G3 sees 256 MB SDRAM DIMMs as 128 MB

13 views
Skip to first unread message

Jimmy Riddle

unread,
Apr 1, 2005, 10:07:28 AM4/1/05
to
We ordered 4 256MB SDRAM DIMMs for our G3. When we put them in, they
were working fine. Our G4 was having problems. The 512 SDRAM DIMM in it
was working in OS 9, but not in OS X. So I ordered a new 512 SDRAM DIMM
and put in it, along with 2 of the 256MB DIMMs from the G3 and then put
the old 512MB DIMM in the G3 with the other 2 256MB DIMMs, not knowing
that the G3 only supports up to 256 MB DIMMs. Well, now, all the DIMMs
are showing up as 128MB, even after I took out the 512MB DIMM. I tried
resetting the NVRAM and even took out the battery from the motherboard,
hoping that that would fix it, but it's still only seeing the 256 MB
DIMMs as 128 MB DIMMs. Any suggestions?

----== Posted via Newsfeeds.Com - Unlimited-Uncensored-Secure Usenet News==----
http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+ Newsgroups
----= East and West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =----

fudo

unread,
Apr 1, 2005, 2:25:41 PM4/1/05
to
In article <424d646c$1...@127.0.0.1>, Jimmy Riddle <sirs...@xtn.net>
wrote:

> We ordered 4 256MB SDRAM DIMMs for our G3. When we put them in, they
> were working fine. Our G4 was having problems. The 512 SDRAM DIMM in it
> was working in OS 9, but not in OS X. So I ordered a new 512 SDRAM DIMM
> and put in it, along with 2 of the 256MB DIMMs from the G3 and then put
> the old 512MB DIMM in the G3 with the other 2 256MB DIMMs, not knowing
> that the G3 only supports up to 256 MB DIMMs. Well, now, all the DIMMs
> are showing up as 128MB, even after I took out the 512MB DIMM. I tried
> resetting the NVRAM and even took out the battery from the motherboard,
> hoping that that would fix it, but it's still only seeing the 256 MB
> DIMMs as 128 MB DIMMs. Any suggestions?
>

I don't know if this will help in your situation or not, but there's a
utility out there called DIMM First Aid, you might try it and see. Only
runs in OS9, as I recall.

Jimmy Riddle

unread,
Apr 1, 2005, 3:23:47 PM4/1/05
to
fudo wrote:
> I don't know if this will help in your situation or not, but there's
> a utility out there called DIMM First Aid, you might try it and see.
> Only runs in OS9, as I recall.

Thanks,
I'll see if I can find it. I saw on Apple.com about MacTest Pro, but
it's only offered as a part of the Appple diagnostic kit which is
$900! I don't think so!

Jimmy Riddle

unread,
Apr 1, 2005, 4:28:50 PM4/1/05
to
fudo wrote:
> I don't know if this will help in your situation or not, but there's
> a utility out there called DIMM First Aid, you might try it and see.
> Only runs in OS9, as I recall.

I ran that program and it saw the 256 DIMMs as 128 and said the
checksums were incorrect, but it didn't fix anything.

fudo

unread,
Apr 3, 2005, 6:59:28 PM4/3/05
to
In article <424dbdce$1...@127.0.0.1>, Jimmy Riddle <sirs...@xtn.net>
wrote:

> fudo wrote:


> > I don't know if this will help in your situation or not, but there's
> > a utility out there called DIMM First Aid, you might try it and see.
> > Only runs in OS9, as I recall.
>
> I ran that program and it saw the 256 DIMMs as 128 and said the
> checksums were incorrect, but it didn't fix anything.
>

So, what model G3 is this? B&W or beige?

Steve D

unread,
Apr 9, 2005, 1:45:35 PM4/9/05
to

"fudo" <fu...@spamblocked.invalid> wrote in message
news:fudo-992194.1...@www.thurston.com...

You need double sided DIMMS. Do yours have chips only on one side?


Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages