.07.22 um 11:00 schrieb nospam:
It depends.

David Brooks

Jul 28, 2022, 6:41:21 AM7/28/22
Why isn't ClamXAV a contender?

https://www.av-comparatives.org/tests/mac-security-test-review-2022/

Do YOU agree that ClamXAV is 'snake oil'?

David Brooks

Jul 28, 2022, 6:42:11 AM7/28/22
On what?

nospam

Jul 28, 2022, 10:08:40 AM7/28/22
In article <gJtEK.800990$70_9....@fx10.ams1>, David Brooks
because they didn't pay to be included. it's basically advertising and
not unique to antivirus.

David Brooks

Jul 28, 2022, 10:16:45 AM7/28/22
I accept your answer. Thank you.

What do YOU think of this?

https://github.com/community/community/discussions/27266

I did once question them on Facebook. They are (I think) Israeli secret
service folk!

nospam

Jul 28, 2022, 10:29:44 AM7/28/22
In article <dTwEK.509226$B0_9....@fx13.ams1>, David Brooks
<nom...@afraid.org> wrote:

> I did once question them on Facebook. They are (I think) Israeli secret
> service folk!

they're too busy working on space lasers.

David Brooks

Jul 28, 2022, 10:35:00 AM7/28/22
There's a message for you here:-

Joerg Lorenz

Jul 28, 2022, 10:39:28 AM7/28/22
Am 28.07.22 um 12:41 schrieb David Brooks:
They did not pay for inclusion in these "$tests$".
They are not better than the rest, performance wise probably less.

David Brooks

Jul 28, 2022, 10:46:15 AM7/28/22
I accept what you say.

You've not been 'here' very long. You may have missed this thread:-

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/ramnit-trojan-on-imac-aol-disk-from-2008-false/e18cc0a4-5895-412e-9306-e565d2571849

Joerg Lorenz

Jul 28, 2022, 1:17:51 PM7/28/22
Am 28.07.22 um 16:46 schrieb David Brooks:
And this tool arrived on the Mac by osmosis? And how relevant are such
very old stories for the disucssion here?

David Brooks

Jul 28, 2022, 1:47:28 PM7/28/22
> very old stories for the discussion here?

By "tool" do you mean ClamXAV?

It's relevant because the product - snake oil - is STILL being sold to
unwary users.

How can we put a stop to that?

Alan

Jul 28, 2022, 1:54:14 PM7/28/22
On 2022-07-28 10:47, David Brooks wrote:
> On 28/07/2022 18:17, Joerg Lorenz wrote:
>>>
>>> I accept what you say.
>>>
>>> You've not been 'here' very long. You  may have missed this thread:-
>>>
>>> https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/ramnit-trojan-on-imac-aol-disk-from-2008-false/e18cc0a4-5895-412e-9306-e565d2571849
>>>

>> And this tool arrived on the Mac by osmosis? And how relevant are such
>> very old stories for the discussion here?
>
> By "tool" do you mean ClamXAV?

By "tool" he means you.

As in, "You're a complete tool"

Your Name

Jul 28, 2022, 4:45:18 PM7/28/22
As above, only if you do stupid things, in which case it's your own
fault. None of the supposed malware has ever been found on Macs of
normal average users.

Your Name

Jul 28, 2022, 4:48:27 PM7/28/22
On whether you're a know-nothing like "nospam" posting nonsense or not.

nospam

Jul 28, 2022, 5:27:55 PM7/28/22
In article <tbusgl$1i23$1...@gioia.aioe.org>, Your Name
<Your...@YourISP.com> wrote:

> As above, only if you do stupid things, in which case it's your own
> fault. None of the supposed malware has ever been found on Macs of
> normal average users.

that's false.

one example was many years ago, when an ios developer site was
compromised, and even people *within* *apple* were affected.

David Brooks

Jul 28, 2022, 5:59:14 PM7/28/22
On 28/07/2022 21:48, TimS wrote:
> Why are any of you responding to this well-known troll?

Take heed .........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwaQRTo1Efo

Joerg Lorenz

Jul 29, 2022, 1:17:21 AM7/29/22
Am 28.07.22 um 23:27 schrieb nospam:
That is a completely different ball game.

nospam

Jul 29, 2022, 8:28:52 AM7/29/22
In article <tbvqgs$tb6u$1...@solani.org>, Joerg Lorenz <hugy...@gmx.ch>
wrote:

> >> As above, only if you do stupid things, in which case it's your own
> >> fault. None of the supposed malware has ever been found on Macs of
> >> normal average users.
> >
> > that's false.
> >
> > one example was many years ago, when an ios developer site was
> > compromised, and even people *within* *apple* were affected.
>
> That is a completely different ball game.

nope. it's proof that it can happen to anyone.

Joerg Lorenz

Jul 29, 2022, 11:17:35 AM7/29/22
Am 29.07.22 um 14:28 schrieb nospam:
This proof for exactly nothing.

Gremlin

Aug 9, 2022, 8:50:57 PM8/9/22
Alan <nuh...@nope.com> news:tbpsg6$28ll5$1...@dont-email.me Tue, 26 Jul 2022
23:14:14 GMT in alt.computer.workshop, wrote:

> On 2022-07-26 14:41, David Brooks wrote:
>> What to do if you think your Mac has a virus:-
>
> First of all, and most importantly:
>
> Never pay attention to you at all.

Agreed :)

David B.

Dec 31, 2023, 7:55:18 PM12/31/23
And YOU would check an Apple computer for malware HOW, Gremlin?

Your Name

Dec 31, 2023, 10:38:56 PM12/31/23

Replying to a 18 month old message, wrote:

> And YOU would check an Apple computer for malware HOW, Gremlin?

As far as I've ever found using Apple computers since the days of the
Apple II, *ALL* reports of Mac malware are highly exaggerated and
theoretical. The reports are always posted by the anti-malware app
makers to fool the unwary into buying their crap software or by
know-nothing trolls ... either way it's simply idiotic scaremongering.

Never once in all these years have I ever personally seen nor heard of
anyone in the real world who actually has malware on their Mac ... and
I have to help some real numbnut novices who will happily click on any
link and type in their admin password without a second thought.

Gremlin

Jan 1, 2024, 12:31:28 AMJan 1
David B. <b...@nomail.afraid.org> news:kvegrg...@mid.individual.net Mon,
Why have you responded to a post from August 2022, David? It's nearly 2024
now. In some places, it is 2024 now. David, my boy, you don't get things
both ways. You specifically stated that you do not trust me. As a result, I
would simply be wasting my personal free time answering any technical
question you ask of me. I've helped you out asking for nothing in return,
more than I should have already - I do not wish to continue doing that.

--
My entire life can be summed up in one sentence...
"Well, that didn't fucking go as planned."

Snit

Jan 1, 2024, 12:50:42 AMJan 1
You’ve been repeating stuff for what seems like just as long!

somehow superior by attacking the messenger.

Chris Schram

Jan 1, 2024, 4:00:25 AMJan 1
On 2024-01-01, Your Name <Your...@YourISP.com> wrote:

> As far as I've ever found using Apple computers since the days of the
> Apple II, *ALL* reports of Mac malware are highly exaggerated and
> theoretical. The reports are always posted by the anti-malware app
> makers to fool the unwary into buying their crap software or by
> know-nothing trolls ... either way it's simply idiotic scaremongering.
>
> Never once in all these years have I ever personally seen nor heard of
> anyone in the real world who actually has malware on their Mac ... and
> I have to help some real numbnut novices who will happily click on any
> link and type in their admin password without a second thought.

