Re: using Mac OSX printer drivers for Epson DX5000

19 views
Skip to first unread message

Ray Laughton

unread,
Aug 14, 2010, 8:46:39 AM8/14/10
to
Jolly Roger <jolly...@pobox.com> wrote:

> > > >
> > > > > Do these exist ?
> > > > >
> > > > > I recently moved offices, and these (4 in number) are the only
> > > > > printers within walking distance.
> > > >
> > > > Dell does not make printers. What they do is take other vendors'
> > > > machines and rebadge them. Most 'Dell' printers are really Lexmark or
> > > > Canon printers. If yours are Canon printers, you might be able to go to
> > > > Canon's site and identify which one by visual inspection, and then get a
> > > > driver which might work. If yours are Lexmark printers, then it is quite
> > > > likely that you are out of luck. You could try to go to Lexmark's site
> > > > and ID the model upon which your printer was based, but usually Dell or
> > > > Lexmark made sufficient changes during the rebadging that Lexmark's
> > > > drivers won't work anymore.
> > >
> > > Sorry to be late to the discussion...
> > >
> > > The Dell 1125, like many cheap printers, is a Graphics Device Interface
> > > (GDI) printer, sometimes called a "Winprinter". The reason they are so
> > > cheap is that all the processing is done by the host computer, leaving
> > > the actual printer with not much more than its physical printing and
> > > paper handling mechanism.
> > >
> > > Like the old Winmodems they rely specificly on Windows to operate at
> > > all. I don't know if it is possible to print to them via running Windows
> > > on your Mac, but there is no way to print to them directly from Mac OS
> > > or Linux.
> > >
> > > Hope this helps
> >
> > It sorta definitively answers the OP's question. He can't print to this
> > thing from MacOS. Period.
> >
> > He can run XP or Win 7 via Bootcamp or in a virtual machine and print to
> > it.
> >
> > Or just get over it and buy a printer that "just works" for himself to
> > use at the office.
>
> ...and ask his boss/company to make a better purchase next time - one
> that isn't limited to just one platform.

Hi all, have a similar problem but one which I hope is easier to solve.
We use an Epson Stylus DX5000 printer which we got with a G4 Intel
Macbook Pro bought in 2007. Because we already had a printer this was
only unpacked about a year ago and has turned out to be quite a gem as
it also has scanning and photocoping capabilities. Someone (blush)
recently clicked on the reset button and now the driver for this printer
is gone. I've tried d/loading new drivers for it from the Epson website,
and in fact I have got my Minimac (Motorola) to scan with it, but no
printing. Can't seem to get the DX5000 driver into the list to choose
from, just the generic Gimp printer which does nothing.
With the MacBook I got nowhere, just a message saying that the driver
was already downloaded..
Anyone have suggestions how I can get the printer going on either Mac?
Thanks.

--
Ray

Jolly Roger

unread,
Aug 14, 2010, 9:59:03 AM8/14/10
to
In article <1jn7xey.1j440sboaflnhN%rlau...@invalid.com>,
rlau...@invalid.com (Ray Laughton) wrote:

> Minimac (Motorola)

I think you must mean a "Mac mini G4".

--
Send responses to the relevant news group rather than email to me.
E-mail sent to this address may be devoured by my very hungry SPAM
filter. Due to Google's refusal to prevent spammers from posting
messages through their servers, I often ignore posts from Google
Groups. Use a real news client if you want me to see your posts.

JR

Ray Laughton

unread,
Aug 14, 2010, 3:01:47 PM8/14/10
to
Jolly Roger <jolly...@pobox.com> wrote:

> In article <1jn7xey.1j440sboaflnhN%rlau...@invalid.com>,
> rlau...@invalid.com (Ray Laughton) wrote:
>
> > Minimac (Motorola)
>
> I think you must mean a "Mac mini G4".

Um, guess so. Below is the system profiler.
Does that help answer my question?

Machine Name: Mac mini
Machine Model: PowerMac10,1
CPU Type: PowerPC G4 (1.1)
CPU Speed: 1.25 GHz
L2 Cache (per CPU): 512 KB
Memory: 1 GB
Bus Speed: 167 MHz
Boot ROM Version: 4.8.9f1

--
RL

Jolly Roger

unread,
Aug 14, 2010, 3:30:40 PM8/14/10
to

> We use an Epson Stylus DX5000 printer which we got with a G4 Intel
> Macbook Pro bought in 2007. Because we already had a printer this was
> only unpacked about a year ago and has turned out to be quite a gem as
> it also has scanning and photocoping capabilities. Someone (blush)
> recently clicked on the reset button

What reset button?

