Apple's new online store: scroll oddities

1 view

Snit

Aug 4, 2021, 1:44:06 AMAug 4
Apple's new online store: scroll oddities

Apple has updated their online store. I looked at it -- and found scrolling
failed in Safari. I relaunched Safari, turned off ad blockers, emptied the
cache. No luck.

It works fine in Chrome.

I am using a third party mouse and a third party mouse driver. Tried turning
off the mouse driver to use Apple's (did not uninstall just went to the
Preferences and turned the driver to "Off"). No dice.

Hope it is just a temporary glitch and Apple will quickly fix this (or some
very odd thing about my system).

Curious if others are seeing this same issue. Here is a quick video of it,
though of course you cannot see when I am scrolling.

https://youtu.be/5USiPPuwNT4

--
Personal attacks from those who troll show their own insecurity. They cannot use reason to show the message to be wrong so they try to feel somehow superior by attacking the messenger.

Your Name

Aug 4, 2021, 3:10:28 AMAug 4
On 2021-08-04 05:44:02 +0000, Snit said:

> Apple's new online store: scroll oddities
>
> Apple has updated their online store. I looked at it -- and found scrolling
> failed in Safari. I relaunched Safari, turned off ad blockers, emptied the
> cache. No luck.
>
> It works fine in Chrome.
>
> I am using a third party mouse and a third party mouse driver. Tried turning
> off the mouse driver to use Apple's (did not uninstall just went to the
> Preferences and turned the driver to "Off"). No dice.
>
> Hope it is just a temporary glitch and Apple will quickly fix this (or some
> very odd thing about my system).
>
> Curious if others are seeing this same issue. Here is a quick video of it,
> though of course you cannot see when I am scrolling.
>
> https://youtu.be/5USiPPuwNT4

Works fine for me in High Sierra and Safari 13.1.2, using a cheap
Logitech USB mouse (with no extra Logitech / third party drivers).

David Brooks

Aug 4, 2021, 3:19:08 AMAug 4
On 04/08/2021 06:44, Snit wrote:
> Apple's new online store: scroll oddities
>
> Apple has updated their online store. I looked at it -- and found scrolling
> failed in Safari. I relaunched Safari, turned off ad blockers, emptied the
> cache. No luck.
>
> It works fine in Chrome.
>
> I am using a third party mouse and a third party mouse driver. Tried turning
> off the mouse driver to use Apple's (did not uninstall just went to the
> Preferences and turned the driver to "Off"). No dice.
>
> Hope it is just a temporary glitch and Apple will quickly fix this (or some
> very odd thing about my system).
>
> Curious if others are seeing this same issue. Here is a quick video of it,
> though of course you cannot see when I am scrolling.
>
> https://youtu.be/5USiPPuwNT4

I've been here, Snit https://www.apple.com/uk/store

The scrolling works just fine.

What link to Apple did YOU use?

Lewis

Aug 4, 2021, 6:19:35 AMAug 4
In message <COpOI.1065$Fx8...@fx45.iad> Snit <brock.m...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Apple's new online store: scroll oddities

> Apple has updated their online store. I looked at it -- and found scrolling
> failed in Safari. I relaunched Safari, turned off ad blockers, emptied the
> cache. No luck.

Scrolling works in Safari, but only if your cursor is in a "scroll"
area. Where this area is is a mystery as there is no visual indicator of
what can and cannot scroll.

> Curious if others are seeing this same issue. Here is a quick video of it,
> though of course you cannot see when I am scrolling.

It's not a bug it's a "feature". An idiotic feature, but it is obvious
they intended this abomination.

--
Nothing like grilling a kosher dog over human hair to bring out the
subtle flavors.

Snit

Aug 4, 2021, 9:00:53 AMAug 4
Thanks. Odd it does not work for me.

nospam

Aug 4, 2021, 10:34:14 AMAug 4
In article <imvhu9...@mid.individual.net>, TimS
<timst...@greenbee.net> wrote:

> > It's not a bug it's a "feature". An idiotic feature, but it is obvious
> > they intended this abomination.
>
> Tog would turn in his grave to see all this modern UI bollocks.

tog is still alive and can see it.

> Dark Mode is
> another PoS.

yep

Snit

Aug 4, 2021, 5:18:15 PMAug 4
On Aug 3, 2021 at 10:44:02 PM MST, "Snit" wrote <COpOI.1065$Fx8...@fx45.iad>:

> Apple's new online store: scroll oddities
>
> Apple has updated their online store. I looked at it -- and found scrolling
> failed in Safari. I relaunched Safari, turned off ad blockers, emptied the
> cache. No luck.
>
> It works fine in Chrome.
>
> I am using a third party mouse and a third party mouse driver. Tried turning
> off the mouse driver to use Apple's (did not uninstall just went to the
> Preferences and turned the driver to "Off"). No dice.
>
> Hope it is just a temporary glitch and Apple will quickly fix this (or some
> very odd thing about my system).
>
> Curious if others are seeing this same issue. Here is a quick video of it,
> though of course you cannot see when I am scrolling.
>
> https://youtu.be/5USiPPuwNT4

Update: sorta got it figured out. Order is all wrong here, and likely
forgetting some, but what I tried:

* Took away my custom CSS. No change. Nor would I expect that because does
same in Safari Tech Preview.
* Rebooted into safemode. No change.
* Uninstalled the third party mouse driver. No change.
* Tried a different user account. No change.
* Tried an Apple mouse. WORKS!
* Tried a different third party mouse. Did not work.
* Tried a different system with a third party mouse. DID NOT WORK!

Aha. Seems there is something odd with this combo:

* https://www.apple.com/store (and https://www.apple.com/uk/store, likely
others)
* using a third party mouse
* using Safari

Weird.

Your Name

Aug 4, 2021, 5:47:44 PMAug 4
As posted prevously, my cheap Logitech works fine on the Apple Store's
new website design, but I am using an aging version of MacOS and
Safari, so possibly it gets sent a slightly different version of the
website in some way (less pointless fancy effects?).

Snit

Aug 4, 2021, 7:18:08 PMAug 4
On Aug 4, 2021 at 2:47:39 PM MST, "Your Name" wrote
<sef1tr$17dn$1...@gioia.aioe.org>:
Odd. My system is a 2017 iMac, the other is a new M1. Both are fully updated.

But seems it is only some mice, or some versions of Safari.

RocketSurgeon

Aug 6, 2021, 3:03:38 PMAug 6
On 8/6/21 8:59 AM, super70s wrote:
> I can't get my hometown newspaper's site to scroll properly in Chrome,
> Firefox, Safari, or any other Mac browser. It makes these "jumps" and
> you have to fiddle with it to get it to the right place for a new story
> as you scroll down. Maybe it works fine in the PC version of Chrome,
> I'll never know I guess.

Post the link so others can test.

super70s

Aug 8, 2021, 2:20:11 AMAug 8
I think the problem is they have this crazy shit going on with
alternating ads in the
same space as you scroll along, trying to get as much "bang for the
buck" as possible.
Maybe it works smoothly for some sites but not for them.