"Do Not Disconnect" - "No iPod connected"

Samson

Mar 20, 2005, 2:28:16 PM3/20/05
I posted this at ipodlounge but so far no one's known the answer so
I'll try here:

Just bought my first iPod, a 30G Photo.

I made sure that my Mac OS 10.3 has the latest iTunes installed. I
have my music on an external LaCie firewire drive always plugged into
my Powerbook. I have set in Itunes > Preferences > Advanced > Music
Library to look in the Music folder that I've made on the external
drive. iTunes sees this folder and displays all the library.

When I plug in my iPod to the mac, I am using the cable that came with
it. Everything I've read implies that it is a firewire cable but I
didn't get a firewire cable with the iPod. I got a USB cable. So I
plug it into a USB port.

The Mac sees that the iPod is connected because it places the iPod
icon on the desktop when I plug it in.

But it just sits there and flashes Do Not Disconnect. I see no
activity that Itunes is uploading tunes to the iPod.

When I go to iTunes > Preferences > iPod it says "No iPod connected".

Also: I took it into the local iPod store yesterday to ask about this
and they plugged it into one of their Macs. -- I didn't bring the
cable so they used one of their firewire cables. When they plugged my
iPod in it automatically started loading the tunes they had on their
Mac. So I guess that means that the iPod is okay.

I was wondering if the USB cable is not right but the fact that when I
use it to plug the iPod to the Mac I do see an icon on the desktop
means that something is going through the USB port.

So what's going on?

\Samson

Chad Irby

Mar 20, 2005, 3:54:49 PM3/20/05
In article <d0gr31t9crid8aopa...@4ax.com>,
Samson <nos...@nospam.com> wrote:

> I posted this at ipodlounge but so far no one's known the answer so
> I'll try here:
>
> Just bought my first iPod, a 30G Photo.
>
> I made sure that my Mac OS 10.3 has the latest iTunes installed. I
> have my music on an external LaCie firewire drive always plugged into
> my Powerbook. I have set in Itunes > Preferences > Advanced > Music
> Library to look in the Music folder that I've made on the external
> drive. iTunes sees this folder and displays all the library.

Did you run the installer on the CD-ROM that came with the iPod to make
sure the drivers are correct?

Samson

Mar 20, 2005, 5:02:05 PM3/20/05

>Did you run the installer on the CD-ROM that came with the iPod to make
>sure the drivers are correct?

I remember doing it and checking to make sure that iTunes was up to
date. But to be sure I just tried to do it again. I stuck the
CD-ROM for the iPod into the Mac and ran the iPod installer.

It got to a window that says "Plug in an iPod to update it" and I did
so. The iPod icon is sitting on the desktop but both the Update and
Restore buttons are greyed out.

Very confusing because as mentioned:
1) the iPod worked at the Apple store yesterday when we took it in.
2) the USB cable appears to be working at least to the degree that
plugging it in puts an iPod icon on the desktop and changes the screen
on the iPod from the Menu to the Do Not Disconnect.

??????

P M Evans

Mar 20, 2005, 8:07:05 PM3/20/05
How old is the Powerbook? Išm betting that the problem is you only have
USB 1, not USB 2. Spend a few bucks and get the firewire cable for it.
You really wouldnšt want to transfer files to an iPod over USB 1. Sort
of like watching a snail race.

In article <d0gr31t9crid8aopa...@4ax.com>, Samson

Samson

Mar 20, 2005, 9:10:07 PM3/20/05
It is a PowerPC G4 550MHz, bought about four or five years ago. I've
got an external hard drive hooked up through firewire and a bunch of
other stuff like keyboard, wacom tablet, trackball mouse, APC UPS,
camera, and printer hooked to the USB port. It never occured to me
what speed the USB port is, but with those devices I wouldn't notice
the slower speed. Maybe it is USB 1.

Is there a app or window that I can look at to see if that is the
case?

\Samson

Samson

Mar 20, 2005, 10:20:57 PM3/20/05
Samson <nos...@nospam.com> wrote:

>It is a PowerPC G4 550MHz, bought about four or five years ago. I've
>got an external hard drive hooked up through firewire and a bunch of
>other stuff like keyboard, wacom tablet, trackball mouse, APC UPS,
>camera, and printer hooked to the USB port. It never occured to me
>what speed the USB port is, but with those devices I wouldn't notice
>the slower speed. Maybe it is USB 1.
>
>Is there a app or window that I can look at to see if that is the
>case?
>
>\Samson
>

>>> iPod in it automatically started loading the tunes they had on their

>>> Mac. So I guess that means that the iPod is okay.
>>>
>>> I was wondering if the USB cable is not right but the fact that when I
>>> use it to plug the iPod to the Mac I do see an icon on the desktop
>>> means that something is going through the USB port.
>>>
>>> So what's going on?
>>>
>>> \Samson

I got out the manual from the Powerbook and it talks about "USB" and
doesn't mention USB 2 so I guess it isn't USB 2. I'll go get a
firewire cable for it -- another $20.

Also I now note on the box that came with the iPod that it lists USB2
(or firewire) as a requirement.

\Samson

Chad Irby

Mar 20, 2005, 11:09:11 PM3/20/05
In article <q6bs315cafpbjfn8u...@4ax.com>,
Samson <nos...@nospam.com> wrote:

> It is a PowerPC G4 550MHz, bought about four or five years ago. I've
> got an external hard drive hooked up through firewire and a bunch of
> other stuff like keyboard, wacom tablet, trackball mouse, APC UPS,
> camera, and printer hooked to the USB port. It never occured to me
> what speed the USB port is, but with those devices I wouldn't notice
> the slower speed. Maybe it is USB 1.

It is.

I bet that if you let the iPod run overnight, you'd see some results.

I'm running an iPod Shuffle, and even with only 512 megs, it gets a bit
poky with USB 1.

Chad Irby

Mar 21, 2005, 10:10:16 AM3/21/05
In article <ukes31h6d5rtrrco5...@4ax.com>,
Samson <nos...@nospam.com> wrote:

> I got out the manual from the Powerbook and it talks about "USB" and
> doesn't mention USB 2 so I guess it isn't USB 2. I'll go get a
> firewire cable for it -- another $20.
>
> Also I now note on the box that came with the iPod that it lists USB2
> (or firewire) as a requirement.

If it works with USB2, it's supposed to be backwards-compatible with
USB1. My Shuffle works with my aftermarket USB1 card in my old beige G3.

Samson

Mar 21, 2005, 9:57:32 PM3/21/05
P M Evans <pme...@nospam.mac.com> wrote:

>How old is the Powerbook? Iım betting that the problem is you only have

>USB 1, not USB 2. Spend a few bucks and get the firewire cable for it.

>You really wouldnıt want to transfer files to an iPod over USB 1. Sort

>of like watching a snail race.

You were right. We got a firewire cable today and with that it works
fine. Thank you.

\Samson

Shawn Hearn

Mar 21, 2005, 10:48:06 PM3/21/05
In article <d0gr31t9crid8aopa...@4ax.com>,
Samson <nos...@nospam.com> wrote:

It is entirely possible the USB cable is defective, but you might have a
defective USB port on your computer. Try using a different USB port.

Shawn Hearn

Mar 21, 2005, 10:51:33 PM3/21/05
Samson <nos...@nospam.com> wrote:

> It is a PowerPC G4 550MHz, bought about four or five years ago. I've
> got an external hard drive hooked up through firewire and a bunch of
> other stuff like keyboard, wacom tablet, trackball mouse, APC UPS,
> camera, and printer hooked to the USB port. It never occured to me
> what speed the USB port is, but with those devices I wouldn't notice
> the slower speed. Maybe it is USB 1.
>
> Is there a app or window that I can look at to see if that is the
> case?

You can look at the system profiler. USB 2 ports are typically
identified as either "USB 2" or "high speed USB". Your old Powerbook
definitely has USB 1.1 since it predates USB 2.0 by a year or two. Do
not use your iPod on a USB hub if the hub is un-powered. You would
definitely be better off using your iPod via Firewire. USB 1 is okay for
scanners and low-bandwidth devices such as a mouse and keyboard, but you
will grow old waiting for data to download to an iPod that way.

HarryHydro

Mar 24, 2005, 1:10:52 PM3/24/05
Was it ever plugged into a PC? When I once plugged my iPod, with all
the songs I had on my Mac, into my PC, the iTunes on my PC reformatted
the iPods hard drive to a PC format. I had to run a utility on the
apple site to 'get it back'. I' don't know where to get a firewire
cable, but I'm sure they can be bought.
Harry

HarryHydro

Mar 24, 2005, 1:14:13 PM3/24/05
Watch that APC UPS software. If it doesn't see the UPS, on my G5, the
UPS software gradually brings the computer to a craw.
Don't know why..
Harry

HarryHydro

Mar 24, 2005, 1:16:39 PM3/24/05

dillweed

Mar 27, 2005, 8:22:53 PM3/27/05
Hey-

Check out this great site that is giving away totally FREE iPods!

I've joined and I think you should as well.

It's a completely legitimate offer, and this company has already given
away $4 million in FREE stuff!

Check out the article on Wired.com
http://www.wired.com/news/mac/0,2125,64614,00.html

All you have to do is join, complete an online offer, and refer friends
to do the same. That's it!

Here is my referral link. To help me get my iPod, click this exact link
to join, or copy and paste it into a browser:
http://www.freeiPods.com/?r=8462532