Monitor refresh rate configuration?

1 view

Greg Ewing

Aug 12, 2008, 7:49:03 PM8/12/08
Recently I've encountered a number of games that insist
on switching my display to a refresh rate that my
monitor can't handle.

Some poking around with gdb suggests that this is due
to calling aglSetFullScreen with a refresh rate of 0,
which causes the highest refresh rate supported by
the display hardware to be chosen.

Unfortunately, while my display hardware goes up to
120Hz, the monitor I'm using can't cope with anything
higher than 75Hz.

Is there a configuration setting anywhere that I can
change to tell the system what the maximum refresh
rate of my monitor is?

--
Greg

Kevin McMurtrie

Aug 12, 2008, 10:25:46 PM8/12/08
In article <6gem8cF...@mid.individual.net>,
Greg Ewing <greg....@canterbury.ac.nz> wrote:

Since about a decade ago, the monitor specifies its capabilities through
the connector cable. Your monitor is probably defective.

--
Google is a pro-spamming service. I will not see your reply if you use Google.

greg

Aug 13, 2008, 6:25:44 AM8/13/08
Kevin McMurtrie wrote:

> Since about a decade ago, the monitor specifies its capabilities through
> the connector cable. Your monitor is probably defective.

It's not defective, it just isn't an Apple monitor.
It's an ordinary monitor connected through the VGA
adaptor dongle.

--
Greg

greg

Aug 13, 2008, 6:58:38 AM8/13/08
I wrote:

> It's an ordinary monitor connected through the VGA
> adaptor dongle.

To expand on that a bit, it's a fairly old VGA
monitor that doesn't seem to provide any information
about itself.

According to System Profiler, I've got "No display
connected". :-)

So I'm wondering whether there's any other way
of telling the system about the monitor's
capabilities.

--
Greg

Kevin McMurtrie

Aug 13, 2008, 11:20:26 PM8/13/08
In article <6gftfuF...@mid.individual.net>,
greg <gr...@cosc.canterbury.ac.nz> wrote:

Some of the old VGA adaptors would let you dial in the identification.
A computer surplus store would be a good place to check.

There are various resolution hacking utilities but I'm guessing that the
game will talk straight to the driver.

greg

Aug 15, 2008, 10:23:13 PM8/15/08
Kevin McMurtrie wrote:

> There are various resolution hacking utilities but I'm guessing that the
> game will talk straight to the driver.

I've found a solution. There's a utility called
DisplayConfigX that allows you to override whatever
the display says or doesn't say about itself.

I used it to set the maximum vertical frequency
to 75Hz and save a new set of resolutions based on
that. All the games that were giving me trouble
before now work perfectly!

--
Greg