Printing problems

10 views
Skip to first unread message

David Misner

unread,
Mar 29, 2005, 10:54:26 PM3/29/05
to
I am not sure what the problem is exactly But I am not able
to print. I do not get any error messages it just won't print
it says it is printing but no paper comes out of the printer.
I have a PowerMac G4 using OS 9.2.2 and trying to print on a HP P1000
I downloaded the drivers. Am I suppose to do something else?
every time I print it says something about spooling page x to disk
but nothing happens after that. I am a fairly new Mac user
it is probably something stupid that I have not checked

Help!!

Thanks in advance

Message has been deleted

David Misner

unread,
Mar 30, 2005, 7:23:04 AM3/30/05
to
On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 08:02:58 -0500, Warren Oates wrote
(in article <qsx2e.8934$w63.7...@news20.bellglobal.com>):

> You went to the "Chooser" and selected your printer? And you did a
> "page setup" from the application you're printing from? Re-"booted"
> the printer (according to the manufacturer's instructions)? Made sure
> the printer is connected to the proper port (USB, most likely)?
>
> You can also call up the Apple System Profiler to see if the Mac sees
> the printer where it should be.


What does duplex unit mean??

David Misner

unread,
Mar 30, 2005, 7:28:58 AM3/30/05
to
> You went to the "Chooser" and selected your printer? And you did a
> "page setup" from the application you're printing from? Re-"booted"
> the printer (according to the manufacturer's instructions)? Made sure
> the printer is connected to the proper port (USB, most likely)?

Yes I did all that and nothing. Though I am not sure how to "reboot" the
printer.

I opened up page setup up but I have no idea what to do.

The printer is connected to the USB port


> You can also call up the Apple System Profiler to see if the Mac sees
> the printer where it should be.

I did that and the Mac sees the printer


I am going nuts here. It is probablt something stupid that I am over looking

Charles Dyer

unread,
Mar 30, 2005, 10:52:44 AM3/30/05
to
On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 22:54:26 -0500, David Misner wrote
(in article <0001HW.BE6F8D22...@news.giganews.com>):

have you checked HP's site? There appear to be several problems with this
printer. You might want to have a look and see if the suggested solutions
solve your problem.

--
We are Microsoft of Borg. You will be assimilated. Stability is irrelevant.
Where _you_ want to go to today is irrelevant. We will add your currency to
our own. Bend over right now. Resistance is futile.

Charles Dyer

unread,
Mar 30, 2005, 11:03:15 AM3/30/05
to
On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 07:28:58 -0500, David Misner wrote
(in article <0001HW.BE7005BA...@news.giganews.com>):

>> You went to the "Chooser" and selected your printer? And you did a
>> "page setup" from the application you're printing from? Re-"booted"
>> the printer (according to the manufacturer's instructions)? Made sure
>> the printer is connected to the proper port (USB, most likely)?
>
> Yes I did all that and nothing.

If that did nothing, then most likely the printer drivers were not properly
installed. HP's installers have known problems, and the installers for the
P1000 are worse than most. They are so bad that there's a specific line item
in HP's FAQ for that printer about them.
<http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?dlc=en&softwareitem=ps-18120-
1&lc=en&product=61872&os=13&lang=en&cc=us&docname=bpm35033>

If the drivers are loaded, you _should_ see in the leftmost window of the
Chooser dialog several icons, one of which will be for your printer. Click on
that icon. If there is no icon for your printer, then the drivers are not
properly installed if they're installed at all. Install them.

> Though I am not sure how to "reboot" the
> printer.

Usually you turn the printer off then back on. Sometimes you have to hold
down a specific button. This should be in the Quick Start foldout, if
present, that the printer came with, and if not there should be in the
manual, paper or PDF, which the printer came with.

>
> I opened up page setup up but I have no idea what to do.

it won't do much if the printer isn't selected.

>
> The printer is connected to the USB port

Make sure that the printer is turned ON. Make sure that the USB cable is
PROPERLY plugged in. (I'd unplug the cable FROM BOTH ENDS and then plug it
back in again. The FIRST thing I do whenever there's a cable involved is to
make sure it's plugged in. You'd be surprised how many problems that solves.)

>
>
>> You can also call up the Apple System Profiler to see if the Mac sees
>> the printer where it should be.
>
> I did that and the Mac sees the printer
>
>
> I am going nuts here. It is probablt something stupid that I am over looking
>
>
>

--

David Misner

unread,
Mar 30, 2005, 8:49:19 AM3/30/05
to
On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 11:03:15 -0500, Charles Dyer wrote
(in article <0001HW.BE7037F3...@news1.news.adelphia.net>):

> On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 07:28:58 -0500, David Misner wrote
> (in article <0001HW.BE7005BA...@news.giganews.com>):
>
>>> You went to the "Chooser" and selected your printer? And you did a
>>> "page setup" from the application you're printing from? Re-"booted"
>>> the printer (according to the manufacturer's instructions)? Made sure
>>> the printer is connected to the proper port (USB, most likely)?
>>
>> Yes I did all that and nothing.
>
> If that did nothing, then most likely the printer drivers were not properly
> installed. HP's installers have known problems, and the installers for the
> P1000 are worse than most. They are so bad that there's a specific line item
> in HP's FAQ for that printer about them.
> <http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?dlc=en&softwareitem=ps-18120-
> 1&lc=en&product=61872&os=13&lang=en&cc=us&docname=bpm35033>
>
> If the drivers are loaded, you _should_ see in the leftmost window of the
> Chooser dialog several icons, one of which will be for your printer. Click on

> that icon. If there is no icon for your printer, then the drivers are not
> properly installed if they're installed at all. Install them.


Well I open chooser and I see the printer icon. I select it and under
where it has select a printer it has the printer name. I click on it.
Then what am I suppose to do??


>> Though I am not sure how to "reboot" the
>> printer.
>
> Usually you turn the printer off then back on. Sometimes you have to hold
> down a specific button. This should be in the Quick Start foldout, if
> present, that the printer came with, and if not there should be in the
> manual, paper or PDF, which the printer came with.

I have no manual for it. I turned it off then back on


>> I opened up page setup up but I have no idea what to do.
>
> it won't do much if the printer isn't selected.
>
>>
>> The printer is connected to the USB port
>
> Make sure that the printer is turned ON. Make sure that the USB cable is
> PROPERLY plugged in. (I'd unplug the cable FROM BOTH ENDS and then plug it
> back in again. The FIRST thing I do whenever there's a cable involved is to
> make sure it's plugged in. You'd be surprised how many problems that solves.)


OK. I will try that

David Misner

unread,
Mar 30, 2005, 8:50:34 AM3/30/05
to
On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 10:52:44 -0500, Charles Dyer wrote
(in article <0001HW.BE70357C...@news1.news.adelphia.net>):

> On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 22:54:26 -0500, David Misner wrote
> (in article <0001HW.BE6F8D22...@news.giganews.com>):
>
>> I am not sure what the problem is exactly But I am not able
>> to print. I do not get any error messages it just won't print
>> it says it is printing but no paper comes out of the printer.
>> I have a PowerMac G4 using OS 9.2.2 and trying to print on a HP P1000
>> I downloaded the drivers. Am I suppose to do something else?
>> every time I print it says something about spooling page x to disk
>> but nothing happens after that. I am a fairly new Mac user
>> it is probably something stupid that I have not checked
>>
>> Help!!
>>
>> Thanks in advance
>>
>
> have you checked HP's site? There appear to be several problems with this
> printer. You might want to have a look and see if the suggested solutions
> solve your problem.

Not really. Every printer I have tried have had the same problem. I used a
HP 932C and an Imagewriter II

Message has been deleted

Spud Demon

unread,
Mar 30, 2005, 12:46:51 PM3/30/05
to
David Misner <mirac...@yahoo.com> writes in article <0001HW.BE700458...@news.giganews.com> dated Wed, 30 Mar 2005 07:23:04 -0500:

>
>What does duplex unit mean??

That's the part of the printer which turns the paper over so that it can
print on the other side.

-- spud_demon -at- thundermaker.net
The above may not (yet) represent the opinions of my employer.

Charles Dyer

unread,
Mar 30, 2005, 2:42:01 PM3/30/05
to
On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 08:50:34 -0500, David Misner wrote
(in article <0001HW.BE7018DA...@news.giganews.com>):

Ah... how on _Earth_ did you get an ImageWriter II to work with a G4?! IW IIs
are _serial_ printers! They haven't been made in ages! Where did you dig one
up? I've got an old original Imagewriter hooked to one of the beige G3s, and
it's getting a little past it, so I'd be interested in replacing it with an
actual working IW II! There are no serial ports on a G4! I don't think that
anyone ever made PCI serial port cards!

I suspect that you're doing something wrong at a very fundamental level. Run
through what you're doing, step by step.

Message has been deleted

Tom Stiller

unread,
Mar 30, 2005, 3:04:37 PM3/30/05
to
In article <0001HW.BE706B39...@news1.news.adelphia.net>,
Charles Dyer <char...@newsguy.com> wrote:

> Ah... how on _Earth_ did you get an ImageWriter II to work with a G4?! IW IIs
> are _serial_ printers! They haven't been made in ages! Where did you dig one
> up? I've got an old original Imagewriter hooked to one of the beige G3s, and
> it's getting a little past it, so I'd be interested in replacing it with an
> actual working IW II! There are no serial ports on a G4! I don't think that
> anyone ever made PCI serial port cards!
>
> I suspect that you're doing something wrong at a very fundamental level. Run
> through what you're doing, step by step.

I have an ImageWriter II with an LocalTalk card installed and an Asante
Ethernet to AppleTalk adapter.

--
Tom Stiller

PGP fingerprint = 5108 DDB2 9761 EDE5 E7E3
7BDA 71ED 6496 99C0 C7CF

David Misner

unread,
Mar 30, 2005, 1:16:37 PM3/30/05
to
On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 12:30:35 -0500, Warren Oates wrote
(in article <hnB2e.10481$w63.8...@news20.bellglobal.com>):

> On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 08:49:19 -0500
> David Misner <mirac...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> Well I open chooser and I see the printer icon. I select it and under
>> where it has select a printer it has the printer name. I click on it.
>> Then what am I suppose to do??
>

> Well, normally, some stuff appears in the right pane of the chooser;
> there may be a button to press to help you set up the
> printer. Whatever, then you close the chooser, and you should be
> presented with a dialogue advising you to "choose Page Setup" in all
> your open applications.

OK. I get that. Why does it advise me to do that??


> But you've said in another post that you can't get other printers to
> work, including an ImageWriter? An ImageWriter? How have you got it
> connected?


It was connected to my 8500

David Misner

unread,
Mar 30, 2005, 1:15:23 PM3/30/05
to
On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 12:46:51 -0500, Spud Demon wrote
(in article <d2eoma$csu$1...@newslocal.mitre.org>):

> David Misner <mirac...@yahoo.com> writes in article
> <0001HW.BE700458...@news.giganews.com> dated Wed, 30 Mar 2005
> 07:23:04 -0500:
>>
>> What does duplex unit mean??
>
> That's the part of the printer which turns the paper over so that it can
> print on the other side.


OK Thanks then I do not need to worry about that then

David Misner

unread,
Mar 30, 2005, 1:22:13 PM3/30/05
to
> Ah... how on _Earth_ did you get an ImageWriter II to work with a G4?! IW IIs

> are _serial_ printers! They haven't been made in ages! Where did you dig one

> up? I've got an old original Imagewriter hooked to one of the beige G3s, and
> it's getting a little past it, so I'd be interested in replacing it with an
> actual working IW II! There are no serial ports on a G4! I don't think that
> anyone ever made PCI serial port cards!


I had it on my 8500. Somebody gave me it with some other Mac stuff awhile
ago.

Would you be interested in the IW II that I have? It is HEAVY!


> I suspect that you're doing something wrong at a very fundamental level. Run
> through what you're doing, step by step.


OK. I go to chooser and select hp photosmart. it asks me to select a
printer and I do then I close it down. It then opens up a requester
advising me to open up page setup in in all applications that I want to print
from. I open uo Eudora to print out an e-mail. I select print and OK
it says it is spooling pages to disk and then that is it

Message has been deleted

David Misner

unread,
Mar 30, 2005, 4:57:02 PM3/30/05
to
On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 19:03:44 -0500, Warren Oates wrote
(in article <R7H2e.14184$w63.9...@news20.bellglobal.com>):

> On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 13:22:13 -0500
> David Misner <mirac...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> OK. I go to chooser and select hp photosmart. it asks me to select a
>> printer and I do then I close it down. It then opens up a requester
>> advising me to open up page setup in in all applications that I want to
>> print
>> from. I open uo Eudora to print out an e-mail. I select print and OK
>> it says it is spooling pages to disk and then that is it
>

> You know, I've seen this behaviour in OS 9 too. I just kept rebooting
> the Mac and turning the printer on and off, and eventually it started
> working.
>
> You might try reinstalling the printer drivers. Have you visited the
> HP site to see if there's a newer driver? OS 9.2.2, right?

I have and got the newest driver.

Is there some setting I should be looking at? How does Mac print?
it uses Appletalk?

Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages