CW 9.0 AppleScript, Leopard

Aandi Inston

Sep 24, 2008, 4:57:27 AM9/24/08
Well, it's probably a long shot but...

We currently keep CodeWarrior 9.0 running to deliver versions of our
software for users with older software. This has worked well on Mac OS
X.3 and tests were going well on X.4.

However, current builds are with xcode, and producing a complete
update therefore requires running software on two Macs. It is
desirable to bring the two together on Leopard.

Now, CW 9.0.6 installs and initial signs are that it seems to run OK
on Leopard (except for a message "Interface Builder Connection not
found"). However, the building process is based on AppleScript.

AppleScript seems to fail completely. For example

tell application "Code Warrior IDE"
make project
end tell

fails with "The variable project is not defined".

Does anyone have any insights into any way forward from this, or are
we just stuck with multiple Macs?

Is there any other way to automate CW builds except AppleScript?
Aandi Inston

Aandi Inston

Sep 24, 2008, 1:26:42 PM9/24/08
qu...@dial.pipex.con (Aandi Inston) wrote:

>Is there any other way to automate CW builds except AppleScript?

A partial response to my own question: the command line utilities with
CW9 seem to be just the job. All I really needed was "build target X
in project Y".

cmdide -proj -bew -z "X" "Y"

AppleScript also allowed changing the target directory, but that isn't
essential.

Still would be nice to know how to get rid of the pop-up message
referred to.

Jonathan Hoyle

Sep 25, 2008, 11:27:35 AM9/25/08
On Sep 24, 4:57 am, qu...@dial.pipex.con (Aandi Inston) wrote:
> Well, it's probably a long shot but...
>
> We currently keep CodeWarrior 9.0 running to deliver versions of our
> software for users with older software. This has worked well on Mac OS
> X.3 and tests were going well on X.4.
>
> However, current builds are with xcode, and producing a complete
> update therefore requires running software on two Macs. It is
> desirable to bring the two together on Leopard.
>
> Now, CW 9.0.6 installs and initial signs are that it seems to run OK
> on Leopard (except for a message "Interface Builder Connection not
> found"). However, the building process is based on AppleScript.
>
> AppleScript seems to fail completely. For example
>
> tell application "Code Warrior IDE"
>   make project
> end tell
>
> fails with "The variable project is not defined".
>
> Does anyone have any insights into any way forward from this, or are
> we just stuck with multiple Macs?
>
> Is there any other way to automate CW builds except AppleScript?

You mentioned that you are using CodeWarrior 9.0? Are you aware that
there were free updates going to version 9.6 for the Mac and up to 9.4
for Windows. I don't know if Freescale still supplies these updaters,
but I have them if you have need for them.

The final Mac release was CodeWarrior 10 in the spring of 2006, but
this is not available any longer. It is relatively hard to find,
since it was sold as a $99 download-only version.

I mention this only because there are bug fixes which may or may not
affect you. Particularly when trying to run older versions of
CodeWarrior on newer operating systems, this may be helpful.

Regards,

Jonathan Hoyle
http://www.jonhoyle.com