password no longer works

philo

Dec 2, 2021, 9:27:10 PM12/2/21
A friend brought over her Macbook which she is locked out of. She claims she never changed her password and that it happened after she linked it to her phone.
All she can do is log-in as guest.

I found that the machine has a BIOS lock so I cannot perform any of the normal reset procedures.

Before I have her take it to the Apple store...anything else I should try?

nospam

Dec 2, 2021, 9:55:14 PM12/2/21
In article <b5abfb3c99062d53...@news.novabbs.com>, philo
<ph...@news.novabbs.com> wrote:

> A friend brought over her Macbook which she is locked out of. She claims she
> never changed her password and that it happened after she linked it to her
> phone.
> All she can do is log-in as guest.
>
> I found that the machine has a BIOS lock so I cannot perform any of the
> normal reset procedures.

macs use efi, not bios, and there isn't a 'bios lock'.

what 'normal reset procedures' did you try?

> Before I have her take it to the Apple store...anything else I should try?

you haven't said what you tried so far and what happened. you also
haven't said what macbook it is or what version of mac os it has.

you previously claimed you knew how to search apple's knowledgebase.
you could try that.

<https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202860>

Bernd Froehlich

Dec 3, 2021, 2:43:17 AM12/3/21

Bernd Froehlich

Dec 3, 2021, 2:45:02 AM12/3/21
On 3. Dec 2021 at 08:43:14 CET, "Bernd Froehlich" <be...@eaglesoft.de>
wrote:
Oops, wrong link. Thos one is better:
<https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202860>

philo

Dec 3, 2021, 3:50:50 AM12/3/21
Thanks for the reply.
The problem is that if I try to sign in using her Apple account and take the "forget password" option, it brings up her browser which requires authorization in order to connect.
It asks for her password...which no longer works.

philo

Dec 3, 2021, 4:02:37 AM12/3/21
Too early in the morning but I will check with the owner to see if she
can get the password reset option that I've requested, on her phone's email.

So possibly there is hope.

Her Apple Account password is accepted at least.

Thank you

Jolly Roger

Dec 3, 2021, 9:27:45 AM12/3/21
It doesn't sound like you are familiar enough with Macs or Apple to help
efficiently.

Tell her to contact Apple support, who will happily work with you for
free over chat, phone, or in person at your local Apple retail store to
resolve your issue. Just start here and follow the prompts:

<https://support.apple.com/contact>

JR

philo

Dec 3, 2021, 9:51:33 AM12/3/21
Direct to JR.

If I was a Mac expert, I would not be asking here.

I have a lot of experience with PC's but very little with Mac.
However the dialog to reset her MacBook was sent to her email and she just informed me she did not get it.

I surmise that she must have been using a different email address when she first got her machine, so I have asked her if she has access to any former email accounts she might have had.

If not, I will give her the link you provided.

nospam

Dec 3, 2021, 10:06:33 AM12/3/21
In article <f6783352eb82d070...@news.novabbs.com>, philo
<ph...@news.novabbs.com> wrote:

> I have a lot of experience with PC's but very little with Mac.

refer her to someone who actually has mac experience.

philo

Dec 3, 2021, 11:36:29 AM12/3/21
She was able to access her other email and give me her verification code.

When I tried to sign into iCloud on her computer after I enter her Apple
ID and password, I get a pop up window stating that I must type password
followed by verification code.

There is no box to enter enter the verification code and it will not let
me log in if I type it after her password

philo

Dec 3, 2021, 1:07:02 PM12/3/21
Ok.
I was able to sign into her account from my own computer but as far as password reset options...the only device listed was her phone.

I went back to her computer and tried the password reset option but the webpage dialog box was blocked by parental controls. From the guest account there is no way to change that without knowing the admin password.

I can't even boot from an OSX install USB stick due to the BIOS lock.

She actually did have the BIOS password written down but that too was incorrect.

I still don't know why linking her phone to her MacBook would have invalidated her p/w. She claims she did not change it.

nospam

Dec 3, 2021, 2:35:13 PM12/3/21
In article <623cc21ff33d11ec...@news.novabbs.com>, philo
<ph...@news.novabbs.com> wrote:

> Ok.
> I was able to sign into her account from my own computer but as far as
> password reset options...the only device listed was her phone.
>
> I went back to her computer and tried the password reset option but the
> webpage dialog box was blocked by parental controls. From the guest account
> there is no way to change that without knowing the admin password.

what webpage dialog? resetting the password is done locally. no
webpages involved.

> I can't even boot from an OSX install USB stick due to the BIOS lock.
>
> She actually did have the BIOS password written down but that too was
> incorrect.

there is no bios. intel macs use efi. older powermacs used open
firmware.

what you describe is a firmware password, which she would have had to
enable, for some reason.

if she has no idea what it is, apple can reset it, but it will require
proof of ownership, for reasons that should be obvious.

it also doesn't matter, since the admin password is the problem, not
the firmware password, although it's possible they're the same.

> I still don't know why linking her phone to her MacBook would have
> invalidated her p/w. She claims she did not change it.

linked how? that does not make sense.

they both can be on the same icloud account, if that's what you mean.

Jolly Roger

Dec 3, 2021, 3:45:46 PM12/3/21
On 2021-12-03, philo <ph...@news.novabbs.com> wrote:

> I can't even boot from an OSX install USB stick due to the BIOS lock.

That's intentional, as it prevents the machine from being useful to
strangers.

> She actually did have the BIOS password written down but that too was
> incorrect.

Please use the correct terminology. It's called a "firmware passcode" -
Macs do not use BIOS.

> I still don't know why linking her phone to her MacBook would have
> invalidated her p/w.i

"Linking" isn't a term that is typically used, so what she actually did
is anyone's guess. Syncing her iPhone with her Mac wouldn't change any
passwords. So either she's mistaken, or she's not telling you
everything.

Jolly Roger

Dec 3, 2021, 3:47:41 PM12/3/21
On 2021-12-03, philo <ph...@news.novabbs.com> wrote:
> Direct to JR.
>
> If I was a Mac expert, I would not be asking here.
> I have a lot of experience with PC's but very little with Mac.

Yes, that's my point. She'd be much better off talking directly with
someone who *is* familiar with Macs.

> If not, I will give her the link you provided.

The link I provided is Apple Support, who will be able to help her *far*
more efficiently than you or anyone here.

philo

Dec 3, 2021, 4:14:46 PM12/3/21
To JR

Yep. I gave her the link.

I also informed her that if she does end up taking it in to the Apple store to have them clear the bios password.

On a PC, that's as simple as removing the cmos battery.

nospam

Dec 3, 2021, 4:38:36 PM12/3/21
In article <4fd5f6c83f055127...@news.novabbs.com>, philo
<ph...@news.novabbs.com> wrote:

> I also informed her that if she does end up taking it in to the Apple store
> to have them clear the bios password.

it would be very surprising that there is a firmware password. few
people know about that and it's non-trivial to set one.

if there really is a firmware password (which i doubt), then for apple
to reset it, she will need to bring proof of ownership.

otherwise, someone could bring in a stolen mac, claim it's theirs and
get apple to reset it. instant free mac. that would be bad.

> On a PC, that's as simple as removing the cmos battery.

which makes that completely useless, plus there is no cmos battery to
remove on a mac anyway.

nospam

Dec 3, 2021, 4:43:16 PM12/3/21
In article <j0vdvo...@mid.individual.net>, Jolly Roger
<jolly...@pobox.com> wrote:

> On 2021-12-03, philo <ph...@news.novabbs.com> wrote:
> > I can't even boot from an OSX install USB stick due to the BIOS lock.
>
> That's intentional, as it prevents the machine from being useful to
> strangers.

yep.

it's also unlikely that there is a firmware password set, especially
for personal machines.

corporate macs typically enable it, and if that's the case, then she
needs to talk to her boss or whoever actually owns the computer.

> > She actually did have the BIOS password written down but that too was
> > incorrect.
>
> Please use the correct terminology. It's called a "firmware passcode" -
> Macs do not use BIOS.
>
> > I still don't know why linking her phone to her MacBook would have
> > invalidated her p/w.i
>
> "Linking" isn't a term that is typically used, so what she actually did
> is anyone's guess. Syncing her iPhone with her Mac wouldn't change any
> passwords. So either she's mistaken, or she's not telling you
> everything.

more likely that he doesn't understand what she's saying, thinking that
it's the same as a windows pc. not surprisingly, it's not.

philo

Dec 3, 2021, 5:14:45 PM12/3/21
On 12/3/21 2:45 PM, Jolly Roger wrote:
> On 2021-12-03, philo <ph...@news.novabbs.com> wrote:
>>
>> I can't even boot from an OSX install USB stick due to the BIOS lock.
>
> That's intentional, as it prevents the machine from being useful to
> strangers.
>
>> She actually did have the BIOS password written down but that too was
>> incorrect.
>
> Please use the correct terminology. It's called a "firmware passcode" -
> Macs do not use BIOS.
>
>> I still don't know why linking her phone to her MacBook would have
>> invalidated her p/w.i
>
> "Linking" isn't a term that is typically used, so what she actually did
> is anyone's guess. Syncing her iPhone with her Mac wouldn't change any
> passwords. So either she's mistaken, or she's not telling you
> everything.