I have been using Macs since I inherited a hand-me-down Fat Mac in 1988.
I upgraded the hardware until it was mostly equivalent to the Mac Plus
of the day.

Under System 6 I actually *DID* encounter viruses on, if memory serves,
two occasions. Once I received a pirated floppy disk of a popular game.
I automatically ran the latest version of Disinfectant on it, and it was
infected with "Scores." No Mac viruses in the '80s were particularly
harmful, but Scores has a reputation of spreading rapidly.

There were also boot-sector viruses that spread merely by inserting a
floppy disk. The second instance of me encountering a Mac virus was
probably one of those. I had to go into work on a Saturday to do
something on the company's only Mac II. Before I got to work I ran
Disinfectant, and the computer was infected. I cleaned it up and ran
Disinfectant again, and it tested clean. After a while someone else came
in to use the Mac II. I yielded, and came back later to find the other
user had re-infected the Mac.

I always kept the most current version of Disinfectant on a locked
floppy disk.

Back in System 6 days, viruses were generally passed around on floppy
disks or downloaded from dial-up BBSs. By the time System 7 was
introduced, the Internet was becoming more of a thing for casual users,
and Apple started making it harder for viruses to work their evil.

Much to Disinfectant author John Norstad's chagrin, Northwestern
University licensed the program to McAfee, whose first version under its
new master looked, except for visual branding, just like Norstad's
program. Disinfectant, a great product, was effectively dead.

--
ATTN Google Groups users: I filter out your posts and will not see them.
chri...@me.com is an infrequently monitored address. Email may get lost.

David B.

Jan 1, 2024, 5:14:21 AMJan 1
On 1 Jan 2024 at 03:38:50 GMT, "Your Name" <Your...@YourISP.com> wrote:

> On 2024-01-01 00:55:12 +0000, David B.asked ....
> Replying to a 18 month old message, wrote:
>
>> And YOU would check an Apple computer for malware HOW, Gremlin?
>
> As far as I've ever found using Apple computers since the days of the
> Apple II, *ALL* reports of Mac malware are highly exaggerated and
> theoretical. The reports are always posted by the anti-malware app
> makers to fool the unwary into buying their crap software or by
> know-nothing trolls ... either way it's simply idiotic scaremongering.

It's SO good to hear someone else agree that ClamXAV *IS* a scam!

Do NOT believe what you read here:- www.clamxav.com

> Never once in all these years have I ever personally seen nor heard of
> anyone in the real world who actually has malware on their Mac ... and
> I have to help some real numbnut novices who will happily click on any
> link and type in their admin password without a second thought.

Their website was made by a company called 'daysix'.

As you can see here:-

https://i.ibb.co/PwNBBTp/Screenshot-2023-10-17-at-19-34-10.png

(Bottom left) the website was actually constucted by 'daysix' - www.daysix.co
(note the domain)

This company is also located in Edinburgh, not far from Mark Allan. They also
use Apple computers!

https://i.ibb.co/m8fLbF4/Screenshot-2023-12-20-at-08-42-06.png

I wrote to 'daysix' politely to ask them if they use the ClamXAV anti-malware
software on their computers, but they did not respond.
It would be most helpful if someone else were to ask them their views!

--
Happy New Year to all readers! :-)

David B.

Jan 1, 2024, 5:24:25 AMJan 1
I don't expect you to know the answers to my Apple questions, Dustin.

I am fully aware that if I load ClamXAV onto my Apple iMac then there will be
constant communication between my computer and the ClamXAV server.
In effect, I will have provided that very 'back door' which every malicious
hacker is seeking. I will have no idea at all what mischief may be being
carried out behind the scenes, as it were. No every-day computer user will
have any clue about any surrupticious activity. Indeed, who would ever bother
to check?!!

Kelly Phillips

Jan 1, 2024, 1:38:04 PMJan 1
On 1 Jan 2024 10:14:16 GMT, David B. <b...@nomail.afraid.org> wrote:

>Do NOT believe what you read here:- www.clamxav.com
>
>Their website was made by a company called 'daysix'.
>
>As you can see here:-
>
>https://i.ibb.co/PwNBBTp/Screenshot-2023-10-17-at-19-34-10.png
>
>(Bottom left) the website was actually constucted by 'daysix' - www.daysix.co
> (note the domain)
>
>This company is also located in Edinburgh, not far from Mark Allan. They also
>use Apple computers!
>
>https://i.ibb.co/m8fLbF4/Screenshot-2023-12-20-at-08-42-06.png
>
>I wrote to 'daysix' politely to ask them if they use the ClamXAV anti-malware
>software on their computers, but they did not respond.
>It would be most helpful if someone else were to ask them their views!

Pssst, David, your mental illness is showing. Just thought you'd want to know.

David B.

Jan 1, 2024, 5:54:52 PMJan 1
On 1 Jan 2024 at 03:38:50 GMT, "Your Name" <Your...@YourISP.com> wrote:

Have you read here? Message-ID:
<0001HW.2B436F3801...@news.supernews.com>

The man's mad!

http://al.howardknight.net/?ID=170414963600

Denodster

Jan 1, 2024, 8:40:09 PMJan 1
In article <umtuv4$lonq$1...@solani.org>, Chris Schram <chri...@me.com> wrote:

> Under System 6 I actually *DID* encounter viruses on, if memory serves,
> two occasions. Once I received a pirated floppy disk of a popular game.
> I automatically ran the latest version of Disinfectant on it, and it was
> infected with "Scores." No Mac viruses in the '80s were particularly
> harmful, but Scores has a reputation of spreading rapidly.d's
> program. Disinfectant, a great product, was effectively dead.

Yes, back in the day there were a lot of floppy disk viruses, I ran the
Disinfectant INIT for this reason.

I've encoun,tered all the following:
nVIR,
WDEF,
CDEF,
and Scores.

Those old viruses were kind of amazing, all it took was inserting an
infected floppy and your system was infected. You didn't even need to run
any software on it. Then your infected system would infect any floppy you
inserted, so cleanup was a huge time suck.

Disinfectant has a summary of every known mac virus at the time in the
help file. It has each virus Name, history, origin, mode of infection,
possible damage, etc. It is fun reading if this sort of thing interests
you.

Gremlin

Jan 4, 2024, 9:03:53 PMJan 4
Snit <Brock.M...@gmail.com> news:NoskN.50963$JLvf....@fx44.iad Mon,
01 Jan 2024 05:50:37 GMT in alt.computer.workshop, wrote:

> Gremlin <nob...@haph.org> wrote:
>> David B. <b...@nomail.afraid.org> news:kvegrg...@mid.individual.net

>>> And YOU would check an Apple computer for malware HOW, Gremlin?
>>
>> Why have you responded to a post from August 2022, David? It's nearly
>> 2024 now. In some places, it is 2024 now. David, my boy, you don't get
>> things both ways. You specifically stated that you do not trust me. As
>> a result, I would simply be wasting my personal free time answering any
>> technical question you ask of me. I've helped you out asking for
>> nothing in return, more than I should have already - I do not wish to
>> continue doing that.
>>

> You’ve been repeating stuff for what seems like just as long!

