Disk Warrior Working for DAYS!?!

gmark

Jul 29, 2008, 1:11:32 PM7/29/08
I've got a 500G external drive that is used for Time Machine that
crapped out and Alsoft Disk Warrior has been working on it for THREE
DAYS. I'd normally have given up long ago, but what I've read
indicates that this is not necessarily an indication of failure. From
what I've read, 100G drives running for days is not unheard of, and
this is 500.

What I DIDN'T read was the end result of a lot of these instances
where DW ran for days.

I'm using the machine it's now running on, since it's only running on
the TM volume, and the "Speed reduced by disk malfunction" count
stopped incrementing at 389 on the first day, where it is now.

Any success stories to make me decide to let it keep running?

Mark

Rich Siegel

Jul 30, 2008, 10:10:47 AM7/30/08
In article
<cc6767e1-cc8e-46fb...@b1g2000hsg.googlegroups.com>,
gmark <gm...@svs.com> wrote:

> I've got a 500G external drive that is used for Time Machine that
> crapped out and Alsoft Disk Warrior has been working on it for THREE
> DAYS.

Let it run. I had it take 36 hours for a recovery on a sick 80G drive
that was ultimately successful. Just make sure that you don't interrupt
power to the machine, or you'll be back at square one...

R.
--
Rich Siegel <sie...@spamcop.net>
Bare Bones Software, Inc. <http://www.barebones.com/>

Someday I'll look back on all this and laugh... until they sedate me.

gmark

Aug 4, 2008, 4:37:27 AM8/4/08
On Jul 30, 9:10 am, Rich Siegel <sie...@spamcop.net> wrote:
> In article
> <cc6767e1-cc8e-46fb-94e2-2651dcc05...@b1g2000hsg.googlegroups.com>,

>  gmark<gm...@svs.com> wrote:
> > I've got a 500G external drive that is used for Time Machine that
> > crapped out and Alsoft Disk Warrior has been working on it for THREE
> > DAYS.
>
> Let it run. I had it take 36 hours for a recovery on a sick 80G drive
> that was ultimately successful. Just make sure that you don't interrupt
> power to the machine, or you'll be back at square one...

I let it run for over four days and suddenly the DW dialog box
disappeared,
although the process/program was still running. I gave up and
restarted,
and the directory and files had apparently been recovered. I was
under the
impression that DW had spent the time simply rebuilding a replacement
directory and nothing would be done until I'd explicitly requested
that this
new directory be used to replace the old one. Apparently something was
fixed nevertheless, and I was able to recover all the data.

This is pretty amazing. I've sent an e-mail to DW tech. support to
explain this.

Mark

MartinC

Aug 5, 2008, 4:01:31 AM8/5/08

> I let it run for over four days and suddenly the DW dialog box disappeared,
> although the process/program was still running. I gave up and restarted, and
> the directory and files had apparently been recovered. I was under the
> impression that DW had spent the time simply rebuilding a replacement
> directory and nothing would be done until I'd explicitly requested that this
> new directory be used to replace the old one. Apparently something was fixed
> nevertheless, and I was able to recover all the data.
>
> This is pretty amazing. I've sent an e-mail to DW tech. support to explain
> this.

It will be interesting to hear their reply (please post it) because this
actually can't happen due to DW.

It is an essential functionality of DW that it does *not* modify the disk
unless you tell it to do. DW performs multiple attempts to access the disk
(use the original directory, search for duplicates of the directory, search
for stray and lost files) and builds a fresh and clean directory in memory.
Once it is finished, it is capable to mount the damaged disk using the new
directory (still in memory). But only when you - intentionally - tell it to
write down the new directory replacing the original one, it will modify the
disk (that will be a new phase with a new progress bar).

What you experienced is probably a random behaviour of the disk, that
sometimes fails (freezes) and sometimes reacts. If you can mount it now,
then save *all* of your data as soon as possible, because it is unlikely
that it will be working for good.