As a mostly PC person I did err when I used the terminology "bios
password" but it does not change the fact that I am locked out.

It absolutely does have a firmawre passcode.
She worked for a large corporation that went out of business and was
allowed the keep her company laptop once the IT dept setup a personal
account and removed the company's.

Even though I am way more familiar with PC's , I have repaired quite a
few Macs and have never seen this before. I have often reset lost
passwords and was surprised at how easy that is to do.

I cannot boot from USB without the firmare passcode nor can I use any of
the recovery options at all.

Also, I have no idea what she did to negate the password (as you said it
was evidently "syncing") ...but do agree that it she must have done
something because passwords don't just change themselves.

My guess is that she never knew the password and it had simply been set
to automatically log-in and perhaps she simply took it off auto-login.

nospam

Dec 3, 2021, 5:22:14 PM12/3/21
In article <soe4si$1heb$1...@gioia.aioe.org>, philo <ph...@privacy.net>
wrote:

> It absolutely does have a firmawre passcode.
> She worked for a large corporation that went out of business and was
> allowed the keep her company laptop once the IT dept setup a personal
> account and removed the company's.

that is new information.

apparently, the company didn't remove the firmware password that they
put in place.

apple will not reset the firmware password unless she has documentation
that the ownership was transferred from the company to her. i suspect
this does not exist.

absent proper documentation, her options are either try to find out
what the password was, perhaps from another person who worked there, or
flip it for parts.

> My guess is that she never knew the password and it had simply been set
> to automatically log-in and perhaps she simply took it off auto-login.

that is a reasonable guess, but not the only possibility.

David Brooks

Dec 3, 2021, 6:28:33 PM12/3/21
On 03/12/2021 20:45, Jolly Roger wrote:
> On 2021-12-03, philo <ph...@news.novabbs.com> wrote:
>>
>> I can't even boot from an OSX install USB stick due to the BIOS lock.
>
> That's intentional, as it prevents the machine from being useful to
> strangers.
>
>> She actually did have the BIOS password written down but that too was
>> incorrect.
>
> Please use the correct terminology. It's called a "firmware passcode" -
> Macs do not use BIOS.
>
>> I still don't know why linking her phone to her MacBook would have
>> invalidated her p/w.i
>
> "Linking" isn't a term that is typically used, so what she actually did
> is anyone's guess. Syncing her iPhone with her Mac wouldn't change any
> passwords. So either she's mistaken, or she's not telling you
> everything.

Do you recall telling me that the reason I couldn't start in Safe Boot
mode was because I had set a firmware password?

philo

Dec 3, 2021, 6:31:09 PM12/3/21
I have a pretty good memory but don't recall that one.

David Brooks

Dec 3, 2021, 6:35:18 PM12/3/21
Pssst!

I was asking Jolly Roger! ;-)

philo

Dec 3, 2021, 6:46:20 PM12/3/21
Whew, glad my memory had not failed.

If Jolly Rodger mentioned to you "firmware password," that sort of
negates the comment that no one uses them.

nospam

Dec 3, 2021, 7:38:06 PM12/3/21
In article <soea8a$1bq8$1...@gioia.aioe.org>, philo <ph...@privacy.net>
wrote:

> If Jolly Rodger mentioned to you "firmware password," that sort of
> negates the comment that no one uses them.

nobody said no one uses them.

firmware passwords are generally used for corporate systems with
specific security policies. it's *extremely* rare that it's used for
personal systems.

your initial description was that someone had a macbook and forgot the
password.

you did not mention it was actually a corporate mac that was given to
her, with its security policies still in place. that's a very important
detail to leave out.

Jolly Roger

Dec 3, 2021, 11:18:58 PM12/3/21
Not sure why David is butting in, as his issue has nothing to do with
yours.

> If Jolly Rodger mentioned to you "firmware password," that sort of
> negates the comment that no one uses them.

People use it. It's a built-in security feature. I set firmware
passwords on all of my Macs (along with using FileVault full disk
encryption and enabling Find My Mac), which essentially makes them
completely useless to would-be thieves, as well as preventing anyone
from accessing the data on them. Highly recommended.

philo

Dec 4, 2021, 9:53:58 AM12/4/21
On 12/3/21 10:18 PM, Jolly Roger wrote:
> On 2021-12-03, philo <ph...@privacy.net> wrote:

<snip>

> People use it. It's a built-in security feature. I set firmware
> passwords on all of my Macs (along with using FileVault full disk
> encryption and enabling Find My Mac), which essentially makes them
> completely useless to would-be thieves, as well as preventing anyone
> from accessing the data on them. Highly recommended.

Good idea.

It's settled, she is going to take it to the Apple Store.

The machine is running 10.8

If I had a Mac here that was new enough, I could have put her drive into
it and done the recovery.

I collect vintage machines and all of my Macs are between 12 and 30
years old or so.

I even recently repaired a couple of SEs that had been up in attic for ages.

Got to use floppy drives too!

Jolly Roger

Dec 4, 2021, 10:15:03 AM12/4/21
On 2021-12-04, philo <ph...@privacy.net> wrote:
> On 12/3/21 10:18 PM, Jolly Roger wrote:
>
><snip>
>
>> People use it. It's a built-in security feature. I set firmware
>> passwords on all of my Macs (along with using FileVault full disk
>> encryption and enabling Find My Mac), which essentially makes them
>> completely useless to would-be thieves, as well as preventing anyone
>> from accessing the data on them. Highly recommended.
>
> Good idea.

Find My is especially nice, because it lets you remotely see their
physical location, put them in Lost Mode, display a custom message, and
erase your data.

> It's settled, she is going to take it to the Apple Store.

They'll likely get her up and running again.

> The machine is running 10.8

Any idea what model / year Mac it is?

> If I had a Mac here that was new enough, I could have put her drive
> into it and done the recovery.
>
> I collect vintage machines and all of my Macs are between 12 and 30
> years old or so.
>
> I even recently repaired a couple of SEs that had been up in attic for
> ages.
>
> Got to use floppy drives too!

I have a little collection myself, including a Lisa 2 with Macintosh XL
conversion, ProFile external hard drive, and unused spare parts. I also
still have the first Mac SE/30 we bought (well, my dad did) in the 1990s
which runs fine. Say hi to Zippy:

<http://zippy.kicks-ass.org:9997/>

: )

nospam

Dec 4, 2021, 11:02:24 AM12/4/21
In article <j11evk...@mid.individual.net>, Jolly Roger
<jolly...@pobox.com> wrote:

> > It's settled, she is going to take it to the Apple Store.
>
> They'll likely get her up and running again.

not without proof of ownership. if the company gave her the laptop
without any documentation, which is almost certainly the case, apple is
not going to do anything.

she would need to find someone who used to work at the now defunct
company who might know what the password is. if that fails, flip it for
parts.

philo

Dec 4, 2021, 11:15:49 AM12/4/21
On 12/4/21 9:15 AM, Jolly Roger wrote:
> On 2021-12-04, philo <ph...@privacy.net> wrote:
>> On 12/3/21 10:18 PM, Jolly Roger wrote:
>>
>> <snip>
>>
>>> People use it. It's a built-in security feature. I set firmware
>>> passwords on all of my Macs (along with using FileVault full disk
>>> encryption and enabling Find My Mac), which essentially makes them
>>> completely useless to would-be thieves, as well as preventing anyone
>>> from accessing the data on them. Highly recommended.
>>
>> Good idea.
>
> Find My is especially nice, because it lets you remotely see their
> physical location, put them in Lost Mode, display a custom message, and
> erase your data.
>
>> It's settled, she is going to take it to the Apple Store.
>
> They'll likely get her up and running again.
>
>> The machine is running 10.8
>
> Any idea what model / year Mac it is?

Model #A1398

>> If I had a Mac here that was new enough, I could have put her drive
>> into it and done the recovery.
>>
>> I collect vintage machines and all of my Macs are between 12 and 30
>> years old or so.
>>
>> I even recently repaired a couple of SEs that had been up in attic for
>> ages.
>>
>> Got to use floppy drives too!
>
> I have a little collection myself, including a Lisa 2 with Macintosh XL
> conversion, ProFile external hard drive, and unused spare parts. I also
> still have the first Mac SE/30 we bought (well, my dad did) in the 1990s
> which runs fine.

Guy here in town is cleaning his attic and may have more stuff for me,
maybe even a G5

Still, nothing new

nospam

Dec 4, 2021, 11:22:23 AM12/4/21
In article <sog47i$1v3a$1...@gioia.aioe.org>, philo <ph...@privacy.net>
wrote:

> >> The machine is running 10.8
> >
> > Any idea what model / year Mac it is?
>
> Model #A1398

retina macbook pro 2012-2015.

emc number narrows it down.

given that it's running 10.8, it's either a 2012 or early 2013 model.

late 2013 requires 10.9.

Jolly Roger

Dec 4, 2021, 11:51:26 AM12/4/21
On 2021-12-04, philo <ph...@privacy.net> wrote:
> On 12/4/21 9:15 AM, Jolly Roger wrote:
>> On 2021-12-04, philo <ph...@privacy.net> wrote:
>>> On 12/3/21 10:18 PM, Jolly Roger wrote:
>>>
>>> <snip>

>>> Good idea.
>>
>> Find My is especially nice, because it lets you remotely see their
>> physical location, put them in Lost Mode, display a custom message,
>> and erase your data.
>>
>>> It's settled, she is going to take it to the Apple Store.
>>
>> They'll likely get her up and running again.
>>
>>> The machine is running 10.8
>>
>> Any idea what model / year Mac it is?
>
> Model #A1398

That's one of these models:

<https://everymac.com/ultimate-mac-lookup/?search_keywords=A1398>

Plug the serial number into the search field here to narrow down the
specific model:

<https://support.apple.com/specs>

Jolly Roger

Dec 4, 2021, 11:55:47 AM12/4/21
On 2021-12-04, nospam <nos...@nospam.invalid> wrote:
> In article <j11evk...@mid.individual.net>, Jolly Roger
><jolly...@pobox.com> wrote:
>
>> > It's settled, she is going to take it to the Apple Store.
>>
>> They'll likely get her up and running again.
>
> not without proof of ownership

That depends on what's actually wrong with it. It's best to just go
there and see what they say after explaining the situation and letting
them look at it. Then she can go from there.

> she would need to find someone who used to work at the now defunct
> company who might know what the password is.

I mean, that's what she should be doing anyway. If it is actually
firmware protected, and someone can tell her the password, she
can remove or change it to whatever she wants and gain full access to
the machine.

> if that fails, flip it for parts

She should save any data she has on that hard drive and erase it first,
but sure.

philo

Dec 4, 2021, 12:08:28 PM12/4/21
I am not concerned with the exact model number..I am still trying to
figure out what she did to change the password.

A month ago I ran into the same situation with a Win10 machine where the
owner was locked out due to a password change.

That one I was able to get going again by activating the built-in
Administrator account.

How can one be so careless with something that important?

nospam

Dec 4, 2021, 12:28:01 PM12/4/21
In article <j11ksg...@mid.individual.net>, Jolly Roger
<jolly...@pobox.com> wrote:

> >> They'll likely get her up and running again.
> >
> > not without proof of ownership
>
> That depends on what's actually wrong with it. It's best to just go
> there and see what they say after explaining the situation and letting
> them look at it. Then she can go from there.

his description is that it is/was a company-owned laptop with a
firmware password that she does not know.

given that, any invoice or receipt would be with the company, not her.

that is going to be a significant problem unless the company gave her
the original invoice and some form of documentation of a sale/transfer
to her, which is not likely.

<https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204455>
If you can't remember your firmware password, schedule an in-person
service appointment with an Apple Store or Apple Authorized Service
Provider. Bring your Mac to the appointment, and bring your original
receipt or invoice as proof of purchase.

> > she would need to find someone who used to work at the now defunct
> > company who might know what the password is.
>
> I mean, that's what she should be doing anyway. If it is actually
> firmware protected, and someone can tell her the password, she
> can remove or change it to whatever she wants and gain full access to
> the machine.

yep.

> > if that fails, flip it for parts
>
> She should save any data she has on that hard drive and erase it first,
> but sure.

a firmware password blocks target disk mode, which leaves disassembly.

the ssd would need to be removed and installed into another similar
macbook. it is not m.2 and certainly not sata, making it impossible to
put into a windows pc.

he said it has 10.8, thus it would need to be a 2012 or early 2013 to
boot. it should work in target disk mode in a later model despite
having an earlier and non-bootable system for that hardware.

or, she could just remove it and flip the rest for parts.

Jolly Roger

Dec 4, 2021, 2:36:23 PM12/4/21
On 2021-12-04, nospam <nos...@nospam.invalid> wrote:

>>> not without proof of ownership
>>
>> That depends on what's actually wrong with it. It's best to just go
>> there and see what they say after explaining the situation and letting
>> them look at it. Then she can go from there.
>
> his description

...leaves a lot to be desired and makes assumptions. It's best to just
bring it to Apple and let them look at it.

>>> if that fails, flip it for parts
>>
>> She should save any data she has on that hard drive and erase it first,
>> but sure.
>
> a firmware password blocks target disk mode, which leaves disassembly.

Yep.

> the ssd would need to be removed and installed into another similar
> macbook.

Or depending on the specific MacBook Pro model, a compatible external
enclosure, like this one:

<https://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/MAU3ENVOYPRO/#compatibility>

nospam

Dec 4, 2021, 3:06:57 PM12/4/21
In article <j11u9j...@mid.individual.net>, Jolly Roger
<jolly...@pobox.com> wrote:

> >> That depends on what's actually wrong with it. It's best to just go
> >> there and see what they say after explaining the situation and letting
> >> them look at it. Then she can go from there.
> >
> > his description
>
> ...leaves a lot to be desired and makes assumptions.

very much so. he keeps adding new information, which changes how to
resolve it.

> It's best to just
> bring it to Apple and let them look at it.

sure, but based on what he's said so far, it's not going to work out
the way he thinks it will.

without documentation that the company sold or gifted it to her, it's
legally not hers and apple won't do anything. if she does have that or
otherwise can somehow convince them, then it might work out.

if there are additional details he hasn't mentioned, then that could
change. we can only go by what he's disclosed.

> >> She should save any data she has on that hard drive and erase it first,
> >> but sure.
> >
> > a firmware password blocks target disk mode, which leaves disassembly.
>
> Yep.
>
> > the ssd would need to be removed and installed into another similar
> > macbook.
>
> Or depending on the specific MacBook Pro model, a compatible external
> enclosure, like this one:
>
> <https://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/MAU3ENVOYPRO/#compatibility>

true. i forgot about that option.

philo

Dec 5, 2021, 1:25:42 PM12/5/21
On 12/2/21 8:06 PM, philo wrote:
> A friend brought over her Macbook which she is locked out of. She claims
> she never changed her password and that it happened after she linked it
> to her phone.
> All she can do is log-in as guest.
>
> I found that the machine has a BIOS lock so I cannot perform any of the
> normal reset procedures.
>
> Before I have her take it to the Apple store...anything else I should try?

Since the owner is in no rush and can't even pick it up until after the
holidays, I just thought of something.

In the past, I've reset Apple machines by simply popping the drive into
my Linux machine and deleting /var/db/.AppleSetupDone

I could not do that with this Macbook because the Apple NVMe will not
fit into a PC NVMe slot.

Even if it did, my Linux machine would not accommodate 3.5" NVMe, it
only takes the shorter ones.

Anyone know of an adapter that would work?

Apple NVMe to standard SSD.

nospam

Dec 5, 2021, 1:44:58 PM12/5/21
In article <soj074$169c$1...@gioia.aioe.org>, philo <ph...@privacy.net>
wrote:

> Since the owner is in no rush and can't even pick it up until after the
> holidays, I just thought of something.
>
> In the past, I've reset Apple machines by simply popping the drive into
> my Linux machine and deleting /var/db/.AppleSetupDone

that won't fix the problem you described, which is obviously not
something you've had in the past. it will also create more problems.

you were told how to resolve it. why are you ignoring that advice?

> I could not do that with this Macbook because the Apple NVMe will not
> fit into a PC NVMe slot.
>
> Even if it did, my Linux machine would not accommodate 3.5" NVMe, it
> only takes the shorter ones.

it's a custom apple ssd that's much faster than the usual m.2 nvme ssds.

> Anyone know of an adapter that would work?

<https://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/MAU3ENVOYPRO/>

even with that, it may not be readable in linux, depending on how it's
formatted and in particular, if it's encrypted.

if it has a firmware password, there's a very good chance it's also
encrypted.

if not, you would be able to copy her data and reformat it for its
eventual resale.

Your Name

Dec 5, 2021, 3:43:41 PM12/5/21
In more and more of its devices, Apple has been soldering the drives
(and RAM) to the motherboard as well as making the cases
near-impossible to open, so this isn't likely going to work ... unless
you've got expert electronics soldering skills.

nospam

Dec 5, 2021, 4:01:32 PM12/5/21
In article <soj89p$11tm$1...@gioia.aioe.org>, Your Name
so have other manufacturers.

> so this isn't likely going to work ... unless
> you've got expert electronics soldering skills.

it's a 2012-13 macbook pro and very easy. he's already opened it and
noted its form factor.

David Brooks

Dec 5, 2021, 5:53:56 PM12/5/21
Apologies, JR. Philo is an on-line chum outwith Usenet.

I asked you because of an issue which cropped up recently on the ASC
forums when someone couldn't start up their Mac in Safe Boot mode.

I wondered if you could confirm that I'd remembered matters correctly,
that's all. It wasn't worthy of starting a new thread.

