Mac Pro 1,1 upgrade to Yosemite

Warren Oates

Feb 10, 2015, 4:32:53 PM2/10/15
I'm upgrading a Mac Pro 1,1 to Yosemite and it's easier than you'd think
if you have access to a Mac that can run it (Yosemite) natively. I got
it to work by hooking up a BlackX dock to my MacBook Pro 4,1, and
installing to an older 320gig drive. Then I booted the MacBook Pro from
that drive and upgraded to 10.10.2. Then I hooked the BlacX with the
drive in it to my Mac Pro and booted and HOLY SHIT, there it was all
nicely booted.

Of course, I can't do anything useful with it because I still have the
original 7300 GT video adapter, but that's easy to replace and the cost
is nothing really given that it will breath about 4 years of new life
into a very powerful computer.

Basically the steps are:

Hook a drive up to a Yosemite-capable Mac
Run the Install Yosemite application, and choose that drive
Let it install (takes its own sweet time)
Reboot the Yosemite-capable Mac from that drive
Let the system update to 10.10.2
Reboot from your original drive

Attach the drive you just installed to to your Mac Pro 1,1
Download one of these:
http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=20283936&postcount=1616

On the drive you just attached:

Go into /System/Library/CoreServices and replace the boot.efi file there
with one of the downloaded files (renamed to boot.efi)
Go into /usr/standalone/i386 and replace the boot.efi file there
with one of the downloaded files (renamed to boot.efi)

Notes: the file in /System/Library/CoreServices is locked
the /usr directory is accessed from the Go To Folder menu item
you can probably use TDM instead of an external drive

Now y'all should be good to go, as they say. Reboot, and choose your new
Yosemite drive as startup.

I spent ages researching this stuff, with weird bootloaders and
modifications to obscure plists in the installer software and never got
anywhere. This just works. Now I'm off to find a good video card. Any
recommendations? I'm looking at 5770s.

Pisses me off that Apple don't support this stuff. I don't mind buying a
new video card, but I'm not buying a new Mac Pro looks like a coffee
grinder.
--
Where's the Vangelis music?
Pris' tongue is sticking out in in the wide shot after Batty has kissed her.

Your Name

Feb 10, 2015, 7:07:52 PM2/10/15
In article <54da7904$0$39582$c3e8da3$f017...@news.astraweb.com>,
Warren Oates <warren...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm upgrading a Mac Pro 1,1 to Yosemite and it's easier than you'd think
> if you have access to a Mac that can run it (Yosemite) natively. I got
> it to work by hooking up a BlackX dock to my MacBook Pro 4,1, and
> installing to an older 320gig drive. Then I booted the MacBook Pro from
> that drive and upgraded to 10.10.2. Then I hooked the BlacX with the
> drive in it to my Mac Pro and booted and HOLY SHIT, there it was all
> nicely booted.
>
> Of course, I can't do anything useful with it because I still have the
> original 7300 GT video adapter, but that's easy to replace and the cost
> is nothing really given that it will breath about 4 years of new life
> into a very powerful computer.
>
> Basically the steps are:
>
> Hook a drive up to a Yosemite-capable Mac
> Run the Install Yosemite application, and choose that drive
> Let it install (takes its own sweet time)
> Reboot the Yosemite-capable Mac from that drive
> Let the system update to 10.10.2

The problem is that installing an updating on a totally different
computer may not install all the necessary drivers, etc. for all of the
the second computer's hardware.

As an example, installing Mac OS X on a Mac Pro without a DVD drive may
not install CD / DVD drivers, so the Mac Pro may not be able to use
it's DVD drive. (Before the numbnuts start: this is just a simple
example, not an actual situation. With some people still using external
DVD drives, it's likely Mac OS X still installs DVD drivers as standard
anyway.)

Warren Oates

Feb 10, 2015, 7:20:02 PM2/10/15
In article <110220151308446746%Your...@YourISP.com>,
Your Name <Your...@YourISP.com> wrote:

> The problem is that installing an updating on a totally different
> computer may not install all the necessary drivers, etc. for all of the
> the second computer's hardware.
>
> As an example, installing Mac OS X on a Mac Pro without a DVD drive may
> not install CD / DVD drivers, so the Mac Pro may not be able to use
> it's DVD drive. (Before the numbnuts start: this is just a simple
> example, not an actual situation. With some people still using external
> DVD drives, it's likely Mac OS X still installs DVD drivers as standard
> anyway.)

Thats's a good point. I haven't tested out all the stuff. The MacBook
Pro and the Mac Pro both have optical drives, although I don't think
we've used the one in the laptop for a year or more. I still burn the
occasional disc on the tower. I must say, though, that I haven't heard
any problems in that area (drivers). There's some glitch with Facetime
and possibly iCloud accounts, but apparently Apple will authorize these
upgraded Mac Pros. I don't use either of those things, but it's good to
know about.

The biggest problem is that Apple's updates will (sometimes) overwrite
the customized boot.efi, but there's a script that someone's come up
with that copies the customized one and re-inserts it at every boot.