Need a power AC part replacement for a 2012 13.3" 2012 9,2 / MD102ll/A model MacBook Pro.

Ant

May 26, 2019, 11:11:42 PM5/26/19
Hello.

https://imgur.com/a/VN9SaHQ shows the burned power adapter piece. :(
Will I be able to get it from a local Apple store on Tuesday since
tomorrow is an American holiday? If not, then where can I get one
quickly like from a local Orange County/Los Angeles area retail store?
The old MacBook Pro is 13.3" 9,2 / MD102ll/A model with Intel Core I7
CPU (2.9 ghz with 4 MB L3 cache (Turbo Boost up to 3.6 Ghz)) from 2012.

Thank you for reading and hopefully answering soon. :)
--
Quote of the Week: "I discovered that if one looks a little closer at
this beautiful world, there are always red ants underneath." --David

nospam

May 26, 2019, 11:18:17 PM5/26/19
In article <_ZWdnZ7JatD0yHbB...@earthlink.com>, Ant
<a...@zimage.comANT> wrote:

> https://imgur.com/a/VN9SaHQ shows the burned power adapter piece. :(
> Will I be able to get it from a local Apple store on Tuesday since
> tomorrow is an American holiday? If not, then where can I get one
> quickly like from a local Orange County/Los Angeles area retail store?
> The old MacBook Pro is 13.3" 9,2 / MD102ll/A model with Intel Core I7
> CPU (2.9 ghz with 4 MB L3 cache (Turbo Boost up to 3.6 Ghz)) from 2012.

they don't sell them separately, but they might replace it, especially
if you have something under warranty. otherwise, you can buy the cable
for $19, which you probably already have.

Ant

May 26, 2019, 11:34:48 PM5/26/19
I'm OK to rebuy its whole AC power cable package. It's too old to be
under AppleCare since it was bought in 2012. :(

nospam

May 27, 2019, 12:03:17 AM5/27/19
In article <7JOdncDAzqJPx3bB...@earthlink.com>, Ant
<a...@zimage.comANT> wrote:

> > > https://imgur.com/a/VN9SaHQ shows the burned power adapter piece. :(
> > > Will I be able to get it from a local Apple store on Tuesday since
> > > tomorrow is an American holiday? If not, then where can I get one
> > > quickly like from a local Orange County/Los Angeles area retail store?
> > > The old MacBook Pro is 13.3" 9,2 / MD102ll/A model with Intel Core I7
> > > CPU (2.9 ghz with 4 MB L3 cache (Turbo Boost up to 3.6 Ghz)) from 2012.
>
> > they don't sell them separately, but they might replace it, especially
> > if you have something under warranty. otherwise, you can buy the cable
> > for $19, which you probably already have.
>
> I'm OK to rebuy its whole AC power cable package. It's too old to be
> under AppleCare since it was bought in 2012. :(

another mac would suffice, maybe even a phone.

however, if the burn was caused by a defective power adapter, it
*should* be replaced, and before it causes additional problems.

Ant

May 27, 2019, 3:11:58 AM5/27/19
Yeah, I think it is better to buy the whole thing new since those parts might be falling apart
for being old from 2012. I hope the local Apple store will have them when visiting in person!

--
Quote of the Week: "I used to command a battalion of German ants." --Tom

Ant

May 29, 2019, 12:19:00 AM5/29/19
Jolly Roger <jolly...@pobox.com> wrote:
> On 2019-05-27, Ant <a...@zimage.comANT> wrote:
> > nospam <nos...@nospam.invalid> wrote:

> >> they don't sell them separately, but they might replace it, especially
> >> if you have something under warranty. otherwise, you can buy the cable
> >> for $19, which you probably already have.
> >
> > I'm OK to rebuy its whole AC power cable package. It's too old to be
> > under AppleCare since it was bought in 2012. :(

> That doesn't mean they definitely won't replace it for free. You've been
> around this news group and Apple long enough to know that Apple often
> replaces and repairs things for free even outside of the warranty
> period. The only way you'll know is to bring it to them and see what
> they say.

So, we went in the local Apple store. They didn't have any in stock so
we had to pay for it online in the store to ship to home (free shipping
though). :(

--
Quote of the Week: "I used to command a battalion of German ants." --Tom

Ant

May 30, 2019, 9:23:31 PM5/30/19

> >> That doesn't mean they definitely won't replace it for free. You've been
> >> around this news group and Apple long enough to know that Apple often
> >> replaces and repairs things for free even outside of the warranty
> >> period. The only way you'll know is to bring it to them and see what
> >> they say.
> >
> > So, we went in the local Apple store. They didn't have any in stock so
> > we had to pay for it online in the store to ship to home (free shipping
> > though). :(

> No need for the frowny face. You didn't expect to get it for free. It
> was worth a shot. Maybe next time.

I have good news! Apple shipped overnight! Wow. Apple store guy said a
few days. OK, at least free shipping OVERNIGHT! Nice! :)