--
Kind regards,
David

Jolly Roger

Dec 5, 2021, 5:56:06 PM12/5/21
On 2021-12-05, Your Name <Your...@YourISP.com> wrote:

> In more and more of its devices, Apple has been soldering the drives
> (and RAM) to the motherboard as well as making the cases
> near-impossible to open, so this isn't likely going to work ... unless
> you've got expert electronics soldering skills.

Nonsense. MacBook Pro cases can are easily opened with a screwdriver.
And the SSD used in this model is easily removable with a screwdriver as
well, as shown here:

<https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/MacBook+Pro+15-Inch+Retina+Display+Mid+2015+SSD+Replacement/48251>

Why do you open your big mouth when you are so consistently wrong? It's
obvious you know next to nothing about modern Apple products, and you
constantly spew misguided disinformation about them. You are like the
annoying little fruit fly buzzing around being a complete nuisance that
everyone wishes would just go away already.

philo

Dec 5, 2021, 7:10:58 PM12/5/21
.

On 12/5/21 4:56 PM, Jolly Roger wrote:

<Troll in killfile snipped>

> Nonsense. MacBook Pro cases can are easily opened with a screwdriver.
> And the SSD used in this model is easily removable with a screwdriver as
> well, as shown here:
>
> <https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/MacBook+Pro+15-Inch+Retina+Display+Mid+2015+SSD+Replacement/48251>
>
> Why do you open your big mouth when you are so consistently wrong? It's
> obvious you know next to nothing about modern Apple products, and you
> constantly spew misguided disinformation about them. You are like the
> annoying little fruit fly buzzing around being a complete nuisance that
> everyone wishes would just go away already.

I now have two nyms in my kf, I suspect the same person.

I have the drive out of the machine and will probably order an M2 to USB
adapter.

One of the main reasons I post here is that when I run into a dead
end...and I ask a question...my mind starts thinking of new answers...so
if I get help here...fine...but if not, chances are my objective has
been met by stirring up brain cells

philo

Dec 5, 2021, 7:11:58 PM12/5/21
On 12/5/21 4:53 PM, David Brooks wrote:
> On 04/12/2021 04:18, Jolly Roger wrote:

<snip>

>>> Whew, glad my memory had not failed.
>>
>> Not sure why David is butting in, as his issue has nothing to do with
>> yours.
>
> Apologies, JR.  Philo is an on-line chum outwith Usenet.
>
> I asked you because of an issue which cropped up recently on the ASC
> forums when someone couldn't start up their Mac in Safe Boot mode.
>
> I wondered if you could confirm that I'd remembered matters correctly,
> that's all. It wasn't worthy of starting a new thread.

Dave, it's always nice talking to you and on Usenet there is no such
thing as butting in...it's open to all.

David Brooks

Dec 5, 2021, 7:45:09 PM12/5/21
Thanks, Philo - you are one of the nicest people I have ever met on the
Internet! :-D

Your Name

Dec 5, 2021, 8:38:17 PM12/5/21
On 12/5/21 4:56 PM, Jolly Roger wrote:

<Troll in killfile snipped>

> Nonsense. MacBook Pro cases can are easily opened with a screwdriver.
> And the SSD used in this model is easily removable with a screwdriver as
> well, as shown here:
>
> <https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/MacBook+Pro+15-Inch+Retina+Display+Mid+2015+SSD+Replacement/48251>
>

> Why do you open your big mouth when you are so consistently wrong? It's
> obvious you know next to nothing about modern Apple products, and you
> constantly spew misguided disinformation about them. You are like the
> annoying little fruit fly buzzing around being a complete nuisance that
> everyone wishes would just go away already.

Presumably the argumentative village f'wit for brains is replying to my
post and yet again proves his reading comprehension skills are
absolutely non-existant.

Where exactly did I say even remotely say that "none" of Apple devices
were openable or "none" of the drives were removeable?? Oh, that's
right, I didn't. No wonder the idiot is in my killfile. :-\

nospam

Dec 5, 2021, 8:44:25 PM12/5/21
In article <sojkef$1rci$1...@gioia.aioe.org>, philo <ph...@privacy.net>
wrote:

> .
>
> I have the drive out of the machine and will probably order an M2 to USB
> adapter.

what you plan to do is not going to work.

> One of the main reasons I post here is that when I run into a dead
> end...and I ask a question...my mind starts thinking of new answers...so
> if I get help here...fine...but if not, chances are my objective has
> been met by stirring up brain cells

you did get help here and then rejected it, as you usually do.

Jolly Roger

Dec 5, 2021, 9:35:01 PM12/5/21
On 2021-12-05, David Brooks <Dav...@invalid.E-S> wrote:

>> Not sure why David is butting in, as his issue has nothing to do with
>> yours.
>
> Apologies, JR. Philo is an on-line chum outwith Usenet.
>
> I asked you because of an issue which cropped up recently on the ASC
> forums when someone couldn't start up their Mac in Safe Boot mode.
>
> I wondered if you could confirm that I'd remembered matters correctly,
> that's all. It wasn't worthy of starting a new thread.

Yep, setting a firmware password prevents Safe Boot as well.

Jolly Roger

Dec 5, 2021, 9:39:14 PM12/5/21
On 2021-12-06, Your Name <Your...@YourISP.com> wrote:
> On 12/5/21 4:56 PM, Jolly Roger wrote:
>
><Troll in killfile snipped>
>>
>> Nonsense. MacBook Pro cases can are easily opened with a screwdriver.
>> And the SSD used in this model is easily removable with a screwdriver
>> as well, as shown here:
>>
>> <https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/MacBook+Pro+15-Inch+Retina+Display+Mid+2015+SSD+Replacement/48251>
>> Why do you open your big mouth when you are so consistently wrong?
>> It's obvious you know next to nothing about modern Apple products,
>> and you constantly spew misguided disinformation about them. You are
>> like the annoying little fruit fly buzzing around being a complete
>> nuisance that everyone wishes would just go away already.
>
> Where exactly did I say even remotely say that "none" of Apple devices
> were openable or "none" of the drives were removeable?? Oh, that's
> right, I didn't.

You ended your bullshit post with this gem:

>>> this isn't likely going to work ... unless you've got expert
>>> electronics soldering skills.

It's complete bullshit, and you're not fooling anyone here.

philo

Dec 5, 2021, 11:42:28 PM12/5/21
Good news.

Once I got the drive out , I got the model number and finally got the type.
I found an adaptor.
The machine has an oddball ssd.

It's a 7 x 17 which AFAIK is made for a few specific Mac laptops.

The adapter will take the drive to a standard SATA .

David Brooks

Dec 6, 2021, 6:28:00 AM12/6/21
On 06/12/2021 02:34, Jolly Roger wrote:

>>> Not sure why David is butting in, as his issue has nothing to do with
>>> yours.
>>
>> Apologies, JR. Philo is an on-line chum outwith Usenet.
>>
>> I asked you because of an issue which cropped up recently on the ASC
>> forums when someone couldn't start up their Mac in Safe Boot mode.
>>
>> I wondered if you could confirm that I'd remembered matters correctly,
>> that's all. It wasn't worthy of starting a new thread.
>
> Yep, setting a firmware password prevents Safe Boot as well.

Thank you! :-D

David Brooks

Dec 6, 2021, 6:28:34 AM12/6/21
Good luck, Philo! :-)

David Brooks

Dec 6, 2021, 6:31:52 AM12/6/21
Why are you so VERY rude to people here. 'no spam'?

Philo has probably forgotten more about computing that you have ever
learned. He's a good man.

philo

Dec 6, 2021, 9:22:24 AM12/6/21
My friend told me not to put this much effort into it...so I had to convince her this is fun for me.
I miss the days before everyone had smartphones...I often had three machines on the bench at a time.

In addition to computers, I also work on vacuum tube radios.

When I have both a radio & computer on my bench at the same time, there is not too great of a chance that I'll get the parts mixed up.

nospam

Dec 6, 2021, 11:18:04 AM12/6/21
In article <soksb6$85s$3...@hunterbd.eternal-september.org>, David Brooks
<Dav...@invalid.E-S> wrote:

> >> I have the drive out of the machine and will probably order an M2 to USB
> >> adapter.
> >
> > what you plan to do is not going to work.
> >
> >> One of the main reasons I post here is that when I run into a dead
> >> end...and I ask a question...my mind starts thinking of new answers...so
> >> if I get help here...fine...but if not, chances are my objective has
> >> been met by stirring up brain cells
> >
> > you did get help here and then rejected it, as you usually do.
>

> Why are you so VERY rude to people here. 'no spam'?

i'm not the one who is being rude.

he claims to have a mac with a forgotten password and was told how to
resolve it by those who have had 30+ years using macs.

initially it was just the admin password, but he later changed the
story to be a firmware password, as he continually moved the goalposts
so that he could claim the original answers were wrong (not the first
time he's done that).

he rudely rejected all of the advice given and thinks he can come up
with a solution on his own. he cannot.

by his own admission, he doesn't know what he's doing.

there are only two solutions, both of which have been discussed.

there are *no* other options to remove a firmware password, which is
what makes a firmware password secure.

his plan to remove a single file on the ssd to reset the firmware
password is not only guaranteed to fail, but it's also absurd. it's a
*firmware* password, which is not stored on a user-writeable file
system.

there would be very little reason to use a firmware password if it
could be easily reset.

in fact, on recent macs (not the one he has), it's possible to disable
the ability for apple to reset the firmware password entirely, which
means if it's forgotten, the logic board is completely useless. this
setting is optional and warns the user of the risks before activating
it. it does not apply in his situation, but i mention it to show just
how secure firmware passwords can be.

he also plans to remove the file using a linux box, which has limited
support for mac file systems, and if he corrupts the ssd in the process
(a non-zero risk), things are going to be much worse.

he is going to use an adapter he bought online, which may or may not
work. some of them are junk.

removing the file he said he wants to remove will cause the setup
process to be re-run, which will then create a brand new empty user
account, without any of her files. this is also bad.

he is experimenting with someone else's computer.

hopefully she is not paying him anything. that would be criminal. he
should be paying her.

not only is he (and you) being rude to those here who are legitimately
trying to help, despite his story continually changing, but he is also
being rude to the person who brought him the macbook.

