Help converting old PPC apps to Intel-ready XCode?

Ted

Jun 24, 2009, 2:58:10 PM6/24/09
A non-newsgroup friend of mine has a few old carbonized PPC apps
developed with the now long obsolete CodeWarrior 8.2. He wonders if
there are any companies or individual programmers specializing in
converting old CW PPC apps to XCode Intel-ready apps? He's not looking
for major conversions to Cocoa, just simply converting old PPC CW C
code into Intel-ready XCode C code. Thanks for any thoughts, pointers,
etc...

David Phillip Oster

Jun 25, 2009, 2:13:42 AM6/25/09
In article <240620091458108682%th...@notreadtdgizmo.com>,
Ted <th...@notreadtdgizmo.com> wrote:

Then he'll have to pay again to convert those crufty Intel Carbon apps
to Cocoa apps once Carbon disappears. I don't know when that will be,
but I wouldn't bet on Carbon still being supported a few years from now.

Jonathan Hoyle

Jul 10, 2009, 11:33:51 AM7/10/09

Depending on how well the code is written, the effort to port
Carbonized PPC code to Xcode for Mach-O ppc/x86 can be easy to
moderate in its difficulty level. This is certainly a good first
step. However, stopping there and leaving the code in Carbon has its
drawbacks. In particular, there is no possibility of moving this app
forward, as Apple is no longer developing Carbon. (It's in
maintenance mode only.) Furthermore, any chance of going to 64-bit is
lost too.

If this code is well modularized (such as with a Model-View-Controller
architecture), you may be able to replace the GUI portion (view) of
the code with Cocoa, leaving the business logic (model) aside.
Although there certainly may be Carbon calls mixed into the model,
they are much more likely to be simply fixed on a point-by-point
basis. View code, on the other hand, will likely have to be
completely wiped out.

Good Luck in your endeavors!

Regards,

Jonathan Hoyle
http://www.jonhoyle.com

Simon Slavin

Jul 10, 2009, 4:57:31 PM7/10/09
In article <240620091458108682%th...@notreadtdgizmo.com>

Ted<th...@notreadtdgizmo.com> wrote:
> A non-newsgroup friend of mine has a few old carbonized PPC apps
> developed with the now long obsolete CodeWarrior 8.2. He wonders if
> there are any companies or individual programmers specializing in
> converting old CW PPC apps to XCode Intel-ready apps?

He left it too long. The easy conversion was from Carbon to OS X.
But OS support for Carbon is nearly dead: OS X is now ten years old
which is a lifetime in computer systems. Even more important is that
unless the applications were intended to do complicated things,
chances are that they're no longer needed: either the OS or some
popular free applicationhas already taken their places.

Rewriting these apps from scratch with current development systems
will be faster, easier to debug, and result in more usable results
than trying to 'update' old code. Sorry, but ten years is just too
long to leave it.

--
I'm using an evaluation license of nemo since 193 days.
You should really try it!