Re: Does the End Justify the Means?

1 view

Lewis

Aug 10, 2021, 2:05:05 PM8/10/21
In message <0001HW.DD37E38C...@news.astraweb.com> Ed Norton <nor...@nowhere.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 9 Aug 2021 21:37:07 -0400, nospam wrote
> (in article <090820212137072281%nos...@nospam.invalid>):

>>> https://daringfireball.net/2021/08/apple_child_safety_initiatives_slippe
>>> ry_slo

>>> Jaime,
>>>
>>> Perhaps I did not make my point clearly enough. You guys seem to bu
>>> focused on how good the encryption is. I don't care _how_ Apple is
>>> implementing this or how great the illusion of privacy is. Who
>>> appointed Apple (and Google, and Faceberg, and Twitter, and any other
>>> tech company) to be vigilantes, snooping on their customers and
>>> reporting them to the government? If they want to prohibit certain
>>> content from their platforms, I guess under the current laws that's
>>> their business. But turning over the information to the Government?
>>> Even the article you cite admits it is a "slippery slope".
>>
>> child porn is illegal. apple and others are obligated to report it.

> I don't think anyone would disagree that they have an obligation to
> report it. The issue is do they have an obligation to go out and
> actively look for it.

That is not at all what is happening. Photos are only scanned when they
are uploaded to iCloud, and they are only scanned to see if they match a
list of specific images that have been collected of know child
pornography.

--
Every absurdity has a champion to defend it.

JF Mezei

Aug 11, 2021, 1:42:38 AM8/11/21
On 2021-08-10 14:05, Lewis wrote:

> That is not at all what is happening. Photos are only scanned when they
> are uploaded to iCloud,

The tag is already part of omage as it is being transfered to iLcoud so
it must be scalled (an CPU intensive process) prior to the upload.
Stopp trying to protect Apple purposefully confusing text.

They knew there would be opposition and prepared their PR campaign with
enough weasel words to let the apologists (you) do their work. Meanwhile
Tim Cook called its customers who oppose its move screeching voices of
the minority to try to discredit the very serious privacy experts who
have hige opposition to Apple's move.

With the system in place, the FBI now only needs a court order and Apple
all of a sudden will be scanning for any/all images and/or other content.

Constrast that with Apple telling the FBI to get lost for the San
Bernadino case because it just wasn't possible. Now Apple has built in
those backdoors to make it possible.

Bernd Froehlich

Aug 11, 2021, 3:28:45 AM8/11/21
On 11. Aug 2021 at 07:42:34 CEST, "JF Mezei"
<jfmezei...@vaxination.ca> wrote:

> Meanwhile
> Tim Cook called its customers who oppose its move screeching voices of
> the minority

Check your sources...

Joerg Lorenz

Aug 11, 2021, 3:59:55 AM8/11/21
Am 11.08.21 um 09:28 schrieb Bernd Froehlich:
That is exactely what he deed. Check *your* sources.

--
De gustibus non est disputandum

nospam

Aug 11, 2021, 10:49:10 AM8/11/21
In article <frJQI.39752$Fx8....@fx45.iad>, JF Mezei
<jfmezei...@vaxination.ca> wrote:

> > That is not at all what is happening. Photos are only scanned when they
> > are uploaded to iCloud,
>

> The tag is already part of omage as it is being transfered to iLcoud so
> it must be scalled (an CPU intensive process) prior to the upload.
> Stopp trying to protect Apple purposefully confusing text.

nope.

> They knew there would be opposition and prepared their PR campaign with
> enough weasel words to let the apologists (you) do their work. Meanwhile
> Tim Cook called its customers who oppose its move screeching voices of
> the minority to try to discredit the very serious privacy experts who
> have hige opposition to Apple's move.

tim cook did not say that.

> With the system in place, the FBI now only needs a court order and Apple
> all of a sudden will be scanning for any/all images and/or other content.

nope.

> Constrast that with Apple telling the FBI to get lost for the San
> Bernadino case because it just wasn't possible. Now Apple has built in
> those backdoors to make it possible.

they haven't built in any doors, front or back.

Alan Baker

Aug 11, 2021, 11:48:12 AM8/11/21
On 2021-08-11 12:59 a.m., Joerg Lorenz wrote:
> Am 11.08.21 um 09:28 schrieb Bernd Froehlich:
>> On 11. Aug 2021 at 07:42:34 CEST, "JF Mezei"
>> <jfmezei...@vaxination.ca> wrote:
>>
>>> Meanwhile
>>> Tim Cook called its customers who oppose its move screeching voices of
>>> the minority
>>
>> Check your sources...
>
> That is exactely what he deed. Check *your* sources.

No... ...it is NOT what Cook did.

There was an internal memo sent around Apple that quoted someone else:

'That portion of the memo was written by NCMEC Executive Director of
Strategic Partnerships Marita Rodriguez. "I know it's been a long day
and that many of you probably haven't slept in 24 hours. We know that
the days to come will be filled with the screeching voices of the
minority. Our voices will be louder. Our commitment to lift up kids who
have lived through the most unimaginable abuse and victimizations will
be stronger," Rodriguez wrote.

<https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2021/08/apple-says-it-will-refuse-govt-demands-to-expand-photo-scanning-beyond-csam/>

Lewis

Aug 11, 2021, 4:55:39 PM8/11/21
In message <frJQI.39752$Fx8....@fx45.iad> JF Mezei <jfmezei...@vaxination.ca> wrote:
> On 2021-08-10 14:05, Lewis wrote:

>> That is not at all what is happening. Photos are only scanned when they
>> are uploaded to iCloud,

> The tag is already part of omage as it is being transfered to iLcoud so
> it must be scalled (an CPU intensive process) prior to the upload.

You have no idea what the fuck you are talking about.

> Stopp trying to protect Apple purposefully confusing text.

Stop making shit up.

--
"Are you pondering what I'm pondering?"
"Oooh, I think so Brain, but I think I'd rather eat the Macarena."

Wolffan

Aug 15, 2021, 11:21:39 AM8/15/21
On 2021 Aug 11, JF Mezei wrote
(in article <frJQI.39752$Fx8....@fx45.iad>):

> On 2021-08-10 14:05, Lewis wrote:
>
> > That is not at all what is happening. Photos are only scanned when they
> > are uploaded to iCloud,
>
> The tag is already part of omage as it is being transfered to iLcoud so
> it must be scalled (an CPU intensive process) prior to the upload.
> Stopp trying to protect Apple purposefully confusing text.
>
> They knew there would be opposition and prepared their PR campaign with
> enough weasel words to let the apologists (you) do their work. Meanwhile
> Tim Cook called its customers who oppose its move screeching voices of
> the minority to try to discredit the very serious privacy experts who
> have hige opposition to Apple's move.

Tim Cook didn’t say that. The person who did is quoted on Ars Tech... and
you clearly have. done _zero_ research into the question. This one line
utterly invalidates any point that you might have had, as you clearly did not
do the work necessary to make a point.

> With the system in place, the FBI now only needs a court order and Apple
> all of a sudden will be scanning for any/all images and/or other content.

They’re not scanning. You haven’t done your homework.

> Constrast that with Apple telling the FBI to get lost for the San
> Bernadino case because it just wasn't possible. Now Apple has built in
> those backdoors to make it possible.

They haven’t set up a backdoor.

You’re being unusually silly, well beyond your normal level of silliness.