> Philo has probably forgotten more about computing that you have ever
> learned.

nonsense. he knows next to nothing about macs. nor do you for that
matter.

in another recent thread, he insisted a drive pulled from a mac se was
mfs which is not possible. he made numerous incorrect claims about mac
file systems even after multiple links to apple's knowledgebase proved
him wrong. he claimed to have found some secret link that claims there
are two versions of hfs. not surprisingly, he kept it a secret, because
it doesn't exist.

he asks questions, then changes the story so that he can claim the
original answers were wrong. it's a pattern i've noticed over the
years. it appears to be intentional.

> He's a good man.

no he isn't, nor are you.

David Brooks

Dec 6, 2021, 12:13:03 PM12/6/21
On 06/12/2021 02:34, Jolly Roger wrote:

>>> Not sure why David is butting in, as his issue has nothing to do with
>>> yours.
>>
>> Apologies, JR. Philo is an on-line chum outwith Usenet.
>>
>> I asked you because of an issue which cropped up recently on the ASC
>> forums when someone couldn't start up their Mac in Safe Boot mode.
>>
>> I wondered if you could confirm that I'd remembered matters correctly,
>> that's all. It wasn't worthy of starting a new thread.
>
> Yep, setting a firmware password prevents Safe Boot as well.

JR - you may like to take a look a the thread where I tried to help.

https://origin-discussions-us.apple.com/thread/253382887

(It took me a while to find it!)

My post has been removed - the 'advisers' there disagreed with our (your
and my!) understanding that a firmware password prevents booting into
Safe Boot mode.

Perhaps YOU would like to mention the point there and see how well
/your/ comment is taken?

I would appreciate that, if you can find a few minutes to ask.

Thanks if you will.

--
David

nospam

Dec 6, 2021, 12:36:32 PM12/6/21
In article <solgat$2om$1...@hunterbd.eternal-september.org>, David Brooks
<Dav...@invalid.E-S> wrote:

> My post has been removed

because you are a troll.

> - the 'advisers' there disagreed with our (your
> and my!) understanding that a firmware password prevents booting into
> Safe Boot mode.

the thread you linked has nothing to do with firmware passwords.

you probably babbled about malware again.

David Brooks

Dec 6, 2021, 1:24:27 PM12/6/21
On 06/12/2021 17:36, nospam wrote:
> In article <solgat$2om$1...@hunterbd.eternal-september.org>, David Brooks
> <Dav...@invalid.E-S> wrote:
>

>> My post has been removed
>
> because you are a troll.

You make it sound as if I'm qualified at last! :-D

>> - the 'advisers' there disagreed with our (your
>> and my!) understanding that a firmware password prevents booting into
>> Safe Boot mode.
>
> the thread you linked has nothing to do with firmware passwords.
>
> you probably babbled about malware again.

The posts relating to being unable to start in Safe Boot mode have ALSO
been removed.

The 'moderators' are manipulating questions and answers on the ASC forums.

For how long have you been aware that people may 'log on' to the ASC
forums without using their correct Apple ID? - i.e. the one showing on
their iPhone, iPad and Apple computer?

nospam

Dec 6, 2021, 1:25:46 PM12/6/21
In article <solkec$1ln$1...@hunterbd.eternal-september.org>, David Brooks
<Dav...@invalid.E-S> wrote:

> The 'moderators' are manipulating questions and answers on the ASC forums.

nope. what they're doing is banning dumbfuck trolls, namely you, who is
repeatedly banned each time you try to sign up and use a different
name.

David Brooks

Dec 6, 2021, 1:27:21 PM12/6/21
How could you POSSIBLY know that?

David Brooks

Dec 6, 2021, 1:29:06 PM12/6/21
On 06/12/2021 18:25, nospam wrote:
The question you failed to answer:-

//For how long have you been aware that people may 'log on' to the ASC
forums without using their correct Apple ID? - i.e. the one showing on
their iPhone, iPad and Apple computer?//

Jolly Roger

Dec 6, 2021, 1:38:37 PM12/6/21
On 2021-12-06, philo <ph...@news.novabbs.com> wrote:
> Good news.
>
> Once I got the drive out , I got the model number and finally got the
> type. I found an adaptor.

Which "adapter", specifically?

> The machine has an oddball ssd.
>
> It's a 7 x 17 which AFAIK is made for a few specific Mac laptops.
>
> The adapter will take the drive to a standard SATA .

Okay, but that's not going to allow you to remove the firmware passcode.

And if the drive is encrypted with FileVault, you won't be able to
access anything on it either.

So what are you hoping to do with it once you have it in an external
enclosure?

Your Name

Dec 6, 2021, 2:40:48 PM12/6/21
nospam hasn't ever learned anything, that's why it's another of the
village idiots in my killfile.

David Brooks

Dec 6, 2021, 3:02:06 PM12/6/21
Hmmm!

A question he failed to answer:-

//For how long have you been aware that people may 'log on' to the ASC
forums without using their correct Apple ID? - i.e. the one showing on
their iPhone, iPad and Apple computer?//

Can YOU answer it, 'Your Name'?

Thanks if you can.

--
David

nospam

Dec 6, 2021, 3:06:47 PM12/6/21
In article <j173lb...@mid.individual.net>, Jolly Roger
<jolly...@pobox.com> wrote:

> On 2021-12-06, philo <ph...@news.novabbs.com> wrote:
> > Good news.
> >
> > Once I got the drive out , I got the model number and finally got the
> > type. I found an adaptor.
>
> Which "adapter", specifically?

good question. you'd think he would ask if the adapter he found will
work.

there's a pretty good chance it's the reverse of what he needs.

he has *no* idea what he's doing.

> > The machine has an oddball ssd.
> >
> > It's a 7 x 17 which AFAIK is made for a few specific Mac laptops.
> >
> > The adapter will take the drive to a standard SATA .
>
> Okay, but that's not going to allow you to remove the firmware passcode.

yep. he thinks he knows better.

even if he ultimately gets the right adapter, he still won't be able to
remove the firmware password.

he obviously does not understand the difference between firmware and
installed software, namely macos.

> And if the drive is encrypted with FileVault, you won't be able to
> access anything on it either.

not without the correct password, which is how he ended up in this
situation in the first place.

he's also reliant on linux tools to do it, which has questionable
reliability with hfs+, let alone encrypted volumes, which risks
corrupting the entire ssd.

> So what are you hoping to do with it once you have it in an external
> enclosure?

he claims he wants to put the ssd into his linux box and then remove
the .applesetupdone file so that setup assistant will re-run, which he
said has fixed problems in the past and will do so again.

he's in for a bit of a surprise.

it's almost amusing watching him flail about while ignoring the only
possible solution (and even that isn't guaranteed).

unfortunately, this isn't his macbook.

he's experimenting with someone else's macbook, who foolishly trusted
him to fix it despite him not knowing anything about macs.

that person is is now at the mercy of his missteps and will end up
being worse off as a result, possibly losing all of her data in the
process.

and the firmware password will still be there.

Shadow

Dec 6, 2021, 4:29:20 PM12/6/21
On Mon, 6 Dec 2021 18:29:04 +0000, David Brooks <Dav...@invalid.E-S>
wrote:

>//For how long have you been aware that people may 'log on' to the ASC
>forums without using their Apple ID? - i.e. the one showing on
>their iPhone, iPad and Apple computer?//

Like forever.
Why do you want to know? You've been *BANNED* permanently from
that private forum.
Maybe you "forgot".
Drink less.

