It's here! And I'm busy! Gyah!

Jim Hill

Aug 23, 2002, 3:36:35 PM8/23/02
Just as I was cutting and pasting my tracking number, a man whom I shall
refer to only as "The FedEx Dude" showed up with my Jaguar. I wonder if
I have time to play with it even a little before I gotta get myself out
of bum-wear and into opera-worthy clothing.

Friggin' "Aida" better be good...

Jim
--

"This place blows." -- David Letterman

clvrmnky

Aug 23, 2002, 4:12:13 PM8/23/02
Jim Hill wrote:
> Just as I was cutting and pasting my tracking number, a man whom I shall
> refer to only as "The FedEx Dude" showed up with my Jaguar. I wonder if
> I have time to play with it even a little before I gotta get myself out
> of bum-wear and into opera-worthy clothing.
>
> Friggin' "Aida" better be good...
>

> Jim

Here's the synopsis of Aida:
http://www.metopera.org/synopses/aida.html

Here's a spolier: everyone dies at the end.

There. You can stay home and play with your Mac ;)

Jonathan Hendry

Aug 23, 2002, 4:45:53 PM8/23/02

"clvrmnky" <clvr...@coldmail.com.invalid> wrote in message

> Jim Hill wrote:
> > Just as I was cutting and pasting my tracking number, a man whom I shall
> > refer to only as "The FedEx Dude" showed up with my Jaguar. I wonder if
> > I have time to play with it even a little before I gotta get myself out
> > of bum-wear and into opera-worthy clothing.
> >
> > Friggin' "Aida" better be good...
> >

> > Jim
>
> Here's the synopsis of Aida:
> http://www.metopera.org/synopses/aida.html
>
> Here's a spolier: everyone dies at the end.

Except Elton. Pity.

Jim Hill

Aug 23, 2002, 5:00:24 PM8/23/02
clvrmnky wrote:

>Jim Hill wrote:
>> Friggin' "Aida" better be good...
>
>Here's a spolier: <cut>

>There. You can stay home and play with your Mac ;)

Ass.

Phil Lefebvre

Aug 23, 2002, 5:23:12 PM8/23/02
In article <ak62s3$ul6$1...@iruka.swcp.com>, jim...@swcp.com (Jim Hill)
wrote:

> Just as I was cutting and pasting my tracking number, a man whom I shall
> refer to only as "The FedEx Dude" showed up with my Jaguar.

Exact same experience. Tracking page says it was on the truck. I hear
that familiar "beep beep beep", look up and there he was. Installed over
lunch.

> I wonder if I have time to play with it even a little before
> I gotta get myself out of bum-wear and into opera-worthy clothing.
>
> Friggin' "Aida" better be good...

I'm actually considering blowing off a bachelor party to play with
Jaguar. I mean, I'm happily married with two kids, so what's the point?
At least I'm allowed to play with that pussy...

--
Phil Lefebvre
Chicago, IL

pz

Aug 23, 2002, 5:58:10 PM8/23/02
In article <p-lefebvre-B9401...@news.it.northwestern.edu>,
Phil Lefebvre <p-lef...@GOnorthwestern.edu> wrote:

If you had Jaguar on a laptop, you could bring it with you and achieve
perfection.

--
pz

Mike Rosenberg

Aug 23, 2002, 7:43:30 PM8/23/02
Jim Hill <jim...@swcp.com> wrote:

> >There. You can stay home and play with your Mac ;)
>
> Ass.

It looks like you need to install your sense of humor before Jaguar.

--
Mike Rosenberg
<http://www.macconsult.com>

"If you ever get annoyed, look at me, I'm self employed..."

Jeff Kelleher

Aug 23, 2002, 9:06:34 PM8/23/02
In article <ak62s3$ul6$1...@iruka.swcp.com>, jim...@swcp.com (Jim Hill) wrote:

> Just as I was cutting and pasting my tracking number, a man whom I shall
> refer to only as "The FedEx Dude" showed up with my Jaguar. I wonder if
> I have time to play with it even a little before I gotta get myself out
> of bum-wear and into opera-worthy clothing.
>
> Friggin' "Aida" better be good...
>

> Jim

Worse. The FedEx guy came, and I was at Pre-K open house with my daughter.
All he left was a note saying he'd be back Monday...

Jeff K

Jonathan Hendry

Aug 23, 2002, 10:29:24 PM8/23/02

"Jeff Kelleher" <je...@ct1.nai.net> wrote in message

You can usually go pick your package up if they miss you. If the Fed Ex
office is open on Saturday, or late Friday night (dunno where you are) you
might be able to pick it up before Monday.

Jim Hill

Aug 24, 2002, 2:24:21 AM8/24/02
Mike Rosenberg wrote:
>Jim Hill <jim...@swcp.com> wrote:
>
>> >There. You can stay home and play with your Mac ;)
>>
>> Ass.
>
>It looks like you need to install your sense of humor before Jaguar.

My sense of humor's fine, thank you. My sense of paying a nontrivial
sum for a ticket to an opera I've not seen and having some self-styled
wag spoil it could, I admit, use a bit of a tune-up.

To wit, it wasn't the "stay home and play" that irritated me.

Mike Rosenberg

Aug 24, 2002, 9:46:04 AM8/24/02
Jim Hill <jim...@swcp.com> wrote:

> To wit, it wasn't the "stay home and play" that irritated me.

You mean you actually go to the opera for the _plot_? <g>

Howard S Shubs

Aug 24, 2002, 1:14:05 PM8/24/02
In article <p-lefebvre-B9401...@news.it.northwestern.edu>,
Phil Lefebvre <p-lef...@GOnorthwestern.edu> wrote:

> I'm actually considering blowing off a bachelor party to play with
> Jaguar. I mean, I'm happily married with two kids, so what's the point?
> At least I'm allowed to play with that pussy...

"How did *you* know she has a cat?"

--
I hope you have good backups, or you will "Run in circles, scream
and shout!" when it happens to you.

pduck

Aug 24, 2002, 2:26:54 PM8/24/02
In article <ak78ql$c0i$1...@iruka.swcp.com>, jim...@swcp.com (Jim Hill)
wrote:

> Mike Rosenberg wrote:

I thought all operas ended with everyone dying :)

--
To respond, remove nospam- from return address

Paul Fuchs

Aug 24, 2002, 2:42:38 PM8/24/02
pduck <nospam...@execpc.com> wrote:

Well, better not tell him how Sleeping Beauty ends (oh, that's a
ballet). Or that the Troll dies in the Billy Goats Gruff. Now that's
an apocryphal tale for this group :-)
--
Paul Fuchs
paulfuchs-at-attglobal-dot-net

Geoffrey F. Green

Aug 24, 2002, 3:48:15 PM8/24/02
In article <nospam-pduck-8614...@spool1.news.tds.net>,
pduck <nospam...@execpc.com> wrote:

> I thought all operas ended with everyone dying :)

No, it's not over until the fat lady sings.

- geoff

Jonathan Hendry

Aug 24, 2002, 4:08:52 PM8/24/02

"Paul Fuchs" <paul...@porkaintkosher.oink> wrote in message

> Well, better not tell him how Sleeping Beauty ends (oh, that's a
> ballet). Or that the Troll dies in the Billy Goats Gruff. Now that's
> an apocryphal tale for this group :-)

He should probably avoid Jesus Christ Superstar.

In Opera, it's not whether the characters die or not, it's the number
of arias they can sing between the mortal blow and expiration.

Jonathan Hendry

Aug 24, 2002, 4:09:05 PM8/24/02

"Geoffrey F. Green" <geoff-...@stuebegreen.com> wrote in message

While she's dying.

Mike Rosenberg

Aug 24, 2002, 4:13:48 PM8/24/02
Geoffrey F. Green <geoff-...@stuebegreen.com> wrote:

> > I thought all operas ended with everyone dying :)
>
> No, it's not over until the fat lady sings.

And then she drops dead. ;-)

Geoffrey F. Green

Aug 24, 2002, 4:17:49 PM8/24/02
In article <1fhffhi.tgl60lfnd80bN%paul...@porkaintkosher.oink>,
paul...@porkaintkosher.oink (Paul Fuchs) wrote:

> > I thought all operas ended with everyone dying :)
>
> Well, better not tell him how Sleeping Beauty ends (oh, that's a
> ballet).

Don't be silly. Sleeping Beauty is a cartoon. ;-)

- geoff

Jim Hill

Aug 24, 2002, 4:54:53 PM8/24/02
Mike Rosenberg wrote:
>Jim Hill <jim...@swcp.com> wrote:
>
>> To wit, it wasn't the "stay home and play" that irritated me.
>
>You mean you actually go to the opera for the _plot_? <g>

It certainly wasn't for the hot chixx. <g2>

Dave Seaman

Aug 24, 2002, 5:00:18 PM8/24/02
In article <1fhfh2b.ifms491mm1chmN%mi...@POSTTOGROUP.invalid>,

Mike Rosenberg <use...@macconsult.com> wrote:
>Geoffrey F. Green <geoff-...@stuebegreen.com> wrote:

>> > I thought all operas ended with everyone dying :)

>> No, it's not over until the fat lady sings.

>And then she drops dead. ;-)

Naw. She rides her horse into the flames.

--
Dave Seaman dse...@purdue.edu
Mumia Abu-Jamal's attorneys present evidence of innocence.

Jim Hill

Aug 24, 2002, 6:18:24 PM8/24/02
Michelle Steiner wrote:

>> >And then she drops dead. ;-)
>>
>> Naw. She rides her horse into the flames.
>
>And then she dies.

ObClerks: "Buncha savages in this town."

clvrmnky

Aug 24, 2002, 8:06:41 PM8/24/02
jim...@swcp.com (Jim Hill) wrote in message news:<ak67p8$ks$1...@iruka.swcp.com>...

> clvrmnky wrote:
> >Jim Hill wrote:
> >> Friggin' "Aida" better be good...
> >
> >Here's a spolier: <cut>
>
> >There. You can stay home and play with your Mac ;)
>
> Ass.
>

> Jim

Oh for... Just relax pal. The first performance of Aida was 24
December 1871. Chances are, you might have run across many references
to the plot in books, movies and television shows since then.

Anyway, the real joke is that Aida is a TRAGEDY. The principle
characters usually all die at the end of tragedies. I didn't make
this rule; that's just how it is. Deal with it. It's not like it's
"The Sixth Sense" or anything (spoiler: The character played by Bruce
Willis is really a woman. An Irish woman, who works for the IRA.).

Nobody goes to the Opera to be surprised by a plot twist. In fact,
you are often advised to learn the story beforehand so that you can
concentrate on how the production is presented to you.

If you are going to post a message complaining (humourously, I
assumed) that you can't preempt the opera to play with your new toys,
then expect the same type of posting in return. Get a sense of
humour, willya.

Sheesh.

-- cm

Bruce

Aug 24, 2002, 8:10:14 PM8/24/02
mi...@POSTTOGROUP.invalid (Mike Rosenberg) wrote in message news:<1fhdw0p.o9ag8fp6rjcuN%mi...@POSTTOGROUP.invalid>...

> Jim Hill <jim...@swcp.com> wrote:
>
> > >There. You can stay home and play with your Mac ;)
> >
> > Ass.
>
> It looks like you need to install your sense of humor before Jaguar.

I think Mike wins 2 out of 2 in the joke category. I thought both the
original comment and its defense were pretty funny.

Was it in San Francisco? They sometimes do Aida with live elephants
during the triumphal march.

Bruce

Jim Hill

Aug 24, 2002, 8:55:31 PM8/24/02
clvrmnky wrote:

>Oh for... Just relax pal. The first performance of Aida was 24
>December 1871.

That, more than anything, has made me realize that I'm being more than a
little silly about the issue. My apologies.

Jeff Kelleher

Aug 24, 2002, 9:36:35 PM8/24/02
In article <8cC99.486$yu1.20...@newssvr10.news.prodigy.com>, "Jonathan
Hendry" <j_he...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

The fedex office where my Jaguar is is at least a 40 minute drive. The
wife would not approve...

Jeff K

Mike Rosenberg

Aug 24, 2002, 10:20:32 PM8/24/02
clvrmnky <clvr...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Oh for... Just relax pal.

I think it all ended up playing out pretty well. And it's not as if you
told him Rosebud was his sled, Soylent Green is people, or that they
find the Statue of Liberty at the end of the original Planet of the
Apes.

Jason

Aug 25, 2002, 1:01:58 AM8/25/02

And what's wrong with fat chicks singing in Operas? :)

Jason

Aug 25, 2002, 1:01:59 AM8/25/02

Pfft - I drove 90kms (that's over 50 miles) for 10.2 :)

Geoffrey F. Green

Aug 25, 2002, 7:20:36 AM8/25/02
In article <1fhfxzb.1s77typv4a3uyN%mi...@POSTTOGROUP.invalid>,
mi...@POSTTOGROUP.invalid (Mike Rosenberg) wrote:

> I think it all ended up playing out pretty well. And it's not as if you
> told him Rosebud was his sled, Soylent Green is people, or that they
> find the Statue of Liberty at the end of the original Planet of the
> Apes.

Damn you.

- geoff

David Seaman

Aug 25, 2002, 9:32:51 AM8/25/02
In article <MPG.17d1e1201...@news.newsguy.com>,
Diane Wilson <di...@firelily.com> wrote:
>In article <geoff-usenet-D7F6...@virt-reader.news.rcn.net>,
>geoff-...@stuebegreen.com says...

>Maybe that's why Shostakovich never finished The Gamblers.
>No female roles, no one to write the last aria for.

It didn't stop Benjamin Britten from writing "Billy Budd".

--
Dave Seaman dse...@purdue.edu
Amnesty International calls for new trial for Mumia Abu-Jamal

Tom Harrington

Aug 25, 2002, 2:03:19 PM8/25/02
In article <geoff-usenet-DA16...@reader1.news.rcn.net>,

"Geoffrey F. Green" <geoff-...@stuebegreen.com> wrote:

Geoff, I have some bad news for you about Santa Claus...

--
Tom Harrington -- tph (at) pcisys (dot) net
"And you may ask yourself,

David Seaman

Aug 25, 2002, 8:25:18 PM8/25/02
In article <michelle-200B61...@news.west.cox.net>,

Michelle Steiner <mich...@michelle.org> wrote:

>> >And then she drops dead. ;-)

>> Naw. She rides her horse into the flames.

>And then she dies.

That's redundant.

Geoffrey F. Green

Aug 25, 2002, 9:00:54 PM8/25/02
In article <tph-64726F.12031925082002@localhost>,
Tom Harrington <t...@pcisys.no.spam.dammit.net> wrote:

> In article <geoff-usenet-DA16...@reader1.news.rcn.net>,
> "Geoffrey F. Green" <geoff-...@stuebegreen.com> wrote:
>
> > In article <1fhfxzb.1s77typv4a3uyN%mi...@POSTTOGROUP.invalid>,
> > mi...@POSTTOGROUP.invalid (Mike Rosenberg) wrote:
> >
> > > I think it all ended up playing out pretty well. And it's not as if you
> > > told him Rosebud was his sled, Soylent Green is people, or that they
> > > find the Statue of Liberty at the end of the original Planet of the
> > > Apes.
> >
> > Damn you.
>
> Geoff, I have some bad news for you about Santa Claus...

Well, at least no one's yet spilled the details about the surprise
twist at the end of "The Empire Strikes Back."

- geoff

Kevin Michael Vail

Aug 25, 2002, 11:17:43 PM8/25/02
In article <akbshe$o...@omni.cc.purdue.edu>,
dse...@omni.cc.purdue.edu (David Seaman) wrote:

> In article <michelle-200B61...@news.west.cox.net>,
> Michelle Steiner <mich...@michelle.org> wrote:

> >> Naw. She rides her horse into the flames.
>
> >And then she dies.
>
> That's redundant.

Not if we're talking about a newsgroup...
--
Kevin Michael Vail | Dogbert: That's circular reasoning.
ke...@vaildc.net | Dilbert: I prefer to think of it as no loose ends.

Andy

Aug 25, 2002, 11:51:45 PM8/25/02
Phil Lefebvre <p-lef...@GOnorthwestern.edu> enlightened us with

> In article <ak62s3$ul6$1...@iruka.swcp.com>, jim...@swcp.com (Jim
> Hill) wrote:
>
>> Just as I was cutting and pasting my tracking number, a man
>> whom I shall refer to only as "The FedEx Dude" showed up with
>> my Jaguar.
>

> Exact same experience. Tracking page says it was on the truck. I
> hear that familiar "beep beep beep", look up and there he was.
> Installed over lunch.

Gee.... my copy got on the last Fedex truck TO my neighborhood
at 6am Friday & showed up here at 4pm.

-Andy-

Tom Harrington

Aug 26, 2002, 12:09:56 AM8/26/02
In article <kevin-8D2960....@vienna7.his.com>,

Kevin Michael Vail <ke...@vaildc.net> wrote:

> In article <akbshe$o...@omni.cc.purdue.edu>,
> dse...@omni.cc.purdue.edu (David Seaman) wrote:
>
> > In article <michelle-200B61...@news.west.cox.net>,
> > Michelle Steiner <mich...@michelle.org> wrote:

> > >And then she dies.
> >
> > That's redundant.
>
> Not if we're talking about a newsgroup...

You mean a newsgroup could ride its horse into the flams and not die?

Mike Rosenberg

Aug 26, 2002, 8:18:00 AM8/26/02
Tom Harrington <t...@pcisys.no.spam.dammit.net> wrote:

> You mean a newsgroup could ride its horse into the flams and not die?

You see flaming in this group all the time, yet it lives.

clvrmnky

Aug 26, 2002, 11:43:16 AM8/26/02
Jim Hill wrote:
> clvrmnky wrote:
>
>>Oh for... Just relax pal. The first performance of Aida was 24
>>December 1871.
>

> That, more than anything, has made me realize that I'm being more than a
> little silly about the issue. My apologies.
>

> Jim
No worries. Apology accepted. Hope you got time to play with 10.2.
I'm holding out until I see what the fallout from this release is.

-- cm

Matthew Russotto

Aug 26, 2002, 9:54:35 PM8/26/02
In article <oJR99.725$Vb6.25...@newssvr10.news.prodigy.com>,

As long as we're spoiling things, I'd like to point out that in Titanic,
the boat sinks. And King Arthur dies in "Le Morte D'Arthur"

--
Matthew T. Russotto mrus...@speakeasy.net
=====

Tom Harrington

Aug 26, 2002, 11:25:55 PM8/26/02
In article <umlmurj...@corp.supernews.com>,
russ...@grace.speakeasy.net (Matthew Russotto) wrote:

> In article <oJR99.725$Vb6.25...@newssvr10.news.prodigy.com>,
> Jonathan Hendry <j_he...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
> >
> >"Paul Fuchs" <paul...@porkaintkosher.oink> wrote in message
> >>
> >> Well, better not tell him how Sleeping Beauty ends (oh, that's a
> >> ballet). Or that the Troll dies in the Billy Goats Gruff. Now that's
> >> an apocryphal tale for this group :-)
> >
> >He should probably avoid Jesus Christ Superstar.
> >
> >In Opera, it's not whether the characters die or not, it's the number
> >of arias they can sing between the mortal blow and expiration.
>
> As long as we're spoiling things, I'd like to point out that in Titanic,
> the boat sinks. And King Arthur dies in "Le Morte D'Arthur"

Although in "To Kill a Mockingbird", no birds are killed.