2.7GHz Mac Mini needed

Ray Laughton

Jun 20, 2012, 9:07:56 PM6/20/12
These are built to order models, can't find them at Amazon as they arent
listed according to specs. No access to BTO as working in the 3rd
world. No-one visiting in the coming months either.. I can't wait
another year for Apple to think about a model refresh as my old Mini is
very full and very slow (but quiet) so I thought I should get the
fastest 2011 model to minimize obsolescence..
Anyone have other ideas how to find a refurbished one?
Are there signif. speed differences to the 2.5GHz wrt database search,
photo processing?
Any chance of connecting the T-Bolt port to an ADC cable (old Cinema
Display 2002)? :-)
thanks if you can help.
--
ray

David Empson

Jun 21, 2012, 2:43:21 AM6/21/12
Ray Laughton <rlau...@invalid.com> wrote:

> These are built to order models, can't find them at Amazon as they arent
> listed according to specs. No access to BTO as working in the 3rd
> world. No-one visiting in the coming months either.. I can't wait
> another year for Apple to think about a model refresh as my old Mini is
> very full and very slow (but quiet) so I thought I should get the
> fastest 2011 model to minimize obsolescence..

Apple often separates the MacBook Pro and desktop model refreshes by a
couple of months. In 2011, the iMac came three months after the MacBook
Pro and the Mini was another month later (possibly held back until Lion
was released). In 2010, there was a two month gap from the MacBook Pro
to the Mac Mini, and the iMac was another month later. 2009 was more
confusing, with two Mac Mini updates bracketing a MacBook update.

The notebooks tend to get updated first because they are more popular,
and with initial supply constraints on processors or other components,
Apple may not have enough spare to cater to the desktop market until the
initial order rush on notebooks dies down and/or component supplies
improve.

I'd expect to see an updated Mac Mini and iMac in the near future
(probably July or August, with Mountain Lion preinstalled), with spec
bumps along the lines of what changed in the 13" MacBook Pro and
non-retina 15" MacBook Pro. No external changes, apart from USB 3.0
replacing USB 2.0.

On that basis, an updated Mac Mini is likely to have the similar
processors to the 13" MacBook Pro in the standard configuration
non-server models, i.e. about 2.5 GHz dual-core Core i5 and 2.9 GHz
dual-core Core i7.

Not sure which processor they would use in the updated server model,
perhaps 2.3 GHz quad-core Core i7, same as the entry level 15" MacBook
Pro.

> Anyone have other ideas how to find a refurbished one?
> Are there signif. speed differences to the 2.5GHz wrt database search,
> photo processing?

I can't give you real world performance, but Geekbench comparisons
suggest the 2.7 GHz i7 model is about 4% faster than the 2.5 GHz i5
model (probably better than that for CPU-bound tasks).

http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench2/search?q=macmini5%2C2

> Any chance of connecting the T-Bolt port to an ADC cable (old Cinema
> Display 2002)? :-)

I've seen mention of the use of Mini DisplayPort to DVI adapter, in
series with a DVI to ADC adapter. You would need the expensive "hydra"
adapter with its own power supply, but I expect you already have that if
you have the display plugged into the DVI port on an older Mini.

--
David Empson
dem...@actrix.gen.nz

bigdude

Jun 23, 2012, 3:17:34 PM6/23/12
David Empson <dem...@actrix.gen.nz> wrote:

> Ray Laughton <rlau...@invalid.com> wrote:
>
> > These are built to order models, can't find them at Amazon as they arent
> > listed according to specs. No access to BTO as working in the 3rd
> > world. No-one visiting in the coming months either.. I can't wait
> > another year for Apple to think about a model refresh as my old Mini is
> > very full and very slow (but quiet) so I thought I should get the
> > fastest 2011 model to minimize obsolescence..
>
> Apple often separates the MacBook Pro and desktop model refreshes by a
> couple of months. In 2011, the iMac came three months after the MacBook
> Pro and the Mini was another month later (possibly held back until Lion
> was released). In 2010, there was a two month gap from the MacBook Pro
> to the Mac Mini, and the iMac was another month later. 2009 was more
> confusing, with two Mac Mini updates bracketing a MacBook update.
>
> The notebooks tend to get updated first because they are more popular,
> and with initial supply constraints on processors or other components,
> Apple may not have enough spare to cater to the desktop market until the
> initial order rush on notebooks dies down and/or component supplies
> improve.
>
> I'd expect to see an updated Mac Mini and iMac in the near future
> (probably July or August, with Mountain Lion preinstalled), with spec
> bumps along the lines of what changed in the 13" MacBook Pro and
> non-retina 15" MacBook Pro. No external changes, apart from USB 3.0
> replacing USB 2.0.
USB3 would be fine, I'd like to be able to skip Lion.

> On that basis, an updated Mac Mini is likely to have the similar
> processors to the 13" MacBook Pro in the standard configuration
> non-server models, i.e. about 2.5 GHz dual-core Core i5 and 2.9 GHz
> dual-core Core i7.
>
> Not sure which processor they would use in the updated server model,
> perhaps 2.3 GHz quad-core Core i7, same as the entry level 15" MacBook
> Pro.
I don't need a server, fortunately. Reckon at some point there will be
heat issues, ever since the power supply was intergrated. A more
powerful fan will help, but then its main attraction (quiet running) is
gone.

> > Anyone have other ideas how to find a refurbished one?
> > Are there signif. speed differences to the 2.5GHz wrt database search,
> > photo processing?
>
> I can't give you real world performance, but Geekbench comparisons
> suggest the 2.7 GHz i7 model is about 4% faster than the 2.5 GHz i5
> model (probably better than that for CPU-bound tasks).
thanks

> > Any chance of connecting the T-Bolt port to an ADC cable (old Cinema
> > Display 2002)? :-)
>
> I've seen mention of the use of Mini DisplayPort to DVI adapter, in
> series with a DVI to ADC adapter. You would need the expensive "hydra"
> adapter with its own power supply, but I expect you already have that if
> you have the display plugged into the DVI port on an older Mini.
You're right, I have the 'hydra'. That'll be great as I'm not keen on
the shiny displays. I'm sure there will be compromises re screen
resolution but it'll be worthwhile.