------------------------------------
BD: I want people to "get to know me better. I have nothing to
hide".
I'm always here to help, this page was put up at BD's request,
rather, he said "Do it *NOW*!":

<https://tekrider.net/pages/david-brooks-stalker.php>

101 confirmed #FAKE_NYMS, most used in cybercrimes!
Google "David Brooks Stalker".
[]'s
--
Don't be evil - Google 2004
We have a new policy - Google 2012

Wolffan

Dec 6, 2021, 4:31:42 PM12/6/21
On 2021 Dec 06, David Brooks wrote
(in article<solkpg$1ln$3...@hunterbd.eternal-september.org>):

> On 06/12/2021 18:25, nospam wrote:
> > In article<solkec$1ln$1...@hunterbd.eternal-september.org>, David Brooks
> > <Dav...@invalid.E-S> wrote:
> >

> > > The 'moderators' are manipulating questions and answers on the ASC forums.
> >
> > nope. what they're doing is banning dumbfuck trolls, namely you, who is
> > repeatedly banned each time you try to sign up and use a different
> > name.
>
> The question you failed to answer:-
>
> //For how long have you been aware that people may 'log on' to the ASC
> forums without using their correct Apple ID?

idiot. those who aren’t banned (that is, not you, vile obne) log into ASC
using the credentials you set for ASC and that particular device. There is no
‘correct’ AppleID, there is merely the credentials stored for access. And
those who aren’t banned might access ASC using different AppleIDs based on
which device they come in on. So if they’re coming in on a Windows machine,
they could use an AppleID associated with the Windows machine... and would go
to a section about Apple products on Windows. Just as an example.

> - i.e. the one showing on
> their iPhone, iPad and Apple computer?//

I’ve got different AppleIDs linked with different devices.

You’re an idiot. And a vile stalker, troll, and serial homosexual sexual
harasser.

Your Name

Dec 6, 2021, 5:57:35 PM12/6/21
No idea since I don't use the ASC forums (other than a quick visit if
it turns up as a possible solution when Google searching something).
The ASC forums might even pre-date "Apple ID".

David Brooks

Dec 6, 2021, 6:01:52 PM12/6/21
On 06/12/2021 21:06, Wolffan *IS A LIAR*

> You’re an idiot. And a vile stalker, troll, and serial homosexual sexual
> harasser.

Totally untrue - a load of bollocks from an insignificant factory worker.

philo

Dec 6, 2021, 8:06:27 PM12/6/21
You must know a lot of nasty people then :)

Shadow

Dec 6, 2021, 8:10:17 PM12/6/21
On Mon, 6 Dec 2021 22:34:57 +0000, David Brooks <Dav...@invalid.E-S>
wrote:

>On 06/12/2021 21:06, Wolffan wrote, about BD
>
>> You’re an idiot. And a vile stalker, troll, and serial homosexual sexual
>> harasser.
>
> a load of bollocks from an insignificant factory worker.

So you think you know which one of your "friends" told
Wolffan? A factory worker?
WRONG, he had multiple sources.
LOL.
Your phishing didn't work. *AGAIN*.

PS Why are you cross-posting your personal data to a Mac
group? OT up.

David Brooks

Dec 6, 2021, 8:11:50 PM12/6/21
To post on the ASC forums one MUST use an Apple ID - but it can be a
false one.

People using the ASC forums TRUST the posted links because the perceive
that they are safe - protected by the big Apple umbrella.
BUT - They are NOT
protected from unscrupulous 'bad guys' who can use an invalid Apple ID
to log-in.

Wolffan

Dec 6, 2021, 9:38:07 PM12/6/21
On 2021 Dec 06, David Brooks wrote
(in article<som36h$6fb$2...@hunterbd.eternal-september.org>):

> On 06/12/2021 21:06, Wolffan *IS A LIAR*
>
> > You’re an idiot. And a vile stalker, troll, and serial homosexual sexual
> > harasser.
>
> Totally untrue

the truth burns you, vile one.

> - a load of bollocks from an insignificant factory worker.

which ‘factory’ would I be a worker at?

Jolly Roger

Dec 6, 2021, 10:57:18 PM12/6/21
On 2021-12-07, Wolffan <akwo...@zoho.com> wrote:
> On 2021 Dec 06, David Brooks wrote
> (in article<som36h$6fb$2...@hunterbd.eternal-september.org>):
>
>> - a load of bollocks from an insignificant factory worker.
>
> which ‘factory’ would I be a worker at?

It's nothing but entertaining when resident trolls claim they know who
you are and immediately prove themselves totally clueless by getting
*basic* details *completely* wrong. To wit: Arlen recently claimed he
knew that I tried and failed to get a GED - something that would elicit
hysterical laughter from every single person who actually knows me.
Welcome to the club. : )

David Brooks

Dec 7, 2021, 4:32:15 AM12/7/21
On 07/12/2021 03:57, Jolly Roger wrote:
> On 2021-12-07, Wolffan <akwo...@zoho.com> wrote:
>> On 2021 Dec 06, David Brooks wrote
>> (in article<som36h$6fb$2...@hunterbd.eternal-september.org>):
>>
>>> - a load of bollocks from an insignificant factory worker.
>>
>> which ‘factory’ would I be a worker at?
>
> It's nothing but entertaining when resident trolls claim they know who
> you are and immediately prove themselves totally clueless by getting
> *basic* details *completely* wrong. To wit: Arlen recently claimed he
> knew that I tried and failed to get a GED - something that would elicit
> hysterical laughter from every single person who actually knows me.
> Welcome to the club. : )

Wolffan has *LIED* - time and time again.

I am simply straight-forward and honest.

Are *YOU* a 'good guy' like me, JR?

If so, please demonstrate that, like I did, here:-

https://community.dynamics.com/members/bdontj

The LinkedIn link works and the information on LI is 100% correct.

Shadow

Dec 7, 2021, 5:40:48 AM12/7/21
On Mon, 06 Dec 2021 21:37:21 -0500, Wolffan <akwo...@zoho.com>
wrote:

>On 2021 Dec 06, David Brooks wrote
>(in article<som36h$6fb$2...@hunterbd.eternal-september.org>):
>
>> On 06/12/2021 21:06, Wolffan wrote:
>>
>> > You’re an idiot. And a vile stalker, troll, and serial homosexual sexual
>> > harasser.
>>
>> Totally untrue
>
>the truth burns you, vile one.
>
>> - a load of bollocks from an insignificant factory worker.
>
>which ‘factory’ would I be a worker at?

He wasn't referring to you, he already knows what you do.
He was trying to ID which one of his "friends" told you about
his dismissal from the Royal Navy for "behavior unbecoming to an
officer".
HTH

<https://tekrider.net/pages/david-brooks-stalker.php>

Wolffan

Dec 7, 2021, 5:54:30 AM12/7/21
On 2021 Dec 06, Jolly Roger wrote
(in article <j184cs...@mid.individual.net>):

> On 2021-12-07, Wolffan<akwo...@zoho.com> wrote:
> > On 2021 Dec 06, David Brooks wrote
> > (in article<som36h$6fb$2...@hunterbd.eternal-september.org>):
> >
> > > - a load of bollocks from an insignificant factory worker.
> >
> > which ‘factory’ would I be a worker at?
>
> It's nothing but entertaining when resident trolls claim they know who
> you are and immediately prove themselves totally clueless by getting
> *basic* details *completely* wrong. To wit: Arlen recently claimed he
> knew that I tried and failed to get a GED - something that would elicit
> hysterical laughter from every single person who actually knows me.
> Welcome to the club. : )

ol’ yellowstain doesn’t even know which county I’m in. Hell, his
various attempts to dox me by looking at IPs will cause him to be uncertain
which _state_ I’m in. If he’s been paying attention, which he hasn’t,
and if he had even a room temperature (in degrees C...) IQ, which he
doesn’t, he might have a problem IDing which _country_ I’m in. (Hint:
North America has three counties in the main landmass plus several others in
assorted nearby islands. I’ve posted from two of the three mainland
counties and three of the nearby islands. Plus one more island which isn’t
so nearby. And isn’t usually considered to be part of North America.)

Wolffan

Dec 7, 2021, 5:56:02 AM12/7/21
On 2021 Dec 07, Shadow wrote
(in article<i6euqghvbiqcq961p...@4ax.com>):

> On Mon, 06 Dec 2021 21:37:21 -0500, Wolffan<akwo...@zoho.com>
> wrote:
>
> > On 2021 Dec 06, David Brooks wrote
> > (in article<som36h$6fb$2...@hunterbd.eternal-september.org>):

> > > Totally untrue
> >
> > the truth burns you, vile one.
> >
> > > - a load of bollocks from an insignificant factory worker.
> >
> > which ‘factory’ would I be a worker at?
>
> He wasn't referring to you, he already knows what you do.
> He was trying to ID which one of his "friends" told you about
> his dismissal from the Royal Navy for "behavior unbecoming to an
> officer".
> HTH
>
> <https://tekrider.net/pages/david-brooks-stalker.php>
> []'s

There are now 11 sources. Only an idiot would consider any of them to be
‘factory workers’. Of course, the vile one _is_ an idiot.

David Brooks

Dec 7, 2021, 8:00:31 AM12/7/21
On 07/12/2021 10:54, Wolffan wrote:
> On 2021 Dec 07, Shadow wrote
> (in article<i6euqghvbiqcq961p...@4ax.com>):
>
>> On Mon, 06 Dec 2021 21:37:21 -0500, Wolffan<akwo...@zoho.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> On 2021 Dec 06, David Brooks wrote
>>> (in article<som36h$6fb$2...@hunterbd.eternal-september.org>):

>>> the truth burns you, vile one.

>>> which ‘factory’ would I be a worker at?
>>
>> He wasn't referring to you, he already knows what you do.
>> He was trying to ID which one of his "friends" told you about
>> his dismissal from the Royal Navy for "behavior unbecoming to an
>> officer".
>> HTH

> There are now 11 sources. Only an idiot would consider any of them to be
> ‘factory workers’. Of course, the vile one _is_ an idiot.

You are once more responding to a *LIAR*. Shadow is not significunt.:-P

I was *NOT* dismissed from the Royal Navy - for *ANY* reason.

The truth WILL out - always. :-D

Kelly Phillips

Dec 7, 2021, 10:48:16 AM12/7/21
On Tue, 7 Dec 2021 12:59:51 +0000, David Brooks <Dav...@invalid.E-S>
wrote:

>I was *NOT* dismissed from the Royal Navy - for *ANY* reason.

Hard to believe you're still on active duty after all these years. I
guess the stories of insurance sales scams and financial management
scams, not to mention the stories of boating on sewage canals, were all
a ruse to hide the fact that you're still a member of the RN.

Or, it could be that you're simply being dishonest again.

>The truth WILL out - always. :-D

Oh, it's out. That cake is fully baked.

philo

Dec 7, 2021, 1:10:46 PM12/7/21
On 12/6/21 12:38 PM, Jolly Roger wrote:
> On 2021-12-06, philo <ph...@news.novabbs.com> wrote:
>> Good news.
>>
>> Once I got the drive out , I got the model number and finally got the
>> type. I found an adaptor.
>
> Which "adapter", specifically?
>
>> The machine has an oddball ssd.
>>
>> It's a 7 x 17 which AFAIK is made for a few specific Mac laptops.
>>
>> The adapter will take the drive to a standard SATA .
>
> Okay, but that's not going to allow you to remove the firmware passcode.
>
> And if the drive is encrypted with FileVault, you won't be able to
> access anything on it either.
>
> So what are you hoping to do with it once you have it in an external
> enclosure?

Already answered

nospam

Dec 7, 2021, 1:32:28 PM12/7/21
In article <soo832$cpa$1...@gioia.aioe.org>, philo <ph...@privacy.net>
wrote:
not those questions, you haven't.

Jolly Roger

Dec 7, 2021, 1:41:53 PM12/7/21
You haven't told anyone which adapter you are talking about, as far as I
can tell.

I do recall that you mentioned removing the .AppleSetupDone file. But
that's not going to allow you to start up the Mac, since firmware
protection is enabled.

David Brooks

Dec 7, 2021, 2:52:32 PM12/7/21
On 07/12/2021 18:41, Jolly Roger wrote:
> On 2021-12-07, philo <ph...@privacy.net> wrote:

>>> Which "adapter", specifically?

>>> Okay, but that's not going to allow you to remove the firmware passcode.
>>>
>>> And if the drive is encrypted with FileVault, you won't be able to
>>> access anything on it either.
>>>
>>> So what are you hoping to do with it once you have it in an external
>>> enclosure?
>>
>> Already answered
>
> You haven't told anyone which adapter you are talking about, as far as I
> can tell.
>
> I do recall that you mentioned removing the .AppleSetupDone file. But
> that's not going to allow you to start up the Mac, since firmware
> protection is enabled.

As you are well aware, JR, I'm not a "techie" but do realise that there
must be SOMEWHERE within an Apple computer where, for example, the
Serial Number is stored. If the hard drive is removed and replaced,
Apple can still identify the hardware.

So, in what type of electronic component is the information held?

nospam

Dec 7, 2021, 2:56:12 PM12/7/21
In article <sooe1u$buk$1...@hunterbd.eternal-september.org>, David Brooks
<Dav...@invalid.E-S> wrote:

> As you are well aware, JR, I'm not a "techie"

understatement of the millennium.

> but do realise that there
> must be SOMEWHERE within an Apple computer where, for example, the
> Serial Number is stored. If the hard drive is removed and replaced,
> Apple can still identify the hardware.

obviously.

> So, in what type of electronic component is the information held?

a chip.

David Brooks

Dec 7, 2021, 2:57:01 PM12/7/21
I didn't realise that English isn't your first language.

Sorry about that.

David Brooks

Dec 7, 2021, 3:37:28 PM12/7/21
On 07/12/2021 19:56, nospam wrote:
> In article <sooe1u$buk$1...@hunterbd.eternal-september.org>, David Brooks
> <Dav...@invalid.E-S> wrote:
>

>> As you are well aware, JR, I'm not a "techie"
>
> understatement of the millennium.

Non-techies are permitted to discuss posts in Usenet groups.

>> but do realise that there
>> must be SOMEWHERE within an Apple computer where, for example, the
>> Serial Number is stored. If the hard drive is removed and replaced,
>> Apple can still identify the hardware.
>
> obviously.

Does that situation pertain in the hardware used to run Microsoft and
Linux operating systems? I think not, so that makes Apple hardware
'special'!

>> So, in what type of electronic component is the information held?
>
> a chip.

Philo could probably identify that chip and remove it.

Please provide further information on where this 'chip' may be found.
Or are you simply guessing (again!)?

nospam

Dec 7, 2021, 3:50:20 PM12/7/21
In article <soogm7$v7b$1...@hunterbd.eternal-september.org>, David Brooks
<Dav...@invalid.E-S> wrote:

> >> As you are well aware, JR, I'm not a "techie"
> >
> > understatement of the millennium.
>
> Non-techies are permitted to discuss posts in Usenet groups.

nobody said otherwise.

the problem is that what you are attempting to do does not qualify as a
discussion.

> >> but do realise that there
> >> must be SOMEWHERE within an Apple computer where, for example, the
> >> Serial Number is stored. If the hard drive is removed and replaced,
> >> Apple can still identify the hardware.
> >
> > obviously.
>
> Does that situation pertain in the hardware used to run Microsoft and
> Linux operating systems? I think not, so that makes Apple hardware
> 'special'!

you don't think at all.

> >> So, in what type of electronic component is the information held?
> >
> > a chip.
>
> Philo could probably identify that chip and remove it.

that's highly unlikely given his deep lack of knowledge about macs. he
mistakenly believes removing a file on the ssd will affect the
firmware.

removal of the chip would render the mac non-functional, and given what
he's trying to do with the firmware, that might occur anyway.

unfortunately, the mac is not his to experiment on.

> Please provide further information on where this 'chip' may be found.

on the logic board.

> Or are you simply guessing (again!)?

nope. i do not guess.

you said you're not a techie, so i explained it in non-technical terms.

if you do not understand, i can try to use smaller words.

Steve Carroll

Dec 7, 2021, 3:55:38 PM12/7/21
What an odd thing to say given that you've been asking the same
questions over and over, and getting the responses in English, for
years.

Shadow

Dec 7, 2021, 3:58:28 PM12/7/21
On Tue, 7 Dec 2021 19:56:59 +0000, David Brooks <Dav...@invalid.E-S>
wrote:

>On 07/12/2021 15:48, Kelly Phillips wrote:
>> On Tue, 7 Dec 2021 12:59:51 +0000, David Brooks <Dav...@invalid.E-S>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I was *NOT* dismissed from the Royal Navy - for *ANY* reason.
>>
>> Hard to believe you're still on active duty after all these years. I
>> guess the stories of insurance sales scams and financial management
>> scams, not to mention the stories of boating on sewage canals, were all
>> a ruse to hide the fact that you're still a member of the RN.
>>
>> Or, it could be that you're simply being dishonest again.
>>
>>> The truth WILL out - always. :-D
>>
>> Oh, it's out. That cake is fully baked.
>

>I didn't realise that English isn't your first language.
>
>Sorry about that.

It's not mine either. A lot of people speak more than one
language.
Look it up next time you're sober.

------------------------------------
rather, he said "Do it *NOW*!":

<https://tekrider.net/pages/david-brooks-stalker.php>

101 confirmed #FAKE_NYMS, most used in cybercrimes!
Google "David Brooks Stalker".

Wolffan

Dec 7, 2021, 5:09:37 PM12/7/21
On 2021 Dec 07, David Brooks wrote
(in article<sonls9$jum$1...@hunterbd.eternal-september.org>):
you keep saying that he’s lying. you keep never, ever, backing that up.
Gee. I wonder why... Actually, I _know_ damn well why you can never point to
a specofic lie and show exactly why it’s untrue.

> I was *NOT* dismissed from the Royal Navy - for *ANY* reason.

you were given the opportunity to resign, for the good of the service, rather
than to be court-martialed and thereby reveal all of the RN’s dirty linen.

> The truth WILL out - always. :-D

the truth has come out. and you have been outed, vile one.

David Brooks

Dec 7, 2021, 5:50:36 PM12/7/21
The Kelly Phillips character has no understanding of the word "dismissed".