Awe. Don't you have court dates to concern yourself with, mr stalker? ROFL

Gremlin

Jan 4, 2024, 9:03:53 PMJan 4
David B. <b...@nomail.afraid.org> news:kvfi6l...@mid.individual.net
Mon, 01 Jan 2024 10:24:21 GMT in alt.computer.workshop, wrote:

> On 1 Jan 2024 at 05:31:23 GMT, "Gremlin" <nob...@haph.org> wrote:
>
>> David B. <b...@nomail.afraid.org> news:kvegrg...@mid.individual.net

>>> And YOU would check an Apple computer for malware HOW, Gremlin?
>>
>> Why have you responded to a post from August 2022, David? It's nearly
>> 2024 now. In some places, it is 2024 now. David, my boy, you don't get
>> things both ways. You specifically stated that you do not trust me. As
>> a result, I would simply be wasting my personal free time answering any
>> technical question you ask of me. I've helped you out asking for
>> nothing in return, more than I should have already - I do not wish to
>> continue doing that.
>
> I don't expect you to know the answers to my Apple questions, Dustin.

Which is why you specifically asked me, right, David? Go ahead, try your
nonsensical bullshit with a newbie. Perhaps snit would fall for it?

> I am fully aware that if I load ClamXAV onto my Apple iMac then there
> will be constant communication between my computer and the ClamXAV
> server.

You are laughingly, misinformed.

> In effect, I will have provided that very 'back door' which
> every malicious hacker is seeking.

Tell us that you have no idea what the fuck you're writing about, without
actually telling us. :)

> I will have no idea at all what mischief may be being carried out behind
> the scenes, as it were.

It's expected that you wouldn't have a clue. That's a given. But, the
product has been peer reviewed and taken to pieces by the competition on
more than one occasion; it's something that's routine and quite common in
that scene. Vx did it to AV and AV did it to other Av and VX alike.

So again, you are writing completely from your asshole, David.
If there was anything nefarious, it would have been tagged a long time ago
by people like myself, who actually do have the expertise to be able to
determine that.

Some people said the same complete bullshit about my BugHunter program; at
no time did any of the naysayers comments ever prove to have held water at
any point in time during the programs entire lifetime. Despite efforts by
lamers like you to besmirch it, it never contained a single line of
malicious code; never trashed so much as one fucking system.

> No every-day computer user will have any clue about any surrupticious
> activity. Indeed, who would ever bother to check?!!

David, the solution is quite simple. Just don't use the product. You're the
only person I've ever heard of who takes such a paranoid viewpoint about it,
and for the longest time couldn't understand what a false positive was. You
wanted to argue about that too and refused to listen to reason. This is no
different. The program is fine, you're the issue.

Snit

Jan 4, 2024, 11:16:59 PMJan 4
No. I don’t. But you like to make up stories about my life.

Snit

Jan 4, 2024, 11:17:00 PMJan 4
Gremlin <nob...@haph.org> wrote:
> David B. <b...@nomail.afraid.org> news:kvfi6l...@mid.individual.net
> Mon, 01 Jan 2024 10:24:21 GMT in alt.computer.workshop, wrote:
>
>> On 1 Jan 2024 at 05:31:23 GMT, "Gremlin" <nob...@haph.org> wrote:
>>
>>> David B. <b...@nomail.afraid.org> news:kvegrg...@mid.individual.net

>>> Why have you responded to a post from August 2022, David? It's nearly
>>> 2024 now. In some places, it is 2024 now. David, my boy, you don't get
>>> things both ways. You specifically stated that you do not trust me. As
>>> a result, I would simply be wasting my personal free time answering any
>>> technical question you ask of me. I've helped you out asking for
>>> nothing in return, more than I should have already - I do not wish to
>>> continue doing that.
>>
>> I don't expect you to know the answers to my Apple questions, Dustin.
>
> Which is why you specifically asked me, right, David?

If you can answer just do it.

> Go ahead, try your
> nonsensical bullshit with a newbie. Perhaps snit would fall for it?

You can’t get me out of your mind.

>> I am fully aware that if I load ClamXAV onto my Apple iMac then there
>> will be constant communication between my computer and the ClamXAV
>> server.
>
> You are laughingly, misinformed.

There is communication each time you use it.

David B.

Jan 5, 2024, 3:19:22 AMJan 5
False!

>> In effect, I will have provided that very 'back door' which
>> every malicious hacker is seeking.
>

> Tell us that you have no idea what the fuck you're writing about, without
> actually telling us. :)
>
>> I will have no idea at all what mischief may be being carried out behind
>> the scenes, as it were.
>
> It's expected that you wouldn't have a clue. That's a given. But, the
> product has been peer reviewed and taken to pieces by the competition on
> more than one occasion; it's something that's routine and quite common in
> that scene. Vx did it to AV and AV did it to other Av and VX alike.
>
> So again, you are writing completely from your asshole, David.
> If there was anything nefarious, it would have been tagged a long time ago
> by people like myself, who actually do have the expertise to be able to
> determine that.

But you haven't LOOKED!

> Some people said the same complete bullshit about my BugHunter program; at
> no time did any of the naysayers comments ever prove to have held water at
> any point in time during the programs entire lifetime. Despite efforts by
> lamers like you to besmirch it, it never contained a single line of
> malicious code; never trashed so much as one fucking system.

David NEVER doubted your Bughunter software Dustin.

>> No every-day computer user will have any clue about any surrupticious
>> activity. Indeed, who would ever bother to check?!!
>
> David, the solution is quite simple. Just don't use the product. You're the
> only person I've ever heard of who takes such a paranoid viewpoint about it,
> and for the longest time couldn't understand what a false positive was. You
> wanted to argue about that too and refused to listen to reason. This is no
> different. The program is fine, you're the issue.

*That's what our Post Office told our sub-postmaters about Horizon*!

https://news.sky.com/story/mr-bates-vs-the-post-office-the-true-story-behind-drama-on-horizon-it-scandal-13042137

J. J. Lodder

Jan 5, 2024, 2:52:07 PMJan 5
David Brooks <nom...@afraid.org> wrote:

> What to do if you think your Mac has a virus:-

"Think Different."!

Jan

David B.

Jan 5, 2024, 3:22:03 PMJan 5
*Spot on*, Jan! :-)

What are your views of www.clamxav.com ?

Joerg Lorenz

Jan 6, 2024, 2:38:23 AMJan 6
*LOL*.
One last thing: Macs don't have viruses.

--
Sent with Betterbird by a Penguin.
Simply better. www.betterbird.eu

David B.

Jan 6, 2024, 2:48:19 AMJan 6
On 6 Jan 2024 at 07:38:18 GMT, "Joerg Lorenz" <hugy...@gmx.net> wrote:

> On 05.01.24 20:52, J. J. Lodder wrote:
>> David Brooks <nom...@afraid.org> wrote:
>>
>>> What to do if you think your Mac has a virus:-
>>
>> "Think Different."!
>
> *LOL*.
> One last thing: Macs don't have viruses.

