Programming...

Anthony Roberts

Feb 25, 2003, 8:46:05 PM2/25/03
I can't find the GCC binaries for Mac... does anyone know where I can
get a copy?

TIA

Ryan Graham

Feb 25, 2003, 9:09:14 PM2/25/03
in article x%U6a.335948$Yo4.12...@news1.calgary.shaw.ca, Anthony Roberts
at anthonyrcalgary-a...@hotmail.com wrote on 2/25/03 6:46 PM:

> I can't find the GCC binaries for Mac... does anyone know where I can
> get a copy?
>
> TIA

http://developer.apple.com/

Sign up for a free account and download the developer tools (assuming you're
looking to do work on OSX).

Anthony Roberts

Feb 25, 2003, 9:22:11 PM2/25/03
> Sign up for a free account and download the developer tools (assuming you're
> looking to do work on OSX).

Does that come with the command line compiler?

That occured to me, but I wanted to avoid the 300 mb download, as I've
already downloaded a lot just setting up this iBook, and shaw yells at
me if I download too much. I'm already signed so I could get java 1.4.1.

Thank you.

Wayne C. Morris

Feb 25, 2003, 9:58:33 PM2/25/03
In article <nxV6a.84184$na.16...@news2.calgary.shaw.ca>,
Anthony Roberts <anthonyrcalgary-a...@hotmail.com>
wrote:

> > Sign up for a free account and download the developer tools (assuming you're
> > looking to do work on OSX).
>
> Does that come with the command line compiler?

Yes, the Developer Tools includes the gcc compiler which can be invoked
from the command line.

> That occured to me, but I wanted to avoid the 300 mb download, as I've
> already downloaded a lot just setting up this iBook, and shaw yells at
> me if I download too much. I'm already signed so I could get java 1.4.1.

You might already have the Developer Tools. If you bought the full OS X
'Jaguar' package, it includes the Developer Tools on a separate CD. If
you bought a new Mac that had 10.2 pre-installed, there should be a disk
image on your hard disk which contains the Developer Tools.

Anthony Roberts

Feb 25, 2003, 11:37:50 PM2/25/03
> Yes, the Developer Tools includes the gcc compiler which can be invoked
> from the command line.

> You might already have the Developer Tools. If you bought the full OS X

> 'Jaguar' package, it includes the Developer Tools on a separate CD. If
> you bought a new Mac that had 10.2 pre-installed, there should be a disk
> image on your hard disk which contains the Developer Tools.

I bought an iBook that had OS 10.2.1 pre-installed, but I can't see the
disk image. I've looked over the cd's that came with it too, no luck.

I'm willing to download it, and I don't need it right away as Java is my
language of choice, but there's some stuff that Java is just overkill for.

Thanks for the information.

Dan Lowe

Feb 26, 2003, 2:00:15 AM2/26/03
In comp.sys.mac.system Anthony Roberts <anthonyrcalgary-a...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I bought an iBook that had OS 10.2.1 pre-installed, but I can't see the
> disk image. I've looked over the cd's that came with it too, no luck.

Look in /Applications/Installers/

--
Even if you do learn to speak correct English, whom are you going to speak
it to? -Clarence Darrow

Eric

Feb 26, 2003, 12:09:56 PM2/26/03
Wayne C. Morris <wayne....@this.is.invalid> wrote:

> You might already have the Developer Tools. If you bought the full OS X
> 'Jaguar' package, it includes the Developer Tools on a separate CD. If
> you bought a new Mac that had 10.2 pre-installed, there should be a disk
> image on your hard disk which contains the Developer Tools.

However, the disk image probably has the older version of the Developer
Tools. Getting the updated version (December 2002) of the tools is
worthwhile for the bug fixes and features - I know Project Builder had
many issues and the new tools offer support for external editors.

--
== Eric Gorr ========= http://www.ericgorr.net ========= ICQ:9293199 ===
benefit and harm." - Sun Tzu

Greg Weston

Feb 26, 2003, 8:55:02 PM2/26/03
In article <3CZ6a.32989$A%3.41...@ord-read.news.verio.net>, Dan Lowe
<d...@ingeni.us> wrote:

> Even if you do learn to speak correct English, whom are you going to
> speak it to? -Clarence Darrow

It's funny because it's flawed.

Anthony Roberts

Feb 26, 2003, 9:37:08 PM2/26/03
> However, the disk image probably has the older version of the Developer
> Tools. Getting the updated version (December 2002) of the tools is
> worthwhile for the bug fixes and features - I know Project Builder had
> many issues and the new tools offer support for external editors.

I only need to write command line stuff for now. I'm mostly playing with
data structures atm. As long as the C standard libraries work, I'm fine.

:)

Anthony Roberts

Feb 26, 2003, 9:38:18 PM2/26/03
> Look in /Applications/Installers/

aha thank you... the post said it was a disk image, so I was looking for
.dmg files. :)