Three-button mouse?

Stephen Tedder

Jun 24, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/24/95
According to my MacWarehouse catalog, the Mouse Systems A3 Mouse
has three buttons and "works with A/UX and XWindows." Anyone
have any experience with this gadget?
--
ste...@tulsix.utulsa.edu

Martin Jourdan

Jun 26, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/26/95
In article <950624182...@tulsix.utulsa.edu>,
ste...@tulsix.utulsa.edu (Stephen Tedder) wrote:

> According to my MacWarehouse catalog, the Mouse Systems A3 Mouse
> has three buttons and "works with A/UX and XWindows." Anyone
> have any experience with this gadget?

Avoid it by all means, the software is awful (althoiugh the mouse itself
is nice, it's an optical mouse like the one of Sun workstations).

I strongly recommend Logitech's MouseMan.

Martin Jourdan

Action Charme, INRIA, Rocquencourt, France
Phone +33-1-39-63-54-35, fax +33-1-39-63-56-98, Martin....@inria.fr
#include <std_disclaimer.h>

US...@macmj.inria.fr

Jun 26, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/26/95
---- Internet E-mail Header ----
From:
hookup!usc!math.ohio-state.edu!jussieu.fr!news-rocq.inria.fr!macmj.inria.fr!us...@ames.arpa
Sender: macapp...@applelink.apple.com
To: MacApp3Tech$@Applelink.apple.com

Fred Hucht

Jun 26, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/26/95

0

>Avoid it by all means, the software is awful (althoiugh the mouse itself
>is nice, it's an optical mouse like the one of Sun workstations).

>I strongly recommend Logitech's MouseMan.

Hi.

It should be noted that the new Logitech MouseMan (manufactured after
approx. 1993) only works as one button mouse under A/UX, all three
buttons send the same event. I bought this mouse and I was very
disappointed about that. The MacOS driver for the mouse doesn't work
under A/UX, as the Apple Desktop Bus isn't supported under A/UX.

For the MouseMan, I wrote an A/UX device driver that makes it possible
to query the mouse button state via an ioctl. I also hacked the X11R6
XServer to support the mouse. The driver is not supported under the
A/UX Finder, that is another story (one would have to extend the
driver to generate something like keyboard events (Opt-Left,
Opt-Right) when the mouse buttons are pressed...).

The driver is called "Freds enhancement device" (fred) and is
available under

ftp://ftp.Uni-Duisburg.DE/pub/source/fred-1.0.tar.gz

The XServer diffs can be found under

ftp://ftp.Uni-Duisburg.DE/pub/source/X11/A-UX/R6/X11R6-AUX-fred-1.0-diffs.gz

a compiled XServer binary under

ftp://ftp.Uni-Duisburg.DE/pub/binaries/A-UX/XmacII-fred-1.0.gz

Have fun,

Fred

PS: If someone has problems with this driver, feel free to contact me.

--
---------
Fred Hucht, Institute of Theoretical Physics, University of Duisburg, Germany

Dennis Ryan

Jun 27, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/27/95
In article <Martin.Jourdan-...@macmj.inria.fr>,
Martin....@inria.fr (Martin Jourdan) wrote:

> In article <950624182...@tulsix.utulsa.edu>,
> ste...@tulsix.utulsa.edu (Stephen Tedder) wrote:
>
> > According to my MacWarehouse catalog, the Mouse Systems A3 Mouse
> > has three buttons and "works with A/UX and XWindows." Anyone
> > have any experience with this gadget?
>

> Avoid it by all means, the software is awful (althoiugh the mouse itself
> is nice, it's an optical mouse like the one of Sun workstations).

I'm using one now, not as ergonomic as the apple one, but i really like
it, have had no problems with the software, and because it's optical i
never have to clean it out like a regular one.

the only problem i've had is when it's humid, it doesn't track as well
because of the metal mousepad

BTW: you're probably posting this to the wrong newsgroups:
(comp.sys.mac.oop.macapp3, comp.sys.mac.programmer.help,
comp.sys.mac.system, comp.unix.aux) you would have done better with
comp.sys.mac.hardware

> I strongly recommend Logitech's MouseMan.

actually i've heard, though not through first hand experience, of people
having trouble with logitech's software

i've read good reviews of kensingtons thinking mouse (4 button)

US...@village.tiac.net

Jun 28, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/28/95

Matthew E. Martini

Jun 30, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/30/95
In <3smjtn$4...@h20-hrze.uni-duisburg.de> fr...@hal6000.thp.Uni-Duisburg.DE (Fred Hucht) writes:
>The driver is called "Freds enhancement device" (fred) and is
>available under
>ftp://ftp.Uni-Duisburg.DE/pub/source/fred-1.0.tar.gz
>ftp://ftp.Uni-Duisburg.DE/pub/source/X11/A-UX/R6/X11R6-AUX-fred-1.0-diffs.gz
>ftp://ftp.Uni-Duisburg.DE/pub/binaries/A-UX/XmacII-fred-1.0.gz

Fred,

These ftp directories don't seem to exist:

tigana.martini 1 $ ftp ftp.Uni-Duisburg.DE
Connected to h20-hrz.uni-duisburg.de.
220 h20-hrze FTP server (Version wu-2.4(10) Tue Feb 21 15:43:44 MEZ 1995) ready.
ftp> ls -FC
200 PORT command successful.
150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for /bin/ls.
bin/ etc/ ftpadmin/ lib/ lost+found/ pub/
ftp> cd pub
250 CWD command successful.
ftp> ls -FC
200 PORT command successful.
150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for /bin/ls.
NOTE ghost/ linux/ misc/ net/ os2/ unix/
X11/ gnu/ ls-lR msdos/ oberon/ tex/ win31/

It looks like neither /pub/source or /pub/binaries exist. :(
I did look around for the files but I couldn't fine them. Could
you please post the locations to find the files.

Thanks
Matt

Matthew E. Martini, PE mar...@nynexst.com (914) 421-0401
NYNEX Science & Technology m.ma...@ieee.org (914) 644-2153 Fax
_______________________________________________________________________pgp_

Fred Hucht

Jun 30, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/30/95
mar...@tigana.nynexst.com (Matthew E. Martini) writes:

>Fred,

>These ftp directories don't seem to exist:

> [...They really don't exist :-(]

Oh shit :-[, I knew that this will happen someday. The corrected URLs are:

ftp://ftp.thp.Uni-Duisburg.DE/pub/source/fred-1.0.tar.gz
ftp://ftp.thp.Uni-Duisburg.DE/pub/source/X11/A-UX/R6/X11R6-AUX-fred-1.0-diffs.gz
ftp://ftp.thp.Uni-Duisburg.DE/pub/binaries/A-UX/XmacII-fred-1.0.gz

How could I forget our own subdomain...

>Thanks
>Matt

Thanks for the note,

Fred

Mark Chrisman

Jul 3, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/3/95
In article <dryan-27069...@village.tiac.net>, dr...@mactemps.com
(Dennis Ryan) wrote:

> Martin....@inria.fr (Martin Jourdan) wrote:
>
> > ste...@tulsix.utulsa.edu (Stephen Tedder) wrote:
> >
> > [about the A3 mouse]

> > Avoid it by all means, the software is awful (althoiugh the mouse itself
> > is nice, it's an optical mouse like the one of Sun workstations).
>
> I'm using one now, not as ergonomic as the apple one, but i really like
> it, have had no problems with the software, and because it's optical i
> never have to clean it out like a regular one.

The software by itself is lousy, but if you have QuicKeys you can do
wonders. (Map the mouse buttons to a function key, then do whatever you
want with QuicKeys.)

