[NEWS] Intel: Broadwell in PCs by Xmas

Your Name

May 20, 2014, 12:33:13 AM5/20/14

There might be new Broadwell-based Macs available near the end of the
year ...

Broadwell chips will be "in PCs by Christmas"
Intel CEO says PC makers will have Broadwell by the
end of the year, following production problems.

PCs containing Intel's next generation Broadwell
processors will be on the shelves by Christmas, the
company's CEO has promised.

Broadwell will see the current Haswell
microarchitecture shrunk to 14nm, but Intel has
struggled with production problems. The Broadwell
processors were originally planned to enter mass
production in late 2013, but last autumn the company
admitted that it was suffering from poor yield in
test production runs, with a higher rate of defects
than expected.

In a conference call with analysts last month, Intel
CEO Brian Krzanich said he expected the chips to be
with partners in the second half of this year.

Now, in an interview with Reuters, Krzanich suggests
it will be the back end of the year before we see
the processors inside PCs. "I can guarantee for
holiday, and not at the last second of holiday,"
Krzanich said.

Broadwell is expected to provide a fillip for the
tablet and laptop markets, in particular, with Intel
claiming that it offers a 30% improvement on battery
life compared to Haswell.

http://mobile.pcauthority.com.au/Article.aspx?CIID=385894&type=News