Wanted:Wiring diagram for Localtalk

Mark Cianfaglione

Sep 17, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/17/96

Hello...

Does anyone know the wiring connections for Localtalk? I want to connect
2 Macs (SE and IIsi) with an Imagwriter Printer. I would like to also
connect a PC if I could but that may be a pipe dream.

I've seen the Localtalk hookup boxes and there can't be much to them.

I'd appreciate any info...

Mark

Dickson Cho

Sep 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/22/96

As far as connecting your 2 macs together, just go to a store that sells
mac connectors or a magazine and buy 2 Appletalk Transievers. They are
about $10 each and get a normal phone extendor wire 2 RJ11 jacks on
them. (make sure that the YELLOW & BLACK wire's are present in the wire
since appletalk uses those 2 wires vs the RED & GREEN which the phone
company has) and turn on appleshare and set sharing on your HD. It's
really that simple. This will let you share files between each computer
and share HD's and stuff. However, your Imagewriter I believe can't be
networked becuase it is not background capable. Your printer can only
print from the computer that it is connected to.
However, I found a program call "PortShare" from www.shareware.com and
it supposedly allows you to share that printer & the old StyleWriter's
over an appletalk network. I'm in the process of trying it out now.

Dickson Cho
ch...@mis.ca
Fundy Telecom Ltd.
http://www.mi.net/dialin/chod/
" the space bar....umm...., it's the long button on the bottom of your
keyboard. . . ."
-From my last MIS job, trying to talk a newbie through an
installation over the phone
Network management is like trying to herd cats.

John Whitmore

Sep 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/25/96

In article <32405D...@grsi.com> dta...@grsi.com writes:
>> Does anyone know the wiring connections for Localtalk? I want to connect
>> 2 Macs (SE and IIsi) with an Imagwriter Printer. I would like to also
>> connect a PC if I could but that may be a pipe dream.
>>
>> I've seen the Localtalk hookup boxes and there can't be much to them.
>
>If you are referring to the common "PhoneNet" type connector boxes, you
>most likely can't build those yourself. They contain a transformer and
>some other passive ectronics.

I've built dozens. It's only fiscally responsible to
do so, however, if you can wind your own isolation transformers
(and you'd have to know something about designing them).
Buying the transformer part in small quantities would
be more expensive than just buying the prebuilt boxes.

The circuit diagram is very simple: just a 1:1
transformer, suitable for 150 ohm operation at circa 100 to 1000 kHz,
connected on one side to the network twisted pair, and
on the other side connected directly to the TXD+/TXD- wires,
and through 1k ohm resistors to the RXD+/RXD- wires.
The shield of the paired wires (not used in Phonenet, but present
in original AppleTalk wiring) should be capacitor-floated from
the local ground, just in case.

For an added fillip, you want to make sure the ends of
the network are terminated (with a resistor); it's different
in value between PhoneNet and Appletalk wiring, of course.
Unless your network is physically very large, it might not
be critical (or even necessary). I used stereo phone
jacks which have internal switches that engage when the
jack is removed, and Apple did something similar.

AMD's application note on the RS-422 chips Apple
used is a pretty good explanation of the scheme. And when
I made my transformers, I wondered greatly why Apple's version
used so large a core; it didn't fit the design requirements
at all. Then Phonenet came out (with a core smaller than
the one I'd decided on), and the mystery just deepened...

John Whitmore