David Brooks

Dec 7, 2021, 5:56:39 PM12/7/21
He lies with every breath. I cannot comprehend why you believe a word he
says. *HE* never provides any evidence, haven't you noticed that yet, Dumbo?

>> I was *NOT* dismissed from the Royal Navy - for *ANY* reason.
>
> you were given the opportunity to resign, for the good of the service, rather
> than to be court-martialed and thereby reveal all of the RN’s dirty linen.

THAT is a *LIE* - Total Bollocks!

>> The truth WILL out - always. :-D
>
> the truth has come out. and you have been outed, vile one.

You've swallowed lies, hook line and sinker. You should be ashamed of
yourself.

--
David
*GOOD GUY*!

Shadow

Dec 7, 2021, 6:25:25 PM12/7/21
On Tue, 7 Dec 2021 22:50:33 +0000, David Brooks <Dav...@invalid.E-S>
wrote:

>On 07/12/2021 20:55, Steve Carroll wrote:

>>> I didn't realise that English isn't your first language.
>>>
>>> Sorry about that.
>>
>> What an odd thing to say given that you've been asking the same
>> questions over and over, and getting the responses in English, for
>> years.
>
>The Kelly Phillips character has no understanding of the word "dismissed".

To dismiss:
"1. To end the employment or service of".

What do you call being asked to "retire - or else" long before
you were due to official retirement?
Seems KP speaks better English than you do.
Why are you STILL posting about your personal vices on a Mac
group? Do you feel no shame?
OT up.

------------------------------------
rather, he said "Do it *NOW*!":

<https://tekrider.net/pages/david-brooks-stalker.php>

101 confirmed #FAKE_NYMS, most used in cybercrimes!
Google "David Brooks Stalker".

Steve Carroll

Dec 7, 2021, 6:41:35 PM12/7/21
On 2021-12-07, David Brooks <Dav...@invalid.E-S> wrote:

(snip)

> You've swallowed lies, hook line and sinker. You should be ashamed of
> yourself.

Even if this were true, considering the amount of horsesh*t Glasser
stuffed down your gullet in the last couple of years, why would this
bother someone like you (read: a hypocrite like you)?

LegionX

Dec 7, 2021, 7:14:20 PM12/7/21
David Brooks <Dav...@invalid.E-S> Wrote in message:

>You've swallowed lies, hook line and sinker. You should be ashamed of yourself.

No sane logical thinking individual would agree with you. You are
every bit as described.

>David*GOOD GUY*!

Is snit sharing his jenkem recipe with you? You're just as
dillusonal as he is.

--
<https://tinyurl.com/WhatIsSnit>
<https://tinyurl.com/Snitliesmethods>
<https://tinyurl.com/Snit-Reviews>
<https://tinyurl.com/Snitwhopperlie>
<https://tinyurl.com/Snit-teddybear>
<https://tinyurl.com/Snitonduck>
<https://tinyurl.com/Snitongoogle>
<https://tinyurl.com/Snitdrugabuse1>
<https://tinyurl.com/Snitdrugabuse2>
<https://tinyurl.com/Snitdrugabuse3>
<https://tinyurl.com/Snitdrugabuse4>
<https://tinyurl.com/Snitdrugabuse5>
<https://tinyurl.com/Snitdrugabuse6>
<https://tinyurl.com/Snitdrugabuse7>
<https://tinyurl.com/Snitdrugabuse8>
<https://tinyurl.com/Snitdrugabuse9>
<https://tinyurl.com/Snitdrugabuse10>
<https://tinyurl.com/Snitdrugabuse11>
Snit is one f*cked up puppy - who steals our hard earned tax
paying dollars from the government by running a long con for
welfare - who can be reached via telephone - text message - or in
person - by using the publically available contact information
below:

Michael (snit) and Anne Glasser (life-like troll lady)
3181 Willow Dr, Prescott, AZ
86301-4855
1.928.445.3425 or 1-(928)-445-3425
1.928.776.9519 or 1-(928)-776-9519
They are professional Grifters who live on the benefits your hard
earned tax paying dollars provide. Animal abuser = snit pissed on
his own cat!

philo

Dec 7, 2021, 7:46:00 PM12/7/21
In case I end up making things worse, I will simply rename rather than delete.
I already stated I am getting a 7x17 to ssd adaptor.
As to the firmware, AFAIK, that's on the T2 chip, not the ssd.

One tutorial I saw said the T2 chip could be replaced in order to get by a lost passcode.

They suggested taking one out of a scrap MacBook.

Even though for my job, I did repair control boards...I had the equipment to do so.
Now that I'm retired, I do not have the complete workstation that I'd need.

Wolffan

Dec 7, 2021, 7:59:21 PM12/7/21
On 2021 Dec 07, David Brooks wrote
(in article<sooor6$oke$1...@hunterbd.eternal-september.org>):
you keep saying that. you keep not supporting it.
> I cannot comprehend why you believe a word he
> says. *HE* never provides any evidence, haven't you noticed that yet, Dumbo?

i believe him... because, among other things, a lot of what he says is also
reported elsewhere, and by people not on usenet and who have no connection to
him.

Meanwhile, no-one supports your version of events. and you refuse to provide
support. you just had the chance to show where the lies were... and declined
to do so. This, of itself, speaks volumes about you, none of it good.

> > > I was *NOT* dismissed from the Royal Navy - for *ANY* reason.
> >
> > you were given the opportunity to resign, for the good of the service,
> > rather
> > than to be court-martialed and thereby reveal all of the RN’s dirty linen.
>
> THAT is a *LIE* - Total Bollocks!

nearly a dozen others disagree. I believe them. I don’t believe you.

You simply have not, or can not, show why they would lie after OVER 40 YEARS.
Either you or they are lying... and they have the same names, dates, places.
Occam’s Razor says to believe them, not you... unless and until you can
come up with a reason why so many would tell the same stories. Either it’s
the truth, or you did something 40 years ago to really, really, REALLY anger
a lot of people. So which is it? Where you a serial homosexual sexual
harasser, or did you _seriously_ piss off a large number of POs and warrants?
It’s one or the other... and my money is on both: you were a serial
homosexual sexual abuser, which seriously pissed off a large number of POs
and warrants. And they intend to see you burn at the stake for what you did
as your ‘punishment’ was far too light.

> > > The truth WILL out - always. :-D
> >
> > the truth has come out. and you have been outed, vile one.
>
> You've swallowed lies,

nope.
> hook line and sinker. You should be ashamed of
> yourself.

I’m not the vile serial homosexual sexual harasser.

Snit

Dec 7, 2021, 8:04:36 PM12/7/21
On Dec 7, 2021 at 3:56:37 PM MST, "David Brooks" wrote
<sooor6$oke$1...@hunterbd.eternal-september.org>:
He likely does so merely for the attention. Just looked at some of the posts
by Gremlin and Carroll... they are addicted to the attention and cannot help
themselves from begging even when I have mostly ignored them for quite some
time. It is not that these folks believe their claims, or are having
discussions in good faith, they just want to hurt others because of the pain
they feel.

I feel sorry for them.

--
Personal attacks from those who troll show their own insecurity. They cannot use reason to show the message to be wrong so they try to feel somehow superior by attacking the messenger.

nospam

Dec 7, 2021, 8:53:45 PM12/7/21
In article <2b9729095b3c2392...@news.novabbs.com>, philo
<ph...@news.novabbs.com> wrote:

> In case I end up making things worse,

exactly as predicted, to the surprise of absolutely nobody.

> I will simply rename rather than delete.

that doesn't matter since macos looks for that file by name, so the
effect is identical.

the bigger issue is that won't fix a firmware password, nor could it
possibly do so.

the fact that you think that removing a file on an ssd/hd would affect
uefi firmware indicates you have *no* idea what you're doing.

however, what it will do, and just as you noted, is it will make things
worse, much more so than it is already.

tip: don't remove files whose purpose you do not understand.
tip #2: don't try to fix something that you cannot fix.

> I already stated I am getting a 7x17 to ssd adaptor.

yep, but not which one, which matters.

it's quite possible you're getting the wrong one.

> As to the firmware, AFAIK, that's on the T2 chip, not the ssd.

there is no t2 chip in that mac and you obviously don't understand what
firmware is or what it does, which is a *very* important detail when
dealing with a firmware password. you also don't know what a t2 chip
is.

> One tutorial I saw said the T2 chip could be replaced in order to get by a
> lost passcode.
>
> They suggested taking one out of a scrap MacBook.

!!!!!!!!!!

words escape me.

you're in *way* over your head.

stop trying to fix something you cannot fix.

put everything back together the way you found it and give it back to
the person, hopefully with it functioning exactly as it did when you
first got it. tell her to go to an apple store for further assistance.

*stop* experimenting with someone else's computer, unless you are
prepared to buy her a new one when (not if) you fuck it up.

> Even though for my job, I did repair control boards...I had the equipment to
> do so.
> Now that I'm retired, I do not have the complete workstation that I'd need.

no, that's definitely not what's needed.
It is loading more messages.