Copland WDEF on Amug

kir...@psu.edu

Jun 11, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/11/95
In article <3rchta$j...@condor.ic.net>, kin...@falcon.ic.net (Jerry
Kindall) wrote:

> Kevin Stone (kbs...@silver.sdsmt.edu) wrote:

> : By 'fully functional' I mean, it allows you to click on the
> : upper right hand corrner button which puts the window down at the bottom
> : of the screen in a compacted state (sorta like Windildoze's window
> : icons).
>
> Well, not QUITE fully functional. When you shrink a window the WDEF
> passes through the click to the window or app behind the current one.
> Also, shrinking a window causes the zoom box to become more than a little
> confused. The zoom box also doesn't zoom to fit the contents of a window
> in the Finder, like it used to. (In fact, the zoom functionality in a
> lot of apps seems to be a bit hosed.) Also, when you bring back a
> shrunken window that has other windows to the right of it, sometimes (but
> not always) the window to the right of the one you click also gets
> expanded. (I think this has to do with the pass-through of clicks that I
> mentioned above.)
>
> There also seem to be conflicts with either WindowShade or Side FX...
> don't know for sure which one, because when I noticed weird things were
> happening I decided to go ahead and turn off any other extensions which
> modified window behavior. At one point, also, my NowMenus menu bar menus
> became non-functional in the Finder (but worked fine in other apps).
>
> Not quite ready for prime time, in other words, but promising. Joe Bob
> says check it out.

I too have noticed a few problems, mainly with the expanding of the
shrunken windows. I get the same right shift effect. No problems with
WindowShade though.

This extension provides some great features. The "drag at any point"
windows are nice, it's a great look, and if the shrunken windows problems
can be overcome, I would consider this a must have. Particularly good is
that it does the work of two or three other add-ons in one seemingly
stable package. I don't usually like to clutter up my sys. folder with
appearance props, but I found that this one actually increases desktop
efficiency. Very sharp, very clean.

Combine this with Greg's Button's Espy font, and some of the Copland
icons, and I find the look rather appealing.

Continue the good work.

-K6

Gregory D. Landweber

Jun 11, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/11/95
> Combine this with Greg's Button's Espy font, and some of the Copland
> icons, and I find the look rather appealing.

I will be releasing a system extension in a week or two that does all
this and more. I have taken the Copland-like bits of Greg's Buttons,
added an installer for the Copland icons (which I have tweaked), and
added a few more Copland-style hacks. Someone else is working on the
windows and scroll bars. I'm running a development version of this
right now, and it looks REALLY cool.

-- Greg Landweber
gr...@math.harvard.edu
(author of "Greg's Buttons" and "Greg's Browser")

Kevin Lesniewicz

Jun 12, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/12/95
In article <greg-11069...@glandweb.student.harvard.edu>,

gr...@math.harvard.edu (Gregory D. Landweber) wrote:

>> Combine this with Greg's Button's Espy font, and some of the Copland
>> icons, and I find the look rather appealing.
>
>I will be releasing a system extension in a week or two that does all
>this and more. I have taken the Copland-like bits of Greg's Buttons,
>added an installer for the Copland icons (which I have tweaked), and
>added a few more Copland-style hacks. Someone else is working on the
>windows and scroll bars. I'm running a development version of this
>right now, and it looks REALLY cool.

Did you get right the tinges of white around the edges of the back flap of
the folder icons, unlike most of the spinoffs I have seen uploaded (this
is not meant as a slight to the generous icon-spinner-offers!). Refer to
the original MacUser icons to see what I mean. They have a blank folder
but the colors are off, and when you go to color-correct it you have to be
careful about all the subtle tinges that are supposed to be there!

I have one that I _think_ is pixel-accurate (or at least according to the
MacUser icons); let me know if you want me to send it to you.

--
________________
Kevin Lesniewicz

bobby

Jun 12, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/12/95
In article <greg-11069...@glandweb.student.harvard.edu>,
gr...@math.harvard.edu (Gregory D. Landweber) wrote:
> I will be releasing a system extension in a week or two that does all
> this and more. I have taken the Copland-like bits of Greg's Buttons,
> added an installer for the Copland icons (which I have tweaked), and
> added a few more Copland-style hacks. Someone else is working on the
> windows and scroll bars. I'm running a development version of this
> right now, and it looks REALLY cool.
>
> -- Greg Landweber
> gr...@math.harvard.edu
> (author of "Greg's Buttons" and "Greg's Browser")

I don't suppose these can be combined to make one control panel instead of
two (or more)?

--
€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€
-bobby

"I haven't met a deal...."
-DM, 199x

Simon Kidd

Jun 12, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/12/95

Gregory D. Landweber <gr...@math.harvard.edu> wrote:
>> Combine this with Greg's Button's Espy font, and some of the Copland
>> icons, and I find the look rather appealing.
>
>I will be releasing a system extension in a week or two that does all
>this and more. I have taken the Copland-like bits of Greg's Buttons,

I hope you will leave the ability of buttons (or the new extension) to
change the system font. I much prefer Espi Sans or Tekton to Chicago
or Espi Sans Bold.

Simon

Mike Schwartz

Jun 12, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/12/95
In article <greg-11069...@glandweb.student.harvard.edu>,
gr...@math.harvard.edu (Gregory D. Landweber) wrote:

->> Combine this with Greg's Button's Espy font, and some of the Copland
->> icons, and I find the look rather appealing.
->
->I will be releasing a system extension in a week or two that does all
->this and more. I have taken the Copland-like bits of Greg's Buttons,
->added an installer for the Copland icons (which I have tweaked), and
->added a few more Copland-style hacks. Someone else is working on the
->windows and scroll bars. I'm running a development version of this
->right now, and it looks REALLY cool.

One request though, please, please, please, please, allow the user to
select which bits and pieces to use so that we can, for instance, turn off
the Copland folder icons, since the custom folder icons with them look
horrible, IMHO.

--
Michael Schwartz
ru...@wimsey.com

"In cyberspace, nobody knows you're canadian, eh?"
---------
Microsoft Network is prohibited from redistributing this work in any form, in whole or in part. Copyright (c), Michael Schwartz, 1995. License to distribute this post is available to Microsoft for $1000. Posting without permission constitutes an agreement to these terms. Please send notices of violation to Postm...@microsoft.com and ru...@wimsey.com. Portions of this .sig licencsed from Joe Ragosta (doc...@interramp.com)

Simon Kidd

Jun 13, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/13/95
In article <rudys-12069...@pme61.bby.wis.net>,

Mike Schwartz <ru...@wimsey.com> wrote:
>In article <greg-11069...@glandweb.student.harvard.edu>,
>gr...@math.harvard.edu (Gregory D. Landweber) wrote:
>
>->> Combine this with Greg's Button's Espy font, and some of the Copland
>->> icons, and I find the look rather appealing.
>->
>->I will be releasing a system extension in a week or two that does all
>->this and more. I have taken the Copland-like bits of Greg's Buttons,
>->added an installer for the Copland icons (which I have tweaked), and
>->added a few more Copland-style hacks. Someone else is working on the
>->windows and scroll bars. I'm running a development version of this
>->right now, and it looks REALLY cool.
>
>One request though, please, please, please, please, allow the user to
>select which bits and pieces to use so that we can, for instance, turn off
>the Copland folder icons, since the custom folder icons with them look
>horrible, IMHO.
>
>--
>Michael Schwartz
>ru...@wimsey.com

It would also be noce if the QuicKeys zoom window function would work
with the Copland windows, it doesent with the Copland CDEV or with the
Copland Church windows plug in. This is presumably due to Apple moving the
zoom box to the left.

Simon

hum...@aloha.net

Jun 13, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/13/95

:
:This extension provides some great features. The "drag at any point"
:windows are nice, it's a great look, and if the shrunken windows problems
:can be overcome, I would consider this a must have. Particularly good is
:that it does the work of two or three other add-ons in one seemingly
:stable package. I don't usually like to clutter up my sys. folder with
:appearance props, but I found that this one actually increases desktop
:efficiency. Very sharp, very clean.
:
The Copland Wdef, to my dissapointment, *WILL CONFLICT* with ziffnet's
Wunderbar Control panel....the Wunderbar control panel puts little icons
of basic finder menu options (move selected item to trash, empty trash,
find, get info, etc.) into the tops of your windows. I love it's
simplicity and will miss it when copland (if ever) comes out...
jus a thought from brainless wonder....
Gary

--
Gary Failano
fai...@uhunix.uhcc.hawaii.edu

Brian Caslis

Jun 14, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/14/95
In article <DA4x1...@rockyd.rockefeller.edu>,
ki...@rockyj.rockefeller.edu (Simon Kidd) wrote:

> It would also be noce if the QuicKeys zoom window function would work
> with the Copland windows, it doesent with the Copland CDEV or with the
> Copland Church windows plug in. This is presumably due to Apple moving the
> zoom box to the left.

Could someone point me where to find the Copland WDEF or the Copland plug
in for Church windows? I've searched a bit on the net and can't find these
(I also have access to eWorld and CompuServe).

Thanks in advance!
Brian Caslis

Paul Crabtree

Jun 14, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/14/95

>It would also be noce if the QuicKeys zoom window function would work
>with the Copland windows, it doesent with the Copland CDEV or with the
>Copland Church windows plug in. This is presumably due to Apple moving the
>zoom box to the left.
I've found several Quickey functions don't work with the WDEF
--
COLORBURST STUDIOS € Est 1975
Eye-Dazzling Niobium Jewelry Handmade By Paul Crabtree & Tess Yevka

Stephen Giles

Jun 15, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/15/95
Another problem with the Copland WDEF (purely cosmetic, of course) is that
if you use Now Superboomerang then in Open and Save dialogues the
Superboomerang menubar overwrites part of the (now thicker) dialogue
frame.

One advantage of using the Copland WDEF is that on Powerbooks running
7.5.1 it is now possible to replace the B&W windows with 3D grey ones.

--
Stephen Giles
Ph.D Candidate in History (ABD)

Michael Peterson

Jun 15, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/15/95
In article <sgiles-1506...@moe14.slip.yorku.ca>,

I stumbled across Stretch at either Info-Mac or UMich or both. It does
the Apple 3-D title bar and adds grow handles all the way around the
window, ala Windoze. Seems to not have the bugs of the Copland WDEF, plus
you can iconize a window.
All in all, a nice bit...

--
Michael W Peterson mwpe...@nyx.cs.du.edu
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups....

John Seal

Jun 15, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/15/95
In article <sgiles-1506...@moe14.slip.yorku.ca>, sgi...@yorku.ca
(Stephen Giles) wrote:

> Another problem with the Copland WDEF (purely cosmetic, of course) is that
> if you use Now Superboomerang then in Open and Save dialogues the
> Superboomerang menubar overwrites part of the (now thicker) dialogue
> frame.

I noticed that. Here are some more minor flaws:

1) Open the chooser; it has a superfluous grow box that covers the version #.
2) It renders Now FolderMenus inoperative; I assume it's eating the mousedown.
3) Try dragging something into a drawer-ized window!

Other than those, I have observed no problems on either my 6110/60 at home
or my 6100/60AV at work.

; John Seal ; _1AOl_w2IY_n1IYd_t2UH_dUW
; john...@indy.net (finger for PGP key) ; _2IHz_m2EYk_S1AXr
; se...@tlinks.nawc-ad-indy.navy.mil ; _w2IY_k2IYp_t1AOkIXN.%

John Hirsch

Jun 15, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/15/95
In article <johnseal-150...@ip201.slip.indy.net>,
john...@indy.net (John Seal) wrote:

> I noticed that. Here are some more minor flaws:
>

> 2) It renders Now FolderMenus inoperative; I assume it's eating the mousedown.

Wow, I got some crashes on my machine and other oddities, but this one I
can do! NowFolderMenus work okay on my 660av. I'm using 1.0d9 of the WDEF,
maybe it got fixed in the latest version?

--
John....@mixcom.com

Hi there.

John Hirsch

Jun 16, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/16/95
In article <sfenton-1606...@vtr31.together.net>,
sfe...@together.net (Scott Fenton) wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I was afraid to look here to see what kinds of ugly bugs had turned up for
> folks daring enough to run this WDEF.
>
> My first priority is to fix the drawer handling bugs, but any other bugs
> that can be fixed, will be.
>
> Sorry that this wasn't released 'golden', but it will get there.

Hey, that's what the "d" in "1.0d9" is for, right? :-) Keep up the good
work! We love it so far.

--
John....@mixcom.com

Hi there.

