5300 Space Bar (one more time...)

1 vue

Martine Gingras

non lue,
14 mars 1997, 03:00:0014/03/1997

Hi fellow powerbookers...

I sent a message a few days ago in this newsgroup about a problem with my
space bar, asking if there were any explanations for one that "sticks"
under the lower bezel and sometimes miss spaces if pressed too much on the
sides... (thanks to those who answered :))

I finally sent my PowerBook back for repair (note that my PowerBook started
having those problems after the last repair... :-().

Well after changing the keyboard (which now have a sticky "n" key! Grrrr!)
and checking everything else, the tech concluded that all that needed to be
done has been... and still, my space bar
1) doesn't "feel" as the other keys (you sense that it touches the bottom,
it makes noises and is a little loose on one side) and
2) sometimes sticks under the lower bezel (not too much of a problem, though)

... but at least doesn't miss spaces.

I also have to note that the space bar, when the keyboard isn't in the
powerbook, feels perfect... so it must be something IN the PowerBook that
changes its feel!

I guess it's no use that I return the PowerBook again without having some
explanation to provide to the tech, who now assumes that it must simply
be... like that :( And we enough played with screws to know that it changes
only slightly the keyboard feel.

So my question here is: anyone knows what the [beeeeeb], underneath or
around the keyboard, could explain such a problem?

Please answer directly,

Martine Gingras
http://www.mlink.net/~martini/
mar...@mlink.net

Simon Slavin

non lue,
16 mars 1997, 03:00:0016/03/1997

In article <martini-ya0235800...@news.mlink.net>,
mar...@mlink.net (Martine Gingras) wrote:

> Well after changing the keyboard (which now have a sticky "n" key! Grrrr!)
> and checking everything else, the tech concluded that all that needed to be
> done has been... and still, my space bar
> 1) doesn't "feel" as the other keys (you sense that it touches the bottom,
> it makes noises and is a little loose on one side) and
> 2) sometimes sticks under the lower bezel (not too much of a problem, though)
>
> ... but at least doesn't miss spaces.
>
> I also have to note that the space bar, when the keyboard isn't in the
> powerbook, feels perfect... so it must be something IN the PowerBook that
> changes its feel!

Thank you for your clear description of what's happening, especially
the last part. It would seem that your motherboard has been installed
slightly unevenly. The centre screw on the base of the PB5300 runs
directly up into the keyboard and if it doesn't have a free run, the
keyboard gets distorted. For reference, the 'feel' of the space bar
on my own 5300 is exactly the same as that of the 'enter' key. It's
possible that something on the space key will wear away slightly in
use and the action will improve.

Unfortunately, I can't recommend you return your 5300 yet again until
and unless the problem gets worse. It's very difficult to assemble
portable computers consistantly ... the tolerances are much tighter
than those for desktop computers and it's tricky to get them right.
Instead, you could go back to playing with the tightness of the
three screws which hold your keyboard in place. I hope you can find
a satisfactory combination of positions.

Simon.
--
Simon Slavin -- Computer Contractor. | "Turn up your soundcard ...
http://www.hearsay.demon.co.uk | and let's dance."

Répondre à tous
Répondre à l'auteur
Transférer