Powerbook 5300CE & 40GB Hard Drive

DummyDoc

Mar 28, 2005, 7:26:31 PM3/28/05
Does the Powerbook 5300CE will work with this notebook hard drive including
Mac OS 7.5.5?

Does it limit the hard drive capacity or incompatible with BIOS?

Will it be overheat after the hard drive installed?

Description
===========
Manufacturer: Seagate
Model Number: ST94811A
Capacity: 40 GB with 8MB Cache buffer
Speed: 5400 rpm
Seek time: 12 ms avg
Interface: Ultra ATA/100

If it is the one, I will buy it from the Ebay Auction.

You can post it in newsgroups and don't reply. I will check it frequently.

Thanks
Doc

Nick

Mar 29, 2005, 12:30:42 AM3/29/05
In article <Jtydna-B_Yi...@rogers.com>,
"DummyDoc" <dumm...@rogers.com> wrote:

> Does the Powerbook 5300CE will work with this notebook hard drive including
> Mac OS 7.5.5?
>
> Does it limit the hard drive capacity or incompatible with BIOS?
>
> Will it be overheat after the hard drive installed?

I've swapped drives in 3400's and iBooks and Titaniums and Aluminums.
There are some cases in which the laptop's power will not supply enough
juice to an upgrade, and the drive simply will be unable to spin up.
Unfortunately I've never run across a definitive resource that says what
works and what doesn't. My failure cases were in the 3400 and the iBook
(G3/500). Your 5300 is between those models so you may encounter a
failure case. (so if you do try it out, don't completely seal the
PowerBook back up before you try booting it)

As to OS compatibility, I think this may help you:

http://www.lowendmac.com/pb2/5300.shtml

...there are definitely some limitations.

DummyDoc

Apr 7, 2005, 10:43:10 PM4/7/05
Hi Guys, thanks for posting the answers.

I have installed the Fujitsu MHT2030AT ( 30GB IDE - Ultra ATA/100 ATA-6 -
4200RPM ) on Powerbook 5300ce with 64MB RAM and it's non-Apple hard drive.
I was checking the website that it should be working with Powerbook 5300's
compatibilities. Is that correct and I was not sure if it is compatible
with Fujitsu?

Unfortunately, I tried to install FWB Hard Disk Toolkit 3.0 but it doesn't
show up on the hard disk initialization. Then I tried Mac OS 8.6, it
doesn't show yet.

Should I get the latest FWB Hard Disk Toolkit 4.5 to install the Apple
firmware or other recommended Hard Disk Utilities for Macintosh?

Have anyone familiar working with FWB Hard Disk Toolkit to recognize the big
IDE hard drive?

Is there a free utility to install the Apple firmware on it?

I am hoping to get the right answer before buying the FWB Hard Disk Toolkit
version 4.5 or FWB Hard Disk ToolkitT PE 4.5.

Is it worth to get the FWB HD PE 4.5 or the other one with full utilities?

Thanks
Doc

"Nick" <nch...@deaddogparty.com> wrote in message