Fred McKenzie

unread,
Aug 14, 2010, 11:22:10 PM8/14/10
to

> We use an Epson Stylus DX5000 printer which we got with a G4 Intel
> Macbook Pro bought in 2007.

Ray-

I'm using Snow Leopard. When adding a printer, I can let the computer
choose a driver. If I don't like its choice, I can click on Print
Using: and choose Select Printer Software. A separate Printer Software
window opens. EPSON DX5000 Series is one of the choices.

Perhaps your printer is not supported by an earlier system on the G4,
but doesn't the Intel machine at least have Leopard?

Have you kept your system software up-to-date? I seem to recall one or
two updates that included a bunch of printer drivers.

Fred

Andreas Rutishauser

unread,
Aug 15, 2010, 1:39:14 AM8/15/10
to
Salut Ray


> Hi all, have a similar problem but one which I hope is easier to solve.
> We use an Epson Stylus DX5000 printer which we got with a G4 Intel
> Macbook Pro bought in 2007.

Apple never made G4 Intel computers...

> Because we already had a printer this was
> only unpacked about a year ago and has turned out to be quite a gem as
> it also has scanning and photocoping capabilities. Someone (blush)
> recently clicked on the reset button and now the driver for this printer
> is gone. I've tried d/loading new drivers for it from the Epson website,
> and in fact I have got my Minimac (Motorola)

What should that be?

> to scan with it, but no
> printing. Can't seem to get the DX5000 driver into the list to choose
> from, just the generic Gimp printer which does nothing.
> With the MacBook I got nowhere, just a message saying that the driver
> was already downloaded..
> Anyone have suggestions how I can get the printer going on either Mac?

What operating system are you runing on your Macs?

It might be that your version of the operating system offers "Epson USB"
as a choice of connection...
Drivers seem to be different for PPC and Intel Macs...

Cheers
Andreas

--
MacAndreas Rutishauser, <http://www.MacAndreas.ch>
EDV-Dienstleistungen, Hard- und Software, Internet und Netzwerk
Beratung, Unterstuetzung und Schulung
<mailto:and...@MacAndreas.ch>, Fon: 044 / 721 36 47

Message has been deleted

Ray Laughton

unread,
Aug 15, 2010, 12:06:40 PM8/15/10
to
was available on the printer setup or choose printer dialogue box. I'm
sorry I ever spotted it..


Jolly Roger <jolly...@pobox.com> wrote:

> In article <1jn7xey.1j440sboaflnhN%rlau...@invalid.com>,
> rlau...@invalid.com (Ray Laughton) wrote:
>
> > We use an Epson Stylus DX5000 printer which we got with a G4 Intel
> > Macbook Pro bought in 2007. Because we already had a printer this was
> > only unpacked about a year ago and has turned out to be quite a gem as
> > it also has scanning and photocoping capabilities. Someone (blush)
> > recently clicked on the reset button
>
> What reset button?

Ray

Ray Laughton

unread,
Aug 15, 2010, 12:06:38 PM8/15/10
to
Fred McKenzie <fm...@aol.com> wrote:

I'm using OS 10.4.11 on both Macs. The printer worked fine with the
laptop until 2 weeks ago, just before we moved house. So upgrading the
OS should not be necessary to print.
Just tested the printer on the Minimac again: Printer driver is
there, and it prints properly after running the nozzle cleaning program!
Don't ask me whats happened in the meantime.. Lots of rebooting after
all the downloads perhaps..?
Thanks anyways and hold thumbs that the laptop will also come right
please.

Ray

Ray Laughton

unread,
Aug 15, 2010, 12:06:39 PM8/15/10
to
Andreas Rutishauser <and...@macandreas.ch> wrote:

> Salut Ray
>
> In article <1jn7xey.1j440sboaflnhN%rlau...@invalid.com>,
> rlau...@invalid.com (Ray Laughton) wrote:
>
>
> > Hi all, have a similar problem but one which I hope is easier to solve.
> > We use an Epson Stylus DX5000 printer which we got with a G4 Intel
> > Macbook Pro bought in 2007.
>
> Apple never made G4 Intel computers...

They do, and did.

> > Because we already had a printer this was
> > only unpacked about a year ago and has turned out to be quite a gem as
> > it also has scanning and photocoping capabilities. Someone (blush)
> > recently clicked on the reset button and now the driver for this printer
> > is gone. I've tried d/loading new drivers for it from the Epson website,
> > and in fact I have got my Minimac (Motorola)
>
> What should that be?

