Independence Day <the movie> and System 8

he...@cyberselsi.com

Jul 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/3/96

Just having come back from seeing the movie ID4, i thought you might like
to know somethings. As you may or may not know, apple has taken a stake in
this moive as they did with Mission Impossible. They used macs for the
government and Jeff Goldblum's character uses a powerbook. And on this
powerbook, is the gui of Copland, with 3d effects. It looked pretty cool.

Greg Berigan

Jul 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/3/96

he...@cyberselsi.com wrote:

Although the IBM logo also made a prominent appearance.

Actually, after noticing the IBM logo, I found myself not noticing the
product placement. I'm not sure if this is a good or a bad thing. :-)

--
_-<#)-=# http://cse.unl.edu/~gberigan/War-of-the-Worlds.html
___/___

Andy Bates

Jul 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/3/96

In article <hegsl-03079...@news.cybercomm.net>,
he...@cyberselsi.com wrote:

> Just having come back from seeing the movie ID4, i thought you might like
> to know somethings. As you may or may not know, apple has taken a stake in
> this moive as they did with Mission Impossible. They used macs for the
> government and Jeff Goldblum's character uses a powerbook. And on this
> powerbook, is the gui of Copland, with 3d effects. It looked pretty cool.

I noticed this as well, although it could have been Aaron on that Powerbook.

Isn't it nice that the aliens use a standard AppleTalk interface? I guess
that's one example of how the aliens are smarter than us.

Andy Bates.

Gregory D. Landweber

Jul 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/3/96

In article <4re6fp$4...@crcnis3.unl.edu>, gber...@cse.unl.edu (Greg
Berigan) wrote:

>>Just having come back from seeing the movie ID4, i thought you might like
>>to know somethings. As you may or may not know, apple has taken a stake in
>>this moive as they did with Mission Impossible. They used macs for the
>>government and Jeff Goldblum's character uses a powerbook. And on this
>>powerbook, is the gui of Copland, with 3d effects. It looked pretty cool.

I expect they were using Aaron.

-- Greg Landweber
gr...@math.harvard.edu

Gregory D. Landweber

Jul 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/3/96

In article <bates_andy-03...@news.tandem.com>,
bates...@tandem.com (Andy Bates) wrote:

>I noticed this as well, although it could have been Aaron on that Powerbook.

I hope so. I wouldn't want to be fighting aliens with prerelease system
software...

-- Greg Landweber
gr...@math.harvard.edu

Flower

Jul 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/3/96

:
: >I noticed this as well, although it could have been Aaron on that Powerbook.
:
: I hope so. I wouldn't want to be fighting aliens with prerelease system
: software...
:

Aaahhh. But the question is, if it WAS Aaron, did they register it?
;)
--
Erika Smith er...@mtu.edu
http://www.mm.mtu.edu/~erika

Frank Taylor

Jul 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/3/96

In article <4renmn$7...@dolphin15.me>, er...@mtu.edu (Flower) wrote:

-> Gregory D. Landweber (gr...@math.harvard.edu) wrote:
-> : In article <bates_andy-03...@news.tandem.com>,
-> : bates...@tandem.com (Andy Bates) wrote:
-> :
-> : >I noticed this as well, although it could have been Aaron on that
Powerbook.
-> :
-> : I hope so. I wouldn't want to be fighting aliens with prerelease system
-> : software...
-> :
->
-> Aaahhh. But the question is, if it WAS Aaron, did they register it?
-> ;)

I think they gave Greg a bit part as an alien in lew of the $10.

------------------
Frank Taylor
<mailto:fra...@qni.com>
------------------

Arlo Rose

Jul 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/3/96

In article <greg-03079...@fas-news.harvard.edu>,

gr...@math.harvard.edu (Gregory D. Landweber) wrote:

> I expect they were using Aaron.

Actually, the movie folks contact us (Apple) and we help 'em out. We tend
to give 'em screen shots, and souped up versions of Aaron that we use
internally, for screen shot purposes only.

Cheers,
Arlo Rose

Apple Computer, Inc. ro...@apple.com
Human Interface Design Center ar...@rcontinuum.com

Edwin ten Dam

Jul 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/4/96

In article <greg-03079...@fas-news.harvard.edu>,
gr...@math.harvard.edu (Gregory D. Landweber) wrote:

>In article <bates_andy-03...@news.tandem.com>,
>bates...@tandem.com (Andy Bates) wrote:
>

>>I noticed this as well, although it could have been Aaron on that Powerbook.
>

>I hope so. I wouldn't want to be fighting aliens with prerelease system

>software...

I don't know about that. Apparently Bungie's has ported a test version of
Marathon to Apple's new Game Sprockets games API. It's supposed to rock
(would we expect anything else?).

Edwin

Edwin ten Dam eb...@cam.ac.uk
Division of Virology - University of Cambridge
Tennis Court Road, Cambridge CB2 1QP, U.K.
Phone: +44 1223 336918 - Fax: +44 1223 336926

Glenn R. Howes

Jul 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/4/96

In article <greg-03079...@fas-news.harvard.edu> Gregory D.

Landweber, gr...@math.harvard.edu writes:
>I hope so. I wouldn't want to be fighting aliens with prerelease system
>software...
>
>-- Greg Landweber
> gr...@math.harvard.edu

It must be nice to see your software in a movie. You could see an open
Control
Strip on the Goldblum machine for about 0.5 seconds, and I had a flash of
hope
that he might be using one of my modules: no such luck. (This was a minor
continuity error, BTW, cut to machine screen with CS open, cut away, cut
back 1 second layer, CS closed).

--glenn

Michael Horn

Jul 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/4/96

In article <4rggqm$1...@news-old.tiac.net>, Glenn R. Howes
<grh...@tiac.net> wrote:

Only us Mac users would notice something like that.

--
Michael Horn - Electrical Engineering
m-h...@uiuc.edu

m...@flash.net

Jul 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/5/96

(Don't read this if you haven't seen the movie yet.)

If Jeff Goldblum WAS using System 8.0, I'm excited. If HE can log onto
an alien spaceship's computer on the first try with no problems, maybe
that means I'LL be able to maintain an Internet connection for more
than 5 minutes without crashing!

Mike Merschel,
Richardson, Texas

Gregory D. Landweber

Jul 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/5/96

THEY use Open Transport...

In article <dwilson-0507...@news.bytes.net>, dwi...@cybcon.com
(Doug Wilson) wrote:

>In article <31DCC6...@flash.net>, m...@flash.net wrote:
>
>> If Jeff Goldblum WAS using System 8.0, I'm excited. If HE can log onto
>> an alien spaceship's computer on the first try with no problems, maybe
>> that means I'LL be able to maintain an Internet connection for more
>> than 5 minutes without crashing!
>

>I can see the press release now:
>
>"and among many new features of System 8 reported by Apple is the ability
>to log into alien computer networks on the first attempt!"
>
>--
>Doug Wilson :::::::/::::::
>http://www.cybcon.com/~dwilson :::|::/:::|:::
>------------------------------ :::::|___:::::
>*Windows 95 rules! I've been using ::::::::/:::::
>it for six years on my Macintosh* :--_____|__--:
>*** "Intel Inside"...The world's ::::::::\:::::
>most widely used warning label. ***
> ***AOL Sucks!!!*** Mac OS

-- Greg Landweber
gr...@math.harvard.edu

Brian Landers

Jul 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/5/96

I think Apple's new PowerBook commercial says it best:

"Apple...the Power to Save the Planet"

Patrick D. McSwiggen

Jul 6, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/6/96

In article <31DCC6...@flash.net>, m...@flash.net wrote:

> If Jeff Goldblum WAS using System 8.0, I'm excited. If HE can log onto
> an alien spaceship's computer on the first try with no problems, maybe
> that means I'LL be able to maintain an Internet connection for more
> than 5 minutes without crashing!