Simon Kidd

Jun 16, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/16/95

John Seal <john...@indy.net> wrote:
>In article <sgiles-1506...@moe14.slip.yorku.ca>, sgi...@yorku.ca
>(Stephen Giles) wrote:
>
>> Another problem with the Copland WDEF (purely cosmetic, of course) is that
>> if you use Now Superboomerang then in Open and Save dialogues the
>> Superboomerang menubar overwrites part of the (now thicker) dialogue
>> frame.
>
>I noticed that. Here are some more minor flaws:
>
>1) Open the chooser; it has a superfluous grow box that covers the version #.
>2) It renders Now FolderMenus inoperative; I assume it's eating the mousedown.

Interesting, PopupFolder works fine with all the varients of the extension
Ive used. A new bug in the latest is that occasionaly when converting
the folder to a "draw" the entire window takes on the appearance of the
title bar.

Scott Fenton

Scott Fenton

Jun 16, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/16/95
There is a 1.0d10 on amug now.

1.0d10
-Clicks on the 'Shade' widget and drawers are handled better.
-Spacing for the title bar icon and text has been tweaked.
-The grow icon is drawn using a darker gray for improved visiblity.

It still has all the other bugs though.

-Scott

Mike Schwartz

Jun 16, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/16/95
In article <john.hirsch-15...@wwvvww.mixcom.com>,
john....@mixcom.com (John Hirsch) wrote:

-> Wow, I got some crashes on my machine and other oddities, but this one I
->can do! NowFolderMenus work okay on my 660av. I'm using 1.0d9 of the WDEF,
->maybe it got fixed in the latest version?

Oddly enough, the stability of my system (PowerMac 6100/60AV, sys. 7.1.2,
heaps of INITS, system hacked all the way to hell) seems to have improved
with the addition of the WDEF init :-). Before I installed it, I was
getting 2-3 crashes/day, since I added it, I haven't had any! No other
inits or anything added/prefs changed either.

->--
->John....@mixcom.com
->
->Hi there.

Jonathan D. Gift

Jun 18, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/18/95
In article <hummer-1306...@hawaii-2.u.aloha.net>,
hum...@aloha.net wrote:

> The Copland Wdef, to my dissapointment, *WILL CONFLICT* with ziffnet's
> Wunderbar Control panel....the Wunderbar control panel puts little icons

How can one get hold of it? Thanks.

jg...@primenet.com

"Hey, I think I've finally got the hang of i-"

K. Brent Church

Jun 18, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/18/95
I have another thing which crashes my Mac with the Copland WDEF (1.0d10).

1. Create a new folder.
2. Open the folder.
3. Collapse the window into a drawer.
4. Move the folder into the trash.

I'm using Copland Wdef with Zonkers (imported) which should work the same
as the init. Let me know if this is happening to you.

--
| K. Brent Church | osu....@applelink.apple.com |
| Apple Student Representative | kbch...@infinet.com |

Scott Fenton

Jun 19, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/19/95
Brent,

This bug is actually the 'Close window' on a 'Drawer' bug that was
reported already.

I am looking at this bug now.

Thanks,
Scott

In article <kbchurch-180...@p52.infinet.com>,

Mark Svendsen

Jun 19, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/19/95
In article <3s5lqe$o...@scipio.cyberstore.ca>, Fraser Hannah
<fha...@cln.etc.bc.ca> wrote:

>While this is far from scientific, I found some problems with all of my
>TCP programs after loading the Copland WDEF. I kept on freezing. Not
>being entirely stupid, I took it out of extensions, and bingo no more
>freezes. Maybe the problem was with MacPPP. Does it matter?
>
>Actually I thought the windows were kinda ugly too.

I thought the windows were kinda cool. But not cool enough to render my
system useless!!!! All I know is that whenever I ran netscape it fRoZe
and when clicking on the middle of the title bar with the command key down
it froze nicely. Oh and it was a complete and total freeze. No cursor
movement or force quit. beta 10 is still NOT ready to be released to the
public...it's more like a virus. Try Church Windows...it's not copland
but it's still cool.

Mark

Bryan Horling

Jun 20, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/20/95
<fha...@cln.etc.bc.ca> wrote:

> While this is far from scientific, I found some problems with all of my
> TCP programs after loading the Copland WDEF. I kept on freezing. Not
> being entirely stupid, I took it out of extensions, and bingo no more
> freezes. Maybe the problem was with MacPPP. Does it matter?
>
> Actually I thought the windows were kinda ugly too.