In spite of the skimpy software and the dubious ergonomics, it's worth
getting because it's optical. It never sticks, and I'm relieved not to
have to clean it all the time!

--
Mark Chrisman

US...@modem172.ucdavis.edu

Jul 3, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/3/95
---- Internet E-mail Header ----
From:
hookup!usenet.eel.ufl.edu!europa.chnt.gtegsc.com!library.ucla.edu!agate!news.ucdavis.edu!modem172.ucdavis.edu!us...@ames.arpa
Sender: macapp...@applelink.apple.com
To: MacApp3Tech$@Applelink.apple.com

Herman L. Marshall

Jul 9, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/9/95
(Dennis Ryan) wrote:

> In article <Martin.Jourdan-...@macmj.inria.fr>,
> Martin....@inria.fr (Martin Jourdan) wrote:
>
> > In article <950624182...@tulsix.utulsa.edu>,
> > ste...@tulsix.utulsa.edu (Stephen Tedder) wrote:
> >
> > > According to my MacWarehouse catalog, the Mouse Systems A3 Mouse
> > > has three buttons and "works with A/UX and XWindows." Anyone
> > > have any experience with this gadget?

I use the A3 Trackball, which is fine. Sure, the software is not
special but it comes up under A/UX working as a 3-button track ball should.

I like it because I can park the track ball next to my keyboard on the
keyboard tray so I don't have to use the metal optical mousepad.

I've used this trackball for about 5 months now and have had no troubles.

Herman
--
Herman L. Marshall
Eureka Scientific, Inc.

Ken Mitton

Jul 9, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/9/95
Mine arrived missing one of the buttons and the software. I got an oldish
Logitech Trackman (the square type, not the hand-shaped one) and it works
great. I recently switched news servers and missed most of this thread;
has anyone found any good 3-button optical mice (I'm sick of cleaning my
trackball), either the A3 or something else? And BTW, will the Thinking
Mouse (mechanical, 4 buttons) or any of the trackpads works as 3-button
mice under A/UX?

In article <hermanm-0907...@dwkm59.usa1.com>, her...@usa1.com
(Herman L. Marshall) wrote:

--Ken Mitton
mit...@colorado.edu
http://ucsu.colorado.edu/~mittonk/Home.html

Jeffrey Johnson

Jul 10, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/10/95
Ken Mitton (mit...@colorado.edu) wrote:
: Mine arrived missing one of the buttons and the software. I got an oldish

: Logitech Trackman (the square type, not the hand-shaped one) and it works
: great. I recently switched news servers and missed most of this thread;
: has anyone found any good 3-button optical mice (I'm sick of cleaning my
: trackball), either the A3 or something else? And BTW, will the Thinking
: Mouse (mechanical, 4 buttons) or any of the trackpads works as 3-button
: mice under A/UX?
<snip>

While we're on the subject, will any of these mice (I'm especially
lokking at Logitech's MouseMan) allow you to set the buttons so that a
drag can send the same sequence as the regular mouse button + a modifier
key (Cmd, opt) being held down while dragging? I've got some software
that looks for Cmd w/ the mouse, and it would be nice to do this with one
hand...
BTW, I would stay away from the MicroSpeed 3-button... it has this hokey
"chording" arrangement where you have to hold down one button, click
another one 1-4 times, then release just to send a key sequence... ugh....

Thanks
Jeff

--
Jeffrey Johnson jjoh...@crl.com
If you believe what you read, the sky is thick with aliens who are designing

US...@tele-anx0119.colorado.edu

Jul 10, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/10/95
---- Internet E-mail Header ----
From:
usenet.kornet.nm.kr!usenet.hana.nm.kr!news.kreonet.re.kr!news.dacom.co.kr!news.uoregon.edu!gatech!howland.reston.ans.net!agate!boulder!tele-anx0119.colora

US...@dwkm59.usa1.com

Jul 10, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/10/95
---- Internet E-mail Header ----
From: