MacBook Pro (MBP) rebooted when its desk got slammed hard?

Ant

Jul 13, 2020, 4:50:11 PM7/13/20
Hello.

Earlier, the desk got slammed hard and 2012 13.3" MBP, with its updated mac
OS v10.14.6, rebooted back to its SSD unlock screen and had to log in
manually. Nothing was lost so far and even Firefox v78.0.1 still remember
its logged web site login. MBP was connected with its magnetic power AC and
still has its original battery with almost 100% juice. Weird/Odd! :/

Thank you for reading and hopefully answering. :)
--
Life's so loco! ..!.. *isms, sins, hates, (d)evil, illnesses (e.g., COVID-19/2019-nCoV/SARS-CoV-2), deaths (RIP), heat waves, fires, out(r)ages, dramas, unlucky #4, 2020, greeds, bugs (e.g., crashes & female mosquitoes), etc.
/\___/\:( Ant(Dude) @ http://aqfl.net & http://antfarm.home.dhs.org /

Lewis

Jul 13, 2020, 7:20:52 PM7/13/20
In message <1pmdnVKLCIZgVZHC...@earthlink.com> Ant <a...@zimage.comANT> wrote:
> Hello.

> Earlier, the desk got slammed hard and 2012 13.3" MBP, with its updated mac
> OS v10.14.6, rebooted back to its SSD unlock screen and had to log in
> manually. Nothing was lost so far and even Firefox v78.0.1 still remember
> its logged web site login. MBP was connected with its magnetic power AC and
> still has its original battery with almost 100% juice. Weird/Odd! :/

Not weird or odd at all. Mac Laptops have an accelerometer specifically
for this.

--
Bowling scores are way up, minigolf scores are way down, and we have
more excellent waterslides than any other planet we communicate

Ant

Jul 15, 2020, 1:28:40 AM7/15/20
In comp.sys.mac.portables Lewis <g.k...@gmail.com.dontsendmecopies> wrote:
> In message <1pmdnVKLCIZgVZHC...@earthlink.com> Ant <a...@zimage.comANT> wrote:
> > Hello.

> > Earlier, the desk got slammed hard and 2012 13.3" MBP, with its updated mac
> > OS v10.14.6, rebooted back to its SSD unlock screen and had to log in
> > manually. Nothing was lost so far and even Firefox v78.0.1 still remember
> > its logged web site login. MBP was connected with its magnetic power AC and
> > still has its original battery with almost 100% juice. Weird/Odd! :/

> Not weird or odd at all. Mac Laptops have an accelerometer specifically
> for this.

Wow. Are there more details about this?
--
Life's so loco! ..!.. *isms, sins, hates, (d)evil, illnesses (e.g., COVID-19/2019-nCoV/SARS-CoV-2), deaths (RIP), interruptions, stresses, heat waves, fires, out(r)ages, dramas, unlucky #4, 2020, greeds, bugs (e.g., crashes & female mosquitoes), etc.

Your Name

Jul 15, 2020, 2:15:08 AM7/15/20
On 2020-07-15 05:28:34 +0000, Ant said:
> In comp.sys.mac.portables Lewis <g.k...@gmail.com.dontsendmecopies> wrote:
>> In message <1pmdnVKLCIZgVZHC...@earthlink.com> Ant
>> <a...@zimage.comANT> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello.
>>>
>>> Earlier, the desk got slammed hard and 2012 13.3" MBP, with its updated
>>> mac OS v10.14.6, rebooted back to its SSD unlock screen and had to log
>>> in
>>> manually. Nothing was lost so far and even Firefox v78.0.1 still remember
>>> its logged web site login. MBP was connected with its magnetic power AC
>>> and still has its original battery with almost 100% juice. Weird/Odd! :/
>>
>> Not weird or odd at all. Mac Laptops have an accelerometer specifically
>> for this.
>
> Wow. Are there more details about this?

Sudden Motion Sensor
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sudden_Motion_Sensor>

I don't know that it's supposed to reboot. It's meant to park the heads
on a hard drive so that there is less chance of the drive being damaged
in a fall. Of course, it's pretty much useless with an SSD equiped Mac.

Ant

Jul 15, 2020, 4:07:35 AM7/15/20
Thanks and interesting. Yeah, it did reboot. It was just a hard slam/hit on the desk
(not a drop). :(

Lewis

Jul 15, 2020, 4:51:40 AM7/15/20
In message <POmdnZbAI_KfCZPC...@earthlink.com> Ant <a...@zimage.comANT> wrote:
> In comp.sys.mac.portables Lewis <g.k...@gmail.com.dontsendmecopies> wrote:
>> In message <1pmdnVKLCIZgVZHC...@earthlink.com> Ant <a...@zimage.comANT> wrote:
>> > Hello.

>> > Earlier, the desk got slammed hard and 2012 13.3" MBP, with its updated mac
>> > OS v10.14.6, rebooted back to its SSD unlock screen and had to log in
>> > manually. Nothing was lost so far and even Firefox v78.0.1 still remember
>> > its logged web site login. MBP was connected with its magnetic power AC and
>> > still has its original battery with almost 100% juice. Weird/Odd! :/

>> Not weird or odd at all. Mac Laptops have an accelerometer specifically
>> for this.

> Wow. Are there more details about this?

It was covered in either a product announcement for the aluminum MBP
unibody or a keynote many years ago (more than a decade)

You can look for "Sudden Motion Sensor" if you're curious.

--
You've never heard of the Millennium Falcon?

Lewis

Jul 15, 2020, 4:53:01 AM7/15/20
In message <8pCdnbv4UtDfJJPC...@earthlink.com> Ant <a...@zimage.comANT> wrote:
> In comp.sys.mac.portables Your Name <Your...@yourisp.com> wrote:

>> > Wow. Are there more details about this?

