Space Bar on a PB5300C (french Keyboard)

0 vue

Martine Gingras

non lue,
3 mars 1997, 03:00:0003/03/1997

Hi!

Just got my PB back from *another* repair from Apple, and my space bar acts
strangely: first, it didn't seem to acknowledge the spaces if I pushed on
either sides (as if only the middle of the bar could activate a space). I
got it back there, and then it seemed fine, but I realized that the space
stayed down every time I used it.

I played with the screws back there (screwing the side ones tight, and the
middle one a little less), and found a kind of "middle-of the road"
solution. But it's not too efficient. Anyone has had the same problem, and
found a way out of the maze?

Shall I decide to live with a space bar that works 1/3 of the time (when I
push the middle...) or with one that stays pushed? Or is there any other
solution that returning it back to Apple?

Both are quite annoying...

Thanks to reply directly to me, my server never keeps the News messages for
too many hours :(

martine gingras
mar...@mlink.net

Simon Slavin

non lue,
6 mars 1997, 03:00:0006/03/1997

In article <martini-ya0235800...@news.mlink.net>,
mar...@mlink.net (Martine Gingras) wrote:

> Just got my PB back from *another* repair from Apple, and my space bar acts

> strangely: [snip]

> I played with the screws back there (screwing the side ones tight, and the
> middle one a little less), and found a kind of "middle-of the road"
> solution. But it's not too efficient.

My PB5300 had a 'ctrl' key with the same problem. It sounds
like the space bar isn't correctly assembled. If you want to
avoid sending the whole thing back to Apple you could try the
following /without/ voiding your warranty, if you're confident
with handling screwdrivers and such stuff:

Find the instructions for inserting new memory at the back of
your manual. Follow them as far as getting the keyboard out
of the case. Press the space key several times and see if it
rubs on anything obvious or has something broken falling out
of the socket ! Sometimes just taking it apart and putting
it back together fixes it, so you could put your PB back
together now if you don't want to proceed further. If you're
feeling brave, however ...

While holding the keyboard and being careful not to pull the
keyboard-ribbon out of its socket, gently ease the space key
off of its mounts. If you think it requires excessive force,
give up and reassemble your PB -- you don't want to break it.
Observe the mounts closely ... it's not to tricky to put the
character keys back together, though I've never needed to do
it with the space key.

Do not apply a lubricant to the key ! You'll crack the rubber
'springs' or otherwise spoil the works. If you can't fix it
mechanically, just reassemble. Adjusting the tension of the
screws will, as you wrote, change the tension pattern of the
keyboard which may make some keys work better than others.

Good luck.

Simon.
--
Simon Slavin -- Computer Contractor. | "Turn up your soundcard ...
http://www.hearsay.demon.co.uk | and let's dance."

Répondre à tous
Répondre à l'auteur
Transférer