Apple warning: ‘HUGE AirPods security flaw’ could leak your private info to strangers

Jim_Higgins

Apr 6, 2022, 2:43:35 PM4/6/22
Note: Not Breitbart

https://www.the-sun.com/tech/5063589/apple-warning-huge-airpods-security-flaw/
--
Thanks, Lord, that the best is yet to come

Jolly Roger

Apr 6, 2022, 3:10:15 PM4/6/22
On 2022-04-06, Jim_Higgins <gordi...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Note: Not Breitbart

Looks like someone struck a nerve! : D

> https://www.the-sun.com/tech/5063589/apple-warning-huge-airpods-security-flaw/

LOL... The money quote from the source article (Business Insider):

"Affected units have the display name "AirPod Mismatch," rather than
"New Owner Name's AirPods," in Apple's Find My app. When the new owner
taps the AirPod icon in the app, a pop-up message says the gadgets are
linked to a different Apple ID and asks them to check if one of the
earbuds is "mixed up with someone else's AirPods.""

SHIT... This is most definitely a "major security flaw" y'all! RUN FOR
THE HILLS!1!

Poor little Jimbo strikes out again. Just pathetic trolling. Please try
harder, Jimbo. This is downright *boring*.

JR

Wolffan

Apr 7, 2022, 8:35:59 AM4/7/22
On 06 Apr 2022, Jolly Roger wrote
(in article <jb66slF...@mid.individual.net>):

> On 2022-04-06, Jim_Higgins<gordi...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Note: Not Breitbart
>
> Looks like someone struck a nerve! : D
>
> > https://www.the-sun.com/tech/5063589/apple-warning-huge-airpods-security-fla
> > w/
>
> LOL... The money quote from the source article (Business Insider):
>
> "Affected units have the display name "AirPod Mismatch," rather than
> "New Owner Name's AirPods," in Apple's Find My app. When the new owner
> taps the AirPod icon in the app, a pop-up message says the gadgets are
> linked to a different Apple ID and asks them to check if one of the
> earbuds is "mixed up with someone else's AirPods.""
>
> SHIT... This is most definitely a "major security flaw" y'all! RUN FOR
> THE HILLS!1!
>
> Poor little Jimbo strikes out again. Just pathetic trolling. Please try
> harder, Jimbo. This is downright *boring*.

AirPods use BlueTooth. BT has a max range of about 100 metres. If you’re
not within 100 metres of the device to which the AirPods were linked, you
cannot access that device.

Now it is a problem if the AirPods can’t be reset, as they can’t be used.
This would be a problem for WalMart; they accepted the return, and now they
can’t resell the items. It’s a problem for Apple, Apple has to find out
what’s going on, and whether it affects other items. It’s not a problem
for the user, unless that user is within 100 metres of the old device.

nospam

Apr 7, 2022, 8:47:03 AM4/7/22
In article
<0001HW.27FF122D04...@news.eternal-september.org>,
Wolffan <akwo...@zoho.com> wrote:

> AirPods use BlueTooth. BT has a max range of about 100 metres.

that's for class 1 bluetooth, which airpods do not use, nor do very
many devices.

> If youąre
> not within 100 metres of the device to which the AirPods were linked, you
> cannot access that device.

airpods are class 2, the most common type, with a 30m range.

Wolffan

Apr 7, 2022, 8:56:21 AM4/7/22
On 07 Apr 2022, nospam wrote
(in article<070420220847028987%nos...@nospam.invalid>):

> In article
> <0001HW.27FF122D04...@news.eternal-september.org>,
> Wolffan <akwo...@zoho.com> wrote:
>

> > AirPods use BlueTooth. BT has a max range of about 100 metres.
>
> that's for class 1 bluetooth, which airpods do not use, nor do very
> many devices.
>
> > If you¹re
> > not within 100 metres of the device to which the AirPods were linked, you
> > cannot access that device.
>
> airpods are class 2, the most common type, with a 30m range.

So it’s even less of a problem, they have to be within 30 metres... And if
they can’t be linked to a new device, the AppleID info on them isn’t
accessible.Unless they’re within 30 metres of the old device.

nospam

Apr 7, 2022, 9:15:20 AM4/7/22
In article
<0001HW.27FF16F304...@news.eternal-september.org>,
Wolffan <akwo...@zoho.com> wrote:

> > airpods are class 2, the most common type, with a 30m range.
>
> So itıs even less of a problem, they have to be within 30 metres... And if
> they canıt be linked to a new device, the AppleID info on them isnıt
> accessible.Unless theyıre within 30 metres of the old device.

that's the theoretical limit, such as in an open field, free of any
interference.

here in the real world, the range for airpods is about 10-20m.