Apple TV

Michelle Steiner

Sep 21, 2014, 7:51:30 PM9/21/14
My Apple TV is acting up; I have the model 2. It takes a few minutes
before it displays anything on the TV, and then it doesn�t react to any
button presses on the remote, even though the light blinks when I press
a button. It can, though, display AirPlay content from my iPad (and, I
presume, my iPhone and iMac).

Alan Browne

Sep 21, 2014, 8:15:12 PM9/21/14
Nothing to help - but I basically only use my Apple TV (4th IIRC) as a
"repeater" (AirPlay) from my iMac. I don't browse content from the
Apple TV anymore.

--
I was born a 1%er - I'm just more equal than the rest.

Patty Winter

Sep 21, 2014, 8:33:52 PM9/21/14

In article <210920141651303123%mich...@michelle.org>,
When I have troubles with a satellite or cable box, I unplug it for
a few minutes. Have you tried that?

Patty

Michelle Steiner

Sep 21, 2014, 11:14:58 PM9/21/14
In article <541f6e70$0$36572$742e...@news.sonic.net>, Patty Winter
<pat...@wintertime.com> wrote:

> >My Apple TV is acting up; I have the model 2. It takes a few minutes
> >before it displays anything on the TV, and then it doesn�t react to any
> >button presses on the remote, even though the light blinks when I press
> >a button. It can, though, display AirPlay content from my iPad (and, I
> >presume, my iPhone and iMac).
>
> When I have troubles with a satellite or cable box, I unplug it for
> a few minutes. Have you tried that?

Yes. Didn't help.

I'm going to take it to the Apple Store on Friday, after the iPhone
mania dies down.
Message has been deleted

Bruce Esquibel

Sep 22, 2014, 8:04:22 AM9/22/14
For what it's worth, remember that thing is similar to an iPhone or iPad.

If you have a micro usb cable you can use iTunes to reload the firmware.

Might help.

-bruce
b...@ripco.com

Mr. Strat

Sep 22, 2014, 9:28:16 AM9/22/14
In article <210920141651303123%mich...@michelle.org>, Michelle Steiner
<mich...@michelle.org> wrote:

We had a lot of Netflix problems with our ATV2 with it pausing or
saying that it couldn't access Netflix. I got tired of resetting it all
the time, so we got a Roku 3 off Woot...works great.

Michelle Steiner

Sep 22, 2014, 11:13:48 AM9/22/14
In article <vilain-529C53....@news.individual.net>, Michael
Vilain <vil...@NOspamcop.net> wrote:

> > > When I have troubles with a satellite or cable box, I unplug it for
> > > a few minutes. Have you tried that?
> >
> > Yes. Didn't help.
> >
> > I'm going to take it to the Apple Store on Friday, after the iPhone
> > mania dies down.
>
> Just a SWAG, but if you have a smart phone that can 'see' IR, try
> pointing the end of the Apple Remote at the camera app and pressing the
> ON button. Do you see any lights at the end of the remote?

Well, the light on the Apple TV blinks when I press the button on the
remote, so the Apple TV is receiving a signal from the remote.
Further, the same problem exists with my Harmony remote as well as the
Apple remote, so I doubt that it is a battery issue.

> Then again, taking it to the Genius Bar may just be easier. If it
> works there, then there's something in your home network that's
> interfering with the signal. What's your wireless AP? Apple or
> something else?

My wireless works with everything else, and the problem suddenly
developed about a week ago with no changes to the WiFi setup. And, as
I said, the Apple TV still works with AirPlay, so it's getting the WiFi
signal with no problem.

M-M

Sep 23, 2014, 9:48:40 AM9/23/14
In article <210920141651303123%mich...@michelle.org>, Michelle Steiner
<mich...@michelle.org> wrote:

Try replacing the HDMI cable

--
m-m
http://www.mhmyers.com

Michelle Steiner

Sep 23, 2014, 10:50:35 AM9/23/14
In article <230920140948404790%nos...@ny.more>, M-M <nos...@ny.more>
wrote:
Why would the HDMI cable cause this problem?

Jolly Roger

Sep 23, 2014, 11:11:09 AM9/23/14
Just curious: Have you connected the AppleTV to a computer running
iTunes yet?

JR

M-M

Sep 23, 2014, 1:54:07 PM9/23/14
In article <230920140750354143%mich...@michelle.org>, Michelle Steiner
<mich...@michelle.org> wrote:

> In article <230920140948404790%nos...@ny.more>, M-M <nos...@ny.more>
> wrote:
>
> > In article <210920141651303123%mich...@michelle.org>, Michelle Steiner
> > <mich...@michelle.org> wrote:
> >
> > > My Apple TV is acting up; I have the model 2. It takes a few minutes
> > > before it displays anything on the TV, and then it doesn�t react to any
> > > button presses on the remote, even though the light blinks when I press
> > > a button. It can, though, display AirPlay content from my iPad (and, I
> > > presume, my iPhone and iMac).
> >
> > Try replacing the HDMI cable
>
> Why would the HDMI cable cause this problem?

Because it sounds like from your description that the problem is
between the AppleTV and the TV.

HDMI cables go bad or are often defective.

--
m-m
http://www.mhmyers.com

Michelle Steiner

Sep 23, 2014, 2:08:13 PM9/23/14
In article <230920141354078927%nos...@ny.more>, M-M <nos...@ny.more>
wrote:

> Because it sounds like from your description that the problem is
> between the AppleTV and the TV.

How did you reach that conclusion? After a few minutes after I turn it
on, it presents its menu on the Apple TV. After that, it doesn't
respond to button clicks on the remote. But when I connect AirPlay on
my iPad to the Apple TV, the Apple TV displays the video perfectly. In
other words, the connection between the Apple TV and my TV is just
fine.

M-M

Sep 23, 2014, 8:32:29 PM9/23/14
In article <230920141108135639%mich...@michelle.org>, Michelle Steiner
OK then, maybe it's not the cable. But I would give it a try.

--
m-m
http://www.mhmyers.com

Michelle Steiner

Sep 23, 2014, 8:48:15 PM9/23/14
In article <230920142032299939%nos...@ny.more>, M-M <nos...@ny.more>
wrote:
It's definitely not the cable because it works just fine using a
wireless interface (Remote app on my iPad and also my wireless
keyboard).