iPod not showing in Finder sidebar or desktop

TaliesinSoft

Sep 17, 2008, 10:28:10 AM9/17/08
When my iPod touch is connected to my MacBook Pro it does not appear in the
Finder's sidebar even thugh the "CDs, DVDs, and iPods" option is selected in
the Sidebar preferences pane for Finder. The same holds true for the Finder
Desktop preferences which are normally off but turning them on doesn't change
anything. The iPod does appear within iTunes.

My MacBook Pro is running OS X 5.5 and my iPod touch is running version 2.1
of the software. I'm running iTunes 8.

I'm curious as to whether others are experiencing the same oddity.

--
James Leo Ryan ..... Austin, Texas ..... talies...@me.com

Tom Stiller

Sep 17, 2008, 11:55:43 AM9/17/08
In article <0001HW.C4F67E2A...@News.Individual.NET>,
TaliesinSoft <talies...@mac.coom> wrote:

> When my iPod touch is connected to my MacBook Pro it does not appear in the
> Finder's sidebar even thugh the "CDs, DVDs, and iPods" option is selected in
> the Sidebar preferences pane for Finder. The same holds true for the Finder
> Desktop preferences which are normally off but turning them on doesn't change
> anything. The iPod does appear within iTunes.
>
> My MacBook Pro is running OS X 5.5 and my iPod touch is running version 2.1
> of the software. I'm running iTunes 8.
>
> I'm curious as to whether others are experiencing the same oddity.

With the iPod connected, drag the its icon from the desktop to the
sidebar.

--
Tom Stiller

PGP fingerprint = 5108 DDB2 9761 EDE5 E7E3 7BDA 71ED 6496 99C0 C7CF

Bream Rockmetteller

Sep 17, 2008, 11:59:02 AM9/17/08
On 2008-09-17 07:28:10 -0700, TaliesinSoft <talies...@mac.coom> said:

> When my iPod touch is connected to my MacBook Pro it does not appear in the
> Finder's sidebar even thugh the "CDs, DVDs, and iPods" option is selected in
> the Sidebar preferences pane for Finder. The same holds true for the Finder
> Desktop preferences which are normally off but turning them on doesn't change
> anything. The iPod does appear within iTunes.
>
> My MacBook Pro is running OS X 5.5 and my iPod touch is running version 2.1
> of the software. I'm running iTunes 8.
>
> I'm curious as to whether others are experiencing the same oddity.

I don't think iPod Touch supports disk mode as does the classic iPod,
therefore it doesn't mount in the Finder. That's probably the reason
for the existence of iPod apps such as Air Sharing.

I wouldn't be at all surprised that I'm completely wrong, however...

By the way, off topic, I've just installed 10.5.5 and noticed that
there's no spell checking as I type this...

--
Bream Rockmetteler
Donaldson's Dog Joy

TaliesinSoft

Sep 17, 2008, 12:08:56 PM9/17/08
On Wed, 17 Sep 2008 10:55:43 -0500, Tom Stiller wrote (in article
<tom_stiller-7CB0...@news.verizon.net>):

> In article <0001HW.C4F67E2A...@News.Individual.NET>,
> TaliesinSoft <talies...@mac.coom> wrote:
>
>> When my iPod touch is connected to my MacBook Pro it does not appear in
>> the Finder's sidebar even thugh the "CDs, DVDs, and iPods" option is
>> selected in the Sidebar preferences pane for Finder. The same holds true
>> for the Finder Desktop preferences which are normally off but turning
>> them on doesn't change anything. The iPod does appear within iTunes.
>>
>> My MacBook Pro is running OS X 5.5 and my iPod touch is running version
>> 2.1 of the software. I'm running iTunes 8.
>>
>> I'm curious as to whether others are experiencing the same oddity.
>
> With the iPod connected, drag the its icon from the desktop to the sidebar.

Unfortunately there is also no icon for the iPod touch on the desktop even
though the Finder preferences are set to show it. In both the sidebar and on
the desktop the various drives show if the option to display them is
selected.

Tom Stiller

Sep 17, 2008, 12:55:55 PM9/17/08
In article <0001HW.C4F695C8...@News.Individual.NET>,
TaliesinSoft <talies...@mac.coom> wrote:

Does the iPod Touch support "Enable disk use" and if so, have you
enabled it?

Chris Ridd

Sep 18, 2008, 5:00:24 AM9/18/08
On 2008-09-17 16:59:02 +0100, Bream Rockmetteller
<bream-dot.roc...@mac.com> said:

> On 2008-09-17 07:28:10 -0700, TaliesinSoft <talies...@mac.coom> said:
>
>> When my iPod touch is connected to my MacBook Pro it does not appear in the
>> Finder's sidebar even thugh the "CDs, DVDs, and iPods" option is selected in
>> the Sidebar preferences pane for Finder. The same holds true for the Finder
>> Desktop preferences which are normally off but turning them on doesn't change
>> anything. The iPod does appear within iTunes.
>>
>> My MacBook Pro is running OS X 5.5 and my iPod touch is running version 2.1
>> of the software. I'm running iTunes 8.
>>
>> I'm curious as to whether others are experiencing the same oddity.
>
> I don't think iPod Touch supports disk mode as does the classic iPod,
> therefore it doesn't mount in the Finder. That's probably the reason
> for the existence of iPod apps such as Air Sharing.
>
> I wouldn't be at all surprised that I'm completely wrong, however...

No, you (and Tom) are correct: there's no support for disk mode with
the new iPod Touches.

There are various apps on the App Store which let you store files on
the iPod Touch and iPhone. I'm using Air Share, as it came out a few
days ago and is currently free. Another one's called File Magnet.

> By the way, off topic, I've just installed 10.5.5 and noticed that
> there's no spell checking as I type this...

You've done something then, because it still detects spelling errors here.

Cheers,

Chris