Strange Sonoma 14.2 bug - Ethernet speeds changed

Alan Browne

Dec 18, 2023, 2:10:03 PM12/18/23

A few days ago a download seemed sluggish. Ran Speedtest and I was
getting around 95 Mb/s download. Should be seeing 440 - 450 Mb/s.

Dug in and the Ethernet was set to 100 Mb/s.

Re-set it to 1000Mb/s / Manual. No problem.

Tested the next day. No problem. Yesterday, it downshifted to 100Mb/s
again. Re-set it.

Console logs - nothing.

Never seen anything like this. On the iMac 27" - no issue.

I added a thread to my background monitor that tests this ( terminal
command ifconfig and search for the en0: block of info). If it's slow I
get a popup in the form of a terminal window with an error message.

As I went out on errands at lunch, this problem occurred again.

Reporting it to Apple Developer Bug.

--
“Markets can remain irrational longer than your can remain solvent.”
- John Maynard Keynes.

Chris Schram

Dec 18, 2023, 2:30:02 PM12/18/23
On 2023-12-18, Alan Browne <bitb...@blackhole.com> wrote:

> A few days ago a download seemed sluggish. Ran Speedtest and I was
> getting around 95 Mb/s download. Should be seeing 440 - 450 Mb/s.
>
> Dug in and the Ethernet was set to 100 Mb/s.
>
> Re-set it to 1000Mb/s / Manual. No problem.
>
> Tested the next day. No problem. Yesterday, it downshifted to 100Mb/s
> again. Re-set it.
>
> Console logs - nothing.
>
> Never seen anything like this. On the iMac 27" - no issue.

I had a similar issue shortly after applying the latest Sonoma update,
My Ethernet speed seemed to go down to dial-up speed. Power-cycled
modem/router; no joy. Restarted iMac. Fixed, and it's been OK since.

--
ATTN Google Groups users: I filter out your posts and will not see them.
chri...@me.com is an infrequently monitored address. Email may get lost.

Alan Browne

Dec 18, 2023, 2:36:45 PM12/18/23
On 2023-12-18 14:29, Chris Schram wrote:
> On 2023-12-18, Alan Browne <bitb...@blackhole.com> wrote:
>>
>> A few days ago a download seemed sluggish. Ran Speedtest and I was
>> getting around 95 Mb/s download. Should be seeing 440 - 450 Mb/s.
>>
>> Dug in and the Ethernet was set to 100 Mb/s.
>>
>> Re-set it to 1000Mb/s / Manual. No problem.
>>
>> Tested the next day. No problem. Yesterday, it downshifted to 100Mb/s
>> again. Re-set it.
>>
>> Console logs - nothing.
>>
>> Never seen anything like this. On the iMac 27" - no issue.
>>

> I had a similar issue shortly after applying the latest Sonoma update,
> My Ethernet speed seemed to go down to dial-up speed. Power-cycled
> modem/router; no joy. Restarted iMac. Fixed, and it's been OK since.

Good point. I'm 80% sure I've done another re-boot since I installed
14.2 but it won't hurt to try. Thanks.

John

Dec 18, 2023, 7:59:52 PM12/18/23
On Mon, 18 Dec 2023 19:29:57 -0000 (UTC), Chris Schram
<chri...@me.com> wrote:

>On 2023-12-18, Alan Browne <bitb...@blackhole.com> wrote:
>>
>> A few days ago a download seemed sluggish. Ran Speedtest and I was
>> getting around 95 Mb/s download. Should be seeing 440 - 450 Mb/s.
>>
>> Dug in and the Ethernet was set to 100 Mb/s.

Just in case I ever have a similar issue, "dug down" where and from
where?

Which menu, which sub-menu and so on, please.

Thank you.

