New Powerbook Questions

DMU

Jan 11, 2003, 11:03:39 PM1/11/03
Hi:
I am a IBMer who wants to purchase a new Powerbook with the 17" Monitor,
but has a few questions that I hope someone could answer:

1. I currently have Verizon DSL as my Internet Provider. Would I be able
to use the Airport and the Powerbook with this?

2. Any problems with customer support from Apple itself?

3. Anyone had experience with Virtual PC on a Powerbook? How does it run?

4. Am I safe to assume that the more RAM I get, the better the Powerbook
will work?

5. Can you really edit/create videos and make DVDs with this system?

6. Is the Kodak DX3215 digital camera (USB Connection) compatable with
Apple products?

7. How about the Lexmark 75x and the HP OfficeJet v40ix printers?

8. Is OS X really as stable as a villina version of Linux?

9. How is the error correction in OS X?

10. Could you plug in an external Keyboard and/or Mouse to this system?

Thanks in advance,

Dan

Kevin Stevens

Jan 11, 2003, 11:37:42 PM1/11/03

In article <vO5U9.6711$%V.6...@nwrddc02.gnilink.net>,
"DMU" <SPAMS...@STAYAWAY.COM> wrote:

> Hi:
> I am a IBMer who wants to purchase a new Powerbook with the 17" Monitor,
> but has a few questions that I hope someone could answer:
>
> 1. I currently have Verizon DSL as my Internet Provider. Would I be able
> to use the Airport and the Powerbook with this?

Yes.

> 2. Any problems with customer support from Apple itself?

Certainly. They're a large corporation - there will inevitably be
dissatisfied customers.

> 3. Anyone had experience with Virtual PC on a Powerbook? How does it run?

It's adequate for occasional use of non-graphically intense
applications. For example, it would be tolerable if you needed to set
up a VPN connection to work for email, and it needed to run under
Windows because of VPN client support. If you tried to work on it all
day as a replacement for a modern P4 machine you wouldn't be satisfied.

OTOH, the Microsoft Remote Desktop Client for OS X works very well and
is free, so if you have a suitable Windows machine you can attach with
RDC quite satisfactorily.

> 4. Am I safe to assume that the more RAM I get, the better the Powerbook
> will work?

Yes. The 512MB default is not a system minimum, and is quite usable,
but anyone who can afford $3400 for the machine itself would be well
advised to add another 512MB.

> 5. Can you really edit/create videos and make DVDs with this system?

Sure. It's comparable performance-wise to the single-cpu G4 Power Macs
of last year, which were quite comfortable doing so.

> 6. Is the Kodak DX3215 digital camera (USB Connection) compatable with
> Apple products?

Dunno. Look on the switch page at Apple, there's a compatibility list
somewhere. Realistically many digicam users buy a card reader rather
than hooking the camera directly, anyway - that's what I do with my
Canon D60.

> 7. How about the Lexmark 75x and the HP OfficeJet v40ix printers?

Very bland in design and coloration, IMHO. If you want a better answer,
ask a better question.

> 8. Is OS X really as stable as a villina version of Linux?

Inherently, yes; though the more appropriate comparison is to FreeBSD.
However, the more kernel extensions and extensive applications you run
on any machine, the less stable it's going to be. As a well-supported
client workstation, I run many more things on my PowerBook than I do on
my FreeBSD server, so I wouldn't consider it as stable. It's not all
unreliable, though - I never turn off my Pismo, simply put it to sleep
when not using it, and reboots are typically required only after various
installations/upgrades.

> 9. How is the error correction in OS X?

Don't understand the question. If you're talking about the filesystem,
depends on which you use. If you're talking about memory error
correction, ECC memory is supported in the Power Macs, I don't believe
it is in the PowerBooks.

> 10. Could you plug in an external Keyboard and/or Mouse to this system?

Sure. Any USB keyboard or mouse I've tried works fine (and vice versa,
I use an Apple Pro keyboard on my Windows machine).

KeS

http://www.newsfeed.com - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
-----== 100,000 Groups! - 19 Servers! - Unlimited Download! =-----

Heiko Recktenwald

Jan 12, 2003, 6:38:44 AM1/12/03
Kevin Stevens <Kevin_...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Inherently, yes; though the more appropriate comparison is to FreeBSD.
> However, the more kernel extensions and extensive applications you run
> on any machine, the less stable it's going to be. As a well-supported
> client workstation, I run many more things on my PowerBook than I do on
> my FreeBSD server, so I wouldn't consider it as stable. It's not all

FreeBSD makes a fine client machine too ;-)

H.

Greg Weston

Jan 12, 2003, 8:25:24 AM1/12/03
<SPAMS...@STAYAWAY.COM> wrote:

> Hi:
> I am a IBMer who wants to purchase a new Powerbook with the 17" Monitor,
> but has a few questions that I hope someone could answer:
>
> 1. I currently have Verizon DSL as my Internet Provider. Would I be able
> to use the Airport and the Powerbook with this?

Yes.

> 2. Any problems with customer support from Apple itself?

Hot and cold. I've rarely had need to contact them and never had a
anything but a good experience the times I have needed to. Other people
bring horror stories to the table.

> 3. Anyone had experience with Virtual PC on a Powerbook? How does it run?

Most recently I've run VPC 5 (with NT4 as the client) on an iBook 600.
It was usable, but I wouldn't play any recent games on it.

> 4. Am I safe to assume that the more RAM I get, the better the Powerbook
> will work?

Pretty safe, yes.

> 5. Can you really edit/create videos and make DVDs with this system?

Absolutely. It's very easy.

> 10. Could you plug in an external Keyboard and/or Mouse to this system?

Yes.

Jonathan Sanderson

Jan 12, 2003, 10:48:03 AM1/12/03
DMU <SPAMS...@STAYAWAY.COM> wrote:

> 1. I currently have Verizon DSL as my Internet Provider. Would I be able
> to use the Airport and the Powerbook with this?

I know nothing about Verizon, but if you end up with Ethernet and DHCP -
yes, the Mac will play quite happily.

> 2. Any problems with customer support from Apple itself?

No more so than any other manufacturer I've encountered. There are
horror stories, but many more silent successes.

> 3. Anyone had experience with Virtual PC on a Powerbook? How does it run?

Slowly, but usefully in some circumstances. Depends what you need.
Alternatives include VNC to a real PC - or, if you have a PC running
2000 Server or XP Pro, Windows Terminal Services. Yes, you really can
get that for Mac OS X. It's free, even.

In many cases, this group will be able to suggest an alternative native
application that does a similar job.

> 4. Am I safe to assume that the more RAM I get, the better the Powerbook
> will work?

Absolutely. 256Mb is workable but not nice; 512Mb a revelation; 768Mb
less of an improvement but still worthwhile; 1Gb & over mostly overkill
but still a Good Thing if you regularly run three web browsers, Mail,
news, NetNewsWire, Photoshop, Apache, MySQL, Toast, BBEdit, ImageReady,
GoLive, Word, iTunes, QuickTime and half a dozen other apps all at once.
Hey, it all helps. :-)

> 5. Can you really edit/create videos and make DVDs with this system?

Yes. Any Mac sold in the last... oh, three years or so, is perfectly
capable of editing DV with the bundled iMovie (the forthcoming v3 looks
like a significant advance, and will still be free). All Macs with
built-in DVD-R drives ship with iDVD, which allows straightforward DVD
authoring of photo gallery and movie files.

It's worth noting that while iMovie and iDVD are terrific apps, they
emphasise ease-of-use over flexibility. 'Pro' level apps solve that...
for a price.

> 6. Is the Kodak DX3215 digital camera (USB Connection) compatable with
> Apple products?

<http://www.apple.com/iphoto/compatibility/camera.html>
Yes.

> 7. How about the Lexmark 75x and the HP OfficeJet v40ix printers?

Hmm. As chance would have it, neither of those models is listed at:
<http://www.apple.com/macosx/upgrade/printers.html>

The OfficeJet D and G series are supported, by the looks of it, but the
v40 isn't mentioned. I'm not familiar with these things - anyone else?

If you mean the Lexmark X75 - yes:
<http://www.lexmark.com/US/products/tech_specs/0,1231,MzI3MXwx,00.html>

> 8. Is OS X really as stable as a villina version of Linux?

Vanilla OS X is pretty solid. Perhaps not as solid as Linux can be, but
the more-standardised hardware probably keeps the averages about the
same. But people use their Macs rather differently; loading them up with
third-party stuff can, sadly, cause problems. Rarely, but it happens.

In practice, many (most?) of us see uptimes that correspond with system
updates, security fixes, and things like QuickTime updates - hence we
reboot roughly once a month.

> 9. How is the error correction in OS X?

Eh? If you're referring to ECC RAM - we don't do that, unfortunately.
Even the xServe uses standard DDR memory. I'm not clear what else you
could mean.

> 10. Could you plug in an external Keyboard and/or Mouse to this system?

Yes. Standard USB items will work just fine - either Apple's or
third-party devices. In particular, two-button USB wheel mice (with
clickable wheels) work fine, with no additional software.

--
Jonathan Sanderson
'If I had more time, I would have written a shorter letter' (Pascal)

BreadW...@fractious.net

Jan 13, 2003, 11:16:20 AM1/13/03
Kevin Stevens <Kevin_...@Hotmail.com> writes:
> In article <vO5U9.6711$%V.6...@nwrddc02.gnilink.net>,
> "DMU" <SPAMS...@STAYAWAY.COM> wrote:

> > 3. Anyone had experience with Virtual PC on a Powerbook? How does it run?
>
> It's adequate for occasional use of non-graphically intense
> applications. For example, it would be tolerable if you needed to set
> up a VPN connection to work for email, and it needed to run under
> Windows because of VPN client support. If you tried to work on it all
> day as a replacement for a modern P4 machine you wouldn't be satisfied.

FWIW, Netlock's Contivity clienty for OS X came out a couple of
days ago and it works like a charm.

> OTOH, the Microsoft Remote Desktop Client for OS X works very well and
> is free, so if you have a suitable Windows machine you can attach with
> RDC quite satisfactorily.

So, too, does rdesktop under x-windows. Very nice.

No HTML in E-Mail! -- http://www.expita.com/nomime.html

Lee Phillips

Jan 13, 2003, 11:45:19 AM1/13/03
On Sun, 12 Jan 2003 15:48:03 +0000, Jonathan Sanderson <jona...@quernstone.com> has writ:

> DMU <SPAMS...@STAYAWAY.COM> wrote:
>
>> 1. I currently have Verizon DSL as my Internet Provider. Would I be able
>> to use the Airport and the Powerbook with this?

I have the same provider; you should have no problem. Note that you need not
buy Apple's Airport basestation; any brand should do, and you can do better
than Apple here.