Re: What is the likelihood of a brand new iMac having been compromised in China?

David Brooks

Aug 4, 2022, 4:52:03 AM8/4/22
On 04/08/2022 09:28, Joerg Lorenz wrote:

>>> Yes, but it won't be able to mount your Mac's hard drive
>>
>> yes it most definitely will.
>>
>>> (Mac does not like to play nice with the other kiddies
>>> in the sandbox).
>>
>> yes it does.
>
> Very much so. I run Linux Mint Cinnamon on my 11" MBAir for over a year
> now. It is simply fantastic.

I've just sent this off to Howard Oakley. May I have your thoughts
please?
(https://eclecticlight.co/2022/08/04/virtualisation-on-apple-silicon-macs-8-how-apple-limits-vms/)

Howard - thank you for yet another interesting article concerning a
subject I know little about. 😅

Tell me, please, if you walked into my study and sat down in front of my
standard 27 inch iMac - Model Identifier: iMac18,3
Processor Name: Quad-Core Intel Core i5
Processor Speed: 3.8 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 4
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 6 MB
Memory: 24 GB
System Firmware Version: 451.140.1.0.0
OS Loader Version: 540.120.3~19
SMC Version (system): 2.41f2
Serial Number (system): *****
Hardware UUID: B22746AF-AE34-5EA6-9483-1416BB1448D4
Provisioning UDID: B22746AF-AE34-5EA6-9483-1416BB1448D4

Running macOS Monterey Version 12.5

*HOW could you tell* whether or not you were looking at 'The real McCoy'
or a Virtualisation? This is a serious question!

For your added interest, at exactly 0730 today my iPhone (iOS 15.6)
flashed a banner to tell me that your email had arrived. No such advice
was received on my iMac until 0734. Have you ever encountered such a
difference between macOS and iOS? I found that rather odd. I'm now on
BT's 'full fibre' with a download speed of well over 100 Mbps.

My kind regards,

David

--
Btw, Howard vets all my posts!