How to make the Macbook Air touchpad not get in the way of typing

Ger Robertson

Sep 24, 2014, 1:16:14 AM9/24/14
I am new to the Macbook Air, and the misplaced touchpad is huge.
Too huge, in fact.

With my formal training in touch typing, my "thumbpads" (whatever that
fleshy corner of the palm is called)are directly on top of the huge
misplaced touchpad.

The touchpad is in exactly the wrong position for touch typists.

I don't like mice, as I travel a lot, but, is there a way to turn off the
huge misplaced touchpad, temporarily for typing, and then turn it back on
when needed?

nospam

Sep 24, 2014, 1:35:00 AM9/24/14
In article <lvtk2u$3h6$6...@news.albasani.net>, Ger Robertson
<some...@something.invalid> wrote:

> I am new to the Macbook Air, and the misplaced touchpad is huge.
> Too huge, in fact.

it's a good size and centered, which is exactly where it should be.

> With my formal training in touch typing, my "thumbpads" (whatever that
> fleshy corner of the palm is called)are directly on top of the huge
> misplaced touchpad.
>
> The touchpad is in exactly the wrong position for touch typists.
>
> I don't like mice, as I travel a lot, but, is there a way to turn off the
> huge misplaced touchpad, temporarily for typing, and then turn it back on
> when needed?

unlike other laptops, there's no need for it since it automatically
detects when your palms are on it.

<http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3009?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US>
The "Ignore accidental trackpad input" trackpad option no longer
appears in System Preferences. Functionality for "Ignore accidental
trackpad input" is enabled automatically, by default for these
computers.
Message has been deleted

Ger Robertson

Sep 24, 2014, 9:59:42 AM9/24/14
Lewis wrote, on Wed, 24 Sep 2014 08:35:31 +0000:

> If you were actually trained to touch type you would have been taught to
> never rest any part of your hand. You fingers should be above the
> keyboard, and nothing forward of your wrists should be resting.

This is a good point, for typewriters, which don't have the huge ledge
that computers have.

But it doesn't work for flat keyboards, at least not for me.

So, I'm really happy it works for you - but that doesn't not make it
horrid for me, hence why I am trying to disable the thing.

Maybe there is a way to trick it into thinking that a palm is on it when
my palms are literally on it, so, I will look at the reference nospam
noted, which may help me understand why it's not doing what you say it
should be doing.

Desh

Sep 24, 2014, 11:19:16 AM9/24/14
Instead of bragging about your formal touch typing background, perhaps
you should consider taking a course in how not to repeat the same thing
four times in a four paragraph post.

We got it the first time- you don't like the size and placement of the
touch pad;-)

--
We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to
visit violence on those who would do us harm.

Erilar

Sep 24, 2014, 3:04:30 PM9/24/14
I don't even use the laptop's keyboard when I'm home. I have a Bluetooth
keyboard that my ancient wrists appreciate. I also have a (different)
bluetooth keyboard for my iPad if I need to do a lot of typing on it.
--
Erilar, biblioholic medievalist with iPad

Ger Robertson

Sep 24, 2014, 4:14:38 PM9/24/14
Erilar wrote, on Wed, 24 Sep 2014 19:04:30 +0000:

> I don't even use the laptop's keyboard when I'm home. I have a Bluetooth
> keyboard that my ancient wrists appreciate. I also have a (different)
> bluetooth keyboard for my iPad if I need to do a lot of typing on it.

I understand, but I don't want an extra mouse or keyboard.
I just want the keyboard to work.
And I don't want the touchpad to keep messing everything up.

There *must* be a way to desensitize the darn thing.

Ger Robertson

Sep 24, 2014, 4:16:06 PM9/24/14
Desh wrote, on Wed, 24 Sep 2014 11:19:16 -0400:

> We got it the first time- you don't like the size and placement of the
> touch pad;-)

Even after saying it four times, you still managed to miss the key point.
:)

The point is that it's too sensitive so I'm asking how to desensitize it.
I'm not asking to move it or change its size.
Message has been deleted