I'm using CWDEFd10 and MacTCP 2.0.6 without any troubles. There's
supposedly a newer version of the WDEF which may solve your problem.

PM7100/66/16/7.5....

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
--Bryan Horling-- | >>bhor...@mail.trincoll.edu<<
-Head Consultant- | Trinity College
"Do not use GAK on varnished | 300 Summit St
on unvarnished surfaces" | Hartford, CT
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
http://shakti.trincoll.edu/~bhorling

Mark Svendsen

Jun 20, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/20/95
>I'm using CWDEFd10 and MacTCP 2.0.6 without any troubles. There's
>supposedly a newer version of the WDEF which may solve your problem.

Nope that's the version I was using. I just got it off info-mac. Maybe
because I'm using MacTCP 2.0.4 but still I've heard from others how many
different ways it's crashed their system...

Allen G. Newman

Jun 20, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/20/95
<fha...@cln.etc.bc.ca> wrote:

>While this is far from scientific, I found some problems with all of my
>TCP programs after loading the Copland WDEF. I kept on freezing. Not
>being entirely stupid, I took it out of extensions, and bingo no more
>freezes. Maybe the problem was with MacPPP. Does it matter?
>
>Actually I thought the windows were kinda ugly too.

No problems here with TCP/PPP and the WDEF. 1.0d12 of the WDEF has
better-drawn click-boxes that are dead ringers for the Copland screen
shots.
You have to combine the WDEF with Greg's Buttons or the same author's new
Aaron extension so that you have buttons and other features that go with
the windows. They do look out of place all by themselves. There's also a
scroll bar hack in the incoming folder at AMUG that (sort of) does the
Copland scroll bars -- it needs work, but it does look better with the
WDEF than normal System 7 scroll bars.
_
----------------------- | | | | _ | | ---------------------
Allen G. Newman |_| | | |_ |\| PGP Public Key
ane...@charlie.usd.edu | | |_ |_ |_ | | available on request.

Fraser Hannah

Jun 20, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/20/95

Jonathan D. Gift

Jun 20, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/20/95
In article <anewman-2006...@ppp8.usd.edu>,

ane...@charlie.usd.edu (Allen G. Newman) wrote:

> You have to combine the WDEF with Greg's Buttons or the same author's new
> Aaron extension so that you have buttons and other features that go with
> the windows. They do look out of place all by themselves. There's also a
> scroll bar hack in the incoming folder at AMUG that (sort of) does the

Do you have the file names for the Aaron extension and scrollbars?

Simon Kidd

Jun 21, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/21/95
In article <bhorling-200...@bhorling.mac.trincoll.edu>,

Bryan Horling <bhor...@trincoll.edu> wrote:
>In article <3s5lqe$o...@scipio.cyberstore.ca>, Fraser Hannah
><fha...@cln.etc.bc.ca> wrote:
>
>I'm using CWDEFd10 and MacTCP 2.0.6 without any troubles. There's
>supposedly a newer version of the WDEF which may solve your problem.
>
>PM7100/66/16/7.5....

Ive used the d11 version with Netscape and system 7.51 with no problems...

Simon

David Lewis

Jun 21, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/21/95
Fraser Hannah <fha...@cln.etc.bc.ca> wrote:

>While this is far from scientific, I found some problems with all of my

>TCP programs after loading the Copland WDEF. I kept on freezing...
[snip] >...Actually I thought the windows were kinda ugly too.

YES! Me too. They looked so cool in the magazine, but when I saw them for
real (more or less) on my own Mac, I was not at all impressed... UglY!

Sn*wflake

Jul 7, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/7/95
In article <sfenton-1606...@vtr31.together.net>,
sfe...@together.net (Scott Fenton) wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I was afraid to look here to see what kinds of ugly bugs had turned up for
> folks daring enough to run this WDEF.

Well, all in all it works fine (V0.13), but I've had troubles in using it
with QuarkXPress 3.2. It tends to crash the system when I iconify too much
windows and the "find-and-replace"-window sometimes doesn't appear, only
its controls. Restart XPress and it's okay again.

**