Check out the most recent posting to comp.security.announce (CERT Advisory
CA-96.13 - Alien/OS Vulnerability). This is a *moderated* news group
controlled by CERT, so either someone was being naughty/tricky, or there
is at least one person at CERT with a sense of humor :-). This posting is
a perfect parody of the usual CERT Advisory style!

--
Patrick D. McSwiggen Internet: pat.mc...@uc.edu
Department of Mathematics <mcs...@kyodai.csm.uc.edu>

Philip Machanick

Jul 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/8/96

In article <greg-05079...@fas-news.harvard.edu>,

gr...@math.harvard.edu (Gregory D. Landweber) wrote:

>THEY use Open Transport...

Oh, I get it. OT is a follow-up on ET. I guess the space aliens were
sabotaging the first few releases. :(
--
Philip Machanick
Computer Science Department, University of the Witwatersrand

Frank Schima

Jul 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/8/96

In article <Pat.McSwiggen-0...@babbage.ece.uc.edu>,

Pat.Mc...@UC.Edu (Patrick D. McSwiggen) wrote:

>Check out the most recent posting to comp.security.announce (CERT Advisory
>CA-96.13 - Alien/OS Vulnerability). This is a *moderated* news group
>controlled by CERT, so either someone was being naughty/tricky, or there
>is at least one person at CERT with a sense of humor :-). This posting is
>a perfect parody of the usual CERT Advisory style!

That sounds absolutely hilarious, but it's no longer there. Can someone
post it please.

-Frank

--
Frank Schima | Environmental Working Group
Database Programmer & Network Administrator | Washington, DC

Michael Sattler

Jul 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/8/96

>>Check out the most recent posting to comp.security.announce (CERT Advisory
>>CA-96.13 - Alien/OS Vulnerability). This is a *moderated* news group
>>controlled by CERT, so either someone was being naughty/tricky, or there
>>is at least one person at CERT with a sense of humor :-). This posting is
>>a perfect parody of the usual CERT Advisory style!
>
>That sounds absolutely hilarious, but it's no longer there. Can someone
>post it please.

Enjoy.

CERT(sm) Advisory CA-96.13
July 4, 1996

Topic: ID4 virus, Alien/OS Vulnerability

- -----------------------------------------------------------------------------

The CERT Coordination Center has received reports of weaknesses in
Alien/OS that can allow species with primitive information sciences
technology to initiate denial-of-service attacks against MotherShip(tm)
hosts. One report of exploitation of this bug has been received.

When attempting takeover of planets inhabited by such races, a trojan
horse attack is possible that permits local access to the MotherShip
host, enabling the implantation of executable code with full root access
to mission-critical security features of the operating system.

The vulnerability exists in versions of EvilAliens' Alien/OS 34762.12.1
or later, and all versions of Microsoft's Windows/95. CERT advises
against initiating further planet takeover actions until patches
are available from these vendors. If planet takeover is absolutely
necessary, CERT advises that affected sites apply the workarounds as
specified below.

As we receive additional information relating to this advisory, we will
place it in

ftp://info.cert.org/pub/cert_advisories/CA-96.13.README

We encourage you to check our README files regularly for updates on
advisories that relate to your site.

- -----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I. Description

Alien/OS contains a security vulnerability, which strangely enough
can be exploited by a primitive race running Windows/95. Although
Alien/OS has been extensively field tested over millions of years by
EvilAliens, Inc., the bug was only recently discovered during a
routine invasion of a backwater planet. EvilAliens notes that
the operating system had never before been tested against a race
with "such a kick-ass president."

The vulnerability allows the insertion of executable code with
root access to key security features of the operating system. In
particular, such code can disable the NiftyGreenShield (tm)
subsystem, allowing child processes to be terminated by unauthorized
users.

Additionally, Alien/OS networking protocols can provide a
low-bandwidth covert timing channel to a determined attacker.

II. Impact

Non-privileged primitive users can cause the total destruction of
your entire invasion fleet and gain unauthorized access to
files.