Why are all these listed items "Hidden from sight" as it were?

https://i.ibb.co/CvJXz00/Screenshot-2024-01-04-at-21-46-07.png

I'm wondering if "viruses" could hide in the same way.

Do YOU use Howard Oakley's 'Mints' on YOUR computer, George?

J. J. Lodder

Jan 6, 2024, 4:38:16 AMJan 6
Joerg Lorenz <hugy...@gmx.net> wrote:

> On 05.01.24 20:52, J. J. Lodder wrote:
> > David Brooks <nom...@afraid.org> wrote:
> >
> >> What to do if you think your Mac has a virus:-
> >
> > "Think Different."!
>
> *LOL*.
> One last thing: Macs don't have viruses.

Right. That's why he needs to think different.

But it's not just that he is incapable of that,
he also lacks a sense of humour, and on top of that
he is so ignorant of Apple history
that he does not recognse a direct quote,

Jan

FromTheRafters

Jan 6, 2024, 5:25:11 AMJan 6
Joerg Lorenz was thinking very hard :
> On 05.01.24 20:52, J. J. Lodder wrote:
>> David Brooks <nom...@afraid.org> wrote:
>>
>>> What to do if you think your Mac has a virus:-
>>
>> "Think Different."!
>
> *LOL*.
> One last thing: Macs don't have viruses.

What online threats can affect Macs?

The kinds of malware that threaten Mac computers are similar to those
which affect Windows machines. They include:

Viruses

A virus is a malicious software program loaded onto a user's computer
without the user's knowledge that performs malicious actions. It can
self-replicate, inserting itself into other programs or files,
infecting them in the process. On macOS, viruses could be hidden in
Word document files. These threats can be enacted when you enable
macros.

Ransomware

This involves hackers taking over personal or potentially valuable
files and demanding payment in exchange for the files’ decryption or
release.

Adware

This malware takes over your computer, bombarding it with numerous ads
and pop-ups that can harm your device, track you, and slow down
performance.

Trojans

Trojan horses are a type of malware that trick you into downloading and
installing them by posing as something else. As a Mac owner, you might
become the target of a phishing scam trying to convince you to install
fake MacDefender, MacProtector, or MacSecurity software.

Rootkits

A rootkit is a type of malware designed to hide malicious activity on a
target device. For example, it can hide processes from monitoring tools
by intercepting system calls, so that the user remains unaware of those
processes.

Spyware

Spyware is a computer program that hackers can use to spy on you and
secretly follow your online activities. It works quietly in the
background and shares the monitored data with the virus’ creators.

Cryptomining malware

Cryptomining malware refers to a type of malware that uses your Mac's
computing power to mine cryptocurrencies for the attacker. This process
is sometimes also known as cryptojacking. Some cryptominers will also
dig into your browsers’ cookies to try to steal the contents of your
crypto wallets if you have any.

Phishing

Phishing is a form of social engineering which involves cybercriminals
impersonating a known entity or close connection to trick you into
revealing sensitive personal information that can be used for identity
fraud or financial theft.

PUPs

Potentially Unwanted Programs (PUPs) usually come bundled with other
software you download. Free browser add-ons or plug-ins can enable
browsers to play videos, music, or games using Java. Not all plug-ins
and add-ons are safe, and some may contain harmful malware or viruses.
The consequences of installing rogue plug-ins or add-ons can include
identity theft, data loss, and financial loss.
https://www.kaspersky.com/resource-center/preemptive-safety/can-macbooks-get-viruses

David B.

Jan 6, 2024, 6:23:42 AMJan 6
David has told you all this! ;-)

Do you BELIEVE it now?

David B.

Jan 6, 2024, 6:26:27 AMJan 6
Then help educate me, Jan!

And pay attention to what FromTheRafters is telling folk here!!!

FromTheRafters

Jan 6, 2024, 8:41:16 AMJan 6
David B. pretended :
I have never said otherwise, and I resent your implying that I have.

Jörg Lorenz

Jan 6, 2024, 10:18:10 AMJan 6
Who?

--
"Roma locuta, causa finita." (Augustinus)

David B.

Jan 6, 2024, 10:28:51 AMJan 6

David B.

Jan 6, 2024, 10:30:46 AMJan 6
On 6 Jan 2024 at 15:28:45 GMT, "David B." <b...@nomail.afraid.org> wrote:

> <unb9q2$iij5$1...@dont-email.me>

http://al.howardknight.net/?ID=170455500600

HTH

Jörg Lorenz

Jan 6, 2024, 12:34:09 PMJan 6
Am 06.01.24 um 16:30 schrieb David B.:
You did not get the message, David.

--
"Gutta cavat lapidem." (Ovid)

David B.

Jan 6, 2024, 2:58:48 PMJan 6
On 6 Jan 2024 at 17:34:04 GMT, "Jörg Lorenz" <hugy...@gmx.net> wrote:

> Am 06.01.24 um 16:30 schrieb David B.:
>> On 6 Jan 2024 at 15:28:45 GMT, "David B." <b...@nomail.afraid.org> wrote:
>>
>>> <unb9q2$iij5$1...@dont-email.me>
>>
>> http://al.howardknight.net/?ID=170455500600
>>
>> HTH
>
> You did not get the message, David.

Sorry. Please send it again.

David B.

Jan 6, 2024, 3:49:36 PMJan 6
Perhaps things would be better if you actually answered my questions.

If you REALLY believed in Mac Malware you'd be paying for protective software.
You've told me that you don't use such a thing. Why IS that, Rafters?

Your Name

Jan 6, 2024, 4:29:34 PMJan 6
On 2024-01-06 10:24:59 +0000, FromTheRafters said:

> Joerg Lorenz was thinking very hard :

>>> "Think Different."!
>>
>> *LOL*.
>> One last thing: Macs don't have viruses.

> What online threats can affect Macs?
>
> The kinds of malware that threaten Mac computers are similar to those
> which affect Windows machines.

Theoretically, yes.

In reality, no, for most of these.

> They include:
>
> Viruses
>
> A virus is a malicious software program loaded onto a user's computer
> without the user's knowledge that performs malicious actions. It can
> self-replicate, inserting itself into other programs or files,
> infecting them in the process. On macOS, viruses could be hidden in
> Word document files. These threats can be enacted when you enable
> macros.

Non-existant in the real world, unless you do something idiotic like
download pirated stuff and visit porn websites. For the "normal" user,
these are not a problem and reporting of them is basically theoretical
scaremongering by the anti-malware app sellers..

> Ransomware
>
> This involves hackers taking over personal or potentially valuable
> files and demanding payment in exchange for the files’ decryption or
> release.

As above: Non-existant in the real world.

> Adware
>
> This malware takes over your computer, bombarding it with numerous ads
> and pop-ups that can harm your device, track you, and slow down
> performance.

Adware is not malware - it is annoying, but doesn't do any actual
damage. The exception would be adware that is also a virus.

> Trojans
>
> Trojan horses are a type of malware that trick you into downloading and
> installing them by posing as something else. As a Mac owner, you might
> become the target of a phishing scam trying to convince you to install
> fake MacDefender, MacProtector, or MacSecurity software.

As above: Non-existant in the real world.

> Rootkits
>
> A rootkit is a type of malware designed to hide malicious activity on a
> target device. For example, it can hide processes from monitoring tools
> by intercepting system calls, so that the user remains unaware of those
> processes.