>> Re-set it to 1000Mb/s / Manual. No problem.
>>
>> Tested the next day. No problem. Yesterday, it downshifted to 100Mb/s
>> again. Re-set it.
>>
>> Console logs - nothing.
>>
>> Never seen anything like this. On the iMac 27" - no issue.
>>

>I had a similar issue shortly after applying the latest Sonoma update,
>My Ethernet speed seemed to go down to dial-up speed. Power-cycled
>modem/router; no joy. Restarted iMac. Fixed, and it's been OK since.

Cool. I'm happy for you.

Merry Christmas and have a wonderful New Year,

J.

Alan Browne

Dec 18, 2023, 8:22:29 PM12/18/23
On 2023-12-18 19:50, John wrote:
> On Mon, 18 Dec 2023 19:29:57 -0000 (UTC), Chris Schram
> <chri...@me.com> wrote:
>
>> On 2023-12-18, Alan Browne <bitb...@blackhole.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> A few days ago a download seemed sluggish. Ran Speedtest and I was
>>> getting around 95 Mb/s download. Should be seeing 440 - 450 Mb/s.
>>>
>>> Dug in and the Ethernet was set to 100 Mb/s.
>
> Just in case I ever have a similar issue, "dug down" where and from
> where?
>
> Which menu, which sub-menu and so on, please.

System Settings | Network | Ethernet | Details | Hardware ...

Ant

Dec 19, 2023, 4:03:56 PM12/19/23
V14.2.1 is out. Maybe it fixed it for you?

Alan Browne <bitb...@blackhole.com> wrote:

> A few days ago a download seemed sluggish. Ran Speedtest and I was
> getting around 95 Mb/s download. Should be seeing 440 - 450 Mb/s.

> Dug in and the Ethernet was set to 100 Mb/s.

> Re-set it to 1000Mb/s / Manual. No problem.

> Tested the next day. No problem. Yesterday, it downshifted to 100Mb/s
> again. Re-set it.

> Console logs - nothing.

> Never seen anything like this. On the iMac 27" - no issue.

> I added a thread to my background monitor that tests this ( terminal
> command ifconfig and search for the en0: block of info). If it's slow I
> get a popup in the form of a terminal window with an error message.

> As I went out on errands at lunch, this problem occurred again.

> Reporting it to Apple Developer Bug.

--
"God sent his Son, born of a woman, born under law, to redeem those under law, that we might receive the full rights of sons." ???Galatians 4:4-5. More issues, losses, bugs, etc. Incoming cold rain!
| |o o| |

Alan Browne

Dec 19, 2023, 6:06:29 PM12/19/23
On 2023-12-19 16:03, Ant wrote:
> V14.2.1 is out. Maybe it fixed it for you?

Don't top post.

Re-booted yesterday and the problem has not re-occurred. No urgency to
update to 14.2.1.

> Alan Browne <bitb...@blackhole.com> wrote:
>
>> A few days ago a download seemed sluggish. Ran Speedtest and I was
>> getting around 95 Mb/s download. Should be seeing 440 - 450 Mb/s.
>
>> Dug in and the Ethernet was set to 100 Mb/s.
>
>> Re-set it to 1000Mb/s / Manual. No problem.
>
>> Tested the next day. No problem. Yesterday, it downshifted to 100Mb/s
>> again. Re-set it.
>
>> Console logs - nothing.
>
>> Never seen anything like this. On the iMac 27" - no issue.
>
>> I added a thread to my background monitor that tests this ( terminal
>> command ifconfig and search for the en0: block of info). If it's slow I
>> get a popup in the form of a terminal window with an error message.
>
>> As I went out on errands at lunch, this problem occurred again.
>
>> Reporting it to Apple Developer Bug.

Alan

Dec 19, 2023, 8:36:59 PM12/19/23
On 2023-12-18 16:50, John wrote:
> On Mon, 18 Dec 2023 19:29:57 -0000 (UTC), Chris Schram
> <chri...@me.com> wrote:
>
>> On 2023-12-18, Alan Browne <bitb...@blackhole.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> A few days ago a download seemed sluggish. Ran Speedtest and I was
>>> getting around 95 Mb/s download. Should be seeing 440 - 450 Mb/s.
>>>
>>> Dug in and the Ethernet was set to 100 Mb/s.
>
> Just in case I ever have a similar issue, "dug down" where and from
> where?
>
> Which menu, which sub-menu and so on, please.
>
> Thank you.

What?

I thought you knew it all, John.

:-)

gtr

Dec 21, 2023, 9:18:13 PM12/21/23
On Dec 18, 2023 at 11:09:58 AM PST, "Alan Browne" <bitb...@blackhole.com>
wrote:

> A few days ago a download seemed sluggish. Ran Speedtest and I was
> getting around 95 Mb/s download. Should be seeing 440 - 450 Mb/s.
>
> Dug in and the Ethernet was set to 100 Mb/s.
>
> Re-set it to 1000Mb/s / Manual. No problem.
>
> Tested the next day. No problem. Yesterday, it downshifted to 100Mb/s
> again. Re-set it.
>
> Console logs - nothing.
>
> Never seen anything like this. On the iMac 27" - no issue.
>
> I added a thread to my background monitor that tests this ( terminal
> command ifconfig and search for the en0: block of info). If it's slow I
> get a popup in the form of a terminal window with an error message.
>
> As I went out on errands at lunch, this problem occurred again.
>
> Reporting it to Apple Developer Bug.

Just checked my speed after applying 14.2.1 and it was 363 which is about as
fast as it ever is. So--no effect with me. I have not rebooted since the
installation.

Alan Browne

Dec 22, 2023, 8:57:19 AM12/22/23
Since re-booting it, no issue; also undated to 14.2.1 so not sure if the
period from the previous re-boot was long enough to constitute a
validation that all is now well.

Current time since last boot: 1 d 17 h. No issues. I added a thread to
a background monitor program to check the speed setting. It runs every
10 minutes. Also run a Speedtest every 6 hours to check the ISP
quality. (SpeedtestCLI).

Alan Browne

Dec 29, 2023, 1:52:47 PM12/29/23
On 2023-12-18 14:09, Alan Browne wrote:

> A few days ago a download seemed sluggish.  Ran Speedtest and I was
> getting around 95 Mb/s download.  Should be seeing 440 - 450 Mb/s.
>
> Dug in and the Ethernet was set to 100 Mb/s.
>
> Re-set it to 1000Mb/s / Manual.  No problem.
>
> Tested the next day.  No problem.  Yesterday, it downshifted to 100Mb/s
> again.  Re-set it.
<s>
> As I went out on errands at lunch, this problem occurred again.

Since re-booting as described in another post (or since updating to
14.2.1) the error has no occurred again - 4 days 5 h since last re-boot.

Either the re-boot under 14.2 and/or changes to 14.2.1 seem to have
fixed this issue. Still - I have a program running in BG that checks
the setting every 10 minutes and runs SpeedtestCLI every 6 hours to test it.

Alan Browne

Jan 13, 2024, 7:57:47 AMJan 13
On 2023-12-18 14:09, Alan Browne wrote:

> A few days ago a download seemed sluggish.  Ran Speedtest and I was
> getting around 95 Mb/s download.  Should be seeing 440 - 450 Mb/s.
>
> Dug in and the Ethernet was set to 100 Mb/s.
>
> Re-set it to 1000Mb/s / Manual.  No problem.
>
> Tested the next day.  No problem.  Yesterday, it downshifted to 100Mb/s
> again.  Re-set it.
>
> Console logs - nothing.
>
> Never seen anything like this.  On the iMac 27" - no issue.
<>
> As I went out on errands at lunch, this problem occurred again.

It's back. Per my background sniffer the Ethernet setting went down to
100Mbps during the night over a period of a few hours.

Then set back to 1000Mbps after I started using the computer.

Strange ... I wonder if, all other things being quiet, it simply matches
speed to the Apple TV... then when I woke the other iMac (via
ScreenShare), it upped the rate to 1000Mbps ??