III. Solution

EvilAliens has supplied a workaround and a patch, as follows:

A. Workaround

To prevent unauthorized insertion of executables, install a
firewall to selectively vaporize incoming packets that do not
contain valid aliens. Also, disable the "Java" option in
Netscape.

To eliminate the covert timing channel, remove untrusted
hosts from routing tables. As tempting as it is, do not use
target species' own satellites against them.

B. Patch

As root, install the "evil" package from the distribution tape.

(Optionally) save a copy of the existing /usr/bin/sendmail and
modify its permission to prevent misuse.

The CERT Coordination Center thanks Jeff Goldblum and Fjkxdtssss for
providing information for this advisory.

If you believe that your system has been compromised, contact the CERT
Coordination Center or your representative in the Forum of Incident
Response and Security Teams (FIRST).

We strongly urge you to encrypt any sensitive information you send by email.
The CERT Coordination Center can support a shared DES key and PGP. Contact the
CERT staff for more information.

Location of CERT PGP key
ftp://info.cert.org/pub/CERT_PGP.key

CERT Contact Information
- ------------------------
Email ce...@cert.org

Phone +1 412-268-7090 (24-hour hotline)
CERT personnel answer 8:30-5:00 p.m. EST
(GMT-5)/EDT(GMT-4), and are on call for
emergencies during other hours.

Fax +1 412-268-6989

Postal address
CERT Coordination Center
Software Engineering Institute
Carnegie Mellon University
Pittsburgh PA 15213-3890
USA

CERT publications, information about FIRST representatives, and other
security-related information are available for anonymous FTP from
http://www.cert.org/
ftp://info.cert.org/pub/

CERT advisories and bulletins are also posted on the USENET newsgroup
comp.security.announce

To be added to our mailing list for CERT advisories and bulletins, send your
email address to
cert-advis...@cert.org

Copyright 1996 Carnegie Mellon University
This material may be reproduced and distributed without permission provided it
is used for noncommercial purposes and the copyright statement is included.

CERT is a service mark of Carnegie Mellon University.

Michael Sattler, Digital Jungle <mailto:msat...@jungle.com> |
San Francisco, California, USA <http://www.jungle.com/msattler/> |

Author, "Internet TV with CU-SeeMe". Soon out in Japanese and Italian. |

Eric Soroos

Jul 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/8/96

In article <relayer-0807...@frank.ewg.org>, rel...@ewg.org
(Frank Schima) wrote:
\>

>That sounds absolutely hilarious, but it's no longer there. Can someone
>post it please.

You asked for it....

- -----------------------------------------------------------------------------

ftp://info.cert.org/pub/cert_advisories/CA-96.13.README

- -----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I. Description

II. Impact

III. Solution

A. Workaround

B. Patch

Fax +1 412-268-6989

--
sor...@u.washington.edu
http://www.ce.washington.edu/~soroos

Amy Young-Leith

Jul 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/8/96

<he...@cyberselsi.com> wrote:
>Just having come back from seeing the movie ID4, i thought you might like
>to know somethings. As you may or may not know, apple has taken a stake in
>this moive as they did with Mission Impossible. They used macs for the
>government and Jeff Goldblum's character uses a powerbook. And on this
>powerbook, is the gui of Copland, with 3d effects. It looked pretty cool.

I was surprised at all the HYPE about Apple and Mission Impossible.
Yeah, it was a grey case with the little plastic colorful Apple but the
interface was shit and downright patronizing, I thought. =-)

Now in ID4, it was at least reasonable. No huge full screen words
flashing "SEARCHING INTERNET" or other stupid slosh. Progress bars, the
comforting hard drive ticks of the Powerbook, etc.

amy

musc...@cadvision.com

Jul 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/9/96

I think the "virus" that Jeff Goldblum uploaded was, in fact, OT 1.1. As
soon as the Alien Computer tried to initiate a connection, it crashed the
mother ship's computer, (type 11 error) and brought down the shields.

--
musc...@cadvision.com

Doctor W

Jul 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/9/96

> > Alien/OS contains a security vulnerability, which strangely enough
> > can be exploited by a primitive race running Windows/95.

Yeah, but only a primitive race would run Windows 95 (or Windows at all,
for that matter.)

scott j lopez

Jul 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/9/96

In <soroos-0807...@cs117-14.u.washington.edu> Eric Soroos (sor...@u.washington.edu) wrote:
> I. Description
>
> Alien/OS contains a security vulnerability, which strangely enough
> can be exploited by a primitive race running Windows/95.

Hm, wasn't he using a PowerBook? Why would he be running W/95 on it? Granted
you could with SW95. But it sure looked like Sys7 w/ Aaron to me.

Still, this is funny as hell, whoever the author was. Congrats. You provided
some good laugher for me and my co-workers.

Rahul Dey

Jul 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/9/96
On 9 Jul 1996, aaron sommer wrote:
> In article <Pat.McSwiggen-0...@babbage.ece.uc.edu>,
> Pat.Mc...@UC.Edu (Patrick D. McSwiggen) wrote:
>
> > In article <31DCC6...@flash.net>, m...@flash.net wrote:
> >
> > > If Jeff Goldblum WAS using System 8.0, I'm excited. If HE can log onto
> > > an alien spaceship's computer on the first try with no problems, maybe
> > > that means I'LL be able to maintain an Internet connection for more
> > > than 5 minutes without crashing!
> >
> > Check out the most recent posting to comp.security.announce (CERT Advisory
> > CA-96.13 - Alien/OS Vulnerability). This is a *moderated* news group
> > controlled by CERT, so either someone was being naughty/tricky, or there
> > is at least one person at CERT with a sense of humor :-). This posting is
> > a perfect parody of the usual CERT Advisory style!
>
> Either I missed it, it hasn't arrived yet, or it got cancelled...
>
> Anyone save it?

Here is an enclosed copy

cert

Jim Robken

Jul 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/9/96

In article <4rubvi$1...@mailhost.ael.com>, slo...@mailhost.ael.com (scott j
lopez) wrote:

> > I. Description
> >
> > Alien/OS contains a security vulnerability, which strangely enough
> > can be exploited by a primitive race running Windows/95.
>

> Hm, wasn't he using a PowerBook? Why would he be running W/95 on it? Granted
> you could with SW95. But it sure looked like Sys7 w/ Aaron to me.
>
> Still, this is funny as hell, whoever the author was. Congrats. You provided
> some good laugher for me and my co-workers.

Please, let me add my congrats, if I can stop laughing long enough to type!!!

Great observation!

--
Jim Robken
ji...@popalex1.linknet.net

Brian Gillis

Jul 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/9/96

In article <4ru67f$n...@tst.hk.super.net>, ze...@hk.super.net says...

>aly...@nickel.ucs.indiana.edu (Amy Young-Leith) wrote:
>
>>I was surprised at all the HYPE about Apple and Mission Impossible.
>>Yeah, it was a grey case with the little plastic colorful Apple but the
>>interface was shit and downright patronizing, I thought. =-)
>
>>Now in ID4, it was at least reasonable. No huge full screen words
>>flashing "SEARCHING INTERNET" or other stupid slosh. Progress bars, the
>>comforting hard drive ticks of the Powerbook, etc.
>
>yeah, they made it too glaringly obvious in MI
>much more subtle in ID4, but then we are Mac users and we notice these
>things.

Hmm....

Did you know that in the movie Independence Day they uploaded Apple System
7.5.3.2.1.3.5.7.9.4.3.5.3.5.A Rev C to the alien space craft and caused a
system error type 7?
We are know that System 7.X.X.X.X.X.X… Rev X.X Point X is like a virus. Hell,
it’s too bad that they we’re not running Copeland because they never would have
arrived.

It was really suspenseful when they took that powerbook into orbit. At first I
thought that it was the nuke since they do tend to catch on fire and explode.
I am sure glad that our defense department switched to PC’s or we would have
lost on July 2.

