How does one tell which "generation" of iPod has been purchased?

Paul Soderman

Apr 4, 2005, 7:45:14 PM4/4/05
My son has a 15Gig iPod. I understand, from a MacAddict article from awhile
back, that I should be able to replace the battery myself and I probably
will give it a try.

I'm not sure as to which "generation" this iPod is, as it bears a 2003 date
on the back side but I think we bought it in 2004. This information is
apparently needed in order to purchase the appropriate battery from various
online sources.

Much thanks for any help in pointing me in the right direction as to
figuring out this stuff.

Regards, Paul Soderman

D P Schreber

Apr 4, 2005, 9:15:53 PM4/4/05
["Followup-To:" header set to comp.sys.mac.apps.]

On 2005-04-04, Paul Soderman <Kidp...@comcast.net> wrote:
> I'm not sure as to which "generation" this iPod is

The easiest way to tell is by the four control buttons (menu/on,
prev-track, next-track, pause/off).

If they're mechanical and are arranged around the outside of the scroll
wheel, that's either first or second generation. You can easily
distinguish 1G iPods, since they're the only ones with a mechanical
scroll wheel.

If the buttons are touch-sensitive and arranged in a line above the
scroll wheel, that's third generation.

If the scroll wheel itself is clicked to perform these functions, that's
fourth generation.

Given that yours is 15GB, I think that rules out 1G and 4G anyway. But
I'm not sure about that.

Garner Miller

Apr 4, 2005, 10:08:43 PM4/4/05
In article <BE7749CA.10A6B%Kidp...@comcast.net>, Paul Soderman
<Kidp...@comcast.net> wrote:

> My son has a 15Gig iPod. I understand, from a MacAddict article from awhile
> back, that I should be able to replace the battery myself and I probably
> will give it a try.
>
> I'm not sure as to which "generation" this iPod is, as it bears a 2003 date
> on the back side but I think we bought it in 2004. This information is
> apparently needed in order to purchase the appropriate battery from various
> online sources.

First-generation had a physical scroll wheel that rotated, and four
physical buttons that surrounded the scroll wheel.

Second-generation still had the four buttons, but the scroll wheel was
a touchwheel.

Third generation had the four buttons moved to the top of the control
area; they're four round buttons, with red backlighting when the screen
backlight comes on. It kept the touch-wheel, and added the wide Dock
Connector on the bottom.

Fourth generation doesn't have buttons, but instead the scroll wheel
can be pressed in four areas to act as buttons, just as the mini does.
This is called the Click Wheel.

Apple's page may help put it in context, as it has some pictures of
what I describe above:

Garner R. Miller
Clifton Park, NY =USA=

BluaP