As above: Non-existant in the real world.

> Spyware
>
> Spyware is a computer program that hackers can use to spy on you and
> secretly follow your online activities. It works quietly in the
> background and shares the monitored data with the virus’ creators.

As above: Non-existant in the real world.

The exception would be crap from places like Google that follow you
around the internet.

> Cryptomining malware
>
> Cryptomining malware refers to a type of malware that uses your Mac's
> computing power to mine cryptocurrencies for the attacker. This process
> is sometimes also known as cryptojacking. Some cryptominers will also
> dig into your browsers’ cookies to try to steal the contents of your
> crypto wallets if you have any.

As above: Non-existant in the real world.

> Phishing
>
> Phishing is a form of social engineering which involves cybercriminals
> impersonating a known entity or close connection to trick you into
> revealing sensitive personal information that can be used for identity
> fraud or financial theft.

Yes. Phishing emails, etc. do exists, but they aren't Mac specific.
They're alos targetted at the dumb and the naive. Most mainstream email
providers already weed out the vast majority of this rubbish and spam
emails.

> PUPs
> Potentially Unwanted Programs (PUPs) usually come bundled with other
> software you download. Free browser add-ons or plug-ins can enable
> browsers to play videos, music, or games using Java. Not all plug-ins
> and add-ons are safe, and some may contain harmful malware or viruses.
> The consequences of installing rogue plug-ins or add-ons can include
> identity theft, data loss, and financial loss.

"Unwanted Programs" aren't malware, neither are they the same as "free
browser add-ons and plug-ins". They simply not wanted programs included
in the installer or the operating system. Most can simply be removed,
the rest can be ignored.

The ones that are "malware or viruses" already fit into the above
categories: Non-existant in the real world

> https://www.kaspersky.com/resource-center/preemptive-safety/can-macbooks-get-viruses

Oh, what a non-surpise. It's from Kaspersky ... one of those very
scaremongering anti-malware app seller I told you about above. :-\

David Ritz

Jan 6, 2024, 5:18:21 PMJan 6

[ Cross-post to alt.computer.workshop and alt.computer.workshop dropped]

On Saturday, 06 January 2024 19:58 -0000,
in article <kvtpni...@mid.individual.net>,
David, your paranoid delusions appear based, at least in this thread,
on Kaspersky's promotional material.

To answer your ever so unimportant question, I have never personally
thought any of my Macs had a virus. Why should I?

I am not personally impressed by any AV product, although I recommend
them for Windows users.

While I do not run the ClamXAV GUI, I have the open source CLI engine,
which it is built upon, clamav, installed on my computers and have for
many years. Neither is malicious in any respect.

Here, the only malice appears to be your spreading your libelous,
irrational misinformation about ClamXAV, but you already know this.

I've used and abandoned several AV products, usually due to their
being expensive resource hogs of dubious benefit.

All AV products require malware fingerprint and software updating.
These are fetched from the vendor. This includes clamav (and
ClamXAV.) There was a time software updates required purchased floppy
disks, but these days are past. Updates are provided over the
Internet. If you don't want your software connecting to the net,
perhaps you shouldn't install it.

Personally, I prefer the clamav CLI software package, as it gives the
user complete control over what the pieces are and are not doing.

I'm using the Home Brew package manager:

\ $ brew info clamav
\ ==> clamav: stable 1.2.1 (bottled), HEAD
\ Anti-virus software
\ https://www.clamav.net/
\ /opt/homebrew/Cellar/clamav/1.2.1 (180 files, 26.9MB) *
\ Poured from bottle using the formulae.brew.sh API on 2023-10-29 at 02:16:19
\ From: https://github.com/Homebrew/homebrew-core/blob/HEAD/Formula/c/clamav.rb
\ License: GPL-2.0-or-later
\ ==> Dependencies
\ Build: cmake ✔, pkg-config ✔, rust ✔
\ Required: json-c ✔, openssl@3 ✔, pcre2 ✔, yara ✔
\ --HEAD
\ Install HEAD version
\ ==> Caveats
\ To finish installation & run clamav you will need to edit
\ the example conf files at /opt/homebrew/etc/clamav/
\
\ To start clamav now and restart at startup:
\ sudo brew services start clamav
\ Or, if you don't want/need a background service you can just run:
\ /opt/homebrew/opt/clamav/sbin/clamd --foreground
\ ==> Analytics
\ install: 816 (30 days), 3,872 (90 days), 12,992 (365 days)
\ install-on-request: 810 (30 days), 3,859 (90 days), 12,952 (365 days)
\ build-error: 0 (30 days)

As I have yet to run into anything more dangerous than one item of adware,
I am not compelled to run any of the background processes, although
definitions and hashes are updated on a cron job, every couple of hours.

Now, you may ask yourself, "Why should this person be given any more
credence, than my own over-inflated self-value?"

Well, unlike you, I am an experienced network abuse investigator, which
includes stumbling upon all sorts of nastiness, including loads of
malware. These I regularly download to my Apple Macs, for closer
examination and reporting. When completed, files are deleted ($ rm).

Typically, I'll check the file information ($ file [target]), sha256
hash ($ openssl sha256 [target]) and manually run a scan ($ clamscan
[target]).

<aside>
clamav misses classes of file, which other vendors do not, including
.zip files and some Microsoft Office file types.
</aside>

Although I myself do not deconstruct such malware, I do pass samples
on to these who do. While my numbers have been running a little low,
over the past year or so, submitting a dozen or so samples daily, has
been common place, at times. My personal favo(u)rites are those, not
previously been seen by sites like Virus Total, where observations are
shared among upwards of sixty AV vendors.
(https://www.virustotal.com/)

Searching VirusTotal for matches of the sha256 hash often precludes
the necessity of even uploading the sample file. I save uploads for
samples which have not already been seen and reported.

While what I see largely targets Windows boxes, I do rarely encounter
malware targeting Linux, as well. To date and out of thousands of
samples, I have yet to download anything which can run on a Mac.

Rather than depending blindly upon one or more software packages, to allay
my unease, I tend to look for better wetware solutions. To date, this has
served me well.

Before you click, think.

- --
David Ritz <dr...@mindspring.com>
Never underestimate the gullibility of the average user.

FromTheRafters

Jan 6, 2024, 5:23:56 PMJan 6
David B. expressed precisely :
That is a false premise. The unit has little exposure and adequate
integrated protection for my purposes.

> You've told me that you don't use such a thing. Why IS that,
> Rafters?

I'm not adding any software to it.

FromTheRafters

Jan 6, 2024, 5:42:22 PMJan 6
on 1/6/2024, Your Name supposed :
> On 2024-01-06 10:24:59 +0000, FromTheRafters said:
>
>> Joerg Lorenz was thinking very hard :

>>> *LOL*.
>>> One last thing: Macs don't have viruses.

>> What online threats can affect Macs?
>>
>> The kinds of malware that threaten Mac computers are similar to those which
>> affect Windows machines.
>
> Theoretically, yes.

Of course. I'm talking theory. A Mac is just another GP computer and as
such can be affected by malware. Are there any, or many, or enough ITW
examples to be worried about is not the question. The above blanket
statement "Macs don't have viruses" is just wrong. There is a list of
viruses for Macs, to have a list you must have viruses. That being
said, some are indeed zoo or POC viruses but not all.