Let’s see, Alien’s 0, Humans 1, and Apple around $19.00 per share and
falling. Microsoft $130.00. Hmm, you do the math
.
We’ll know that Apple will sue the aliens since they ripped it off first from
Xerox. Those damn aliens. Wait for the sequel, this time we’re in trouble
since they have Windows 1.0.

Game over man, game over!

zehao

Jul 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/10/96

Nicholas Robinson

Jul 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/10/96

The virus was definitely RAM doubler, dude. Plus, the aliens probably were
working with System 750000.3.2 (codenamed Barber.)

Thomas Reed

Jul 11, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/11/96

Did anybody else notice that the PowerBook Jeff Goldblum used had a CD-ROM
drive? Such a thing doesn't currently exist, correct? I wonder if Apple
gave him a prototype of the next line...

On a side note, I knew there was a reason I'd been buying Macs all these
years. Plug and play, that's where the future's going! I'm glad to know
that if alien ships land, I'll be able to plug right in to their network
with my Mac! ;-)

-Thomas

Thomas Reed Washington University
re...@visar.wustl.edu Medical School
re...@medicine.wustl.edu Saint Louis, MO
http://medinfo.wustl.edu/~reed
Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no
influence on society. -- Mark Twain

Opinions posted are not the opinions of Wash. U.

George Warner

Jul 11, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/11/96
to Brian Gillis

Brian Gillis wrote:

> Letąs see, Alienąs 0, Humans 1, and Apple around $19.00 per share and

> falling. Microsoft $130.00. Hmm, you do the math
>
> Game over man, game over!

I'm doing the math and at today's close, it was Microsoft $114.50 and
falling.

George Warner
warn...@prolog.net

Rishi Gupta

Jul 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/12/96

Brian Gillis wrote:
> Let’s see, Alien’s 0, Humans 1, and Apple around $19.00 per share and

> falling. Microsoft $130.00. Hmm, you do the math

You don't know a goddamned thing about stocks do you? Price only
matters when number of issued and outstandings shares are taken into
account as well. Let's say there are two businesses. Business A:
Common stock is trading at $50 a share, 100 shares outstanding, total
share capital is $5000 Business B: Common stock is trading at $1000 a
share, 2 shares outstanding, total share capital is $2000. Just because
Business B has a higher price per share of stock, it doesn't mean that
the business B is doing better than Business A.

--
Rishi Gupta: risg...@cyberus.ca
Visit my Mac Wing Commander IV Page at

Eric Soroos

Jul 13, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/13/96

In article <31E64A...@cyberus.ca>, Rishi Gupta <risg...@cyberus.ca> wrote:

>Brian Gillis wrote:
>> Let’s see, Alien’s 0, Humans 1, and Apple around $19.00 per share and
>> falling. Microsoft $130.00. Hmm, you do the math
>
>You don't know a goddamned thing about stocks do you? Price only
>matters when number of issued and outstandings shares are taken into
>account as well. Let's say there are two businesses. Business A:
>Common stock is trading at $50 a share, 100 shares outstanding, total
>share capital is $5000 Business B: Common stock is trading at $1000 a
>share, 2 shares outstanding, total share capital is $2000. Just because
>Business B has a higher price per share of stock, it doesn't mean that
>the business B is doing better than Business A.

Hmmm, I think I'd take one share of Berkshire Hathaway class A with it's
high price any day. (34,000 or so per share, run by Warren Buffett) The
highest priced stock i've ever seen, and one of the better investments in
the stock market.

eric

--
sor...@u.washington.edu
http://www.ce.washington.edu/~soroos

Paul Mix

Jul 13, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/13/96

In article <drg-090796...@ratatosk.mdacc.tmc.edu>,
d...@biomath.mdacc.tmc.edu (David Gutierrez) wrote:

> In article <michael-0807...@news.sirius.com>, mic...@jungle.com

> (Michael Sattler) wrote:
>
> > Alien/OS contains a security vulnerability, which strangely enough
> > can be exploited by a primitive race running Windows/95.
>

> I haven't seen this movie, but I thought Apple went to a lot of trouble to
> make sure that Our Hero was using a PowerBook, presumably running some
> version of the Mac OS.

In that you are correct. I couldn't make out the model of the PB, but it
was definitely running the Mac OS... with the Aaron extension on, to boot
(unless it was some beta interface of OS 8).

Look for Apple's new marketing ad... "When you need to save the world,
make sure you have the right computer" ... or something like that.

Anyone have a list of how many movies have featured Macs (as a primary
prop... plenty of films have them in the background not filling any
plot-related niche)? I can think of several right off the top of my
head... ID4, Mission Impossible, Jurassic Park.

PM

Michael Horn

Jul 13, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/13/96

In article <pmix-13079...@capncrunch.execpc.com>, pm...@execpc.com
(Paul Mix) wrote:

> Anyone have a list of how many movies have featured Macs (as a primary
> prop... plenty of films have them in the background not filling any
> plot-related niche)? I can think of several right off the top of my
> head... ID4, Mission Impossible, Jurassic Park.

Add Courage Under Fire to that list. Denzel types several letters on a
PowerBook using SimpleText. There are also a couple Mac II's.

Arman Afagh

Jul 13, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/13/96

Sure, all of us Mac users noticed the tons of Macs used in ID4 and Mission
Impossible. However, I'm wondering whether anyone else noticed the
difference I noticed.

We've all already pointed out that the GUI in the Mission Impossible
computers was very un-Mac like. Furthermore, I only noticed one clear
screen shot of the apple logo (although I'm sure there were others that I
may have missed, although there couldn't have been more than a couple
since I had my eyes out for the colorful apple). To me, in Mission
Impossible it seemed like they had covered up all of the Apple's on the
outside cases of the Powerbooks, even though they were clearly Powerbook
computers (except for one instance where I clearly remember a thinkpad
being used).

Anyways, in ID4, on the other hand, the GUI was very Mac-like (in fact,
there were several screen shots with the Apple Menu apple). Furthermore,
on the Macs in the gov labs, most of the Macs clearly had Apple monitors
and I don't recall seeing any pieces-of-shit PCs (although I may have
missed some). Yet, at the end of Mission Impossible, in the credits, the
producers thanked Apple Computer, whereas in ID4, no "thanking" of Apple
Computer was acknowledged.

Does anyone know the reason for the difference. Also, even though Apple
had a heavy promotion campaign tied in with Mission Impossible, to the
non-Mac user, apparently very few Macs were used. On ID4, on the other
hand, Macs were much more prominently displayed. Yet, the entirety of the
promotion campaign tied in with ID4 appeared to me to be the "Macintosh...
The Power to Save the Planet" commercials that I saw (and only once, for
that, although I don't watch much TV).

I'd like to hear of people's comments on this and from any sources from
Apple Computer.

ARman.

\\\|///
\\ - - //
( @ @ )
+-----------------------oOOo-(_)-oOOo----------------------+
| Arman Afagh New York University |
| afag...@popmail.med.nyu.edu School of Medicine |
| http://parker.bio.uci.edu/~aafagh Class of 1999 |
| |
| "Intel Inside": |

| The world's most widely used warning label. |

+--------------------------------Oooo----------------------+
oooO ( )
( ) ) /
\ ( (_/
\_)

evilsofa

Jul 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/14/96
> > (Michael Sattler) quoted the CERT advisory on Alien/OS:

> > > Alien/OS contains a security vulnerability, which strangely enough
> > > can be exploited by a primitive race running Windows/95.

Yeah, whoever wrote the CERT advisory got this part mostly wrong.

What really happened is that the computer geek uploaded Windows 95 to the
Alien OS. And apparently there was a driver conflict with one or more of
the alien's printers (which, BTW, don't use paper - and I won't gross you
out by telling you what they DO use...). And the aliens just weren't able
to log into MSN fast enough to download the proper driver.

And there lies the great irony. I am looking out my bedroom window, and
from here (I happen to live 6 blocks away), I can see that several pieces
of the Seattle spacecraft has completely smushed the Microsoft campus into
a grease spot.

See? Apple DID win out in the end!
--
"You know when I get in the mashed potatoes with my doorknob, all she
do is cry and cry cause the little volleyball don't have no liver or lungs..."

C. Smith

Jul 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/14/96

In article <afagha01-130...@netnews.nyu.edu>,
afag...@popmail.med.nyu.edu (Arman Afagh) wrote:

[...]

But did you notice that some of the Macs were old, old Mac II/IIx/IIfx
boxes? Couldn't they at least rent a PowerMac or two?? :-)

Remember Star Trek IV? Scotty uses a Mac SE, but the beep was
distinctively an Apple II sound and the screen shots weren't Mac.

Hollywood... <sigh>

C. Smith

Joel Klecker

Jul 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/14/96

In article <ralphp-1407...@du-00.gcstation.net>,
ral...@gcstation.net (Ralph Wade Phillips) wrote:

|Hi there!
|
|In article <m-horn-1307...@news.cso.uiuc.edu>, m-h...@uiuc.edu

|(Michael Horn) wrote:
|
|> In article <pmix-13079...@capncrunch.execpc.com>, pm...@execpc.com
|> (Paul Mix) wrote:
|>
|> > Anyone have a list of how many movies have featured Macs (as a primary
|> > prop... plenty of films have them in the background not filling any
|> > plot-related niche)? I can think of several right off the top of my
|> > head... ID4, Mission Impossible, Jurassic Park.
|>
|> Add Courage Under Fire to that list. Denzel types several letters on a
|> PowerBook using SimpleText. There are also a couple Mac II's.

| Stretch a little bit - An Apple //c in "2010".
The Mac Plus in Star Trek 4.
--
Joel Klecker / jkle...@pobox.com / <http://www.pobox.com/~jklecker/>
Do you believe in Macintosh? Please visit

Ralph Wade Phillips

Jul 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/14/96

(Michael Horn) wrote:

> In article <pmix-13079...@capncrunch.execpc.com>, pm...@execpc.com
> (Paul Mix) wrote:
>
> > Anyone have a list of how many movies have featured Macs (as a primary
> > prop... plenty of films have them in the background not filling any
> > plot-related niche)? I can think of several right off the top of my
> > head... ID4, Mission Impossible, Jurassic Park.
>
> Add Courage Under Fire to that list. Denzel types several letters on a
> PowerBook using SimpleText. There are also a couple Mac II's.

Stretch a little bit - An Apple //c in "2010".

RwP

--
Ralph Wade Phillips, CET #LA-82
ral...@gcstation.net

Mike Shields

Jul 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/22/96

In article <clayton-1407...@h108-6-109.ccnet.com>,
cla...@ccnet.com (C. Smith) wrote:

<big snip>

> Remember Star Trek IV? Scotty uses a Mac SE, but the beep was
> distinctively an Apple II sound and the screen shots weren't Mac.
>
> Hollywood... <sigh>
>
> C. Smith

The fact that you know that it was an Apple II system beep scares me...
--
Mike Shields
"Not too many people know that I'm famous." - Mike Shields

C. Smith

Jul 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/23/96

In article <MShields-220...@147.17.97.165>,
MShi...@ccgate.hac.com (Mike Shields) wrote:

: In article <clayton-1407...@h108-6-109.ccnet.com>,

: cla...@ccnet.com (C. Smith) wrote:
:
: <big snip>
:
: >
: > Remember Star Trek IV? Scotty uses a Mac SE, but the beep was
: > distinctively an Apple II sound and the screen shots weren't Mac.
: >
: > Hollywood... <sigh>
: >
: > C. Smith
:
: The fact that you know that it was an Apple II system beep scares me...

It scared me too... :-)

C. Smith