PPC, pre-Intel, plenty of names to choose from if you know Mac history.
Fact is the PPC CPUs were made by Motorola in those days..

> > to scan with it, but no
> > printing. Can't seem to get the DX5000 driver into the list to choose
> > from, just the generic Gimp printer which does nothing.
> > With the MacBook I got nowhere, just a message saying that the driver
> > was already downloaded..
> > Anyone have suggestions how I can get the printer going on either Mac?
>
> What operating system are you runing on your Macs?

10.4.11 on both

> It might be that your version of the operating system offers "Epson USB"
> as a choice of connection...
> Drivers seem to be different for PPC and Intel Macs...

That is offered on both Macs, but the DX5000 was never on the 'Epson
USB' list. Since today it appears automatically on the Minimac printer
choice. I'm happy but its not my printer, my wife needs it on her
Macbook.

> Cheers
> Andreas

Ciao Andreas

Ray

nospam

unread,
Aug 15, 2010, 12:12:04 PM8/15/10
to
In article <1jna1xa.icm1kwt2it7uN%rlau...@invalid.com>, Ray Laughton
<rlau...@invalid.com> wrote:

> > > Hi all, have a similar problem but one which I hope is easier to solve.
> > > We use an Epson Stylus DX5000 printer which we got with a G4 Intel
> > > Macbook Pro bought in 2007.
> >
> > Apple never made G4 Intel computers...
> They do, and did.

nope. the g4 was made by motorola/freescale, not intel.

> > > Because we already had a printer this was
> > > only unpacked about a year ago and has turned out to be quite a gem as
> > > it also has scanning and photocoping capabilities. Someone (blush)
> > > recently clicked on the reset button and now the driver for this printer
> > > is gone. I've tried d/loading new drivers for it from the Epson website,
> > > and in fact I have got my Minimac (Motorola)
> >
> > What should that be?
> PPC, pre-Intel, plenty of names to choose from if you know Mac history.
> Fact is the PPC CPUs were made by Motorola in those days..

so why did you say apple made a g4 intel computer?

Jolly Roger

unread,
Aug 15, 2010, 3:16:43 PM8/15/10
to
In article <1jna288.1o55mzgiz6rvgN%rlau...@invalid.com>,
rlau...@invalid.com (Ray Laughton) wrote:

> Jolly Roger <jolly...@pobox.com> wrote:
>
> > In article <1jn7xey.1j440sboaflnhN%rlau...@invalid.com>,
> > rlau...@invalid.com (Ray Laughton) wrote:
> >
> > > We use an Epson Stylus DX5000 printer which we got with a G4 Intel
> > > Macbook Pro bought in 2007. Because we already had a printer this was
> > > only unpacked about a year ago and has turned out to be quite a gem as
> > > it also has scanning and photocoping capabilities. Someone (blush)
> > > recently clicked on the reset button
> >
> > What reset button?
>

> was available on the printer setup or choose printer dialogue box. I'm
> sorry I ever spotted it..


[please don't top post - thanks]

I'm not aware of any Reset button in the System Preferences > Print &
Fax panel.

Ray Laughton

unread,
Aug 15, 2010, 7:13:29 PM8/15/10
to
nospam <nos...@nospam.invalid> wrote:

I got the G4 mixed up with the dual core or whatever Intel uses nowdays.
So sorry.
Much more interesting is how to get the laptop talking to the printer.
Are you as wise with practical things as you are with Mac CPU history?
:-)

Ray Laughton

unread,
Aug 15, 2010, 7:13:30 PM8/15/10
to
Jolly Roger <jolly...@pobox.com> wrote:

> In article <1jna288.1o55mzgiz6rvgN%rlau...@invalid.com>,
> rlau...@invalid.com (Ray Laughton) wrote:
>
> > Jolly Roger <jolly...@pobox.com> wrote:
> >
> > > In article <1jn7xey.1j440sboaflnhN%rlau...@invalid.com>,
> > > rlau...@invalid.com (Ray Laughton) wrote:
> > >
> > > > We use an Epson Stylus DX5000 printer which we got with a G4 Intel
> > > > Macbook Pro bought in 2007. Because we already had a printer this was
> > > > only unpacked about a year ago and has turned out to be quite a gem as
> > > > it also has scanning and photocoping capabilities. Someone (blush)
> > > > recently clicked on the reset button
> > >
> > > What reset button?
> >
> > was available on the printer setup or choose printer dialogue box. I'm
> > sorry I ever spotted it..
>
>
> [please don't top post - thanks]
>
> I'm not aware of any Reset button in the System Preferences > Print &
> Fax panel.

I can't for the life of me find that reset button now, but that may be
because that choice of drivers is gone..?
How the heck do I get that driver into the choice of Epson USB drivers
again. When it came right in the Minimac it was just there, no searching
needed.
From reading in forums this evening I see the driver was probably on the
original DVDs that came with the OS install for the Macbook.. and what
Apple supplies Epson does not duplicate on their website..!
--

Matt Broughton

unread,
Aug 15, 2010, 8:55:08 PM8/15/10
to
In article <1jnalnw.1n0w2801gzhog9N%rlau...@invalid.com>,
rlau...@invalid.com (Ray Laughton) wrote:

> Jolly Roger <jolly...@pobox.com> wrote:

> > I'm not aware of any Reset button in the System Preferences > Print &
> > Fax panel.
>
> I can't for the life of me find that reset button now, but that may be
> because that choice of drivers is gone..?

OS X 10.4.x. Printer Setup Utility -> Printer Setup Utility menu ->
Reset Printing System.



> How the heck do I get that driver into the choice of Epson USB drivers
> again. When it came right in the Minimac it was just there, no searching
> needed.

Printer Setup Utility. Click Add printer icon. Then click More
Printers at the bottom of the Printer Browser. Select EPSON USB. Your
printer should appear. Highlight your printer and then use the Page
Setup to select the printer margin(s) you want to add. I believe you
have to have a separate printer queue for each margin/paper type
setting, eg, Standard, Minimum Margins, Sheet Feeder, Roll etc. At
least that is how my SP 1280 works.

--
Matt Broughton
Only relatives are absolute.

Andreas Rutishauser

unread,
Aug 16, 2010, 1:07:57 AM8/16/10
to
Salut Ray

In article <1jna1xa.icm1kwt2it7uN%rlau...@invalid.com>,
rlau...@invalid.com (Ray Laughton) wrote:

> Andreas Rutishauser <and...@macandreas.ch> wrote:
> > In article <1jn7xey.1j440sboaflnhN%rlau...@invalid.com>,
> > rlau...@invalid.com (Ray Laughton) wrote:
> >
> >
> > > Hi all, have a similar problem but one which I hope is easier to solve.
> > > We use an Epson Stylus DX5000 printer which we got with a G4 Intel
> > > Macbook Pro bought in 2007.
> >
> > Apple never made G4 Intel computers...
> They do, and did.

I beg to disagree. Are you probably mixing up Intel and IBM?


>
> > > Because we already had a printer this was
> > > only unpacked about a year ago and has turned out to be quite a gem as
> > > it also has scanning and photocoping capabilities. Someone (blush)
> > > recently clicked on the reset button and now the driver for this printer
> > > is gone. I've tried d/loading new drivers for it from the Epson website,
> > > and in fact I have got my Minimac (Motorola)
> >
> > What should that be?
> PPC, pre-Intel, plenty of names to choose from if you know Mac history.
> Fact is the PPC CPUs were made by Motorola in those days..

I know the Apple history a bit...
And it was mainly IBM who developed the G3, G4 and G5 processors.And
they produced a big part of them...
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PowerPC>

For an Apple computer I prefer the name Apple gave them. They never
called a computer Minimac as far as i remember. The model you seem to
refer to is named "Mac mini", precised maybe by processor type and speed
(i.e G4 1.25GHz).
A good indication is the Model Identifier found i.e. in System Profiler,
which would be PowerMac10,1 for an 1.25GHz Mac mini.


>
> > > to scan with it, but no
> > > printing. Can't seem to get the DX5000 driver into the list to choose
> > > from, just the generic Gimp printer which does nothing.
> > > With the MacBook I got nowhere, just a message saying that the driver
> > > was already downloaded..
> > > Anyone have suggestions how I can get the printer going on either Mac?
> >
> > What operating system are you runing on your Macs?
> 10.4.11 on both
>
> > It might be that your version of the operating system offers "Epson USB"
> > as a choice of connection...
> > Drivers seem to be different for PPC and Intel Macs...
> That is offered on both Macs, but the DX5000 was never on the 'Epson
> USB' list. Since today it appears automatically on the Minimac printer
> choice. I'm happy but its not my printer, my wife needs it on her
> Macbook.

You are aware of the fact, that printers only show when connected to the
computer?
Maybe a "Safe boot" can help (keep the shift key pressed during startup,
and do an immediate restart after that)

Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages