No more 2015's MF839LL model?

Ant

Jun 5, 2017, 5:38:13 PM6/5/17
Hello.

Did Apple just stop selling 2015's MF839LL model? If so, then are there
still similar model(s) like it with the old USB3 ports and stuff?

Thank you in advance. :)
--
"What do ants and bees use for cattle?" --Tom
this signature correctly.

David Empson

Jun 5, 2017, 8:03:36 PM6/5/17
Ant <a...@zimage.comANT> wrote:

> Did Apple just stop selling 2015's MF839LL model?

It would help if you actually described the model rather than just
giving an order number, especially as that order number is country
specific (and incomplete: it should be MF839LL/A for the North America
variant).

Yes, it appears Apple has just stopped selling the MacBook Pro (Retina,
13-inch, Early 2015) as a new purchase.

It will probably be available from Apple's refurbished online store for
a while, but without any configuration options. (The 128 GB storage
model is there now for the US Apple Store, no sign of any other
configurations and they probably won't show up again.)

https://www.apple.com/shop/browse/home/specialdeals

> If so, then are there still similar model(s) like it with the old USB3
> ports and stuff?

The only remaining new notebook models Apple sells with built-in USB 3
(type A) ports, MagSafe, Thunderbolt 2 and SD slot are:

MacBook Air (13-inch, Mid 2017?): just had a minor update to a faster
1.8 GHz Core i5 processor in the standard configurations, but it is the
same generation of processor as the Early 2015 series, with the same
upgrade option to a 2.2 GHz Core i7.

MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2015). This model has not been discontinued
yet. No technical changes since it was introduced.

If you specifically want two Thunderbolt 2 ports or built-in HDMI, you
need a MacBook Pro. The MacBook Air has a single Thunderbolt 2 port and
no HDMI.

--
David Empson
dem...@actrix.gen.nz

Ant

Jun 5, 2017, 8:54:28 PM6/5/17
In comp.sys.mac.portables David Empson <dem...@actrix.gen.nz> wrote:
> Ant <a...@zimage.comANT> wrote:

> > Did Apple just stop selling 2015's MF839LL model?

> It would help if you actually described the model rather than just
> giving an order number, especially as that order number is country
> specific (and incomplete: it should be MF839LL/A for the North America
> variant).

Ah, I didn't know this. Thanks. Yes, USA.

> Yes, it appears Apple has just stopped selling the MacBook Pro (Retina,
> 13-inch, Early 2015) as a new purchase.

> It will probably be available from Apple's refurbished online store for
> a while, but without any configuration options. (The 128 GB storage
> model is there now for the US Apple Store, no sign of any other
> configurations and they probably won't show up again.)

> https://www.apple.com/shop/browse/home/specialdeals

Yeah, customizations would be the key point as I told others if they
wanted older models and bigger sizes like RAM and SSD. :(

> > If so, then are there still similar model(s) like it with the old USB3
> > ports and stuff?

> The only remaining new notebook models Apple sells with built-in USB 3
> (type A) ports, MagSafe, Thunderbolt 2 and SD slot are:

> MacBook Air (13-inch, Mid 2017?): just had a minor update to a faster
> 1.8 GHz Core i5 processor in the standard configurations, but it is the
> same generation of processor as the Early 2015 series, with the same
> upgrade option to a 2.2 GHz Core i7.

> MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2015). This model has not been discontinued
> yet. No technical changes since it was introduced.

> If you specifically want two Thunderbolt 2 ports or built-in HDMI, you
> need a MacBook Pro. The MacBook Air has a single Thunderbolt 2 port and
> no HDMI.

Thanks.
--
Quote of the Week: "Don't step on ants... they're people too." --a quote from ANTZ movie
| |o o| |

bi...@mix.com

Jun 12, 2017, 4:31:15 AM6/12/17
In comp.sys.mac.system David Empson <dem...@actrix.gen.nz> wrote:

> Ant <a...@zimage.comANT> wrote:
>
> > Did Apple just stop selling 2015's MF839LL model?
>
> It would help if you actually described the model rather than just
> giving an order number, especially as that order number is country
> specific (and incomplete: it should be MF839LL/A for the North America
> variant).
>
> Yes, it appears Apple has just stopped selling the MacBook Pro (Retina,
> 13-inch, Early 2015) as a new purchase.

This is correct. Sunday, June 4th, was the last day of on-line sales.

In the past, I've found the local Apple stores (there are several in
southern California, where I believe Ant is, too) have some remaining
stock, but the only way to find out is to call them (each one) and ask.
Apple's call center staff will not know what's in their walk-in shops.

As an example, after the mid-2012 model (with Firewire) was dropped,
Apple's Century City store had more than ten of them in stock. These
are not likely to be anything other than (or close to) the base
configuration, but you might get lucky.

Billy Y..
--
sub #'9+1 ,r0 ; convert ascii byte
add #9.+1 ,r0 ; to an integer

Ant

Jun 12, 2017, 9:24:09 PM6/12/17
Yeah, these are defaults and not customized settings. It seems like
Apple ends their old models before their public product announcements.
--
Quote of the Week: "Ladies and gentlemen, hoboes and tramps... Crosseyed
Mosquitoes and bow-legged ants... I've come to tell you the story..."