Re: Switcher: iPod to move files from PC to Mac?

Message has been deleted

Chris Moore

Apr 3, 2005, 9:02:31 PM4/3/05
In article <1gugla5.mer2w6r5xif4N%tobeorno...@hotmail.com>,
Shelby W. <tobeorno...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I'm trying to help my folks switch from Windows to Mac, and I want to
> know if I can connect an iPod mini (which has been formatted for use
> with Macs) to their PC to copy the personal non-music files they want to
> move to their new iMac.
>
> I remember hearing that iPods are formatted for either Mac or PC the
> first time they're connected to iTunes, so I wonder if that means I
> can't save their non-music files and transfer them painlessly.
>
> (Please: no alternative suggestions for transferring files. I just want
> to know about the ability to use the iPod. Thanks.)

PC's can not read Mac formatting without third party software
alternatives. As of yet, you haven't convinced me that it has to be Mac
formatted though. They don't get formatted by connecting to iTunes.

Message has been deleted

Chris Moore

Apr 4, 2005, 5:34:52 PM4/4/05
In article <1gugulw.1nia9u2b4iem8N%tobeorno...@hotmail.com>,
Shelby W. <tobeorno...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> These discussions
>
> http://www.ipodlounge.com/forums/archive/topic/3854-1.html
> http://www.ipodlounge.com/forums/archive/topic/77908-1.html
>
> suggest that Macs can read Windows-formatted ipods, but not the reverse.
> I've read this elsewhere, too.

That would be correct. However, " I remember hearing that iPods are

formatted for either Mac or PC the first time they're connected to

iTunes" would be incorrect. The question is, did you purchase a Mac or
Windows formatted iPod? It was formatted before you bought it. Though
I'll add, it can be reformatted to whatever you choose at a later time,
you don't have to be stuck with the original format.

Message has been deleted