> In reality, no, for most of these.

Not many ITW but also not impossible.

>> They include:
>>
>> Viruses
>>
>> A virus is a malicious software program loaded onto a user's computer
>> without the user's knowledge that performs malicious actions. It can
>> self-replicate, inserting itself into other programs or files, infecting
>> them in the process. On macOS, viruses could be hidden in Word document
>> files. These threats can be enacted when you enable macros.
>
> Non-existant in the real world, unless

This type of phrase often precedes bullshit.

> you do something idiotic like download
> pirated stuff and visit porn websites. For the "normal" user, these are not a
> problem and reporting of them is basically theoretical scaremongering by the
> anti-malware app sellers..

Yep.

>> Ransomware
>>
>> This involves hackers taking over personal or potentially valuable files
>> and demanding payment in exchange for the files’ decryption or release.
>
> As above: Non-existant in the real world.
>
>> Adware
>>
>> This malware takes over your computer, bombarding it with numerous ads and
>> pop-ups that can harm your device, track you, and slow down performance.
>
> Adware is not malware - it is annoying, but doesn't do any actual damage. The
> exception would be adware that is also a virus.

It is malware. Spyware is sometimes not malware, but adware always
steals.
Sure, they do like to sell their products.

David B.

Jan 6, 2024, 6:43:36 PMJan 6
On 6 Jan 2024 at 22:23:44 GMT, "FromTheRafters" <F...@nomail.afraid.org> wrote:

> David B. expressed precisely :
>>>
>>> I have never said otherwise, and I resent your implying that I have.
>>
>> Perhaps things would be better if you actually answered my questions.
>>
>> If you REALLY believed in Mac Malware you'd be paying for protective
>> software.
>
> That is a false premise. The unit has little exposure and adequate
> integrated protection for my purposes.

I accept that. Completely. My apologies for any unintended upset.

>> You've told me that you don't use such a thing. Why IS that,
>> Rafters?
>
> I'm not adding any software to it.

Do you consider "Mints" by Howard Oakley to be added software?

It would be hard to find I suspect! Look where *I* found it:-

https://i.ibb.co/CvJXz00/Screenshot-2024-01-04-at-21-46-07.png

--
Kind regards,
David

pothead

Jan 6, 2024, 7:41:03 PMJan 6
Look here:

<https://www.cvedetails.com/product/156/Apple-Mac-Os-X.html?vendor_id=49>

P.S. DB you are gonna LOVE this site :)

--
pothead
Tommy Chong For President 2024.

Snit

Jan 6, 2024, 8:00:02 PMJan 6
On Jan 6, 2024 at 3:42:10 PM MST, "FromTheRafters" wrote
<uncl0a$pajv$1...@dont-email.me>:

> on 1/6/2024, Your Name supposed :
>> On 2024-01-06 10:24:59 +0000, FromTheRafters said:
>>
>>> Joerg Lorenz was thinking very hard :

>>> ==============================================
>>> What online threats can affect Macs?
>>>
>>> The kinds of malware that threaten Mac computers are similar to those which
>>> affect Windows machines.
>>
>> Theoretically, yes.
>
> Of course. I'm talking theory. A Mac is just another GP computer and as
> such can be affected by malware. Are there any, or many, or enough ITW
> examples to be worried about is not the question. The above blanket
> statement "Macs don't have viruses" is just wrong.

For the average user, and if you are restricted to malware the user does not
go out of their way to install, it is fairly true. But that restriction is a
huge one.

FromTheRafters

Jan 6, 2024, 8:07:00 PMJan 6
Snit laid this down on his screen :
> On Jan 6, 2024 at 3:42:10 PM MST, "FromTheRafters" wrote
> <uncl0a$pajv$1...@dont-email.me>:
>
>> on 1/6/2024, Your Name supposed :

>>> Theoretically, yes.
>>
>> Of course. I'm talking theory. A Mac is just another GP computer and as
>> such can be affected by malware. Are there any, or many, or enough ITW
>> examples to be worried about is not the question. The above blanket
>> statement "Macs don't have viruses" is just wrong.
>
> For the average user, and if you are restricted to malware the user does not
> go out of their way to install, it is fairly true. But that restriction is a
> huge one.

Sure, large companies like Apple are always looking for programmers to
code up some useless AM software mostly to take up clock cycles and to
prevent things that it is fairly true don't exist from getting on the
machine.

Snit

Jan 6, 2024, 8:13:59 PMJan 6
On Jan 6, 2024 at 6:06:48 PM MST, "FromTheRafters" wrote
<unctff$qbao$1...@dont-email.me>:
As you note, macOS comes with anti-malware software. WITH macOS, and with that
software that is included, you are very unlikely to get any malware with
normal usage.

Now start downloading pirated software and the like and all bets are off. Also
not saying there is no value to sometimes using third party checkers... esp.
if you download a lot of software from sources outside the Apple Store.

%

Jan 6, 2024, 8:18:01 PMJan 6
i get all my stuff from the dark web trolls

Snit

Jan 6, 2024, 9:13:00 PMJan 6
On Jan 6, 2024 at 6:17:48 PM MST, "%" wrote
<IkydnShENb4gZgT4...@giganews.com>:
Those are the worst of trolls, those are the best of trolls.

David B.

Jan 7, 2024, 3:17:20 AMJan 7
On 7 Jan 2024 at 00:40:59 GMT, "pothead" <pot...@snakebite.com> wrote:

> On 2024-01-06, FromTheRafters <F...@nomail.afraid.org> wrote:
>> on 1/6/2024, Your Name supposed :
>>> [....]
>>>
>>> Oh, what a non-surpise. It's from Kaspersky ... one of those very
>>> scaremongering anti-malware app seller I told you about above. :-\
>>
>> Sure, they do like to sell their products.
>
> Look here:
>
> <https://www.cvedetails.com/product/156/Apple-Mac-Os-X.html?vendor_id=49>
>
> P.S. DB you are gonna LOVE this site :)

You are correct! Thank you for this Pothead! :-)

Have you ever reviewed the website of Mark Allan? Do YOU belive the claims he
makes here? www.clamxav.com

I have bought and paid for the software TWICE in the last year - but their
support service refuses to 'talk' to me. I have consequently reclaimed my
purchase price and I was successful on each occasion. What THAT tells me is
that 'SOMETHING ain't right'!

My computer hard drive was erased after each ClamXAV installation to ensure
that nothing malicious remains on my machine. It doesn't take long!

J. J. Lodder

Jan 7, 2024, 4:38:21 AMJan 7
Jorg already told you all you need to know,

Jan

FromTheRafters

Jan 7, 2024, 5:13:01 AMJan 7
Snit was thinking very hard :
But that doesn't equate to the blanket statement that "Macs don't have
viruses".

> Now start downloading pirated software and the like and all bets are off.
> Also not saying there is no value to sometimes using third party checkers...
> esp. if you download a lot of software from sources outside the Apple Store.

Yes, sort of a belt and suspender approach.

Snit

Jan 7, 2024, 8:09:13 AMJan 7
Such a statement is a gross simplification.

>> Now start downloading pirated software and the like and all bets are off.
>> Also not saying there is no value to sometimes using third party checkers...
>> esp. if you download a lot of software from sources outside the Apple Store.
>
> Yes, sort of a belt and suspender approach.

I like that phrase. Yes.

pothead

Jan 7, 2024, 12:44:22 PMJan 7
TBH I have no interest in clamxav and if I was planning on purchasing it I would look for reviews
from current users and base my decision upon that.

David B.

Jan 7, 2024, 12:52:14 PMJan 7
On 7 Jan 2024 at 17:44:18 GMT, "pothead" <pot...@snakebite.com> wrote:

> On 2024-01-07, David B <b...@nomail.afraid.org> wrote:

>>> Look here:
>>>
>>> <https://www.cvedetails.com/product/156/Apple-Mac-Os-X.html?vendor_id=49>
>>>
>>> P.S. DB you are gonna LOVE this site :)
>>
>> You are correct! Thank you for this Pothead! :-)
>>
>> Have you ever reviewed the website of Mark Allan? Do YOU belive the claims he
>> makes here? www.clamxav.com
>>
>> I have bought and paid for the software TWICE in the last year - but their
>> support service refuses to 'talk' to me. I have consequently reclaimed my
>> purchase price and I was successful on each occasion. What THAT tells me is
>> that 'SOMETHING ain't right'!
>>
>> My computer hard drive was erased after each ClamXAV installation to ensure
>> that nothing malicious remains on my machine. It doesn't take long!
>
> TBH I have no interest in clamxav

That's 'cause you don't use an Apple computer I expect!

> and if I was planning on purchasing it I would look for reviews
> from current users and base my decision upon that.

That is EXACTLY what I did! The original ClamXAV phpbb had thousands of
members/users but once it went commercial it gained just a few hundred 'likes'
on Facebook.

pothead

Jan 7, 2024, 2:31:33 PMJan 7
Correct although ClamAV is available for Linux.

>> and if I was planning on purchasing it I would look for reviews
>> from current users and base my decision upon that.
>
> That is EXACTLY what I did! The original ClamXAV phpbb had thousands of
> members/users but once it went commercial it gained just a few hundred 'likes'
> on Facebook.
I suppose people like free stuff.

David B.

Jan 7, 2024, 3:40:01 PMJan 7
Indeed - do you USE it?

ClamXAV does NOT work with Linux.

>>> and if I was planning on purchasing it I would look for reviews
>>> from current users and base my decision upon that.
>>
>> That is EXACTLY what I did! The original ClamXAV phpbb had thousands of
>> members/users but once it went commercial it gained just a few hundred 'likes'
>> on Facebook.

> I suppose people like free stuff.

Yes. I'm sure they do.

Have you heard the name 'Alvarnell' anywhere else?
https://github.com/alvarnell

Your Name

Jan 7, 2024, 3:53:51 PMJan 7
Theoretically they do. In reality they don't.

It is unlikely you could find any normal user who has ever proven to
have had a virus on their Mac (that is proven, not just someone who
thinks they had one because the computer did something "weird"). Same
with any other form of actual bad malware (i.e. not adware or "unwanted
programs")

I've been using Apple since the days of the Apple II, basically as tech
support (among numerous other tasks), I have *never* *ever* found
anyone to have a virus on their Mac. In contrast, Windoze gets a virus
every time you blink your eyes! I've seen Windoze computers so infested
with multiple viruses that they barely even work.

David B.

Jan 7, 2024, 4:00:39 PMJan 7
Thank you for your straight-forward and honest views 'Your Name'.

What do you feel about the claims made by Mark Allan? www.clamxav.com

Snit

Jan 7, 2024, 4:04:28 PMJan 7
On Jan 7, 2024 at 1:53:46 PM MST, "Your Name" wrote
<unf30q$173b2$1...@dont-email.me>:
I can nitpick that some but find much the same. I have run into Mac viruses on
very, very rare occasion... since Classic Mac at least. Working in computer
labs there was the need for third party apps to deal with it. I used one
called Disinfectant.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disinfectant_(software)

>>> Now start downloading pirated software and the like and all bets are
>>> off. Also not saying there is no value to sometimes using third party
>>> checkers... esp. if you download a lot of software from sources outside
>>> the Apple Store.
>>
>> Yes, sort of a belt and suspender approach.

David B.

Jan 7, 2024, 5:23:23 PMJan 7
I've read about that years ago. Thanks for sharing.

What would you use nowadays - in 2024?

Snit

Jan 7, 2024, 5:36:33 PMJan 7
On Jan 7, 2024 at 3:23:16 PM MST, "David B." wrote
<l00mik...@mid.individual.net>:
It worked well.

> What would you use nowadays - in 2024?

Have not used anything in 2024... but in 2023 I think it was AVG and Avast
that I used.

David B.

Jan 7, 2024, 6:09:09 PMJan 7
Good choice! :-D

Snit

Jan 7, 2024, 6:11:43 PMJan 7
On Jan 7, 2024 at 4:09:04 PM MST, "David B." wrote
<l00p8g...@mid.individual.net>:
Thank you.

Your Name

Jan 7, 2024, 6:31:00 PMJan 7
On 2024-01-07 22:23:16 +0000, David B. said:

<snip>

> What would you use nowadays - in 2024?

As has been said lots of times already:

You do *NOT* need any anti-virus apps on your Mac.
(There's already one in MacOS itself anyway.)

All you achieve in doing by installing any of that garbage is clogging
up the (now limted) space on your drive and RAM, and slowing down the
computer (if they constantly run in the background).

Even in Windoze world they're fairly useless. The anti-malware app
makers will always be one step behind the scum making malware. I've
seen Windoze PCs with big name anti-walware apps, fully up-to-date, and
they still get viruses.

David B.

Jan 7, 2024, 6:41:36 PMJan 7
"Your Name" - I AGREE WITH YOU! :-)

The infamous Dustin Cook, posting here as Gremlin, actually used to be one of
"the scum making malware".

I hope and trust that he has now put all that behind him.

--
David

pothead

Jan 8, 2024, 8:36:28 AMJan 8
+1000
Spot on.

Gremlin

Jan 8, 2024, 10:33:06 PMJan 8
Snit <Brock.M...@gmail.com> news:WoLlN.23673$6ePe...@fx42.iad Fri, 05
Jan 2024 04:16:54 GMT in alt.computer.workshop, wrote:

> Gremlin <nob...@haph.org> wrote:
>> Snit <Brock.M...@gmail.com> news:NoskN.50963$JLvf....@fx44.iad
Mon,
>> 01 Jan 2024 05:50:37 GMT in alt.computer.workshop, wrote:

>>> You’ve been repeating stuff for what seems like just as long!
>>
>> Awe. Don't you have court dates to concern yourself with, mr stalker?
ROFL

> No. I don’t. But you like to make up stories about my life.

Why would I or anyone else waste the time? Especially when your own court
issues are a matter of public record. Sometimes, I don't think you even make
sense to yourself, Snit.

--
My entire life can be summed up in one sentence...
"Well, that didn't fucking go as planned."

Gremlin

Jan 8, 2024, 10:33:07 PMJan 8
Snit <Brock.M...@gmail.com> news:XoLlN.23674$6ePe....@fx42.iad Fri,
05 Jan 2024 04:16:55 GMT in alt.computer.workshop, wrote:

> Gremlin <nob...@haph.org> wrote:
>> David B. <b...@nomail.afraid.org> news:kvfi6l...@mid.individual.net

>>> I don't expect you to know the answers to my Apple questions, Dustin.
>>
>> Which is why you specifically asked me, right, David?
>
> If you can answer just do it.
>
>> Go ahead, try your
>> nonsensical bullshit with a newbie. Perhaps snit would fall for it?
>
> You can’t get me out of your mind.
>
>>> I am fully aware that if I load ClamXAV onto my Apple iMac then there
>>> will be constant communication between my computer and the ClamXAV
>>> server.
>>
>> You are laughingly, misinformed.
>
> There is communication each time you use it.

Yes, but it's not constant communication as David claimed. And, it's quite
normal for the type of product that it is.

Gremlin

Jan 8, 2024, 10:33:07 PMJan 8
David B. <b...@nomail.afraid.org> news:kvfi6l...@mid.individual.net
Mon, 01 Jan 2024 10:24:21 GMT in alt.computer.workshop, wrote:

> On 1 Jan 2024 at 05:31:23 GMT, "Gremlin" <nob...@haph.org> wrote:

> I don't expect you to know the answers to my Apple questions, Dustin.

*yawn* try harder, David.

> I am fully aware that if I load ClamXAV onto my Apple iMac then there
> will be constant communication between my computer and the ClamXAV
> server.

It's not constant communication, and, the communication which is performed
is quite normal. If however, you have an issue with it, you can set rules in
your firewall that will deny it access to do that. Of course, that does have
a drawback; you'll disable it's ability to acquire updates. Do you even
think why such a program might need to be able to call home before you just
assume it's doing so with the worst of intentions? It's protection abilities
are only as good as it's last update, David. It has to be able to call home
to tell home which database set it has, and if it doesn't have the most
current, it needs to be able to get it.

Apps of this kind do this as part of their routine function on a daily
basis, David. It's *normal* for them to do so.

> In effect, I will have provided that very 'back door' which
> every malicious hacker is seeking.

You really have no idea what you're writing about. Hacking doesn't work like
you seem to think it does, David.

> I will have no idea at all what mischief may be being carried out behind
the scenes, as it were.

You don't even know if there is mischief afoot; you're incorrectly assuming
in this case and going with that assumption. Poor form, to say the least,
David

> No every-day computer user will have any clue about any surrupticious
> activity. Indeed, who would ever bother to check?!!

You have demonstrated, time and time again, that you are not capable of
doing any of the research for yourself. You are tech incompetent, on your
good days, David. Due to your ignorance that you make absolutely no effort
to correct, you proceed to besmirch and slime products. You should be sued
for it, and have to in a courtroom support the accusations you make. Or, pay
a hefty fine and have a judge explain why you cannot do what you've been
doing.

Gremlin

Jan 8, 2024, 10:33:08 PMJan 8
David B. <b...@nomail.afraid.org> news:kvpsc5...@mid.individual.net
Fri, 05 Jan 2024 08:19:17 GMT in alt.computer.workshop, wrote:

> On 5 Jan 2024 at 02:03:49 GMT, "Gremlin" <nob...@haph.org> wrote:

>> Which is why you specifically asked me, right, David? Go ahead, try
>> your nonsensical bullshit with a newbie. Perhaps snit would fall for
>> it?
>>
>>> I am fully aware that if I load ClamXAV onto my Apple iMac then there
>>> will be constant communication between my computer and the ClamXAV
>>> server.
>>
>> You are laughingly, misinformed.
>
> False!

No, not false. It doesn't stay in constant communication as you claimed
above. It does call home - and it's a perfectly legitimate reason for doing
so. It's normal infact for this type of program to be doing that. I'd be
concerned if it didn't, because that would mean I'd have to make sure it had
the most recent database updates, manually, myself.

>>> In effect, I will have provided that very 'back door' which
>>> every malicious hacker is seeking.
>>

>> Tell us that you have no idea what the fuck you're writing about,
>> without actually telling us. :)

Running away as snit so often likes to say, David? You were attempting to
use hacker terminology without understanding what you were writing about.

>>> I will have no idea at all what mischief may be being carried out
>>> behind the scenes, as it were.
>>
>> It's expected that you wouldn't have a clue. That's a given. But, the
>> product has been peer reviewed and taken to pieces by the competition
>> on more than one occasion; it's something that's routine and quite
>> common in that scene. Vx did it to AV and AV did it to other Av and VX
>> alike.
>>
>> So again, you are writing completely from your asshole, David.
>> If there was anything nefarious, it would have been tagged a long time
>> ago by people like myself, who actually do have the expertise to be
>> able to determine that.
>
> But you haven't LOOKED!

Yes, I have. It doesn't matter though. I've told you the same thing before.
You've completely ignored me.

>> Some people said the same complete bullshit about my BugHunter program;
>> at no time did any of the naysayers comments ever prove to have held
>> water at any point in time during the programs entire lifetime. Despite
>> efforts by lamers like you to besmirch it, it never contained a single
>> line of malicious code; never trashed so much as one fucking system.
>
> David NEVER doubted your Bughunter software Dustin.

Hahah, yes you did. So much so, you asked other Avers about it. :)

>>> No every-day computer user will have any clue about any surrupticious
>>> activity. Indeed, who would ever bother to check?!!
>>
>> David, the solution is quite simple. Just don't use the product. You're
>> the only person I've ever heard of who takes such a paranoid viewpoint
>> about it, and for the longest time couldn't understand what a false
>> positive was. You wanted to argue about that too and refused to listen
>> to reason. This is no different. The program is fine, you're the issue.
>
> *That's what our Post Office told our sub-postmaters about Horizon*!

Again, the solution is quite simple. Just don't use the product.

Gremlin

Jan 8, 2024, 10:33:09 PMJan 8
pothead <pot...@snakebite.com> news:uncruq$q552$1...@dont-email.me Sun, 07
Jan 2024 00:40:59 GMT in alt.computer.workshop, wrote:

> On 2024-01-06, FromTheRafters <F...@nomail.afraid.org> wrote:
>> Sure, they do like to sell their products.
>
> Look here:
>
> <https://www.cvedetails.com/product/156/Apple-Mac-Os-X.html?vendor_id=49>
>
> P.S. DB you are gonna LOVE this site :)

He won't understand any of those reports. OTH, you may have caused a
shitload of future n00b hand holding threads to come into existance. :(

Some people don't understand that Apple has enjoyed the hardly any itw
things to be concerned with due to security by obsecurity. IE: it's never
been a target that held enough of a userbase to be worthy of the time or
effort. As that changes, over time, it's natural for it to become a more
featured target. It's not about the Apple device being malware proof or hack
proof or anything else along those lines.

Also, in a networked world such as the one we live in now, you aren't
running AV just to protect the machine in front of you; you're also being a
responsible netizen and trying to keep your computer from passing along any
'colds' to another computer you may interact with, even if the particular
machine you are using isn't capable of catching that particular cold
variant. My linux based file servers didn't have an AV scanner on them
because I was concerned they'd catch something; it was to reduce the chances
they'd be used to store something malicious another system could catch a
cold from.
It is loading more messages.