>> Sudden Motion Sensor
>> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sudden_Motion_Sensor>

>> I don't know that it's supposed to reboot. It's meant to park the heads
>> on a hard drive so that there is less chance of the drive being damaged
>> in a fall. Of course, it's pretty much useless with an SSD equiped Mac.

> Thanks and interesting. Yeah, it did reboot. It was just a hard slam/hit on the desk

It was enough of a shoc that the system took the steps to protect the
drive and the data.

> (not a drop). :(

No, not a sad face emoticon at all. The correct reaction is "Whew!"

--
"Are you pondering what I'm pondering?"
"Oooh, I think so Brain, but I think I'd rather eat the Macarena."

Your Name

Jul 15, 2020, 4:32:39 PM7/15/20
On 2020-07-15 08:07:30 +0000, Ant said:

> In comp.sys.mac.portables Your Name <Your...@yourisp.com> wrote:

>>> Wow. Are there more details about this?
>>
>> Sudden Motion Sensor
>> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sudden_Motion_Sensor>
>>
>> I don't know that it's supposed to reboot. It's meant to park the heads
>> on a hard drive so that there is less chance of the drive being damaged
>> in a fall. Of course, it's pretty much useless with an SSD equiped Mac.
>
> Thanks and interesting. Yeah, it did reboot. It was just a hard
> slam/hit on the desk (not a drop). :(

It detects sudden movement of any type, a fall or a hard knock, so that
the drive heads can be parked safely (or at least safer).

Ant

Jul 15, 2020, 10:41:10 PM7/15/20
In comp.sys.mac.portables Lewis <g.k...@gmail.com.dontsendmecopies> wrote:
> >> Sudden Motion Sensor
> >> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sudden_Motion_Sensor>

> >> I don't know that it's supposed to reboot. It's meant to park the heads
> >> on a hard drive so that there is less chance of the drive being damaged
> >> in a fall. Of course, it's pretty much useless with an SSD equiped Mac.

> > Thanks and interesting. Yeah, it did reboot. It was just a hard slam/hit on the desk

> It was enough of a shoc that the system took the steps to protect the
> drive and the data.

So, it still does that for SSDs too? I was surprised to see everything back even the logged
Firefox v78.0.2 web site session.

> > (not a drop). :(

> No, not a sad face emoticon at all. The correct reaction is "Whew!"

:D

Ant

Jul 15, 2020, 10:43:15 PM7/15/20
In comp.sys.mac.portables Your Name <Your...@yourisp.com> wrote:
> > Thanks and interesting. Yeah, it did reboot. It was just a hard
> > slam/hit on the desk (not a drop). :(

> It detects sudden movement of any type, a fall or a hard knock, so that
> the drive heads can be parked safely (or at least safer).

But SSDs don't have heads?

Your Name

Jul 15, 2020, 11:05:08 PM7/15/20
On 2020-07-16 02:43:10 +0000, Ant said:
> In comp.sys.mac.portables Your Name <Your...@yourisp.com> wrote:
>>> Thanks and interesting. Yeah, it did reboot. It was just a hard
>>> slam/hit on the desk (not a drop). :(
>>
>> It detects sudden movement of any type, a fall or a hard knock, so that
>> the drive heads can be parked safely (or at least safer).
>
> But SSDs don't have heads?

True, which why it's pointless on SSD-based Mac laptops. You can
actually turn it off, but it's probably not even worth the effort.

Ant

Jul 15, 2020, 11:14:57 PM7/15/20
Yeah, something else could break from the sudden jolt, drop, etc. Might as well play safe!

Lewis

Jul 16, 2020, 12:00:51 AM7/16/20
In message <87WdnX5obo_cI5LC...@earthlink.com> Ant <a...@zimage.comANT> wrote:

>> > Thanks and interesting. Yeah, it did reboot. It was just a hard slam/hit on the desk

>> It was enough of a shoc that the system took the steps to protect the
>> drive and the data.

> So, it still does that for SSDs too? I was surprised to see everything back even the logged
> Firefox v78.0.2 web site session.

You said a 2012 MBP, so that machine was designed for spinning hard
drives, though SSDs were an option.

As the wikipedia page states, it only exists in machines that support
hard drives (though the page says laptops, and I think that is not
accurate, but I may be misremembering.

--
I'm giving up eating chocolate for a month.
Correction: I'm giving up; eating chocolate for a month.

Your Name

Jul 16, 2020, 3:24:23 AM7/16/20
On 2020-07-16 03:14:52 +0000, Ant said:
> In comp.sys.mac.portables Your Name <Your...@yourisp.com> wrote:

>>> But SSDs don't have heads?
>
>> True, which why it's pointless on SSD-based Mac laptops. You can
>> actually turn it off, but it's probably not even worth the effort.
>
> Yeah, something else could break from the sudden jolt, drop, etc. Might
> as well play safe!

There are no other moving parts, so there's nothing else the sensor can
be used for. It is solely for hard drives (inlcuding Apple's Fusion
drives). It's not possible to stop the screen getting cracked or hinges
breaking, for example.

nospam

Jul 16, 2020, 10:22:58 AM7/16/20
In article <reovb3$17vg$1...@gioia.aioe.org>, Your Name
<Your...@YourISP.com> wrote:

> There are no other moving parts, so there's nothing else the sensor can
> be used for. It is solely for hard drives (inlcuding Apple's Fusion
> drives). It's not possible to stop the screen getting cracked or hinges
> breaking, for example.

not including fusion drives.

the sudden motion sensor is in macbooks (and the older powerbooks and
ibooks), which do not come with fusion drives.